ADVERTISEMENT

Class 1A West Regional Playoff Bracket

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
The MPSSAA Class 1A West Regional Playoff Bracket has pretty much been set heading into the last Week 9. (see bracket image below)

Regardless of the Homecoming outcome between Allegany and Fort Hill the Sentinels have locked up the overall #1 seed in all of Class 1A. So they are guaranteed home playoff games all the way until Annapolis should they get that far.

If Keyser beats Mountain Ridge and Allegany beats Fort Hill, there is a chance that Allegany would become the #2 seed in the West region. The point totals would be close. But that would only mean a second round game between Allegany and Mountain Ridge would be played in Cumberland.

Southern Garrett cancelled their season and Hancock will opt out of the playoffs, which means both Fort Hill and Mountain Ridge get a first round bye.

I am projecting that Clear Spring will beat Hancock this coming weekend and that Boonsboro will beat Smithsburg. That means Allegany will draw Smithsburg in the first round. Northern Garrett will draw Clear Spring.

395246423_1719125568607564_4251811517186170315_n.jpg

I saw Boonsboro play North Hagerstown on Friday night. I agree with your assessment, Boonsboro should steamroll Smithsburg.

What sucks about it?
My 2 cents for what they are worth:

1) I do not like that everyone makes the playoffs. While it doesn't make the regular season completely meaningless, it definitely loses a bit of its luster. I remember Week 10 Urbana-Linganore games where the winner made the playoffs and the loser stayed home. It just gave the game even more meaning than it already had. There's something to be said about having to earn a playoff spot.

2) While I understand the issue of travel, a straight seeding of the top 16 teams, in my opinion, would make for a more entertaining playoff. I have zero issue with neutral site games if travel becomes an issue. Lots of states do that and you don't hear much complaining about it.

3) I do not like our points system. Not all losses are created equally. A loss to Fort Hill and a loss to Clear Spring are both worth 0 points. Those are not equal losses. Teams should be rewarded for playing a tougher schedule and I would like to find some way for the state to award points for losses, like 0.5 points for everyone win by a team that you lost to, something to that effect. Is it perfect? No, but its still better than every loss being worth nothing.

4) The 6 classes is completely ridiculous. First of all, the state is too small to justify 6 classes. Second, how in the world do you justify 6 classes for football but then 4 classes for every other sport? For the COVID year, alright, maybe you could justify it. But to continue to do it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Now, is it better than what we had when there was no chance of 2 teams from the same region playing for a State Title? Absolutely! But it could be much better too!

What sucks about it?
MPSSAA ruined the playoffs with the ridiculous everybody makes it nonsense and expansion to 6 classes in a small state like Maryland. 4 classes for all sports except football. So 1A is basically down to 3 teams that can win a state title each year, FH heads and shoulders above then Mountain Ridge and Alco jockeying to see who makes the trip to Annapolis to play FH. We will once again be treated to a playoff of mercy rule games that are over by halftime outside of the 3 Allegany County schools playing each other. It stinks for the fans. We all loved the FH Wadsworth game. There was a time that those kinds of nail-biting games were routine in the semi-finals and finals of the state tournament. We may never see that again in 1A. I hope someday they wise up and combine 1A and 1A/2A classifications for the football tournament.

What sucks about it?
For me it’s the six classes part. There aren’t enough schools in the state to do six classes. Schools like Hancock and Southern shouldn’t be forced with the proposition of forfeiting a playoff game or going to Greenway and getting beat 70-0. No one wins in the latter. No one on Hancock or Southern’s roster is going to learn any life lessons or anything from getting sh*tstomped in a playoff game. Every class is watered down as a result. But it’s all about the moolah for the MP$$AA.

MPSSAA ruined the playoffs with the ridiculous everybody makes it nonsense and expansion to 6 classes in a small state like Maryland. 4 classes for all sports except football. So 1A is basically down to 3 teams that can win a state title each year, FH heads and shoulders above then Mountain Ridge and Alco jockeying to see who makes the trip to Annapolis to play FH. We will once again be treated to a playoff of mercy rule games that are over by halftime outside of the 3 Allegany County schools playing each other. It stinks for the fans. We all loved the FH Wadsworth game. There was a time that those kinds of nail-biting games were routine in the semi-finals and finals of the state tournament. We may never see that again in 1A. I hope someday they wise up and combine 1A and 1A/2A classifications for the football tournament.
85% of games were over by halftime prior to the new classifications. The blowouts aren’t something new all of a sudden. I hate the new classifications just as much as everyone else but haven’t they done what they were supposed to do? They’ve gave new teams a chance to make deep runs. Mountain ridge wouldn’t have a state title appearances without the new system, allegany wouldn’t have title game expectations without the new system.

Reactions: Dwj21
I agree the 6 classes need reverted back to 4. During 2021 for covid reasons I get, but now no.

If they don't change it back then it doesn't matter that everyone makes the playoffs bc those 1st round games are going to be byes and no upsets in almost every case. So, then that sets up the top 4 from every region which is what it would be anyway with not everyone making the playoffs. I like the region style then reseeding at 8 teams bc it does give a chance for teams from the same region to make state.

If they change it back to 4 classes and then change the playoffs to top 4 in region then each team needs to find another regular season game or we would need to keep it top 8 in each region which I'm OK with bc some of those games would be competitive with bigger classes.

I truly think the crux of the playoffs now is the 6 classes vs 4 classes. 4 IMO is the way to go with top 8 making playoffs.

As far as points, just win baby. Teams should still covet homefield advantage. Schedule tougher opponents and win the games, get the points. I think the point system is moot.

I do agree that 1A is mostly a 3 team class and that sucks especially for FH bc people will claim they only win bc it's watered down. But FH won before when it was 4 classes. In fact, they've only had 2 chips in the 6 class Era. And FH teams like this year would win the majority of titles in MD.

Bottom line, go back to 4 classes and then go from there. It would be competitive with 8 teams per region making playoffs.

Reactions: ravemwp
85% of games were over by halftime prior to the new classifications. The blowouts aren’t something new all of a sudden. I hate the new classifications just as much as everyone else but haven’t they done what they were supposed to do? They’ve gave new teams a chance to make deep runs. Mountain ridge wouldn’t have a state title appearances without the new system, allegany wouldn’t have title game expectations without the new system.
I agree that the part of this format that allows teams from the same region to play for a State Championship is definitely better than the old system.

6 classes for a state like Maryland is absolutely ridiculous. I agree that there should be some type of reward for playing a tougher schedule. The question is... how does that get accomplished?

Right now, the top two seeds in 1A West are getting a first-round byes in the playoffs due to teams not wanted to compete, and it isn't just in the 1A West. This is all around the state. Why come up with a system that allows all teams into the playoffs when they don't want to play those games?

Who is to say that these teams that are getting a first-round bye aren't getting hurt by having the bye?

On a positive note. It looks like if Fort Hill and Mountain Ridge win out, they will meet in the finals again. Fort hill is number one ranked and Ridge is number two.

Has anyone thought of a promotion/relegation system for classes, that isn't strictly enrollment based, maybe create some sort of point system for regular seasons & playoff success, etc.? Maybe give a team X number of points for total victories, X number of points for how far in the playoffs they've gone & factor in the number of 35 point rule wins & losses as well? Maybe base it the prior 5 seasons or something. I'm not saying copy what WV does but enrollment isn't always the best way to classify schools. You could start by basing it on enrollment then factor in the last 5 seasons and adjust accordingly.

I have expressed my views on this a bunch of times on here so I won't re-hash everything, a lot of you have already said it. One point I will maybe differ in opinion on is I do think 4 is maybe too few, maybe we could compromise at 5 classes? I will agree the 6 classes is not really working out and probably too many; but then again I think a lot of the problem is the everyone makes the playoffs format.

On a positive note. It looks like if Fort Hill and Mountain Ridge win out, they will meet in the finals again. Fort hill is number one ranked and Ridge is number two.
Neither one better overlook Allegany, especially MR.

Reactions: Tony54
What sucks about it?
Everyone making the playoffs, the regular season is rather meaningless, it's really sad that WV sports has always been run much better.
I also hate the 6 classes but to make it worse it's that they named them 1A/2A smh
watching blowouts will happen no matter what the system is the problem with this current setup is you get to see the same blowouts over the same teams year after year and we already know how it's going to turnout...
FH get a BYE and blows out Northern and awaits The winner of Allegany vs Mountain Ridge in Annapolis

Last edited:
Everyone making the playoffs, the regular season is rather meaningless, it's really sad that WV sports has always been run much better.
I also hate the 6 classes but to make it worse it's that they named them 1A/2A smh
watching blowouts will happen no matter what the system is the problem with this current setup is you get to see the same blowouts over the same teams year after year and we already know how it's going to turnout...
FH get a BYE and blows out Northern and awaits The winner of Allegany vs Mountain Ridge in Annapolis
Regardless if everyone made the playoffs or not the same scenario would play out in 1A. If they went back to 4 classes then FH would still be in Naptown most every year and Ridge and Allegany could still have a decent shot at making it too. Going 1-16 wouldn't change much either. Here's a clue, 1A/2A isn't much better than 1A . Yea you have a couple more teams that are competitive but FH would still beat them most years and if Ridge stays on their path they will too.

The points are updated on MPSSAA.

FH has the 3rd highest points average in the state behind Oakdale at #2 and QO is #1. The telling part here is FH has the most bonus points with 40. QO has 38 and Oakdale has 37.70. Clearly this means if FH was in a higher class they'd be number #1 in the state in average points and it also means they played the toughest schedule this year in all of Maryland public schools.

If a 1A beats a 3A and a 4A beats a 3A do they get the same points or does the 1A get more points?

Seeding 1-16 for the playoffs does not solve lopsided scores. If this were the system used today, Fort Hill would be hosting SEED School and Mountain Ridge would be hosting Lake Clifton in the first round. It's bad all the way around once the MPSSAA moved to six classes. There are certainly pros and cons to different systems. Four classes means teams like Hancock or Green Street Academy would not have to opt out and we could go back to a 10 game regular season schedule.

I felt the system put in place for 2019 was perfect where we had four classes and the Top 8 in each region made the playoffs. Then COVID hit in 2020 and wiped it out. I get moving to "everyone makes the playoffs" in 2021 when COVID was still cancelling games. You could not run a fair point system by penalizing teams that had games cancelled. But the MPSSAA should have moved back to four classifications once COVID was no longer a factor.

Yes, this current system is extremely watered down. On the same token, even the older systems would not stop Fort Hill and Dunbar from dominating the championships at the lower levels. No enrollment based system fixes that.

CLASS 1A POINT TOTALS 1-16 as of Week 8
1. Fort Hill
2. Mountain Ridge
3. Patterson Mill
4. Brunswick
5. Allegany
6. Boonsboro
7. Loch Raven
8. Cambridge-South Dorchester
9. Perryville
10. Bohemia Manor
11. Northern Garrett
12. Colonel Richardson
13. Snow Hill
14. Reginal Lewis
15. Lake Clifton
16. SEED School

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony54 and Dwj21
The playoffs do lead to some unentertaining games sometimes, which is amplified (especially in 1A) by the significant disparity between the top few teams and the rest of the field.

But in the end, as DWJ and others have pointed out, the 4 best teams in each class are usually still in the final 4. Now there might be a huge disparity between #1 and #4, but the championship game ends up with the two best teams in the classification. There could be an argument that FH, Alco, and MR as the three best teams in 1A should all at least be in the final fou But ultimately one of them will lose to another...whether it's in the final four or the regional final is kind of irrelevant.

I agree the 6 classes is too much, but each classification champion is still the best in their classification. It might be a boring trip to get there, but it is still an adequate representation of the best team in each class being the champions, imo. And that's what the state championship is designed to do, bring the best to the podium. Might not be everyone's favorite process, but it does work.

Reactions: ravemwp and Dwj21
I cannot stress enough, no matter what system is used FH and Dunbar are going to dominate their class with lopsided scores unless enrollments are taken out of the equation and these teams get bumped to Class 3A.

Last edited:
I cannot stress enough, no matter what system is used FH and Dunbar are going to dominate their class with lopsided scores unless enrollments are taken out of the equation and these teams get bumped to Class 3A.

That sounds good in theory, but me thinks those in Montgomery and Frederick counties as well as a couple of others would raise enough of a stink that it would never come to fruition.

Allegany County 1A football rules! I haven't seen anything like it since Knibb High had that run when the O'Doyle family was prominent

I believe Patterson Mill runs a wing T base offense. If FH and Patterson Mill make it to the ship, there would be two wing t offenses in the final.

You don't see that often, if ever, in recent history. Not to my feeble memory anyway. Although I'd rather see Alco and FH doing it, though improbable based on the playoff seedings.

True. The dream scenario for me would be that Alco beats ridge and then is able to avoid Fort Hill untill The final.

True. The dream scenario for me would be that Alco beats ridge and then is able to avoid Fort Hill untill The final.
A few playoff upsets and it's possible! Linganore is in the same position in regard to Oakdale and an all FredCo final. Right now it's looking like a possible state semi matchup but a few upsets either tomorrow night, or in the 1st 2 rounds and it may work out.

I obviously know zilch about Patterson Mill but Boonsboro was better than I expected. They were very physical with North and just ran the ball down their throats. I will say, the rain did help defensively as it pretty much took North's passing game out of the equation. They aren't a threat to Allegany County but I could see them giving Patterson Mill a game in the 2nd round if it would come to fruition. Right now they are tied with Loch Raven for the 3/4 seeds. Boonsboro should easily beat Smithsburg while Loch Raven has a tough game with 6-2 Randallstown so it may end up being a Boonsboro/Brunswick 2nd rounder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT