ADVERTISEMENT

BW Hoops 2022-2023

BW looked ok against Montverde, the third quarter did them in, every other quarter was pretty even. You can tell BW is just missing that elite scorer and big man that all of these other teams have. Mike Williams is great but there needs to be a complimentary piece that just isn't there this year. Prete has said as much as it just takes time to build a program, BW doesn't have the resources of an IMG or others so you really have to build it.

On a side note, Cumberland really supports these events well, good crowds, sponsors, etc. If you watch a lot of other similar events around the country they're being played in mostly empty gyms. Great to see the community support as the event grows.

BW looked ok against Montverde, the third quarter did them in, every other quarter was pretty even. You can tell BW is just missing that elite scorer and big man that all of these other teams have. Mike Williams is great but there needs to be a complimentary piece that just isn't there this year. Prete has said as much as it just takes time to build a program, BW doesn't have the resources of an IMG or others so you really have to build it.

On a side note, Cumberland really supports these events well, good crowds, sponsors, etc. If you watch a lot of other similar events around the country they're being played in mostly empty gyms. Great to see the community support as the event grows.
Walsh just don't have the guns to compete with some of these teams. For instance BW has a player that left Montverde, and a player that left Legacy to come here for more playing time. Prete does have these kids play hard. It will take time to catch up to these other programs. Let's hope they stay with it. For as good as Williams is, Even he would have trouble playing the amount of minutes he plays at BW.

Reactions: cumbfanatic

Prete has been there for 4 years already. It seems like the same conversations are being had every year about the short comings at BW. Wasn’t he billed as a great recruiter when he agreed to take over BW but every year it’s always he doesn’t have the talent to win. It’s great that BW are playing in that league and that they are competitive but at what point is being competitive not good enough

Prete has been there for 4 years already. It seems like the same conversations are being had every year about the short comings at BW. Wasn’t he billed as a great recruiter when he agreed to take over BW but every year it’s always he doesn’t have the talent to win. It’s great that BW are playing in that league and that they are competitive but at what point is being competitive not good enough
It's a valid question, it's year 4 but the pandemic certainly slowed the process, it's hard when you're starting from scratch without the resources that these established programs have. Imo BW will let Prete roll with it as long as he wants, without him building a foundation here it's not something that would be sustainable when/if he leaves. In this day it's all about recruiting, none of these kids stay put for more than a year or two, they have to keep building and making relationships to get those 4 & 5 star kids here. Certainly having guys like Olivier at Tennessee and Jalen Miller at Rutgers and Mike Williams at LSU will help

Walsh just don't have the guns to compete with some of these teams. For instance BW has a player that left Montverde, and a player that left Legacy to come here for more playing time. Prete does have these kids play hard. It will take time to catch up to these other programs. Let's hope they stay with it. For as good as Williams is, Even he would have trouble playing the amount of minutes he plays at BW.
I think they thought Sutton would be that complimentary scorer to Williams but they haven't clicked at the same time yet

Prete will get a pass with just being competitive in the league. However, he was brought in to win the ACIT. BW still has not even made it to the ACIT championship game.
BW is paying a big salary to a coach just to be at the "competitive" level.

Prete will get a pass with just being competitive in the league. However, he was brought in to win the ACIT. BW still has not even made it to the ACIT championship game.
BW is paying a big salary to a coach just to be at the "competitive" level.
Last year they lost 1 game in the ACIT to the team that won the Championship. Can’t remember the details, but I believe BW had the lead throughout the game or it was close. BW has become very competitive in the ACIT.
won 2 games and lost 1 to the champion last year

Reactions: SS610
I appreciated the interview Dan did with the Times News on their podcast. I would encourage anyone to listen since you get a much better sense of where the program started, where its going, and what its going to take to get there.

In other news, BW alum Olivier Nkamhoua had a team high 35 minutes and 8 points in Tennessee's win against Maryland. As Dan said on the podcast, its all about finding under-recruited high ceiling players like Olivier. I really like the Okitondo kid so far. Plenty of room to grow and he could turn into a real stud over the course of the season and into next year.

I am patiently awaiting the true "big" that the program has so far lacked but based on what other teams in the NIBC are doing, you need a bunch of 6'9" guards who can shoot 3's all day.

HUGE pick up for the Spartans was announced yesterday. 2026 PG Jasiah Cannady, one of the top-ranked players in his class (and in the DMV) is transferring to BW. Jasiah will immediately be an impact player and leaves O'Connell where he was starting on varsity as a freshman. This will really help the offense since BW needed more players to bring the ball up the floor and improve their 3pt shooting. Cannady fills both these roles nicely.

Jasiah already holds several high major offers from K-State, Geogia Tech, VT, and Missisippi. Between Fleming and Cannady, BW has quietly picked up some of the top underclassmen from the DMV. Monteverde was also recruiting Cannady so its nice to see that BW is able to compete on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: ravemwp
HUGE pick up for the Spartans was announced yesterday. 2026 PG Jasiah Cannady, one of the top-ranked players in his class (and in the DMV) is transferring to BW. Jasiah will immediately be an impact player and leaves O'Connell where he was starting on varsity as a freshman. This will really help the offense since BW needed more players to bring the ball up the floor and improve their 3pt shooting. Cannady fills both these roles nicely.

Jasiah already holds several high major offers from K-State, Geogia Tech, VT, and Missisippi. Between Fleming and Cannady, BW has quietly picked up some of the top underclassmen from the DMV. Monteverde was also recruiting Cannady so its nice to see that BW is able to compete on the recruiting trail.
Getting them is step 1. Keeping them is the difficult part. Khani Rooths was a big get, then a big lose without even stepping on the floor at BW. He is now starting at IMG. Lets hope this kid hangs around. I like when Prete gets them early. Just can't seem to keep them all the way through anymore.

With the recruiting, dormitories etc. BW is definitely not where they should be. I was sold for a short time that they are heading in the right direction. Don’t see it. If they were headed in the right direction they would be better than last year, which they are not.

I just read the posts regarding the players transferring to BW along with their achievements. But haven't we heard all this before? Wasn't this team billed as a team that can finish in the top 3 in their league?
I agree with 3rd and goals. When Coach Prete (and BW basketball) started this transformation it was to WIN at the national level. This attempt for national greatness has fallen short.
Maybe the BW Elite should stop scheduling on the national level and go back to playing local teams.
I was so excited when this idea was conceived. But it has not panned out as expected.

Couple things:

1) the loss to McNamara was disappointing. It was another game where poor play in a single quarter cost the Spartans the game. That has been pretty much the story of the season. At this level, you can't take a minute off or you will find yourself in a hole without enough time to dig out.

2) its pretty obvious things have not gone "as planned" going back to Malik Bowman leaving the program and going pro. Lets not forget he started at BW in the 8th grade and grew up in the program. That being said, its clear that BW can get it done but it will take more time than many had hoped and the setbacks along the way have been glaring. However, BW now has a solid crop of underclass players. If they can 1) reach their potential and 2) stick with the program there is plenty of hope

3) BW is missing a rebounder. period. That has been the case since Olivier graduated. They get plenty of open looks, plenty of misses, and have no ability to rebound the ball. That should pretty much be the priority for the next player in the door.

4) I think some people forget just how long it takes to build up a program. Just look at the well oiled machine that Fort Hill runs. Obviously that was not built overnight. Other schools like Sunrise took over a decade to reach where they are today. IMG just threw so much money at the program its basically the New York Yankees. And Kevin Boyle took some lumps and came with plenty of controversy when he left NJ for Montverde. Dan is the right man for the job that BW has and the fact that he has been able to make the team part of the NIBC speaks volumes of the relationships he has to build up BW to a national level.

5) as for playing local teams, that ain't happening. Local schools won't even schedule the burgundy team! Other schools like McNamara and PVI are just playing BW this year. Lets consider them "local" for now. It took what, 4 years to get the WCAC to schedule a regular season game against us? Its not like BW hasn't asked to play DeMatha home and home. Its nearly impossible to schedule these teams because they have their own national schedule to consider before league play starts. BW has a built in national schedule and like the other NIBC teams, have a difficult time finding games outside of tournaments.

6) i think this team is better than last year man for man. But they lack the team identity they had last year and they lack the travis roberts leadership aspect. Don't get me wrong, Mike Williams is a fantastic player. But i don't see the same on the court veteran leadership. It also hurts when your "big" guys miss dunks and rebounds.

7) thats a long way of saying i don't see a turnaround coming this season. Keep the focus on bringing in the players you need, make it to the ACIT championship, and spend the summer finding that 4 or 5 star player you need to wrap it all up and put a bow on it. Maybe take the schedule down a notch next year.

Reactions: SS610
I just read the posts regarding the players transferring to BW along with their achievements. But haven't we heard all this before? Wasn't this team billed as a team that can finish in the top 3 in their league?
I agree with 3rd and goals. When Coach Prete (and BW basketball) started this transformation it was to WIN at the national level. This attempt for national greatness has fallen short.
Maybe the BW Elite should stop scheduling on the national level and go back to playing local teams.
I was so excited when this idea was conceived. But it has not panned out as expected.
This turnover of kids at this level has always been there. The creation of this elite league has created a fast and furious transfer rate among those schools. I believe this has been an unseen, and unexpected circumstance when the league was conceived. My guess is that the return rate for eligible players is about 30 percent throughout the league. I don't know the actual numbers, but even IMG has 3 starters who were not there last year. Sunrise, LaLu, Oak Hill, Wasatch, etc, all with completely different teams. A lot was expected for this BW team this season. Unfortunately for Prete he lost four possible starters in mid to late August. Rooths to IMG, Allen to Fort Hill football, and two starters from last year TJ Robinson who committed to Louisville, then decided to stay at home in NJ and play, and Riviera- Torres who can't decide if he wants to play basketball or be an actor. In any case all of these kids left in mid to late August and Prete was unable to replace the talent that left on such short notice. It's a big task to keep up with the Jones, when you first have to catch up to them. Not making excuses, BW knew what they were getting into. I hope they are able to sustain and get competitive. It is great brand of basketball, and draws interest to the area.

Last edited:
5) as for playing local teams, that ain't happening. Local schools won't even schedule the burgundy team! Other schools like McNamara and PVI are just playing BW this year. Lets consider them "local" for now. It took what, 4 years to get the WCAC to schedule a regular season game against us? Its not like BW hasn't asked to play DeMatha home and home. Its nearly impossible to schedule these teams because they have their own national schedule to consider before league play starts. BW has a built in national schedule and like the other NIBC teams, have a difficult time finding games outside of tournaments.
so BW has tried to get Dematha on the Schedule and they say no? Why do they keep inviting them to The ACIT? I mean I understand when they Win Their League but Dematha gets invited every year even when they did not have a Great Season, Stop those invites and see what happens.

Couple things:

1) the loss to McNamara was disappointing. It was another game where poor play in a single quarter cost the Spartans the game. That has been pretty much the story of the season. At this level, you can't take a minute off or you will find yourself in a hole without enough time to dig out.

2) its pretty obvious things have not gone "as planned" going back to Malik Bowman leaving the program and going pro. Lets not forget he started at BW in the 8th grade and grew up in the program. That being said, its clear that BW can get it done but it will take more time than many had hoped and the setbacks along the way have been glaring. However, BW now has a solid crop of underclass players. If they can 1) reach their potential and 2) stick with the program there is plenty of hope

3) BW is missing a rebounder. period. That has been the case since Olivier graduated. They get plenty of open looks, plenty of misses, and have no ability to rebound the ball. That should pretty much be the priority for the next player in the door.

4) I think some people forget just how long it takes to build up a program. Just look at the well oiled machine that Fort Hill runs. Obviously that was not built overnight. Other schools like Sunrise took over a decade to reach where they are today. IMG just threw so much money at the program its basically the New York Yankees. And Kevin Boyle took some lumps and came with plenty of controversy when he left NJ for Montverde. Dan is the right man for the job that BW has and the fact that he has been able to make the team part of the NIBC speaks volumes of the relationships he has to build up BW to a national level.

6) i think this team is better than last year man for man. But they lack the team identity they had last year and they lack the travis roberts leadership aspect. Don't get me wrong, Mike Williams is a fantastic player. But i don't see the same on the court veteran leadership. It also hurts when your "big" guys miss dunks and rebounds.

7) thats a long way of saying i don't see a turnaround coming this season. Keep the focus on bringing in the players you need, make it to the ACIT championship, and spend the summer finding that 4 or 5 star player you need to wrap it all up and put a bow on it. Maybe take the schedule down a notch next year.
Does prete trying to get kids to come to Cumberland have an effect on how he’s recruiting? Was he a labeled a great recruiter because he could get anyone he wanted or because of the location of the school he was at. Trying to convince a 16 year old kid to come to Cumberland doesn’t seem like it would go well.

Building a championship program takes time but shouldn’t BW have more than 1 singular win in that league by now?

so BW has tried to get Dematha on the Schedule and they say no? Why do they keep inviting them to The ACIT? I mean I understand when they Win Their League but Dematha gets invited every year even when they did not have a Great Season, Stop those invites and see what happens.
Yes. DeMatha has declined a match up. There is a lot of WCAC politics to unpack so I will leave it there. But up until last year, the ACIT champion always received an invite back the following year. That is no longer the case. Otherwise, the agreement is to take the WCAC champion. This looks like a year where PVI is going to run away with the WCAC so you actually might not see DeMatha back in the ACIT in 2023.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
BW has no control or never has had control of who gets invited to The ACIT. They are the host, but is run by the Order of the Alhambra. For many years there was and still are contractual obligations of many Catholic leagues. Over the years. DC, Northern VA, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chicago, Pittsburgh, New York City have all had certain obligations. Over the years some of these cities have Included the private schools to participate in the state tournaments, with the public schools, thus diminishing the pool of teams from some of these big cities. Again BW has no say in who gets invited.

It's a valid question, it's year 4 but the pandemic certainly slowed the process, it's hard when you're starting from scratch without the resources that these established programs have. Imo BW will let Prete roll with it as long as he wants, without him building a foundation here it's not something that would be sustainable when/if he leaves. In this day it's all about recruiting, none of these kids stay put for more than a year or two, they have to keep building and making relationships to get those 4 & 5 star kids here. Certainly having guys like Olivier at Tennessee and Jalen Miller at Rutgers and Mike Williams at LSU will help
he’s got some great resources to work with in Frostburg. There is some really good pizza and wing places up there and it’s warm for at least 45 days a year. Plus the mall is fantastic

The number of boarding-type basketball programs has increased massively in recent years and there is only so much talent to go around. BW may have gotten in the game a little too late to have a chance of ever establishing themselves as a top program.

I personally never grasped the concept of 15, 16 and 17 year old kids leaving home to do the teenage dorm thing 500 miles away for high school sports. They have plenty of time to do that at the next level away from family. It's high school and none of these kids have an allegiance to some tiny school 500 miles away. Transferring every year to other small private institutions for what? As if there is a better scholarship opportunity at Montverde than La Lumiere? It makes no sense. I'm seeing high school kids play for 3 different schools in their 4 years.

I am reading things like BW has a 9th grader coming here from Bishop O'Connell who already has offers from places like Kansas State and Georgia Tech. Treating a high school freshman like they landed some huge recruiting score pulling him from Arlington to Cumberland. Wow! I've got 80K in retirement to bet he isn't here as a senior. So what is he doing bouncing around different schools? I don't get it. These are high school kids and adult egos are screwing them up bad. And the ego is the blinder.

As a parent, there is zero chance I am allowing my 15 or 16 year old son or daughter to live elsewhere far away in some dormitory in the name of a high school sport. These private "basketball" schools are not the only path to perceived basketball riches. Such unintelligence. The schools are nothing more than a vacuum cleaner salesman. The breakdown of the parental structure today is what it is and society gets what it deserves. I could possibly see parents who live in foreign countries giving their child a basketball chance in the US at best. Or if a parent wanted to move to another city to raise their child here in the name of basketball, well that's different. But teenage athletic dorms - no way.

Sorry I have to be the Debby Downer here but I thought college transfer portal stuff was getting out of hand. This transfer portal stuff and recruiting process for teenagers is so messed up beyond comprehension. It a'int good for anyone but the glory of the host school possibly thumping their chest by saying they are a national program. The thought process that it's all in the best interest of the kid is absolutely false.

I'm not just talking about BW. It's the same for hundreds of other "football" and "basketball" private academies. Let kids be kids. Bottom line, if you are a parent and you are sending your 16 year old sophomore far away to live in a different high school sports dorm every other year, I have no respect. Once they turn 18 and head to college OK.

Reactions: SS610 and Tony54
Is it safe to say that BW is getting the "what's left" , "already picked over" recruits/players?

Is it safe to say that BW is getting the "what's left" , "already picked over" recruits/players?
That seems to be the case. PG Tyne left Montverde for more playing time at BW when Mikey left to play football. Sutton left Legacy Early for BW when Robinson decided not to come back. Both did wind up closer to home. It is a bit of a merry go round with all the coming and going. I'm not sure that was the intention of the league when it was created. Before the Oak Hill, and Montrose Christians of world you had prep schools for athletes maybe not quite ready for the next level physically, or academically to do a 5th year of eligibility. Man it really has blown up since those days.

Last edited:
Someone else on here may know for sure, because I'm not positive how prep school worked back in the day. I'm not sure if an athlete used that in lieu of a college redshirt year or not. I'm old enough to remember when college freshman were ineligible to play varsity sports. I know that the redshirt rule has been around since the 30s or 40s, but was mostly used for injury years. Some colleges would automatically redshirt incoming freshman as they weren't eligible anyway, and would still have 4 years of varsity eligibility. Like anything else once college freshman became eligible, I'm sure college coaches, and administrators found ways to manipulate the redshirt rule in their favor.

As a parent, there is zero chance I am allowing my 15 or 16 year old son or daughter to live elsewhere far away in some dormitory in the name of a high school sport. These private "basketball" schools are not the only path to perceived basketball riches. Such unintelligence. The schools are nothing more than a vacuum cleaner salesman. The breakdown of the parental structure today is what it is and society gets what it deserves. I could possibly see parents who live in foreign countries giving their child a basketball chance in the US at best. Or if a parent wanted to move to another city to raise their child here in the name of basketball, well that's different. But teenage athletic dorms - no way.

I'm not just talking about BW. It's the same for hundreds of other "football" and "basketball" private academies. Let kids be kids. Bottom line, if you are a parent and you are sending your 16 year old sophomore far away to live in a different high school sports dorm every other year, I have no respect. Once they turn 18 and head to college OK.
I am surprised especially after this incident, I thought the basketball program was done but I guess Winning a few games a year with players with no local ties means something to someone up there.
https://www.wcbcradio.com/archives/archiv/bishop-walsh-student-found-dead

No. There are plenty of players and talent to choose from. But not every player is the right fit for the system a coach wants to run and not every kid wants to/can leave home. High schools recruit middle schoolers now. Its a new grind so to speak. For BW, not every players wants to play in the NIBC or just play basketball. BW wouldn't be a good fit for a two-sport athlete just like you don't see IMG basketball players on the gridiron or vice versa. There is nothing wrong with a player wanting to specialize in a sport and playing it year round at a high level once they get to high school.

I am surprised especially after this incident, I thought the basketball program was done but I guess Winning a few games a year with players with no local ties means something to someone up there.
https://www.wcbcradio.com/archives/archiv/bishop-walsh-student-found-dead
I am just concerned (or disturbed) with what's happening to teenagers in the adult world of high school recruiting to make their school be as good as it can be. When I see 14 and 15 year old students transferring around from school to school like the college students its very alarming.

What is the morality compass now? Just curious what some feel is a cut off line. As Burgundy Hoops pointed out...high schools are recruiting middle school students now. A place like IMG Academy recruiting a 13 year old to come live and play at their school is disgusting. Then again everyone has a different set of values when it comes to exploiting children. SMH.

Last edited:
What is the morality compass now? Just curious what some feel is a cut off line. As Burgundy Hoops pointed out...high schools are recruiting middle school students now. A place like IMG Academy recruiting a 13 year old to come live and play at their school is disgusting. Then again everyone has a different set of values when it comes to exploiting children. SMH.
AAU coaches. Most have no morals. Parents need to protect their own.

don't just take my word for it. see for yourself. This is what its like now. To be clear, I disagree with TD that this is a problem, but I understand his perspective. I spent 7 years coaching youth sports in DC (in two sports). I saw all I needed to in that amount of time.

"As I finish up my 8th grade year, I'm focusing on narrowing my list of high school options for where I'll be next year. It's definitely going to be a tough decision for me as I try to narrow it down to three or four options soon. I'll be sitting down with my family and coaches to see what the best fit is for me, and who I can really trust to put me in position to achieve my long term basketball goals."

https://www.madehoops.com/news_arti...-being-a-mentor-and-final-high-school-options

While I am on the fence about these young kids living so far from home for basketball purposes, I question how we would feel if they were here strictly for academics. The non basketball players are here for a private education. I was blessed to have a private education growing up. The one forgotten story in this who struck John about the BW basketball program is that yes. The Archdiocese was going to close the school without something changing. That part is fact. While I don't know the economics of this situation, I do know without the basketball program, many western Maryland kids would be deprived a private Catholic education.

Last edited:
I deleted my previous post because I realized it was a talking about NEXT month. BW plays LuHi tomorrow at 7pm on ESPN+ as part of the La Lumiere tournament in Indiana. LuHi is currently a top-10 team (see rankings here). They will play Legacy on Saturday at 2pm. That game will also be on ESPN+. Lets see if they can play a full 4 quarters of basketball and come away with at least one win this weekend.

I deleted my previous post because I realized it was a talking about NEXT month. BW plays LuHi tomorrow at 7pm on ESPN+ as part of the La Lumiere tournament in Indiana. LuHi is currently a top-10 team (see rankings here). They will play Legacy on Saturday at 2pm. That game will also be on ESPN+. Lets see if they can play a full 4 quarters of basketball and come away with at least one win this weekend.
I see two major problems. 1) They don't shoot very well. 2) They don't share the ball. LuHi 26 assists on 30 made baskets, BW 7 assists on 18 made baskets. BW can't survive shooting 2-12 in the 1st quarter, and less than 25% for the half, and compete at this level. These numbers improved a little in the 2nd half only after LuHi called the dogs off, and the game was completely out of reach. It seems to be an ongoing problem for this years team.

Last edited:
100% agree. Also, getting back to some earlier posts in this thread, Oak Hill just lost two players to transfer, including AJ Swinton who left for Sierra Canton. Montverde lost Drayvn Gibbs to Word of God AND Bryson Tucker left IMG (according to some sources). Everyone is one the move for one reason or another.

After dropping an NIBC game to IMG in Massachusetts, BW finally got the 40 pts per game average monkey off their back and managed 53 in a close game (but loss to Grayson) and 58 in a winning effort against Real Salt Lake. The WCBC broadcast of that game mentioned up schedule rankings coming out soon where BW will be shown VERY close to the top when it comes to "most difficult schedule in the country.

This weekend Paul VI comes to AC to play BW. While it is going to be a tough game for the Spartans, PVI is, IMO, the best team in the country. It is great watching them play and a nice treat for the local fans to see them potentially twice this season. I would encourage anyone to get out there and check it out the action.

BW picked up a nice win over Goretti last night, 84-78. Goretti is a tough team and the #2 seed in the BCL. They spilt with St Frances this year and lost by 1 to top-25 ranked mount saint joes. Hopefully this is a sign that things are clicking and BW can come into the ACIT in better shape to win some games.

BW picked up a nice win over Goretti last night, 84-78. Goretti is a tough team and the #2 seed in the BCL. They spilt with St Frances this year and lost by 1 to top-25 ranked mount saint joes. Hopefully this is a sign that things are clicking and BW can come into the ACIT in better shape to win some games.
Goretti also beat Mt. St. Joe earlier this year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT