ADVERTISEMENT

Homecoming Predictions

Got to be honest, I find it even harder to believe that you got only one water break... even harder than that to believe that players said that coaches faces. You're saying these coaches were hard enough to only give you one break, but then allowed you to be a smartass to their face? Not buying it.

Absolutely, 100%. A few of us were even laughing about it with our old head coach at the bar just last year. Our coaches were hard on us, but they weren't disrespectful to us, and certainly vice versa. The difference is we took fairly hard coaching from them but could joke around with them a lot, too.

If my claim makes it seem like we straight up talked shit to their faces about only getting one water break, that's not how it was. It was all upbeat, joking around, having fun with each other. The cool thing is that all these years later when we see most of them, it's still the exact same way. And with experiences like that as a kid, it's why the program was always a big part of our lives.

Hence why some of us look at the state of the program now in disappointment and hope that it can get back to the same kinda vibe it had back then, along with some more wins maybe.

Reactions: RedPride97
I think the complacency idea says it. They just don't care anymore. They have been beaten into submission. Where are they?- Wehave8, BigAlco70, snakeskin cowboy, etc... With the exception of Lag they have found other interests I guess.

I think the complacency idea says it

Complacency is a mere lack of attention - same ole Alco needs better outreach and feeder... or feeder system okay but they lose them at varsity... or Preaskorn good... Preaskorn bad... dump Hansel.... or whatever.. pick your day and your poison.

Allegany should change its name to Allegory high because it is a metaphor that delivers a broader truth about the complex real-world issues that have slowly killed the town.

Giving attention to Cumberland's main street will not fill it with shops and shoppers. Alco grads posting here will not change the subject de jour of a non-existent rivalry.

The decline of Alco football has been a super hot local topic after the Silver Oak realization. Not that the discussion was new, but it seems to have hit its lowest and most discussed moment. Especially when you have long time WCBC announcers calling it the lowest point in Allegany football history. The factors that go into why FH is where they are and why Alco is where they are remain vast. I don't believe there is one complete reason as there exists a multitude of them.

However, I have seen and heard enough of incorrect assumptions based on zero facts. This whole belief that a wave of kids move into the FH district to play football is a complete fallacy. theprocessworks is connected...when he tells us there is one kid, there is one kid. I'm connected and I'm also stating with complete knowledge of first hand data this is not the case in the least. The difference is kids walking the school hallways go out for football at FH. Not so much in any other sport. It's literally that simple. In decade's past there have been a tiny handful of kids switch over to either Alco or FH for sports reasons. But we are talking about a 42 man roster at FH this year versus a 21 man roster at Alco. There are not 21 other kids moving into FH territory that make the numbers so vast. Anytime I hear this as an excuse or as accepted logic it just reminds me of why Alco in this position to begin with.

Again, there are many levels and reasons why the two city school drifted apart in football. If you want my top reason, it's because one program is in a winning cycle and the other is in the opposite. How it got to that point is what we are really talking about here. Combine that with the population decline and participation concepts of kids these days and there you have the top reason.

I'm sure some will take what I am about to say as a FH guy just beating his chest for the "circle jerk". So take this with a grain of salt...last week's FH game was pee wee night. I was on the sideline with my pee wee grandson and all his teammates. The Saints and Renegades were all there. It was mandatory. Over 100 kids running through the sign and slapping high fives after every FH touchdown with the FH players. Every single child had a huge smile and a look on their face that said, "this is going to be me some day". Winning just fuels the fire. And without the winning part of the function that same look isn't always there. This was separate from when FH did the same thing with the cheerleaders a few weeks ago.

Yes, other schools like Alco may have a pee wee night, a summer youth camp, parents and grandparents who played, and a participation process. Not like this. Bryan Hansel called FH football a cult. It is. None of the success has been achieved with using players that come here from out of district. If Allegany football and the people who run it continue to just accept this as fact, there will be no recovery.
I agree with most of your post and is very true on most things. You are right, 21 kids are not transferring from Allegany to FH. However there are many kids over the years that have transferred to FH from Allegany, Frankfort and Mountain Ridge solely for football.
I can think of two instances where a FH football player had a sister at another school. One kid from Braddock has already transferred to Washington, an 8th grader who was a starting running back.
However this is not the problem at Allegany. The culture at Allegany is damaged right now and really needs to change or people are right, Allegany football will not be around much longer.
FH has built a tradition like no other. Being an Alco fan I am envious of what they have going on right now. The excitement and pride that the FH student body shows blows Allegany's out of the water. If anyone at the Northern game was looking at the Allegany fans from the Northern bleachers you would swear you were looking at a painting as still and quiet as the fans were.
I hope Alco gets it straightened out, to much pride and tradition to let a program go down the tubes this way.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
I agree with most of your post and is very true on most things. You are right, 21 kids are not transferring from Allegany to FH. However there are many kids over the years that have transferred to FH from Allegany, Frankfort and Mountain Ridge solely for football.
I can think of two instances where a FH football player had a sister at another school. One kid from Braddock has already transferred to Washington, an 8th grader who was a starting running back.
However this is not the problem at Allegany. The culture at Allegany is damaged right now and really needs to change or people are right, Allegany football will not be around much longer.
FH has built a tradition like no other. Being an Alco fan I am envious of what they have going on right now. The excitement and pride that the FH student body shows blows Allegany's out of the water. If anyone at the Northern game was looking at the Allegany fans from the Northern bleachers you would swear you were looking at a painting as still and quiet as the fans were.
I hope Alco gets it straightened out, to much pride and tradition to let a program go down the tubes this way.

Yes, there is going to be 1 or 2 kids that bounce to another school for athletic reasons. It happened when I played in the early '80s when FH was losing under head coach Jim Chaney. It's not new. I can give you a handful of kids who reside in the heart of South End but attend Alco. Three of them were brothers where one of them set the all-time Alco rushing record. Another is arguably the best player on the team right now. But their parents are Allegany people and I expect and respect their decisions on where they want to live and where their children wish to go to school. Just saying it happens all directions, but very tiny in the number. Although 1 or 2 kids can be a huge difference at the 1A level. I get that.

I will say...this past week I have talked the normal Homecoming talk with my red and white peers. Most everyone, despite having a "Beat Alco" mentality their whole life - even the ones that go so far to even despise the Campers - have stated that we all want Alco to be competitive again. It does the rivalry, the town, the kids, Homecoming, etc. no good to have Alco struggle to maintain their program and numbers. As an example, if you don't have a kid involved, not many on the FH side are excited about Homecoming anymore other than a chance to see some friends. The game they could care less about due to the lopsided nature. Sad, most actually miss the days of not knowing who would win.

Although I have to say again, if BW is successful at putting a football program together...this town cannot support 3 football programs. Do the math. Sure, BW will try to recruit kids from greater distances, but they will require a large amount of local area kids. Alco football won't survive that right now. Second part of that, get a JV team together next season no matter what it takes. There is no getting the numbers up with the incoming classes without it

Reactions: ConeyIsland
Agree, TD. Many FH faithful want to see Alco overcome the slump they are having right now. I read a lot of Facebook posts from current Alco football parents talking about the negativity and disrespect shown to their kids. I refrain from posting, so as not to start a war, but if they are referring to the FH fans, as the whole, I would have to disagree. I would assume the negativity is coming mostly from within, which is what makes it even more hurtful for them.

Yes, there is going to be 1 or 2 kids that bounce to another school for athletic reasons. It happened when I played in the early '80s when FH was losing under head coach Jim Chaney. It's not new. I can give you a handful of kids who reside in the heart of South End but attend Alco. Three of them were brothers where one of them set the all-time Alco rushing record. Another is arguably the best player on the team right now. But their parents are Allegany people and I expect and respect their decisions on where they want to live and where their children wish to go to school. Just saying it happens all directions, but very tiny in the number. Although 1 or 2 kids can be a huge difference at the 1A level. I get that.

I will say...this past week I have talked the normal Homecoming talk with my red and white peers. Most everyone, despite having a "Beat Alco" mentality their whole life - even the ones that go so far to even despise the Campers - have stated that we all want Alco to be competitive again. It does the rivalry, the town, the kids, Homecoming, etc. no good to have Alco struggle to maintain their program and numbers. As an example, if you don't have a kid involved, not many on the FH side are excited about Homecoming anymore other than a chance to see some friends. The game they could care less about due to the lopsided nature. Sad, most actually miss the days of not knowing who would win.

Although I have to say again, if BW is successful at putting a football program together...this town cannot support 3 football programs. Do the math. Sure, BW will try to recruit kids from greater distances, but they will require a large amount of local area kids. Alco football won't survive that right now. Second part of that, get a JV team together next season no matter what it takes. There is no getting the numbers up with the incoming classes without it
I'm not sure if you are referring to the Robinette brothers or not but if so there are no Robinettes on the team this year

Agree, TD. Many FH faithful want to see Alco overcome the slump they are having right now. I read a lot of Facebook posts from current Alco football parents talking about the negativity and disrespect shown to their kids. I refrain from posting, so as not to start a war, but if they are referring to the FH fans, as the whole, I would have to disagree. I would assume the negativity is coming mostly from within, which is what makes it even more hurtful for them.

After the scorn heaped on Allegany by red-jackets over the years - and continuing against the program and coach - I find your comments odd.

Cool stuff.... here it is after the October loss:

Appel will throw whomever he can under the bus to make himself look better. I even noticed McKenney took his headset off in the second quarter, probably couldn't stand to listen to the sh!t anymore.

I am far more disappointed in Coach's crybaby antics than I am this loss.

Helmick, I know you're loyal to the team and will probably suffer and keep doing what you do..but I would tell coach to go get bent.

Whatever happened to saying we accepted a challenge and got beat by a better team?

But.... and a big but.... this is after a loss. He sure did show more of his personality. However, I was addressing his public comments about the students grades. Big difference. Discussing a students grades should have demanded a public apology. And, like everything else, Appel gets away with it.

Twats the difference you ask.... big difference.

But you said in an earlier post that R.Wingate didn't play for Allegany because of his grades. Why do you get a pass? Right or wrong...coach Appel makes himself available to the public at any time. He doesn't hide behind the anonymity of a message board.

But you said in an earlier post that R.Wingate didn't play for Allegany because of his grades. Why do you get a pass? Right or wrong...coach Appel makes himself available to the public at any time. He doesn't hide behind the anonymity of a message board.

Find the quote you ass.

Complete and utter bullshit. I never mentioned the young man's name in reference to his grades.... ever. It was always a player type reference by me. Furthermore, an entire thread was consumed by this subject. But go ahead and see if you can find me using his name while mentioning his grades... go ahead.

Yep... go dig it up. It was one of your circle-jerkers who started a thread (I believe) about a kid transferring to FH. It got Hansel involved in stopping him because of grades.... but go ahead and see if you can find me posting the young man's name and referencing his grades.

Last edited:
You all really should stop talking about things you don’t know about. Specifically, a kid that couldn’t play because of grades. You really have no clue about the truth behind the situation that led to that kid that you are now calling out by name not playing. If you don’t have facts don’t make assumptions because you all look like a bunch of a$$s.

You all really should stop talking about things you don’t know about. Specifically, a kid that couldn’t play because of grades. You really have no clue about the truth behind the situation that led to that kid that you are now calling out by name not playing. If you don’t have facts don’t make assumptions because you all look like a bunch of a$$s.

I didn't do it and I challenged that ass to prove that I did. Come to think of it.... I don't think anybody mentioned an exact name until that guy did it. There was a long discussion about it in a thread. I also understand that it was brought up that he had an illness that was ongoing. That will keep you out of school.

Last edited:
" this user limits who can review his posts ". You posted that a player didn't play for Allegany this year because of his grades. It was in 100 % regards to R.W.You can spin it anyway you want to. BUSTED

" this user limits who can review his posts ". You posted that a player didn't play for Allegany this year because of his grades. It was in 100 % regards to R.W.You can spin it anyway you want to. BUSTED

You said I specifically mentioned his name in regards to his grades. You are a liar and can kiss my ass.

Now you are admitting to it?
I would be happy to show you but you block your posts. Why is that?

I didn't do it and I challenged that ass to prove that I did. Come to think of it.... I don't think anybody mentioned an exact name until that guy did it. There was a long discussion about it in a thread. I also understand that it was brought up that he had an illness that was ongoing. That will keep you out of school.
I’m not saying you called him by name but NONE of you on this forum spoke facts in the thread you are referring to and every time one of you say “because of grades” you are not portraying the whole story. It’s insulting.

Now you are admitting to it?
I would be happy to show you but you block your posts. Why is that?

Along with being a circle-jerking ass, you're also a dumbass. I gave you extra information that the subject was extensively discussed by you red-jacket jerkers. Search Brian and you surely will find the thread. In fact, I feel fairly sure that you... and only you... have mentioned the young man's name in connection to grades. You just did it in this thread. That makes you a typical, insensitive Alco hating prick.

So, look it up and then go jerk-off at the game while expressing your red-jacket, fake concern for the Camper program.

I’m not saying you called him by name but NONE of you on this forum spoke facts in the thread you are referring to and every time one of you say “because of grades” you are not portraying the whole story. It’s insulting.

There was a long thread about this. I wish you would have expressed concern then. Understand too that I didn't start it. There is nothing insulting about the discussion of the loss of numbers on the Alco team. Would you like heretofore the young man added to the total of those who quit? HIs loss will be accounted for. And, specifically please share some of your wrath with the FH fandom who started the discussion and linked his name to grades.

FH 56
Alco 7

And if the best player Alco has right now walked up the hill to FH to go to school,, Allegany would be in even worse shape.

Other than not being able to field a team at all, they are already there. If during the season that Alco beat Dunbar, one would project that we would be where we are now they would be dubbed as crazy. And, of course, the bullshit accusations of bad program and coaching wasn't brought up then either.... only that Alco can't beat FH.

So, what we have now are opportunistic smears under the guise of concern. And...that concern is only about FH fandom not being able to feel good about beating Allegany again.

Keep it up Lags. For those of us not at the game we need your entertainment until we hear the final score this afternoon.

There was a long thread about this. I wish you would have expressed concern then. Understand too that I didn't start it. There is nothing insulting about the discussion of the loss of numbers on the Alco team. Would you like heretofore the young man added to the total of those who quit? HIs loss will be accounted for. And, specifically please share some of your wrath with the FH fandom who started the discussion and linked his name to grades.
I wish I would have as well but I didn’t. So here we are. Im not blaming you for that, I know who started that conversation. I’m just putting it out there that if people don’t know the truth they just shouldn’t pretend like they do. That is what is insulting.

Reactions: Lagmeister
I wish I would have as well but I didn’t. So here we are. Im not blaming you for that, I know who started that conversation. I’m just putting it out there that if people don’t know the truth they just shouldn’t pretend like they do. That is what is insulting.

Fair enough. The loss of players this year as to who should be on the field is staggering. Serves little purpose to itemize. Actually, I think I've lost exact count. From a great sophomore team to injuries we are somewhere around 10... 11... not even sure anymore. So, for me I will just leave it at that type of comment.

I wish the young man well and thank you for your posts.

Reactions: C.Dub.82
Not too far off. If FH had scored instead of the interception in the first half you would have been almost spot on.

The game went basically the way I thought it would. FH up early, although I admit I thought they'd be up by more and earlier. And Alco scoring late.

Reactions: PowerRamRight
The game went basically the way I thought it would. FH up early, although I admit I thought they'd be up by more and earlier. And Alco scoring late.

Fort Hill had 8 possessions in the game.....5 TDs, 1 FG, 1 Turnover & 1 Turned over on Downs......not bad really..

Alco had 9 possessions.....2 TDs in 4Q, 1 Turnover, 5 Punts & 1 Time ran out at end of 2Q.

Just for the record Last years team had 1 kid from another district.

You are probably correct sir but the movement of players into the district starts earlier than high school. This often times happens in upper elementary and middle school years. I will also say that it is not inclusive to Fort Hill but happens in many other places too.

The decline of Alco football has been a super hot local topic after the Silver Oak realization. Not that the discussion was new, but it seems to have hit its lowest and most discussed moment. Especially when you have long time WCBC announcers calling it the lowest point in Allegany football history. The factors that go into why FH is where they are and why Alco is where they are remain vast. I don't believe there is one complete reason as there exists a multitude of them.

However, I have seen and heard enough of incorrect assumptions based on zero facts. This whole belief that a wave of kids move into the FH district to play football is a complete fallacy. theprocessworks is connected...when he tells us there is one kid, there is one kid. I'm connected and I'm also stating with complete knowledge of first hand data this is not the case in the least. The difference is kids walking the school hallways go out for football at FH. Not so much in any other sport. It's literally that simple. In decade's past there have been a tiny handful of kids switch over to either Alco or FH for sports reasons. But we are talking about a 42 man roster at FH this year versus a 21 man roster at Alco. There are not 21 other kids moving into FH territory that make the numbers so vast. Anytime I hear this as an excuse or as accepted logic it just reminds me of why Alco in this position to begin with.

Again, there are many levels and reasons why the two city school drifted apart in football. If you want my top reason, it's because one program is in a winning cycle and the other is in the opposite. How it got to that point is what we are really talking about here. Combine that with the population decline and participation concepts of kids these days and there you have the top reason.

I'm sure some will take what I am about to say as a FH guy just beating his chest for the "circle jerk". So take this with a grain of salt...last week's FH game was pee wee night. I was on the sideline with my pee wee grandson and all his teammates. The Saints and Renegades were all there. It was mandatory. Over 100 kids running through the sign and slapping high fives after every FH touchdown with the FH players. Every single child had a huge smile and a look on their face that said, "this is going to be me some day". Winning just fuels the fire. And without the winning part of the function that same look isn't always there. This was separate from when FH did the same thing with the cheerleaders a few weeks ago.

Yes, other schools like Alco may have a pee wee night, a summer youth camp, parents and grandparents who played, and a participation process. Not like this. Bryan Hansel called FH football a cult. It is. None of the success has been achieved with using players that come here from out of district. If Allegany football and the people who run it continue to just accept this as fact, there will be no recovery.

This is a very good post that spells out many of the reasons for Fort Hills' success. After reading it I feel as though I should clarify some of what I wrote in my above post.

I do not think out of district kids play for Fort Hill. However, what does occur not only at Fort Hill but other strong football schools like Martinsburg and Bridgeport is that players and their families will move into district prior to becoming students at the school. Of course the primary reason being is to be a part of a good program.

The students who do those usually,but not always, are pretty good football players. It does create an overwhelming shift in the power balance of local football as evidenced by the scores those schools put up against local competition.

It's also fairly evident that this occurs in other sports too. It's part of the landscape of high school sports any place in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT