ADVERTISEMENT

BW Hoops 21-2022

BurgundyHoops

Junior Varsity Reader
Dec 2, 2019
While many of you remain highly focused on what will be a fantastic finish to the football season, I want to kick off this thread for one of the most anticipated high school basketball seasons.

The conference that BW joined during the pandemic has morphed into the NIBC in full partnership with ESPN. The formalization of what started last year will feature all of the top teams in the county and ALL league games will be broadcast on ESPN. You can see the NIBC Announcement and Schedule even includes Cumberland's Bob Kirk Invitational Showcase.

They built a good bb program, will definitely make some noise in the ACITs

I understand some ppl in this group don’t like bb talk until after football is over..

Grew up in the Cumberland area and attended many an ACIT when BW would get waxed by every team there because they competed locally for the most part. So what happened? Glad to see the upgrade but who is paying for all the travel, bringing these guys in to compete at this level, etc. Who is that rich in the area to fund this craziness? Don’t get me wrong, happy for the program and will watch the televised games and root for BW but last I saw Cumberland has never recovered from the Kelly Springfield days so where is the money coming from?

Grew up in the Cumberland area and attended many an ACIT when BW would get waxed by every team there because they competed locally for the most part. So what happened? Glad to see the upgrade but who is paying for all the travel, bringing these guys in to compete at this level, etc. Who is that rich in the area to fund this craziness? Don’t get me wrong, happy for the program and will watch the televised games and root for BW but last I saw Cumberland has never recovered from the Kelly Springfield days so where is the money coming from?
Mainly Corporate sponsors. BW is a Nike Elite school which is the highest sponsorship Nike has. I believe there are only 200 Nike Elite basketball programs and 40 Nike Elite Football programs. Now that they are in the top basketball conference in the country which is partnered with ESPN, the school may get money from that.

Reactions: goeers12
Speaking of televised games, online ticket sales for the BKIS are now live. I think the games are on ESPN and ESPN+. The latter requires a subscription. But a strong turnout in person, much like at the ACIT, keeps teams and tournaments coming to Cumberland. The bigger the turnout, the better.

BKIS Tickets

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F185466309%2F279693127195%2F1%2Foriginal.20211113-205632

Isaiah Stewart who got into it with Lebron James today played in Cumberland against BW three years ago I believe. He was the 16 pick in the draft by the Pistons.

Bishop Walsh opens the season tonight at home against National Christian. BW starts off ranked #24 in MD and National Christian is ranked #11. This is the first game for both teams. National team plays at 7:30.

It was a great start to the season. Of BW's next three nationally-ranked opponents, they beat Legacy Early last year (their first win over a top-25 team). I expect all of BW's games to be very competitive. Their big man, Will Patterson, is the true post player they have been missing since Robinson-Nkamhoua graduated and they have a great 6th and 7th man. Also a HUGE advantage when you have 3 guys who can bring the ball up the court.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
9:00 tonight BW host the 7th ranked team in the country La Lumiere at Allegany College. The game is televised live on ESPN plus. Later this year BW is scheduled to play the current number 1,2,3 and 8 ranked teams in the country. 1 Montverde Academy, 2 IMG, 3 Sunrise and 8 Oak Hill.

Last edited:
BW only made 2 out of 20 shots in the first half. The game was still close until the fourth qtr then La Lumiere pulled away with a 57-35 victory. It was a good night of basketball. A decent crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurgundyHoops
WOW Bishop Walsh looked really bad in the first half but have come alive in the 2nd half and in this 3rd Quarter now took a 4 point lead, that place is rocking.... The Roof Might Come Off LOL

A lot of new guys playing it might take a little while for them to start clicking together. Looks like they will be in some games and have a chance to win a game against top high school competition.

Last edited:
I understand BW had 12 points at the half. If this is true I think people should lower the expectations a little. There’s a lot of energy with this program and that’s great but how about winning some games before we make them world beaters.

Reactions: alco65
BW was down 33-27 at the half. There is a lot of growth potential for the program and this early in the season not much to compare. You can look at Wasatch as overrated or La Lumiere as underrated, for example. BW lost by 22 to La Lumiere (ranked #4-6ish) while Wasatch (ranked #10) lost to La Lumiere by 29.

I don’t think anyone is saying BW is a world beater right now but the chance to play in the NIBC certainly gives them that opportunity. Whether or not Cumberland becomes the home of a perennial #25 team is something that remains to be seen.

Def not world beaters, but I think they will show they can play with the best without getting blown out every game. On another note ESPN plus showed parts of Cumberland mostly the lights downtown, George Washington building, etc which was cool. Since football season ends today it gives some of us interested something to talk about and discuss

Last edited:
BW gets the win over #10 Wasatch Academy 78-68. They went 1-2 in league play this weekend. Will be interesting to see how the NIBC impacts national rankings. Oak Hill now has 4 losses, for example, but should still be considered a top-10 team, IMO.

So when you say Wasatch Academy is ranked #10 what poll are you using? I don't see any of these teams at the BKIS listed in the MaxPreps Top 50. Was curious, thanks.
MaxPreps Poll

So when you say Wasatch Academy is ranked #10 what poll are you using? I don't see any of these teams at the BKIS listed in the MaxPreps Top 50. Was curious, thanks.
MaxPreps Poll
MaxPreps this year is doing separate rankings for "independent" programs, the NIBC teams are in those rankings:

If you get a chance to watch BW play, they have a junior guard, Jason Rivera-Torres he can play, he is a fun player to watch.

The polls that I generally look at at the Ball is Life Fab-50, MaxPreps, USAToday Super-25, and the new SCNext. None of these are consistent with one another, which can be very frustrating. For my earlier comment, I was just going with what ESPN had ranked the teams during the broadcast. I presume that was the SCNext (which is brand new for 21/22).

I was really impressed with the way Jason Rivera-Torres finished the showcase compared to where he started. I think he went something like 0-10 shooting in the first game. By the final game he looked like a completely different player who can score (and steal) at will. And it was needed.

Hopefully they can figure out a way to get there big man working the same way before the game against IMG on Friday in Florida. Unclear if the game will be streamed at this point.

Mikey Allen from Cumberland had a huge game tonight scored 31 points hitting 9 straight 3 pointers in BWs win.

Good win for the Spartans and good warm up for tomorrow's NIBC matchup with IMG. I am not expecting BW to come out of Bradenton with a win but if they put up a 50% shot percentage they will be in the game until the end, obviously. EPSN is airing the Monteverde v. Wasatch game so I don't think the this game will be on TV. However, BW's rematch with IMG on Jan. 6 will be.

For IMG, Keyonte George is the best shooting guard in the country and a 5-star recruit (heading to Baylor). That's a tough matchup for anyone and so far BW hasn't had to deal with that yet. That's only one of the THREE 5-star players on the team. Overall, IMG boasts 5 players in the 2022 class ranked in the top-50 overall.

On Friday, BW dropped their game to IMG, 77-48. IMG shot and incredible 61% from the field and was 8-16 from behind the arc. BW had more shots but couldn’t get them to fall. They were only 38% from the field.

They played Highland Christian in Florida today. Not sure of that outcome yet.

Dec. 20 and 21, BW is hosting the Spartan Invitational. The Burgundy team will be playing in it. Southern is playing the last game both days, it’s great to see a local team involved. Not only is Southern in the Spartan Invitational, they are playing in the prime time game

Last edited:
Reactions: BurgundyHoops
I agree: its great that Southern is participating in the Spartan Invitational. I hope there can be more engagement between the Burgundy team and other area schools and this seems like a good way to start. I am optimistic there will be a big turnout to support Southern in this event.

The White team travels to Morgantown today for back-to-back games against Notre Dame (Clarksburg) and Morgantown HS. I believe the games will be broadcast live on WCBC.

Morgantown picked up a W today against the national team in a game that saw them shoot the lights out, get some good help from the zebras on the floor, and Bishop Walsh do everything they possibly could do to lose. Credit to Morgantown as they clearly had a game plan, stuck to it, and executed well. BW's abysmal effort was just embarrassing. As suspected, the lack of a shot clock in WV really favored the Mohigans and they took full advantage.

Big props for Morgantown inviting BW, then played an exceptional game to get the Win. Morgantown gym was electric, the fans were into the game before it started and never let up. Great atmosphere in Morgantown today and huge win, congratulations. Bishop Walsh won against Notre Dame. Transfer Mike Williams joined the team this weekend getting a lot of playing time and was one of the top scorers.

The BW Burgundy team lost to Woodgrove VA at the Handley showcase in Winchester today, I think the final score was 60-49.

Spartans went 0-3 at the La Porte Invitational. The only thing to say here is that the depth (or lack thereof) was a major factor. Two of BW's starters were in sweats the whole weekend, including Jason Torres. I am not going to say that having a full roster available would have led to a win but it certainly would not have hurt. When you are facing a team like Montverde that brings a guy like 2024 Derik Queen OFF THE BENCH you can't be shorthanded and expect to win.

BW gets some time off until a matchup with St Benedict's Prep on the 16.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT