ADVERTISEMENT

BW Hoops 2022-2023

cumbfanatic

Franchise Poster
Sep 13, 2009
If interested google and check out Khani Rooths sophomore highlights, next year he will be playing at Bishop Walsh, great pick-up. ESPN top 60 for 2024 has him ranked as #40 in the country in the 2024 class. They have him listed as small forward, he also plays shooting guard and point guard. At 6’8 very exciting player Also, Carter McDole is transferring to BW.

BW should be much more athletic, around the rim especially next season, to go along with a top notch shooter in Mikey Allen and crafty PG TJ Robinson, they should have a very good team but will still have to go up against the best in the NIBC, will be good to hopefully have a covid free season where they get a good many games in outside of the league play.

Definitely some great offseason work the BW staff did in bringing in some talented 24s. I expect more to be announced by the end of the month. The McDole pick up is really something. This kid is very underrated. He played for Montverde as a freshman before transferring to public power Dr Phillips. The Dr Phillips coach left and BW was able to extend its recruiting reach all the way down to Florida. I think that is a pretty strong flex. The Rooths pick up is also a nice showcase of BW's gaining reputation in the DMV. Rooths was at Georgetown Prep and instantly becomes BW's highest "ranked" player in the overall category. That being said, BW still needs to find that large inside presence it missed desperately last season. Its not going to be easy to put a body on Derik Queen (MVA) or Sunrise's new 7'1" center.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Bishop Walsh scrimmaged this past weekend in the DMV Live showcase. They went 1-2 against Paul VI, Bullis, and Bishop Ireton. They will return this weekend to play Providence Day School, Rock Creek, Dematha, and Good Better Best Academy.

DMV Live

The NIBC schedule has just been released. BW opens the season in Utah against Wasatch on November 22. They will also travel to Kansas, Indiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and South Carolina this season. The Bob Kirk Showcase schedule has also been released:

Bob Kirk Invitational Showcase, Cumberland, Md.

Dec. 8: Sunrise Christian Academy vs. Legacy Early College

Montverde Academy vs. Bishop Walsh

Dec. 9: La Lumiere vs. Sunrise Christian Academy

Montverde Academy vs. Oak Hill Academy

Dec. 10: Legacy Early College vs. Bishop Walsh

La Lumiere vs. Oak Hill Academy

Additional coverage can be found here. TV schedule is TBD.

Setting aside Fort Hill dominance in the state of Western Maryland and their national schedule…

BW has replaced the loss of Mikey Allen with Mikkel Tyne (formerly of Montverde) from Canada and added a GREAT underclassman (2025) in Cam Fleming.

Will be fun to see how they all come together this season when they open on ESPN against Wasatch in November.

Last year BW showed they were as good as anyone in the ACIT, since then they added some big time players. Like you said it will be up to how they come together.

Last edited:
Setting aside Fort Hill dominance in the state of Western Maryland and their national schedule…

BW has replaced the loss of Mikey Allen with Mikkel Tyne (formerly of Montverde) from Canada and added a GREAT underclassman (2025) in Cam Fleming.

Will be fun to see how they all come together this season when they open on ESPN against Wasatch in November.
is rivera torres coming back for his senior year. was very good when he was healthy.

That is what I hear. Hopefully he can stay healthy. He has real potential at the next level if he can develop his game over a full season.

So its my understanding that Rooths never made it to BW, he instead went to IMG, Robinson decided not to come back and stayed in Jersey, Dormu wasn't invited back, and Rivera Torres is not back either ( not positive on that) Allen left to play football at Fort Hill, my understanding is he is welcome and eligible to return for BB if he choses. ( my guess is that he won't) Mike Williams is the only returning player of relevance from last years team. That's a lot to replace. Following the AAU circuit just a little it seems they lost more than they gained. I saw Tyne, and Sutton play last year (nice players), but I would rather have Robinson, and Rivera Torres. Rooths may be the biggest lose, and BW will miss Allen more than some may think. Just one mans opinion. I hope they show well.

Last edited:
That is right. Rooths was one of the targets of IMG the entire time. Carter McDole also "left" and is attending Olympia in Florida. TJ Robinson departed for a private school in NJ. Mike Williams is the only returning starter at this point. I keep hearing Torres is "reporting" on Oct 1 so stay tuned for that.

Overall, BW added both Sutton and Tyne, who both have NIBC experience. They are also both seniors which the team really lacked last year. They also added Ralph Akuta (a 7-foot big man) and Manny Okitondo (formerly of Oak Hill). Cam Fleming is coming in as an underclassman. I am sure there are others that I am just not tracking.

The loss of Will Patterson is not going to hurt BW. Aside from being tall, he really didn't add much and rarely played towards the end of the season. BW went with a small lineup of shooters which was sort of necessary.

Is BW better than they were last year? I think the answer to that is yes. How much better? We won't know until November.

BW is still a "new" program compared to its peers in the NIBC. And each year there is some new wrinkle across the high school hoops scene that the program has to adapt to. I joke that we will see trades soon!

Reactions: ravemwp
That is right. Rooths was one of the targets of IMG the entire time. Carter McDole also "left" and is attending Olympia in Florida. TJ Robinson departed for a private school in NJ. Mike Williams is the only returning starter at this point. I keep hearing Torres is "reporting" on Oct 1 so stay tuned for that.

Overall, BW added both Sutton and Tyne, who both have NIBC experience. They are also both seniors which the team really lacked last year. They also added Ralph Akuta (a 7-foot big man) and Manny Okitondo (formerly of Oak Hill). Cam Fleming is coming in as an underclassman. I am sure there are others that I am just not tracking.

The loss of Will Patterson is not going to hurt BW. Aside from being tall, he really didn't add much and rarely played towards the end of the season. BW went with a small lineup of shooters which was sort of necessary.

Is BW better than they were last year? I think the answer to that is yes. How much better? We won't know until November.

BW is still a "new" program compared to its peers in the NIBC. And each year there is some new wrinkle across the high school hoops scene that the program has to adapt to. I joke that we will see trades soon!

Just re-read my post and edited it. I had the name Patterson, When I was thinking about Robinson. He Robinson is a big loss. Agreed about Patterson, Akuta is the same as Patterson in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing Manny O. I know the BW was flirting with a big from Pittsburgh area a 2024 big Royce Parham, I was hoping he would show up here. That's funny about seeing trades soon, I call it (in search of minutes trade) for example Tyne traded in 8-10 minutes a game at Montverde, to 25 minutes at BW. Same with Sutton trades spot in 8 man rotation at Legacy to probable solid starter at BW and closer to home.

BW 4 Star guard Mike Williams selected LSU out of a long list of possibilities. BW plays some home games this year at Allegany College

Schedule is very challenging this year, home games include WCAC foes Bishop McNamara and Paul VI who is ranked highly in most top 25 preseason polls in addition to the NIBC schedule and a few other challenging tournaments. Good to see some quality regular season home games finally on the schedule.

BW 4 Star guard Mike Williams selected LSU out of a long list of possibilities. BW plays some home games this year at Allegany College
The kid had a huge AAU summer, really upped his game. Turned that into multiple power 5 offers. Great defender. Good luck to the young man.

Last edited:
By far the toughest schedule for the program so far. I think there will be more TV coverage all well. I agree its great that more teams are starting to come to Cumberland during the regular season. Big time all around.

Saw Bishop Walsh opener tonight. Very impressive in beating Olympus Prep from New Jersey. Not sure of the level of competition, but a well rounded team effort from BW.

Last edited:
I hear the squad this year is very athletic. I am looking forward to seeing what they can do against a top-25 Wasatch in Utah next week. Hats off to Olympus Prep for travelling to Cumberland for the match up. I think this is two years in a row now.

I hear the squad this year is very athletic. I am looking forward to seeing what they can do against a top-25 Wasatch in Utah next week. Hats off to Olympus Prep for travelling to Cumberland for the match up. I think this is two years in a row now.
Yes they are very athletic. They are bigger overall more 6'3" to 6'8" balance. They will miss Mikey Allen, most people think of him as a spot up shooter, but his true value is as power point guard, that is a deadly shooter. People here haven't seen him play with the ball in his hands since his freshman year, when he was the Burgundy team MVP. The kid they have playing the point now is nice, but only 5'9". Mikey would have been a perfect fit with this years squad. We will see next week. Looking forward to some good basketball.

Last edited:
Montverde is ranked #1 by espn, they will come to Cumberland Dec 8 to face BW Montverde has two 5 star and three 4 star players on the team
Paul VI is #8 by espn they play BW Jan 21 at Allegany College as well

Here we go again..........BW is playing the best team in the WORLD!!!! NBA teams refuse to play them!!!! Yeah right.

Luckily you don't have to take board members word for it you can just read the rankings yourself.

I believe there are less than thirty 5 star basketball players in the country and 2 play at Montverde. Sean Stewart committed to Duke, and Kwame Evans committed to Oregon. Also, Montverde has Chris Johnson- Kentucky, Malik Reneau- Indiana, Skyy Clark - Illinois, and many other players highly recruited by D1 schools. Just putting the information out there for people that like highschool sports some of the best players in the country will be playing in Cumberland.

Quite a number of storylines from the tournament in Utah:

1) Despite a fairly dominant first half, BW was ICE COLD in the 2nd half and fell 63-50 to Wasatch.
2) #2 AZ Compass took down #1 Montverde 65-54
3) UNRANKED American Fork from UT took down #4 Sunrise Christian 56-55

That last one was like the BW/Morgantown game last year.

BW has one game scheduled against Corner Canyon today before returning home.

Quite a number of storylines from the tournament in Utah:

1) Despite a fairly dominant first half, BW was ICE COLD in the 2nd half and fell 63-50 to Wasatch.
2) #2 AZ Compass took down #1 Montverde 65-54
3) UNRANKED American Fork from UT took down #4 Sunrise Christian 56-55

That last one was like the BW/Morgantown game last year.

BW has one game scheduled against Corner Canyon today before returning home.
Got the brakes beaten off of them today. 88-63. Not a good trip to Utah. Early assessment with only a small sample size. This team doesn't shoot very well, missing way to many easy shots. On a positive note, the fact they get easy shots is a plus. My opinion is that the talent they brought in doesn't match the talent that they lost. Would still rather see Robinson, Riviera Torres, Allen, and Rooths, along with Williams as opposed to what they brought in. Time will tell. Although Okitondo looks like a player.

Last edited:
Got the brakes beaten off of them today. 88-63. Not a good trip to Utah. Early assessment with only a small sample size. This team doesn't shoot very well, missing way to many easy shots. On a positive note, the fact they get easy shots is a plus. My opinion is that the talent they brought in doesn't match the talent that they lost. Would still rather see Robinson, Riviera Torres, Allen, and Rooths, along with Williams as opposed to what they brought in. Time will tell. Although Okitondo looks like a player.
I certainly don’t have a dog in the fight, but does anyone think the “revolving door” among basketball players at BW is an issue - or is it the norm with such programs?

I certainly don’t have a dog in the fight, but does anyone think the “revolving door” among basketball players at BW is an issue - or is it the norm with such programs?
if you look at the other teams in their league its basically a 5 out 5 in every year. That is at least the model Montverde and IMG run. some of the other teams in the league like BW and LuHi, for example, are trying to establish more of the program pipeline. But i agree with you that its a problem when guys are not used to playing with each other. Some of the other teams in the league had already played half a dozen games by the time BW played its first.

Sometimes players don't develop as well and they no longer make sense in the program. So they end up leaving. Other times (rooths, for example) get lured to florida for palm trees and pro style facilities and you need to replace them. Last year i know of one team who had visa issues due to covid so they had to recruit basically a brand new offense on the fly.

i do think it will sort itself out naturally.

if you look at the other teams in their league its basically a 5 out 5 in every year. That is at least the model Montverde and IMG run. some of the other teams in the league like BW and LuHi, for example, are trying to establish more of the program pipeline. But i agree with you that its a problem when guys are not used to playing with each other. Some of the other teams in the league had already played half a dozen games by the time BW played its first.

Sometimes players don't develop as well and they no longer make sense in the program. So they end up leaving. Other times (rooths, for example) get lured to florida for palm trees and pro style facilities and you need to replace them. Last year i know of one team who had visa issues due to covid so they had to recruit basically a brand new offense on the fly.

i do think it will sort itself out naturally.
Thanks for the explanation.

Regarding your last statement: How will it sort itself out naturally? How long does a school continue to support such inconsistency while waiting on that which is consistent?

If you look at BW, they are 5 years into their program. in the first year, they did not yet establish a national schedule. They did that in year 2. then came COVID and they lost year 3. Year 4 saw the start up of the NIBC which requires entirely different players than the program initially was planning to recruit. Its a difference of trying to compete for Geico versus win the WCAC. Winning in the NIBC and Geico is now the new goal and year 5 (current year) is basically the beginning of the program again.

This year's class of players experienced challenges which the school/coaches addressed. thats a long way of saying i don't think the school will give up on what the program is trying to accomplish but it realistically may take another 2-3 years IMO before BW sees the consistent top-25 level its aiming for.

It's the norm. The teams in these types of programs have constant turnover. The players move around in search of minutes. To have players for more than 2 years is unusual. For instance IMG Academy in Florida this year picked up 3 top transfers from the DMV. Tucker a top junior from Mt. Saint Joe, in Baltimore, Kaiser a U of Maryland commit from northern Virginia, and Khani Rooths, a top junior from DC, who originally was committed to Bishop Walsh. Everyone trying to upgrade their college offers. It's hard to get emotionally involved with the constant turnover, yet if you like good basketball, it's fun to watch talent against talent. Having Mikey Allen there helped peak the area interest. BTW he is every bit as good as the talent they have there. Anyone thinking he left because of concerns of playing time is wrong. He would start for this team, and they really miss his deadly shooting. IMHO.

BW play is very disappointing so far, even though they are playing great competition, they should be playing much better

BW play is very disappointing so far, even though they are playing great competition, they should be playing much better
They play hard. They don't shoot very well. Only down by 8 to Sunrise yesterday until midway through 3rd. Then couldn't by a basket.

I agree its been a poor start to the season. BW gets plenty of open shots and fails to convert (even missing dunks!). combine that with abysmal rebounding and its amazing BW is still in the game at the half or beyond. Hopefully we see some improvements this week.

BW takes on Montverde tonight at AC as part of the Bob Kirk. Montverde is (as of 3 days ago) ranked #3 in the country by ESPN's Current rankings. Tip off is at 6pm and will be live on ESPN+.

ADVERTISEMENT