ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game interview

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
Mark Manges on WTBO was interviewing Coach Appel after the game and he said "We shouldn't have to be playing this game. Todd Helmick scheduled it and it's ridiculous."

So let me get this straight. If it weren't for Todd Helmick FH would have been playing another mercy clock game this weekend. Some of you are tough on him but I think it's clear who wants what. I for one am glad FH got tested before Homecoming and the playoffs get here.

You can take that 2 ways. The MPSSAA has created this mess that has forced Todd into scheduling this game. The system is obviously broken.

Coach was upset about injuries that were taking place. FCC had a full offense, and a full defense. I don’t recall seeing any player play both sides of the ball.

Mark Manges on WTBO was interviewing Coach Appel after the game and he said "We shouldn't have to be playing this game. Todd Helmick scheduled it and it's ridiculous."

So let me get this straight. If it weren't for Todd Helmick FH would have been playing another mercy clock game this weekend. Some of you are tough on him but I think it's clear who wants what. I for one am glad FH got tested before Homecoming and the playoffs get here.
Tell Apple to schedule his own damn games then. Helmick does more than anyone in this area for local players. This sounds very disrespectful.

Reactions: camper21502
I agree. I don’t think it’s necessary to play teams that can platoon that kind of talent. Todd shouldn’t have to go through this every year to field a schedule. The MPSSAA needs to work the system out. It’s broken.

I was just talking to a group after the game and one of them mentioned the pre-game interview. Coach was ranting, AGAIN, about the playoff system and how even Mike Calhoun has basically done nothing to help the situation in his job capacity...and I just had to roll my eyes and bite my tongue - they all think if you criticize Coach it's blasphemy! I just think it's time to move on, we get it, we know how you feel, most of us agree, but it is what it is, and it sounds like you're whining. You've won 4 straight titles, just be happy and enjoy what you're accomplishing with the hand your dealt.
So throwing Helmick under the bus is going to help how?
I didn't hear that part, but if it was said, man that sounds like a sore loser.

I was just talking to a group after the game and one of them mentioned the pre-game interview. Coach was ranting, AGAIN, about the playoff system and how even Mike Calhoun has basically done nothing to help the situation in his job capacity...and I just had to roll my eyes and bite my tongue - they all think if you criticize Coach it's blasphemy! I just think it's time to move on, we get it, we know how you feel, most of us agree, but it is what it is, and it sounds like you're whining. You've won 4 straight titles, just be happy and enjoy what you're accomplishing with the hand your dealt.
So throwing Helmick under the bus is going to help how?
I didn't hear that part, but if it was said, man that sounds like a sore loser.
I didn’t hear the interview. Been a long 2 weeks I’m sure.

I agree. I don’t think it’s necessary to play teams that can platoon that kind of talent. Todd shouldn’t have to go through this every year to field a schedule. The MPSSAA needs to work the system out. It’s broken.
Thats exactly what Northern and other schools around here say about FH. You sound like them now.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoyznBlue
Appel will throw whomever he can under the bus to make himself look better. I even noticed McKenney took his headset off in the second quarter, probably couldn't stand to listen to the sh!t anymore.

I am far more disappointed in Coach's crybaby antics than I am this loss.

Helmick, I know you're loyal to the team and will probably suffer and keep doing what you do..but I would tell coach to go get bent.

Whatever happened to saying we accepted a challenge and got beat by a better team?

Maybe we're being hardasses but it seems like when you win gracefully you have to lose the same way. You win as a team, you lose as a team, and you don't blame anybody but yourself(at least until you get behind closed doors).

Last edited:
You can take that 2 ways. The MPSSAA has created this mess that has forced Todd into scheduling this game. The system is obviously broken.
How? Is Fort Hill not the top point team in the west? Nobody was forced into this game.
They were but after today FH and alco become basically even and homecoming becomes winner is the #1 seed.
If FH would have played some scrub 3a or 4a team and gotten upwards of 10+ points off of them then FH would have took probably a 20 point lead over alco.
But the system is what it is and has been beaten like a dead horse.

There’s plenty of horse beating on this forum. Lol. For the sake of why for the one thousandth time, I’ll let it go.

I agree with most of the guys above. It's beating a dead horse. Learn from today and move on.

I've always disliked the immediately after the game interviews. At any level of football, you're still running on that emotion. I'm sure coach was more upset about the injuries than anything else.
I agree... I feel Apple truly loves his kids, doesn’t want to see them get hurt, and doesn’t want them in over their head. I feel he doesn’t care about scheduling arguments, and he just wants to compete at the level he’s been assigned to compete at.

Thank you Waggle. I couldn’t agree more. In the end we are human. It’s always easy for people to take shots on here. It’s a forum. I get it. FH got beat by a very good team today. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Thank you Waggle. I couldn’t agree more. In the end we are human. It’s always easy for people to take shots on here. It’s a forum. I get it. FH got beat by a very good team today. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Apparently it's easy to take a shot at people who help you on the radio.

I agree... I feel Apple truly loves his kids, doesn’t want to see them get hurt, and doesn’t want them in over their head. I feel he doesn’t care about scheduling arguments, and he just wants to compete at the level he’s been assigned to compete at.
All coaches love their kids and don't want them to get hurt. Doesn't excuse throwing people who work hard for your program under the bus. It's classless.

All coaches love their kids and don't want them to get hurt. Doesn't excuse throwing people who work hard for your program under the bus. It's classless.
Stop that right now... don’t associate me with that comment at all! Entirely a separate subject.

I’m only referencing the emotion of the game, and the intent of the play calling. That’s between Todd and Todd. I don’t know the whole story, and private conversations they may have had.

Stop that right now... don’t associate me with that comment at all! Entirely a separate subject.

I’m only referencing the emotion of the game, and the intent of the play calling. That’s between Todd and Todd. I don’t know the whole story, and private conversations they may have had.
That's what the subject of the entire thread is about. Not play calling. You even brought up scheduling, so you're already associating yourself with the comment.

Gen, just ignore the smell. It will eventually go away. Both Todd’s have the team at heart. The sky isn’t falling and all is well.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I’m separating myself from any feeling about a public comment for the fact I don’t know the whole story.

Exactly. People don’t know the relationship or conversations between two people but want to drum up drama. They both wear big britches and will work things out.

Exactly. People don’t know the relationship or conversations between two people but want to drum up drama. They both wear big britches and will work things out.
Another gold medal for those mental gymnastics. You're as bad as the French judges from the Olympics.

I’m saying I don’t know the whole story bud, that’s it.
You don't know the whole story about any of it. Hasn't stopped you from giving your opinion on any other part. You gave your opinion about the play calling and other parts of the interview without knowing the whole story.

You don't know the whole story about any of it. Hasn't stopped you from giving your opinion on any other part. You gave your opinion about the play calling and other parts of the interview without knowing the whole story.
Brother... read this comment you JUST wrote... if you can’t figure out how you would argue against this if you was me... you’ve already lost.

Brother... read this comment you JUST wrote... if you can’t figure out how you would argue against this if you was me... you’ve already lost.
So you still can't explain why you contradict yourself so often. Is it comfortable in that bubble you voluntarily hide away in?

I just don't like the throwing someone under the bus. He said that ON the radio. I don't care what went on behind the doors, that's none of my business nor do I want to know.

He said what he said. If he and Todd are cool with it, then good on them. But if his emotions can make him say that, my emotions can react to what was said.

I Really Respect Todd Appel but can't believe he would say that about Todd Helmick a guy that has done so much for not just FH but all local Schools and kids that he could help.
Just take the loss and move on and go Win a 5th straight State Title, No need for this

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT