ADVERTISEMENT

BW Hoops 21-2022

Bishop Walsh fell to Imhotep Charter Philadelphia last night 61-49. BW is still without two of their starters and it shows. Their game against St. Benedict's Prep today has been cancelled due to weather. Hopefully we will see Jason Torres back for their next game on the 21 and a full roster in time for the next NIBC showcase.

In other news, Paul VI (who lost their first WCAC league game against Bishop McNamara) took down #8 Sierra Canyon in front of 10,000 fans at the Bass Pro Shops event in Missouri. It was a rematch between the two teams who faced off in the championship of the Iolani Classic in Hawaii earlier in the year. Sierra Canyon came out on top in that event. The game was on ESPN.

Bishop Walsh plays in the final weekend of the NIBC in NJ starting today. They will play the #1 team in the nation, Sunrise Christian, at 3pm on ESPNU. Tomorrow is a rematch against Legacy Early College followed by a rematch with #11 Wasatch Academy. A healthy BW has a strong chance of going 2-1 in this session. Games and 3 will be on ESPN+.

Metro Classic

Reactions: cumbfanatic
BW lost to Legacy by 1 at the foul line with .9 sec left. Take out some sloppy off ball offensive turnovers and this should be a BW win by 5-10.

But let me back up an address the earlier point: yes, this had been a very disappointing season. But let's break that down a little bit in hope of providing some compelling optimism for the end of this season and beyond.

1) the loss of Malik Bowman was HUGE. This kid was a 6'8" force. Top 20 player in his class. It is not like BW knew he was going to turn pro as a junior and had time to replace him. It was a total surprise in September and that production could not be quickly replaced. Bowman was in BW's program since he was an 8th grader.

2) BWs program development was set by 2 years. not just with COVID, but also the NIBC. The overseas players that BW had recruited need more time to develop compared to NIBC counterparts both in size and, more importantly, speed. Look for BW to aggressively recruit domestically this summer to build out around its junior core and be very strong next season. nothing less than a 4 star recruit will suffice if they expect to leave the basement of the NIBC.

3) this season they missed out on nearly a dozen games that would have helped the new team gel. you can see how this is missing in many of its NIBC games. Mike Williams has been a HUGE addition but it would have been great to have him from the start.

Overall, what with saw today with Isaac Temilola is an example of what BW needed all season: a rim protector who can finish strong. Now the guards just have to figure out how to get him the ball down low. This is something they haven't really done in a game all season.

This leads into a compelling ACIT. Depending on the draw, the lineup today vs Legacy has a chance to win 2 games and make it to the tournament championship. If not, I would expect that to be a top goal of the 22/23 season.

My grandson has a middle school game tomorrow at BW - he plays for Washington Middle School. No one is allowed in the gym but people who live in the household. This struck me as really weird considering it was BW who still had in-person classroom when all public schools were virtual in 2020-21. All the other middle school league games in both MD and WV have no such rule.

When the BW varsity plays at home is this the rule? What gives?

Yes, the rule is for Middle and Highschool at BW. It doesn’t make a lot of sense. When BW hosted games at Allegany College the rule was not in effect and fans could attend.

Its a mixed bag of attendance policies across the state at the high school level. This is the first I have heard about middle school. Regardless, the mask policy was just lifted by the Archdiocese so I would expect attendance policy to change as well. I do know the burgundy team games have been limited to attendance in the same way you described above. The National team hasn't played a home game since the beginning of the season. They were supposed to play over the weekend in NY but that was cancelled. Not sure why.

There is no such a thing as COVID logic...not in public or private institutions. Like I said, all the other middle school basketball teams have no such attendance rule. BW was the only one. Yet BW will be the first to lift the mask mandate and was never really virtual much in 2020-2021 school year while the public schools were the whole time. Makes zero sense from both sides.

Halftime BW 35 Scotland Campus 26
Mike Allen has 5 three pointers in the first half and 18 points.

BW lost by 3, the first time they played Scotland Campus BW scored over 100 points, this time they scored 66. BW has 3 players out 1 being the starting point guard and 1 being a top player. BW has work to do if they want a good showing at the ACIT. They have the talent to compete, but they can’t perform overall like they been lately.

Last edited:
all things considered, BW has a good path to the championship if they play well. DeMatha is very beatable and so is St Frances/McNamara.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Based on the current Maxpreps rankings, the ACIT will include:

#11 Paul VI
#21 Long Island Lutheran
#32 St Frances
#36 Bishop McNamara
#46 DeMatha
#47 Mt. St. Joseph

That is pretty damn good. Consider Gonzaga was ranked up until league play in the WCAC started. This should be one of the most competitive ACIT and with the option to showcase games on Friday and Saturday (if necessary) there is plenty to like for local hoops fans.

They always give Dematha the easiest path is the problem I have with the ACIT, just like this year there is 4 Teams ahead of them and they have the easiest path again.

you are in luck then. based on the state of the Dematha team, it might be a few years before we see them back. they need to hire a coach.

Halftime BW 37 Dematha 28

Local Mike Allen is leading BW.
BW has only one senior that plays and 7 players already with offers to the next level.

BW had the lead up until 3 minutes remaining in the game, ended up losing 57-53. I said it before and will say it again way too much talent on that team for the way they are performing. They shouldn’t have lost tonight to Dematha

End of 3rd quarter Bishop Walsh 34 Bishop McNamara 30.

This year all the teams in the ACIT are fairly even, it’s apparent they aren’t close to the teams in the NIBC (except BW) The NIBC teams are at a different level this year.

Dematha who BW had a 10- 13 point lead against most of the game the first night made it to the championship.

Mount Saint Joes hit a 3 pointer with 4 seconds left to go up by 2. Mike Allen hit another 3 pointer at the buzzer to give BW the win 74-73. BW went 2-1 in the ACIT, only game they lost to Dematha they lead the entire game. The question is answered yes, Bishop Walsh is competitive in the ACIT. It was an awesome atmosphere the bleachers behind the BW bench were full. The Frostburg Gym was about 85 - 90 percent full.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Big news in the NIBC (BW's League) yesterday was the addition of two more top-25 programs. One, Long Island Lutheran, the area has already seen now and will likely return to the BKIS. The second is AZ Compass Prep. This was announced on twitter

NIBC on Twitter

The top 8 teams in the country are playing a tournament for the National Championship, 6 of the 8 are from the NIBC. The other 2 are AZ Compass Prep and Prolific Prep

Montverde won the National Championship 60-49. Montverde beat BW 78-45 and Dematha 86-65 this year. Montverde girls also won the National Championship.

Not really a surprise to see MVA win. They dominated everyone all season. And they probably would have been undefeated had Jalen Duren not reclassified to attend Memphis. Of course, they are losing arguably the true "best" player in the country, Dariq Whitehead (who has been in the program since the 8th grade) but they are a team that reloads rather than rebuilds. To that end, they have signed 2025 twin forwards Cooper and Ace Flagg from Maine. I fully expect them to hold the #1 spot most of next season but I think their games against BW will be closer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT