ADVERTISEMENT

Allegany is bigger than Fort Hill

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
I know it has been discussed here already, but just to point out something pretty significant for Cumberland...according to the official MPSSAA enrollments for 2019-2021 Allegany now has more students than Fort Hill.

They show: Allegany 588 students, Fort Hill 566 students - that's for grades 9-11.

The reason I bring this up leads to a question. Has Allegany ever been bigger than FH in student size? Like I mean ever? Since 1936? I don't think so but not real sure about the WWII era and before. But I'm pretty sure since post WWII this has never been the case.

Reactions: redtheperson
I know it has been discussed here already, but just to point out something pretty significant for Cumberland...according to the official MPSSAA enrollments for 2019-2021 Allegany now has more students than Fort Hill.

They show: Allegany 588 students, Fort Hill 566 students - that's for grades 9-11.

The reason I bring this up leads to a question. Has Allegany ever been bigger than FH in student size? Like I mean ever? Since 1936? I don't think so but not real sure about the WWII era and before. But I'm pretty sure since post WWII this has never been the case.

Best I can come up with, in the mid-1960s Allegany was larger.....Fort Hill has been larger since the 1970s until the present...

1963 ALCO-2259 FH-2195
1964 ALCO-2300 FH-2152
1965 ALCO-1617 FH-1490
1967 ALCO-1721 FH-1450
1968 ALCO-1658 FH-1455

That decline in numbers is crazy! Doesn't surprise me that alco has more heads but just how far down hill this town has went is nuts

Best I can come up with, in the mid-1960s Allegany was larger.....Fort Hill has been larger since the 1970s until the present...

1963 ALCO-2259 FH-2195
1964 ALCO-2300 FH-2152
1965 ALCO-1617 FH-1490
1967 ALCO-1721 FH-1450
1968 ALCO-1658 FH-1455

Don't those numbers include 7 - 8th grade. And, when did they do some redistricting?

Don't those numbers include 7 - 8th grade. And, when did they do some redistricting?

1965 is the first year with the Junior Highs.....thus the drop off in HS numbers. I think in the early 1970s, Bel Air and Rawlings areas switched from ALCO to FH.

1965 is the first year with the Junior Highs.....thus the drop off in HS numbers. I think in the early 1970s, Bel Air and Rawlings areas switched from ALCO to FH.

I graduated in 68 and went to Alco since the 7th grade. I remember it as a packed place then. There was a roar down the halls when changing classes and I thought the floors vibrated.

1963 ALCO-2259 FH-2195
1964 ALCO-2300 FH-2152
1965 ALCO-1617 FH-1490
1967 ALCO-1721 FH-1450
1968 ALCO-1658 FH-1455

OK, thanks. I didn't know that.
Too bad MD didn't have a playoff system back in the earlier years. Alco and FH had some really great teams. But as Lag has pointed out, the Turkey Day game, a full 2-4 weeks after the previous game, was all people needed. That is unless you lost the game and the turkey and mashed taters was hard to swallow afterwards. I remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagmeister
Too bad MD didn't have a playoff system back in the earlier years. Alco and FH had some really great teams. But as Lag has pointed out, the Turkey Day game, a full 2-4 weeks after the previous game, was all people needed. That is unless you lost the game and the turkey and mashed taters was hard to swallow afterwards. I remember.
Any word on a fh schedule? Or the quad..

Wow, the decline in numbers is shocking. Understood that dip in the Mid 60's but still... to be over 1,000 students less now is crazy. I am not good on the history of the schools in the county pre-1995. How many high schools existed in the 60's? Did Flintstone, Oldtown, Westmar (Bruce or Valley then I would suppose), Mount Savage exist?

My senior year (1967 football season), we lost to Walsh 19 to nothing, but beat FH 18 - 6.

My senior year (1967 football season), we lost to Walsh 19 to nothing, but beat FH 18 - 6.
I was born in 67. But know all the good football stories from either listening to my dad as a kid or sitting on a Cumberland bar stool as an adult. Last Turkey Day game was 73. I remember 72 and 73 well. Like yesterday.

My old man (Del Helmick) played on the FH 59 and 60 team as a RB. He went 9-1 both his last years. His only losses were to Alco. He still gets bummed over it. Tells the story of those games a 1000 times. Turkey Day was great.

And as I have posted here before, I am probably more proud of my mom. She graduated FH in 1962. Made varsity cheerleader as a freshman. 300 girls tried out and they only kept like 6.

Last edited:
In the late 70s there were just under 20,000 students in grades 1-12.

Now there are 8,600 students in grades pre-k - 12.

The numbers now are close to what they were in 1912. The only difference is in 1912 students only went to 8th grade.

I was born in 67. But know all the good football stories from either listening to my dad as a kid or sitting on a Cumberland bar stool as an adult. Last Turkey Day game was 73. I remember 72 and 73 well. Like yesterday.

My old man (Del Helmick) played on the FH 59 and 60 team as a RB. He went 9-1 both his last years. His only losses were to Alco. He still gets bummed over it. Tells the story of those games a 1000 times. Turkey Day was great.

And as I have posted here before, I am probably more proud of my mom. She graduated FH in 1962. Made varsity cheerleader as a freshman. 300 girls tried out and they only kept like 6.

You should be proud!

For me, to be a kid in Cumberland in the fifties and sixties was heaven.... and we knew it. You could safely go anywhere and every street seemed to have its own adventure. and man... back when Caporale's Bakery actually made good bread.... local longhorn cheese with the old garlic 'baloney' - what a sammich! (trust me... nothing is the same). And then, of course, there was walking out to the airport to sneak into the race each year... great fun.

But I digress. Back to football.... Ugh, one would say it's not fair to compare then to now. But you cannot escape it as long there is an attempt to keep certain traditions alive when they are not even a vague mirror of themselves.

I will go to and enjoy a Fort Hill game because of the fan size and the band. Usually, I am out of there after halftime because of the competition. With Allegany I usually prefer MR or Northern/Southern away games since you never know if the band will show up at home - and even then they disperse after halftime and never play from the stands... or, at least, that is what I recall).

And... it's not just a band thing. It's that the band, the team et al is a community event. To see Allegany come out on the field unsupported defeats my reason for being there. Yet, I know one of the reasons is that the Campers lack such depth that they don't have enough parents to show a sufficient smattering in the stands. Yank the band and... well, sad.

I usually stay up around New Germany State Park. I will drive to Cumberland to see FH, but not Allegany... hard to believe, but true. Dunbar game was the exception.

Homecoming... not likely for me and this is for a host of reasons. The last time I went to a homecoming game, Gilmore was coaching.

Last edited:
I graduated in 68 and went to Alco since the 7th grade. I remember it as a packed place then. There was a roar down the halls when changing classes and I thought the floors vibrated.
My dad was a 66 graduate said it was a full house too. He's only ever mentioned loosing games to altoona and keyser

Have they finalized the enrollment numbers and classification alignments? I thought the last I saw on the website was proposed but I would guess unless a discrepancy was found in someone's submitted enrollment numbers, the final version would be the same.

Have they finalized the enrollment numbers and classification alignments? I thought the last I saw on the website was proposed but I would guess unless a discrepancy was found in someone's submitted enrollment numbers, the final version would be the same.
Yeah, were finalized in April. They have them on the MPSSAA.org site.

It would seem the same tired old excuse about the blue being so much smaller than fh and it's just not fair will not be able to be used going forward.

It would seem the same tired old excuse about the blue being so much smaller than fh and it's just not fair will not be able to be used going forward.
Now if we can just put an end to the same tired old excuse that it's just not fair that Dunbar is in Baltimore and FH isn't

Reactions: cumbfanatic

Let's get it right, mkay. The old issue was the number of championships versus FH having to play in a different classification. But in those days of greater Cumberland population, FH was 3A and Alco was 2A. The variance of funneling 50 or more football athletes to FH would make little difference in the overall population of either school, regardless of size. The problem today is that the schools are so much smaller that Allegany can barely field a team. That is the only difference.

A little birdie told me a prominent senior Alco football player is transferring to FH. But he was told he canot participate in any work out there until he is enrolled at FH and living in South Cumberland per county rules. Interesting development.

Well Alco only has about 3 “prominent” seniors lol

If true, then he was promised a slot in advance. Again, if true, then there will be no denying that FH actually recruits. Some red-jackets around here can then shut the hell up. More disgrace for the Appel Chapel and its 1A ring guarantee. Let's see.

A little birdie told me a prominent senior Alco football player is transferring to FH. But he was told he canot participate in any work out there until he is enrolled at FH and living in South Cumberland per county rules. Interesting development.

This basically confirms everything Lag has been saying for the last month, lol

This basically confirms everything Lag has been saying for the last month, lol

Well, I understand Robinette lived in the south end while playing for Allegany, so maybe these rules only apply to late transfers.... or, this is just a way to stir the forum pot into a meaningless kerfuffle.

Dunbar, Lackey and Douglass PG all back to 2A?

edit: So if I'm reading the special enrollments correctly, Dunbar has 698, which is technically 2A. But will be playing in 1A for football.

It does no such thing and you know it!

Of course it does. No kid crosses town to FH his senior year merely to tryout for a football team. No kid crosses town his senior year unless there was dialogue with Appel. We don't recruit! We don't recruit! Bullshit. This kid fills a weakness (probably) on the FH defensive line..... meaning some young man who has been waiting his turn will ride the bench.

Sure, we all good. We all ethical. Folks just want to play for Appel because he gets them at a young age and they learn the Fort Hill way.

Again... let's see how this plays out. Could be just mixer talk. But if true.... no excuses no 'don't like Hansel' bullshit. Y'all red-jackets can cram it 'cause FH ain't any different than Dunbar or any other school that will do whatever it takes to win. Cram the pride.... Cram the FH way.

Of course it does. No kid crosses town to FH his senior year merely to tryout for a football team. No kid crosses town his senior year unless there was dialogue with Appel. We don't recruit! We don't recruit! Bullshit. This kid fills a weakness (probably) on the FH defensive line..... meaning some young man who has been waiting his turn will ride the bench.

Sure, we all good. We all ethical. Folks just want to play for Appel because he gets them at a young age and they learn the Fort Hill way.

Again... let's see how this plays out. Could be just mixer talk. But if true.... no excuses no 'don't like Hansel' bullshit. Y'all red-jackets can cram it 'cause FH ain't any different than Dunbar or any other school that will do whatever it takes to win. Cram the pride.... Cram the FH way.
It only proves that for someone who hasn't lived in the community for decades and rarely if ever comes up for a game doesn't know his ass. Kids have always switched schools for any number of reasons. Why did Robinette live in South End and go to Alco? If Appel wanted them when they were young he wouldn't wait til they were a senior to go after them.

It only proves that for someone who hasn't lived in the community for decades and rarely, if ever comes up for a game doesn't know his ass. Kids have always switched schools for any number of reasons. Why did Robinette live in South End and go to Alco?

Check it numbnutz: he was there all through JV! He was not a recruited senior. Cram the bullshit.

A player that came through the FH system 'da FH way' will ride the bench so a senior recruit can play.

Ain't the same. But... go ahead... watching y'all twist in the unethical wind is what I claimed it was all along: hypocritical bullshit.

Some of you haters jump to asumptions so fast almost as if you are the one making the deal happen. It's literally like you make stuff up from hundreds of miles away and then convince yourself it's true and then run here to type it in and convinece others it's tru.

This has nothing to do with FH. It has to do with a kid who is over the top disgruntled with Alco coaches. It's my understanding FH has told him he can't be here. If that's recruiting a kid I have some ocean front property on Haystack to sell.

Last edited:
Check it numbnutz: he was there all through JV! He was not a recruited senior. Cram the bullshit.

A player that came through the FH system 'da FH way' will ride the bench so a senior recruit can play.

Ain't the same. But... go ahead... watching y'all twist in the unethical wind is what I claimed it was all along: hypocritical bullshit.
I would say this is probably a load of shit. If true and the young man played in homecoming last year he wouldn't be eligible to play against alco unless they have changed the rule or Hansel oks it

Some of you haters jump to asumptions so fast almost as if you are the one making the deal happen. It's literally like you make stuff up from hundreds of miles away and then convince yourself it's true and then run here to type it in and convinece others it's tru.

This has nothing to do with FH. It has to do with a kid who is over the top disgruntled with Alco coaches. It's my understanding FH has told him he can't be here. If that's recruiting a kid I have some ocean front property on Haystack to sell.

It's my understanding FH has told him he can't be here

Then he really isn't transferring; so, you are just a mixer and all this is a different kind of bullshit.

It has to do with a kid who is over the top disgruntled with Alco coaches.

So, let's see the kid has played Alco JV and a junior year of varsity and suddenly is so upset.... so disenfranchised he must grab at least a fleeting glimpse of the Appel aura. Sure... Sure.

Incidentally, you brought the subject up there duder. So, I am sorry that you are stuck with the ocean front property on Haystack that you cannot unload.

I would say this is probably a load of shit. If true and the young man played in homecoming last year he wouldn't be eligible to play against alco unless they have changed the rule or Hansel oks it
or is he moves or at least uses another address then the Board of Education can't stop him from playing. When You Move there is No way of Stopping it...

Outside chance a senior feels they will get displaced by a more talented junior. That being the case the entire talk about transfer was bullshit from the start because he wouldn't even make Appel's team anyhow: just mixer talk as I suspected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT