ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill vs. Dunbar

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
A two year varsity football deal in 2024 and 2025 for Week 2. Yes! That is the Dunbar Poets of Baltimore.

The first year is at Dunbar for September 13, 2024 weekend. The game will be played and showcased at Morgan State University.

The second year will be the same weekend at Greenway Avenue Stadium.

This match up only makes sense. We are talking about both teams being Consecutive Three Time Defending State Champions. It's so very, very rare that any Maryland team has won three straight state titles. The fact we are able to put both on the same field at the peak of this feat is really a wonderful/exciting opportunity for players, coaches and fans.

Dunbar has not lost a game in three years.
Fort Hill has lost one game in three years.

Hopefully, the FH administration does not get upset with me spilling these beans publicly. It is always my intention to make sure the contract has been wrapped up. But in today's connected world, Dunbar apparently has broken the news and it is circulating already on several social media platforms. So I always feel it's best that people get the correct story from the source, which is why I have always posted under my real name. More important, the players should get to know first, and they have been told. Whooop, there it is!

The Dunbar coaches and AD seem to be as giddy as myself about this game. The Poets have made it clear they wish to showcase this game for their kids, the programs, the city of Baltimore/Cumberland and to get college coaches aware. Their coach sent me these images in a text side-by-side. Felt it to be a good share. Very cool. Let's Roll!

417782341_1760163214503799_5518779052869820895_n.jpg

417834719_1760163557837098_8918519560461005396_n.jpg

Last edited:
Today's connected world moves too fast sometimes. At least the players were told in person before having to find out on social media.

Reactions: 52 to victory
I’m thrilled that the game is going to happen. Fort Hill has been shaky for the last few years at the beginning of the season.
The coaches have really done a heckuva job getting them better each and every week

I’m thrilled that the game is going to happen. Fort Hill has been shaky for the last few years at the beginning of the season.
The coaches have really done a heckuva job getting them better each and every week
If I had my choice, I would rather play Dunbar early in the season than late. The Poets usually don't hit their stride until later.

Please let the WCBC guys make the trip for this game
Wonder if Commercial Video would be interested in going to Morgan State to do a live feed. If I weren't going to that game I would gladly pay the $6+ cost of admission to stream it. As would most of Maryland.

Not sure who determines those media broadcast permissions. Would not think the Allegany County BOE has a say. That would be a Dunbar decision. I would volunteer to help if Greg said go ;)

On quick glance, looks like they return all but two on defense and at least five on offense. At least five starters were sophomores.

I'll be going to this game. Not only should it be a great game, but the Dunbar people know football and are great to talk to. I remember the first time that I talked to some Dunbar fans was when FH and the Poets squared off in Hagerstown. We sat at a McDonalds and almost missed the kickoff. That was when they had Tommy Paulley and crew. (Yes, they had a crew that year.) LOL

Wonder if Commercial Video would be interested in going to Morgan State to do a live feed. If I weren't going to that game I would gladly pay the $6+ cost of admission to stream it. As would most of Maryland.

Not sure who determines those media broadcast permissions. Would not think the Allegany County BOE has a say. That would be a Dunbar decision. I would volunteer to help if Greg said go ;)
Interesting. Not out of the realm of possibility, especially if ALCO isn’t playing at home on that date. Something to look in to.

Interesting. Not out of the realm of possibility, especially if ALCO isn’t playing at home on that date. Something to look in to.
Not sure of Alco schedule at this time. Most contracts nowadays list the game as either Friday or Saturday because you never know about field/referee availability.

curious what they have coming back?
You can watch the Dunbar state championship game on NFHS. They had a very young team last year. I watched the state Semi final, and final game and was not very impressed. I think Mountain Ridge and Dunbar would’ve been a great game last year.. who knows how good Fort Hills line will be this year. It should be a very good game.

Lawrence Smith was a longtime coach at Dunbar. Does anyone know anything about the new coach?

A two year varsity football deal in 2024 and 2025 for Week 2. Yes! That is the Dunbar Poets of Baltimore.

The first year is at Dunbar for September 13, 2024 weekend. The game will be played and showcased at Morgan State University.

The second year will be the same weekend at Greenway Avenue Stadium.

This match up only makes sense. We are talking about both teams being Consecutive Three Time Defending State Champions. It's so very, very rare that any Maryland team has won three straight state titles. The fact we are able to put both on the same field at the peak of this feat is really a wonderful/exciting opportunity for players, coaches and fans.

Dunbar has not lost a game in three years.
Fort Hill has lost one game in three years.

Hopefully, the FH administration does not get upset with me spilling these beans publicly. It is always my intention to make sure the contract has been wrapped up. But in today's connected world, Dunbar apparently has broken the news and it is circulating already on several social media platforms. So I always feel it's best that people get the correct story from the source, which is why I have always posted under my real name. More important, the players should get to know first, and they have been told. Whooop, there it is!

The Dunbar coaches and AD seem to be as giddy as myself about this game. The Poets have made it clear they wish to showcase this game for their kids, the programs, the city of Baltimore/Cumberland and to get college coaches aware. Their coach sent me these images in a text side-by-side. Felt it to be a good share. Very cool. Let's Roll!

417782341_1760163214503799_5518779052869820895_n.jpg

417834719_1760163557837098_8918519560461005396_n.jpg
Fantastic!

This ought to be a good game. The Poets have been the Sentinel’s Kryptonite over nearly the past two decades, so what better way to gauge your team’s progress but against a program like Dunbar?

Checking the MPSSAA Open Dates page, Fort Hill is not listed as looking for the week 7 or any games. Is the schedule complete now?
No, still a work in progress for Week 7. Confident the players will have a full schedule.

FRESHMAN FOOTBALL
Good news is FH will have a 9th grade freshman team with a full schedule. As will the JV team have a full schedule. Solid sign up numbers from the current 8th and 9th graders to make a roster where two teams is possible. The county said OK under the strict conditions that the freshman team can only be 9th graders. It means the freshman will end up playing a few JV teams. No one cares...just want players to see the field, a much better developmental situation.

On the flip side, for some reason the current junior class (who will be seniors next fall) are very short on numbers. There were only 9 juniors on the roster last year and 17 sophomores. Which makes the 2024 roster total 26 players. Smallest roster I can remember. Of course, that means freshman and sophomores will obviously have to be brought up to varsity again.

I believe COVID played a big role in participation. The Class of 2025 sports participation numbers never recovered from what COVID did to youth sports four years prior. That is why getting 55 students to sign up to play Freshman/JV ball next year is a good sign. I doubt that's how many put on a helmet come August but still good.

No, still a work in progress for Week 7. Confident the players will have a full schedule.

FRESHMAN FOOTBALL
Good news is FH will have a 9th grade freshman team with a full schedule. As will the JV team have a full schedule. Solid sign up numbers from the current 8th and 9th graders to make a roster where two teams is possible. The county said OK under the strict conditions that the freshman team can only be 9th graders. It means the freshman will end up playing a few JV teams. No one cares...just want players to see the field, a much better developmental situation.

On the flip side, for some reason the current junior class (who will be seniors next fall) are very short on numbers. There were only 9 juniors on the roster last year and 17 sophomores. Which makes the 2024 roster total 26 players. Smallest roster I can remember. Of course, that means freshman and sophomores will obviously have to be brought up to varsity again.

I believe COVID played a big role in participation. The Class of 2025 sports participation numbers never recovered from what COVID did to youth sports four years prior. That is why getting 55 students to sign up to play Freshman/JV ball next year is a good sign. I doubt that's how many put on a helmet come August but still good.
I remember pointing out last fall that FH's junior class was very small and wondered if anybody had any clue as to what was going on. Whoever replied said that Allegany had the exact same amount of juniors and they had more students so it there was nothing strange about it and I think that was the only reply.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT