ADVERTISEMENT

Homecoming Predictions

Well I realize we will never agree. I just want to point out again that Alleghany has just as many males in high school as Fort hill does. It all comes down to coaching, culture and tradition to me

I'm with you Tony, because we both agree that Alco is where it's at ultimately because of lack of dynamic coaching, pipeline and overall program engagement/player development. Lags disagrees with us because he thinks it's due to all of the talented kids in the area choosing to go to FH and not because of the coaches, which btw Lags, I don't think you're crazy for having a different position on the subject, so I don't want you thinking I'm taking a shot at you here.

I do ultimately think Alco football can be rebuilt, but it's not a 1 or 2 year thing. I think that with the right head coach and staff and the right guys back home at the pee wee and youth league levels getting the young kids involved and coached up, that could at least lead to Alco being a lot more competitive a few years down the road. It's pretty much guaranteed we'll never see a run like FH has been on recently, or even a run like we had in the 80's - early 2000's where we won a handful of titles. But beating FH 2 or 3 times out of every 10 years would at least be a start and keep things interesting.

The other issue we're working against is time. If Cumberland continues to decrease, and there's a lot of economic indicators that tell us it will, then consolidation is almost inevitable.

Reactions: Tony54
They not only won the JV game they destroyed them. The game wasn't even close
Yes but FH JV won the first match up by 2 touchdowns that same year.

All this just jives with what has been posted here before. The JV and even the freshmen records when Alco had 9th grade ball are eerily almost even head to head. But when they get to varsity FH dominates. Any alien from outside this area with no poker in the local fire would easily and quickly deduce that there is a massive coaching difference on the varsity level. There is and has been.

I'm with you Tony, because we both agree that Alco is where it's at ultimately because of lack of dynamic coaching, pipeline and overall program engagement/player development. Lags disagrees with us because he thinks it's due to all of the talented kids in the area choosing to go to FH and not because of the coaches, which btw Lags, I don't think you're crazy for having a different position on the subject, so I don't want you thinking I'm taking a shot at you here.

I do ultimately think Alco football can be rebuilt, but it's not a 1 or 2 year thing. I think that with the right head coach and staff and the right guys back home at the pee wee and youth league levels getting the young kids involved and coached up, that could at least lead to Alco being a lot more competitive a few years down the road. It's pretty much guaranteed we'll never see a run like FH has been on recently, or even a run like we had in the 80's - early 2000's where we won a handful of titles. But beating FH 2 or 3 times out of every 10 years would at least be a start and keep things interesting.

The other issue we're working against is time. If Cumberland continues to decrease, and there's a lot of economic indicators that tell us it will, then consolidation is almost inevitable.

I chose not to blow off the fact that when Allegany has the talent they compete. The talent may be thin, but when it was there they beat the best 1A team in the state during the regular season and only lost to FH when their thin bench was battered at the end of the season. Piss poor coaching and a piss poor program would not allow that.

I realize it is conjecture on my part why those talented sophomores aren't on the team this year. But it is not without logic for them to see what is going on across town and say why bother. A different coach will change jack-shit.... as they say.

Finally, your opinion is fine. I don't feel anyone is taking a shot. I also don't expect to convince anyone that FH is blessed and that demographics and parents moving over time has anything to do with FH's success.

I chose not to blow off the fact that when Allegany has the talent they compete. The talent may be thin, but when it was there they beat the best 1A team in the state during the regular season and only lost to FH when their thin bench was battered at the end of the season. Piss poor coaching and a piss poor program would not allow that.

I realize it is conjecture on my part why those talented sophomores aren't on the team this year. But it is not without logic for them to see what is going on across town and say why bother. A different coach will change jack-shit.... as they say.

Finally, your opinion is fine. I don't feel anyone is taking a shot. I also don't expect to convince anyone that FH is blessed and that demographics and parents moving over time has anything to do with FH's success.
The team you keep going back to was Hansel's first year as head coach it was the team he was handed. He was a passenger on that team. If you don't think something needs done as far as coaching at alco then you are in denial. His record speaks for itself.

The team you keep going back to was Hansel's first year as head coach it was the team he was handed. He was a passenger on that team. If you don't think something needs done as far as coaching at alco then you are in denial. His record speaks for itself.

He was a passenger on that team.

I find this comment contemptible. You all shit-stormed the previous coach and dog-talked its feeder programs and suddenly that previous coach was responsible for scheduling Dunbar... preparing the team and then getting it done first game of the season. In your mind the previous coach sucked but was suddenly great just so.... once again... you can toss shade on the current coach at Allegany.

You pretend nobody graduated and that Hansel was handed a team. You pretend that Hansel didn't schedule Dunbar. You pretend he didn't beautifully pull everything together right out of the box while year after year you red-jackets whine about how it takes a few games for Appel to get his team up to speed. And yes, we all know Dunbar would have preferred to play FH, but Appel was obviously scared shitless to do so.

Homecoming predictions was a bullshit thread under the circumstances. Done for the juvenile thrill of posting lopsided numbers.... like some folks just never grow up.

He was a passenger on that team.

I find this comment contemptible. You all shit-stormed the previous coach and dog-talked its feeder programs and suddenly that previous coach was responsible for scheduling Dunbar... preparing the team and then getting it done first game of the season. In your mind the previous coach sucked but was suddenly great just so.... once again... you can toss shade on the current coach at Allegany.

You pretend nobody graduated and that Hansel was handed a team. You pretend that Hansel didn't schedule Dunbar. You pretend he didn't beautifully pull everything together right out of the box while year after year you red-jackets whine about how it takes a few games for Appel to get his team up to speed. And yes, we all know Dunbar would have preferred to play FH, but Appel was obviously scared shitless to do so.

Homecoming predictions was a bullshit thread under the circumstances. Done for the juvenile thrill of posting lopsided numbers.... like some folks just never grow up.

I personally have never said shit about preskorn. But Hansel was handed a good football team. Two year's later you have kids quitting not coming out no intrest. Like i said if don't believe something needs done about the coaching at alco your in denial.

An interesting thread for sure. Homecoming is not what it once was, of course as we all know, neither is Cumberland. Less jobs=less middle class people=smaller enrollement=less athletes=Less available football players.

I've read and thought about all of the above posts regarding this topic. I find some truth in almost every reply posted but the reality is their is no single factor that has lead to the tip in the power balance between Fort Hill and Allegany.

Is coaching a factor, yes but I'm not sure it is as much a factor as many believe it is on this board. By saying this I mean no disrespect to Todd Appel who is an excellent coach who works tirelessly to maintain a championship level program.

Is school culture and tradition a factor, yes for sure. Fort Hill is a football school, that is what they have been and are still famous for. Having that tradition and community support puts players on the field who might otherwise play another sport or not do anything.

That culture and tradition also pulls players in from other districts who want to be part of a winning tradition (but often is is the parents who want that for their children more so than the children themselves). Fort Hill has become the destination for the local football player who wants to win and potentially be noticed by college coaches.

I respect the work of Coach Hansel and his staff and they have had a tough year for sure. When you lack depth from the beginning an injury here or there is tough but what they have endured is one of the worst hands a staff and team can be dealt. I admire them for toughing it out and not throwing in the towel for the year.

Wrapping it all up it's going to be a long, uphill battle for the Alco football program to rebuild their once great tradition. I hope they can pull it off but with the dynamics of today's athletic world in a small struggling town it will be a challenge.

We keep talking about the injuries and low numbers, which I don't disagree with to a point. But lets not gloss over that players are also quitting the team. Is it up to 5 now? There were just a few more the week before last.

When multiple players are quitting because they feel a deep disrespect from the HC or members of the coaching staff, that's way deeper than x's and o's. I do think there is a hiccup in the system with the coaching, but I think it has less to do with "knowing the game" than it does with how to lead. So I dont think there is necessarily a head coach problem, I think there is a leadership problem. And that CAN be fixed, even by the current head coach.

An interesting thread for sure. Homecoming is not what it once was, of course as we all know, neither is Cumberland. Less jobs=less middle class people=smaller enrollement=less athletes=Less available football players.

I've read and thought about all of the above posts regarding this topic. I find some truth in almost every reply posted but the reality is their is no single factor that has lead to the tip in the power balance between Fort Hill and Allegany.

Is coaching a factor, yes but I'm not sure it is as much a factor as many believe it is on this board. By saying this I mean no disrespect to Todd Appel who is an excellent coach who works tirelessly to maintain a championship level program.

Is school culture and tradition a factor, yes for sure. Fort Hill is a football school, that is what they have been and are still famous for. Having that tradition and community support puts players on the field who might otherwise play another sport or not do anything.

That culture and tradition also pulls players in from other districts who want to be part of a winning tradition (but often is is the parents who want that for their children more so than the children themselves). Fort Hill has become the destination for the local football player who wants to win and potentially be noticed by college coaches.

I respect the work of Coach Hansel and his staff and they have had a tough year for sure. When you lack depth from the beginning an injury here or there is tough but what they have endured is one of the worst hands a staff and team can be dealt. I admire them for toughing it out and not throwing in the towel for the year.

Wrapping it all up it's going to be a long, uphill battle for the Alco football program to rebuild their once great tradition. I hope they can pull it off but with the dynamics of today's athletic world in a small struggling town it will be a challenge.

Superb post. 5 Stars.

I have nothing but praise for the young men sticking it out this year at Alco. I have nothing but praise for Hansel and his staff. I have nothing but praise for the young men at FH who would, no doubt, like an exciting, competitive homecoming.

Reality can be an ugly dragon. Win or lose, ugly is ugly. Folks can puff-up, beer-up and grill before the game: it changes nothing. There will be no actual rivalry or pageantry.

Rebuilding Alco football with what exists is like rebuilding downtown Cumberland business from what exists.

A view from the stands will not look like the 'Sharks' and the 'Jets' are ready to rumble. It will look like, "Why the hell are we here?"

We keep talking about the injuries and low numbers, which I don't disagree with to a point. But lets not gloss over that players are also quitting the team. Is it up to 5 now? There were just a few more the week before last.

When multiple players are quitting because they feel a deep disrespect from the HC or members of the coaching staff, that's way deeper than x's and o's. I do think there is a hiccup in the system with the coaching, but I think it has less to do with "knowing the game" than it does with how to lead. So I dont think there is necessarily a head coach problem, I think there is a leadership problem. And that CAN be fixed, even by the current head coach.

they feel a deep disrespect

Wow, where and how many times have we heard that before.... like all the time.... "You dissin' me" and such.

And.... the actual posted reason for quitting was they weren't getting enough water... ugh, just like Robinette, Bratton et al were not getting water in what was a hot early September practice before beating Dunbar. So.... Hansel, we are led to believe, decided to suddenly treat this team differently.

Sounds like something a kid would come up with that was just tired of losing. Sounds like something kids would come up with to cover for the fact that they were facing another blow-out, shut-out from the team across town.

Oh, it's never the kids fault. It's always the coach. Here is news: kids quit... they always have. But now, when there is virtually nobody to fill the slot it hurts the team. And, what about the other players? Was Welsh getting water? Obviously, there must have been some partiality there. Are what is now a JV team that is playing their hearts out getting water? Must not.

It's such bullshit.

they feel a deep disrespect

Wow, where and how many times have we heard that before.... like all the time.... "You dissin' me" and such.

And.... the actual posted reason for quitting was they weren't getting enough water... ugh, just like Robinette, Bratton et al were not getting water in what was a hot early September practice before beating Dunbar. So.... Hansel, we are led to believe, decided to suddenly treat this team differently.

Sounds like something a kid would come up with that was just tired of losing. Sounds like something kids would come up with to cover for the fact that they were facing another blow-out, shut-out from the team across town.

Oh, it's never the kids fault. It's always the coach. Here is news: kids quit... they always have. But now, when there is virtually nobody to fill the slot it hurts the team. And, what about the other players? Was Welsh getting water? Obviously, there must have been some partiality there. Are what is now a JV team that is playing their hearts out getting water? Must not.

It's such bullshit.

It was much deeper than "not getting water". It had to do with coaches actually using ridiculous language when talking to certain kids. PLayers requesting to talk to coaches who promised meetings and didn't show up. Way more than water breaks.

And yeah, a player or two might quit in a season. But 5 or more? Some of whom are starters? Nah, that's not how Alco football used to roll.

It was much deeper than "not getting water". It had to do with coaches actually using ridiculous language when talking to certain kids. PLayers requesting to talk to coaches who promised meetings and didn't show up. Way more than water breaks.

And yeah, a player or two might quit in a season. But 5 or more? Some of whom are starters? Nah, that's not how Alco football used to roll.

Exactly.. not even close to how it used to be. I mentioned it a month or so back, our team always laughed openly at how we only got one water break during practice. Literally, right at the coaches faces, like "Holy shit, you're giving us a water break?". And all three varsity seasons, we always had at least eight guys play both ways. So I find it pretty hard to believe that kids quit the team this year because they were thirsty.

I think FHHSAHS makes a great point. Compare Alco varsity assistants to FH varsity assistants man for man or in the aggregate. It's not even close.

Reactions: PowerRamRight

So... now the story changes. Hansel verbally was not polite to certain players? Wow! Not Alco football... Wow! I guess if Hansel had held a media interview, discussed their grades and publicly was not polite talking about certain kids, then everything would have been alright. Damn! Hansel should have done it the FH way! Hansel's mistake was not doing everything in front of the media and not allowing certain members of the team to unionize.

That's it. The players didn't get their 15 minutes of fame by having the coach alert the media. Others might say.... Others that is.... that this is a concocted story to quit. For myself, all I know is what I read in this forum and a lot of it doesn't pass the smell test.

Last edited:
So... now the story changes. Hansel verbally was not polite to certain players? Wow! Not Alco football... Wow! I guess if Hansel had held a media interview, discussed their grades and publicly was not polite talking about certain kids, then everything would have been alright. Damn! Hansel should have done it the FH way! Hansel's mistake was not doing everything in front of the media and not allowing certain members of the team to unionize.

That's it. The players didn't get their 15 minutes of fame by having the coach alert the media. Others might say.... Others that is.... that this is a concocted story to quit. For myself, all I know is what I read in this forum and a lot of it doesn't pass the smell test.
Alcos coaching dosen't pass the smell test either

There is no expectation of privacy in an automobile. That is why they have tinted glass laws. Police have the absolute right to peer into the windows of your car anytime they want. In fact, steamed windows from a non-idling parked car is reasonable suspicion that something might be amiss. Furthermore, it is not uncommon for an officer to stop and investigate a car simply pulled off on the side of the road. It has happened to me.

Also, I believe you are confusing stand your ground with castle doctrine. In fact, it has not been that long ago in Maryland that you had a duty to retreat in your own house.

But please understand, I am always open to discuss something that is of interest to me.
The facts says otherwise, but why listen to them when they dont agree with you, right. And tint laws are about driver visibility. To claim they are for anything else is one of the most disingenuous stances you've taken. And no, foggy windows are not probable cause for investigation.

And castle doctrine has to do with your house, property or car. Places you expect safety and privacy. Stand your ground happens anywhere in public. It was actually explained in the link I left, but I have to admit... I'm in no way surprised that you didnt read it.

Reactions: FHHSAHS

The real story never changed to those who knew it, but what people felt compelled to post on here may have changed, and you bought into whatever you felt the need to believe . Some people know more about the story than others. You're in that second group of "others".

And I never said Hansel was verbally abusive to players, I said "coaches". If you think THAT many players simply quit because of a water break, you're lost in the sauce.

Regardless of the whole story, the bottom line is the Allegany program is a hot mess right now. And the person in charge is Coach Hansel. It's either his ship to lead to port; or steer right into the iceberg and sink along with it. That's really not debatable.

Exactly.. not even close to how it used to be. I mentioned it a month or so back, our team always laughed openly at how we only got one water break during practice. Literally, right at the coaches faces, like "Holy shit, you're giving us a water break?". And all three varsity seasons, we always had at least eight guys play both ways. So I find it pretty hard to believe that kids quit the team this year because they were thirsty.

I think FHHSAHS makes a great point. Compare Alco varsity assistants to FH varsity assistants man for man or in the aggregate. It's not even close.

Got to be honest, I find it even harder to believe that you got only one water break... even harder than that to believe that players said that coaches faces. You're saying these coaches were hard enough to only give you one break, but then allowed you to be a smartass to their face? Not buying it.

The real story never changed to those who knew it, but what people felt compelled to post on here may have changed, and you bought into whatever you felt the need to believe . Some people know more about the story than others. You're in that second group of "others".

And I never said Hansel was verbally abusive to players, I said "coaches". If you think THAT many players simply quit because of a water break, you're lost in the sauce.

Regardless of the whole story, the bottom line is the Allegany program is a hot mess right now. And the person in charge is Coach Hansel. It's either his ship to lead to port; or steer right into the iceberg and sink along with it. That's really not debatable.

you're lost in the sauce

If you would have demanded that Appel at least apologize for his public criticism of a student's grades, then you might have a modicum of credibility on the subject. Speaking of bought into whatever, you really don't give a shit what Appel does, do you? In fact, most of the town probably doesn't. Hell, if he publicly criticized their kid they would tell their kid to shut up, ride the bench and collect the ring. What else does Cumberland really have for its youth anyhow?

I haven't been in this forum as long you... but a pretty long time. This bashing of the Allegany program has reached a new low right when they are hurting the most. This is the greatest exposure of the real FH attitude that I have commented on since I joined this forum.

That's really not debatable

What is not debatable is how low you all have sunk.

Words actually fail me.....

The decline of Alco football has been a super hot local topic after the Silver Oak realization. Not that the discussion was new, but it seems to have hit its lowest and most discussed moment. Especially when you have long time WCBC announcers calling it the lowest point in Allegany football history. The factors that go into why FH is where they are and why Alco is where they are remain vast. I don't believe there is one complete reason as there exists a multitude of them.

However, I have seen and heard enough of incorrect assumptions based on zero facts. This whole belief that a wave of kids move into the FH district to play football is a complete fallacy. theprocessworks is connected...when he tells us there is one kid, there is one kid. I'm connected and I'm also stating with complete knowledge of first hand data this is not the case in the least. The difference is kids walking the school hallways go out for football at FH. Not so much in any other sport. It's literally that simple. In decade's past there have been a tiny handful of kids switch over to either Alco or FH for sports reasons. But we are talking about a 42 man roster at FH this year versus a 21 man roster at Alco. There are not 21 other kids moving into FH territory that make the numbers so vast. Anytime I hear this as an excuse or as accepted logic it just reminds me of why Alco in this position to begin with.

Again, there are many levels and reasons why the two city school drifted apart in football. If you want my top reason, it's because one program is in a winning cycle and the other is in the opposite. How it got to that point is what we are really talking about here. Combine that with the population decline and participation concepts of kids these days and there you have the top reason.

I'm sure some will take what I am about to say as a FH guy just beating his chest for the "circle jerk". So take this with a grain of salt...last week's FH game was pee wee night. I was on the sideline with my pee wee grandson and all his teammates. The Saints and Renegades were all there. It was mandatory. Over 100 kids running through the sign and slapping high fives after every FH touchdown with the FH players. Every single child had a huge smile and a look on their face that said, "this is going to be me some day". Winning just fuels the fire. And without the winning part of the function that same look isn't always there. This was separate from when FH did the same thing with the cheerleaders a few weeks ago.

Yes, other schools like Alco may have a pee wee night, a summer youth camp, parents and grandparents who played, and a participation process. Not like this. Bryan Hansel called FH football a cult. It is. None of the success has been achieved with using players that come here from out of district. If Allegany football and the people who run it continue to just accept this as fact, there will be no recovery.

Last edited:
The facts says otherwise, but why listen to them when they dont agree with you, right. And tint laws are about driver visibility. To claim they are for anything else is one of the most disingenuous stances you've taken. And no, foggy windows are not probable cause for investigation.

And castle doctrine has to do with your house, property or car. Places you expect safety and privacy. Stand your ground happens anywhere in public. It was actually explained in the link I left, but I have to admit... I'm in no way surprised that you didnt read it.

To claim they are for anything else is one of the most disingenuous stances you've taken.

Really?

A quote from a major company doing business all over the country....

"Why is window tint illegal in some states?

Most states prohibit window tinting for safety and security purposes. Tinting limits the amount of light that enters the car but can make it hard to view the street. Limited vision leads to an increased number of accidents on the road.
The other reason why tinting may be illegal is for public safety when it comes to the police and other federal agencies. Extremely dark tint can be obstructive to investigations, and dangerous during traffic stops and other incidents."

The site.

https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/automotive-window-tint-laws-by-state

As to the other issue:

Castle Doctrine varies by state. In MD it makes a huge difference where you are. Hell, MD isn't even a 'shall issue' state.

"Maryland follows several common law principles relating to self defense, which include:

• Duty to Retreat - In situations that take place outside of a person's home the individual defending themselves has the duty to retreat, unless doing so is unsafe or impossible.
  • The Castle Doctrine - In a person's home they do not need to retreat, but can stand their ground and attempt to defeat or deter the invader. However, the use of force here must still be reasonable."
The site:

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/maryland-law/maryland-self-defense-laws.html

There are differing opinions on things. It's fine. In MD, unless you have a carry permit, the laws in transporting a handgun are strict.... unloaded, ammo separate... not easily accessible..... must be going direct to a range etc... not stopping off at a friends house. There is no Castle Doctrine in MD for your auto if you can't even have access to a handgun.... Try getting a carry permit in MD.

Last edited:
And I shouldn't be doing your research for you Lag, but go to this thread below and tell me again how I give Appel a free pass on anything, you twat. I'm just as critical of Appel when he deserves it as I am of anyone.

https://marylandvarsity.forums.rivals.com/threads/post-game-interview.5745/

Cool stuff.... here it is after the October loss:

Appel will throw whomever he can under the bus to make himself look better. I even noticed McKenney took his headset off in the second quarter, probably couldn't stand to listen to the sh!t anymore.

I am far more disappointed in Coach's crybaby antics than I am this loss.

Helmick, I know you're loyal to the team and will probably suffer and keep doing what you do..but I would tell coach to go get bent.

Whatever happened to saying we accepted a challenge and got beat by a better team?

But.... and a big but.... this is after a loss. He sure did show more of his personality. However, I was addressing his public comments about the students grades. Big difference. Discussing a students grades should have demanded a public apology. And, like everything else, Appel gets away with it.

Twats the difference you ask.... big difference.

Cool stuff.... here it is after the October loss:

Appel will throw whomever he can under the bus to make himself look better. I even noticed McKenney took his headset off in the second quarter, probably couldn't stand to listen to the sh!t anymore.

I am far more disappointed in Coach's crybaby antics than I am this loss.

Helmick, I know you're loyal to the team and will probably suffer and keep doing what you do..but I would tell coach to go get bent.

Whatever happened to saying we accepted a challenge and got beat by a better team?

But.... and a big but.... this is after a loss. He sure did show more of his personality. However, I was addressing his public comments about the students grades. Big difference. Discussing a students grades should have demanded a public apology. And, like everything else, Appel gets away with it.

Twats the difference you ask.... big difference.

I was absolutely pissed at what he had to say after that game. There have been other times I've called him out. For many years.

So if you want to talk vaguely, and use euphemisms, then so be it. But you were directing your comments at me in response directly to one of my posts. I suggest you check yourself if you're going to fling your brand of poo, and show me where I did or didn't say or not say anything about the grades issue.

I was absolutely pissed at what he had to say after that game. There have been other times I've called him out. For many years.

So if you want to talk vaguely, and use euphemisms, then so be it. But you were directing your comments at me in response directly to one of my posts. I suggest you check yourself if you're going to fling your brand of poo, and show me where I did or didn't say or not say anything about the grades issue.

For this:

You get my comments directed at you.

Hansel is the coach of a high school football team on the skids. There is no regardless of this or regardless of that. He hasn't publicly criticized a student's grades. He deserves better.

The decline of Alco football has been a super hot local topic after the Silver Oak realization. Not that the discussion was new, but it seems to have hit its lowest and most discussed moment. Especially when you have long time WCBC announcers calling it the lowest point in Allegany football history. The factors that go into why FH is where they are and why Alco is where they are remain vast. I don't believe there is one complete reason as there exists a multitude of them.

However, I have seen and heard enough of incorrect assumptions based on zero facts. This whole belief that a wave of kids move into the FH district to play football is a complete fallacy. theprocessworks is connected...when he tells us there is one kid, there is one kid. I'm connected and I'm also stating with complete knowledge of first hand data this is not the case in the least. The difference is kids walking the school hallways go out for football at FH. Not so much in any other sport. It's literally that simple. In decade's past there have been a tiny handful of kids switch over to either Alco or FH for sports reasons. But we are talking about a 42 man roster at FH this year versus a 21 man roster at Alco. There are not 21 other kids moving into FH territory that make the numbers so vast. Anytime I hear this as an excuse or as accepted logic it just reminds me of why Alco in this position to begin with.

Again, there are many levels and reasons why the two city school drifted apart in football. If you want my top reason, it's because one program is in a winning cycle and the other is in the opposite. How it got to that point is what we are really talking about here. Combine that with the population decline and participation concepts of kids these days and there you have the top reason.

I'm sure some will take what I am about to say as a FH guy just beating his chest for the "circle jerk". So take this with a grain of salt...last week's FH game was pee wee night. I was on the sideline with my pee wee grandson and all his teammates. The Saints and Renegades were all there. It was mandatory. Over 100 kids running through the sign and slapping high fives after every FH touchdown with the FH players. Every single child had a huge smile and a look on their face that said, "this is going to be me some day". Winning just fuels the fire. And without the winning part of the function that same look isn't always there. This was separate from when FH did the same thing with the cheerleaders a few weeks ago.

Yes, other schools like Alco may have a pee wee night, a summer youth camp, parents and grandparents who played, and a participation process. Not like this. Bryan Hansel called FH football a cult. It is. None of the success has been achieved with using players that come here from out of district. If Allegany football and the people who run it continue to just accept this as fact, there will be no recovery.

As I have posted, it is demographics and generational. With the declining numbers, though, even one transfer can be dramatic. But to be clear... I never posted that FH was made up of a bunch of Alco transfers. It has always been my opinion that Allegany suffers from not being the school that gets the ring. Either the kids are getting injured or they are giving up. My opinion.

As I have posted, it is demographics and generational. With the declining numbers, though, even one transfer can be dramatic. But to be clear... I never posted that FH was made up of a bunch of Alco transfers. It has always been my opinion that Allegany suffers from not being the school that gets the ring. Either the kids are getting injured or they are giving up. My opinion.

Yea for sure. Just one player at 1A level can be a huge difference. Give you that one. I really feel Welch was Area Player of The Year. Just his loss alone would sting anybody.

For this:

You get my comments directed at you.

Hansel is the coach of a high school football team on the skids. There is no regardless of this or regardless of that. He hasn't publicly criticized a student's grades. He deserves better.

My point was regardless of what everyone knows, or in your case, doesn't know. Allegany is a having issues right now. Kids are not happy with SOMETHING. Kids are quitting. Players aren't performing. Something is off.

Fort Hill is not having those issues. That's the difference. And I'm still not sure what Appel "got away with"...do you have the direct quote and where this was said?

And yes, Hansel is the coach of a team on the skids. It is his job to fix it. You debate that?

Reactions: Waggle Pass
My point was regardless of what everyone knows, or in your case, doesn't know. Allegany is a having issues right now. Kids are not happy with SOMETHING. Kids are quitting. Players aren't performing. Something is off.

Fort Hill is not having those issues. That's the difference. And I'm still not sure what Appel "got away with"...do you have the direct quote and where this was said?

And yes, Hansel is the coach of a team on the skids. It is his job to fix it. You debate that?
Well said!!
Well said TDHelmick

To claim they are for anything else is one of the most disingenuous stances you've taken.

Really?

A quote from a major company doing business all over the country....

"Why is window tint illegal in some states?

Most states prohibit window tinting for safety and security purposes. Tinting limits the amount of light that enters the car but can make it hard to view the street. Limited vision leads to an increased number of accidents on the road.
The other reason why tinting may be illegal is for public safety when it comes to the police and other federal agencies. Extremely dark tint can be obstructive to investigations, and dangerous during traffic stops and other incidents."

The site.

https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/automotive-window-tint-laws-by-state

As to the other issue:

Castle Doctrine varies by state. In MD it makes a huge difference where you are. Hell, MD isn't even a 'shall issue' state.

"Maryland follows several common law principles relating to self defense, which include:

• Duty to Retreat - In situations that take place outside of a person's home the individual defending themselves has the duty to retreat, unless doing so is unsafe or impossible.
  • The Castle Doctrine - In a person's home they do not need to retreat, but can stand their ground and attempt to defeat or deter the invader. However, the use of force here must still be reasonable."
The site:

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/maryland-law/maryland-self-defense-laws.html

There are differing opinions on things. It's fine. In MD, unless you have a carry permit, the laws in transferring a handgun are strict.... unloaded, ammo separate... not easily accessible..... must be going direct to a range etc... not stopping off at a friends house. There is no Castle Doctrine in MD for your auto if you can't even have access to a handgun.... Try getting a carry permit in MD.

Truly amazing how Onething gets turned into another.

I'm not sure why there is all this talk about players not getting water breaks, When I was in School 1 or 2 would happen every practice even in the summer and a 2 hour practice and sometimes two practices a day.
We ran suicides and a lap after practice and I know back then at FH they ran like dogs, they would run suicides and then run completely around the stadium and up the steps and that to me looked like DEATH
Coaches Cursed all the time at players, it happened all the time but now they get in trouble for talking to them that way because we are supposed to have them babied for some reason or another.
Todd Apple to me is one of the best Coaches Cumberland has ever seen but I do hate how when he has lost in the past talks about stuff like we shouldn't have to play teams like this and just sounds of whining but when he talked about a kids grades I never seen anything wrong with that at all, I mean why all of the sudden does telling the truth have to be bad. He didn't talk about their injuries or medical records but their grades and truth is he was saying the kid should work harder in the classroom and I have no problem with that at all.
The Documentary of Martinsburg Football that came out last week was about drugs & alcohol and the Coach was talking about the parents and the deaths of his former players and the at home problems of his current players, their grades and also the recruiting of his players.
I guess that's Why I like Trump so Much as he tells ya exactly what he is thinking and what he wants to do and doesn't sugar coat any of it. I believe the same way I guess, if someone wants a War We go into it to Win...
Not just hit them and try to scare them but go in with plans of knocking them off the map taking their oil and not going back to build it back up again like we have done so many other times.
I Like Winners

Fort Hill is not having those issues

Yep, Appel can publicly criticize a student's grades and gets a pass.... 'cause you can ride the bench and get a ring.

Hansel, on the other hand, is not Sidney Poitier and Cumberland is not the "To Sir, With Love" movie. Frankly, if I were Hansel and I thought the parents of my team had your attitude I would tell them to cram the program up their ass when the season is over.

Kids are not happy with SOMETHING

That is the fuggin' post blurb of the year. At least you noticed it somewhere. Sorry you missed the fact that 75% of the high school grads need remedial work in junior college. Maybe the kids are unhappy with that too. Have you confronted a teacher about that? It certainly was their job to fix it.

In Hansel's case this is an extra curricular activity in a contact sport. If the kids don't like getting hit and losing.... leave. If the kids have hurt feelings over words in a contact sport.... leave.

Well, apparently some are and there aren't the numbers in a dying town to make up the difference. Oh, and by the way..... Cumberland is dying. The adults there should fix it.

I'm not sure why there is all this talk about players not getting water breaks, When I was in School 1 or 2 would happen every practice even in the summer and a 2 hour practice and sometimes two practices a day.
We ran suicides and a lap after practice and I know back then at FH they ran like dogs, they would run suicides and then run completely around the stadium and up the steps and that to me looked like DEATH
Coaches Cursed all the time at players, it happened all the time but now they get in trouble for talking to them that way because we are supposed to have them babied for some reason or another.
Todd Apple to me is one of the best Coaches Cumberland has ever seen but I do hate how when he has lost in the past talks about stuff like we shouldn't have to play teams like this and just sounds of whining but when he talked about a kids grades I never seen anything wrong with that at all, I mean why all of the sudden does telling the truth have to be bad. He didn't talk about their injuries or medical records but their grades and truth is he was saying the kid should work harder in the classroom and I have no problem with that at all.
The Documentary of Martinsburg Football that came out last week was about drugs & alcohol and the Coach was talking about the parents and the deaths of his former players and the at home problems of his current players, their grades and also the recruiting of his players.
I guess that's Why I like Trump so Much as he tells ya exactly what he is thinking and what he wants to do and doesn't sugar coat any of it. I believe the same way I guess, if someone wants a War We go into it to Win...
Not just hit them and try to scare them but go in with plans of knocking them off the map taking their oil and not going back to build it back up again like we have done so many other times.
I Like Winners

I always enjoy what you post. And generally, not always of course, agree with you.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
What makes no sense to someone without any inside knowledge, that being me, is how Preaskorn was just attacked mercilessly over and over, personal things as well as football, the names he was called, the accusations made...and he never EVER had a team like this...yet I'm not seeing any of the things said about him being said about Hansel. Is it now just complacency or have people come to the conclusion they were wrong to be so heavily critical of the korn so now maybe they should not do the same thing with Hansel? Again, I'm an outsider to the Allegany program but it seems like the two individuals have been treated very differently. Maybe it was a personality thing?

Reactions: Harleydeuce
What makes no sense to someone without any inside knowledge, that being me, is how Preaskorn was just attacked mercilessly over and over, personal things as well as football, the names he was called, the accusations made...and he never EVER had a team like this...yet I'm not seeing any of the things said about him being said about Hansel. Is it now just complacency or have people come to the conclusion they were wrong to be so heavily critical of the korn so now maybe they should not do the same thing with Hansel? Again, I'm an outsider to the Allegany program but it seems like the two individuals have been treated very differently. Maybe it was a personality thing?
I think the complacency idea says it. They just don't care anymore. They have been beaten into submission. Where are they?- Wehave8, BigAlco70, snakeskin cowboy, etc... With the exception of Lag they have found other interests I guess.

I still have hope that Allegany can turn their program around. Many years in the past I thought Allegany had the second best team. With the new playoff system in place Allegany doesn’t have to beat Fort hill right away to make it to the final or very far in the playoffs. I think this can help the situation also.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT