ADVERTISEMENT

All MPSSAA winter and spring sports have been suspended indefinitely

Stanford doctor says majority of hospitalizations in Texas 'have nothing to do with COVID-19'

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...ons-in-texas-have-nothing-to-do-with-covid-19

You mean articles like this (standard American media manufacture and sell practice):

Texas' Largest Hospital Reaches 100 Percent ICU Capacity
https://www.newsweek.com/texass-largest-hospital-reaches-100-percent-icu-capacity-1513481

EXCEPT as you read on down through the article - for those who bother to look past headlines: According to a document obtained by The Houston Chronicle, about 28 percent of ICU beds are being used by COVID-19 patients, while 72 percent of them are currently occupied by non-COVID-19 patients.

LOL

OK, thanks.
Are you good with this type of planning? Is it what you would recommend as well? Again, I ask because 4 months from now I may read your thoughts that we opened schools too soon.

Yes, I am okay with this type of planning.

It appears as if MD is attempting to do things right. Then again, MD has been doing things right since the early days of COVID-19 under Governor Hogan’s leadership.

Yes, other states have dug themselves holes simply because they opened bars and other hot spot businesses way too soon. The population of such states became impatient and succumbed to the U.S. ingrained desire for instant gratification.

They also failed to mitigate the spread by refusing to wear masks and/or practice social distancing. They have now admitted as much as they experience the negative consequences of such practices.

After the fact, governors are now requiring masks and closing down bars once again.

Will there be bumps in the school year that will perhaps call for only online learning? As long as there is not a vaccine for COVID-19, the potential is always there.

Since gyms were able to open in MD, I have not missed a day going to the gym. Am I taking a risk, especially as an older person? Absolutely. I mitigate that risk by taking the advice of the health experts. I wear a mask even while doing intense cardio work, lifting, plyometrics, etc. I wear surgical gloves, too.

A positive about being in school is tracing can occur in a more manageable way.

Yes, I do believe students need to be in school buildings as often as possible for multiple reasons.

Yes, if guidelines are provided by those in the health community and protocols are strictly followed by students and adults, the start of the school year will be different but relatively safe for all involved.

P.S. To those who want to deny the impact of COVID-19 in the U.S., ask yourselves why the EU will not permit U.S. citizens to enter their countries at this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDHelmick

It appears as if MD is attempting to do things right. Then again, MD has been doing things right since the early days of COVID-19 under Governor Hogan’s leadership.

Yes, other states have dug themselves holes simply because they opened bars and other hot spot businesses way too soon. The population of such states became impatient and succumbed to the U.S. ingrained desire for instant gratification.

They also failed to mitigate the spread by refusing to wear masks and/or practice social distancing. They have now admitted as much as they experience the negative consequences of such practices.

After the fact, governors are now requiring masks and closing down bars once again.

Will there be bumps in the school year that will perhaps call for only online learning? As long as there is not a vaccine for COVID-19, the potential is always there.

Since gyms were able to open in MD, I have not missed a day going to the gym. Am I taking a risk, especially as an older person? Absolutely. I mitigate that risk by taking the advice of the health experts. I wear a mask even while doing intense cardio work, lifting, plyometrics, etc. I wear surgical gloves, too.

A positive about being in school is tracing can occur in a more manageable way.

Yes, I do believe students need to be in school buildings as often as possible for multiple reasons.

Yes, if guidelines are provided by those in the health community and protocols are strictly followed by students and adults, the start of the school year will be different but relatively safe for all involved.

P.S. To those who want to deny the impact of COVID-19 in the U.S., ask yourselves why the EU will not permit U.S. citizens to enter their countries at this time.

COVID deaths per million people rankings for Europe and the US:
1. Belgium 843
2. UK 654
3. Spain 607
4. Italy 577
5. Sweden 539
6. France 459
7. USA 404

COVID is a contagious virus. Masks, social distancing, sanitization, stay home, etc., may help mitigate the damage, it obviously does not stop it. So if the USA is to be blamed for people acting like idiots and ignoring the dangers...then the rest of the world must be doing the same.

What's funny about the human race is that people want to badly blame someone or some action on the spread of a pandemic contagion. Then they want to wall themselves in to find reasons why their little world failed to stop it despite others around the globe facing the same issues and numbers. If you want to compare Asian countries to the free world, be my guest. But you cannot live there and ask for our freedoms.

So you say Maryland did a good job?

Someone else pointed this out to me. Most people know that Sweden did not set any rules for how they handle COVID. No masks, no businesses closed, no schools closed, nothing closed, no stay home orders. None of this at any juncture of the pandemic.

Maryland has a death rate at 53.7 people per 1000 people.
Sweden has a death rate of 53.4 people per 1000 people.

1. Belgium 843
2. UK 654
3. Spain 607
4. Italy 577
5. Sweden 539
6. France 459
7. USA 404

COVID is a contagious virus. Masks, social distancing, sanitization, stay home, etc., may help mitigate the damage, it obviously does not stop it. So if the USA is to be blamed for people acting like idiots and ignoring the dangers...then the rest of the world must be doing the same.

What's funny about the human race is that people want to badly blame someone or some action on the spread of a pandemic contagion. Then they want to wall themselves in to find reasons why their little world failed to stop it despite others around the globe facing the same issues and numbers. If you want to compare Asian countries to the free world, be my guest. But you cannot live there and ask for our freedoms.

The reality is U. S. citizens are not permitted in the EU. Argue all you want, but there is a reason why this is true, and it has everything to do with the inability of U.S. citizens to do what needed to be done and really poor leadership at the national level.

Regarding your statement comparing Asian countries to the free world, I’m not certain where that came from in this argument. I certainly did not make that comparison.

I simply responded to the question you asked related to schools and added that those who want to poo-poo the COVID-19 numbers in the U.S. should ask themselves why U.S. citizens are currently not permitted in the 27 EU countries. I mentioned nothing of Asia.

Last edited:
Maryland has a death rate at 53.7 people per 1000 people.
Sweden has a death rate of 53.4 people per 1000 people.

These numbers don't make any sense at face value. There must be some additional context. Do you have a source? It seems to imply that Maryland has had 53.7 people die from covid out of every 1000 people. There are about 6 million people in MD. That would equate to about 322,000 covid fatalities in MD alone.

These numbers don't make any sense at face value. There must be some additional context. Do you have a source? It seems to imply that Maryland has had 53.7 people die from covid out of every 1000 people. There are about 6 million people in MD. That would equate to about 322,000 covid fatalities in MD alone.

My bad...a typo. The rate is out of 100,000 people.

Maryland has a death rate at 53.7 people per 100,000 people.
Sweden has a death rate of 53.4 people per 100,000 people.

The numbers are the numbers. Feel free to look it up.

1. Belgium 843
2. UK 654
3. Spain 607
4. Italy 577
5. Sweden 539
6. France 459
7. USA 404

Swedish death rates lower than many other European countries, all that without any shut down or mandates. USA behind much of Europe. So they must be idiots who don't listen either. It's very important that we look at what Europe is doing when making assumptions about the USA.

Todd have you heard any rumors about MPSSAA moving football (and basically all fall sports) to the spring?

I texted with the Director himself. There has never been a discussion about moving seasons around.

I also doubt we see Champions crowned until Fall 2021. It's as simple as having a playoff and then a handful of teams drop out due to virus spread. That is no way to determine a champion.

Also, if there is no football playoff (and I doubt there will), the MPSSAA may have to file bankruptcy.

Also, if there are no paying fans then many ADs will not pay for travel and probably not officials either. That is one of the reasons why I see local teams playing local teams only.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Tell it to Dr. Katz...one of the heads that directs the CDC.

Watch what happens in about 3-4 months when it's realized the current precautions did nothing and food/shelter is difficult to afford with no jobs. Being a sports forum, there won't be any sports until there is a vaccine. Not that sports is relevant in all this.

If you really want to understand why protecting the critical was my approach you need to read the article Lag posted from the NY Times. It was only written by Dr. Katz, the founding director of the CDC funded Univerity of Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center.

Is Our Fight Against Coronavirus Worse Than the Disease?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing.html

Thanks for offering your solutions or ideas. I can see you have none.

And speaking of Sweden,

"A study published in May suggested that just 7.3% of people in the Swedish capital, Stockholm, had developed coronavirus antibodies, despite Sweden's government adopting a novel and contentious strategy of not imposing a strict lockdown.

Sweden's prime minister, Stefan Lofven, last week ordered an inquiry into the country's handling of the virus, telling reporters "we have thousands of dead" and "now the question is how Sweden should change, not if."

"The new Spanish study, however, casts doubt on the idea that Sweden, which has reported nearly 5,500 coronavirus deaths and has one of the highest per capita death tolls in the world, may not be any better prepared to avert a second wave."

https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...8D_OWgv0jeuhjEf9miVMzTmpPb-BG0V_L0HuH2PlwLzt0

LOL all those herd immunity posts aged well...:eek:

Except no one can explain this. But what does Johns Hopkins know?

107559015_926549024531893_7616434117563292019_n.jpg

Here are the updated stats through July 7:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/

I will wait for this explanation. Some here are not intelligent enough to know what a death rate is. Sweden has failed to test people.

Swedens death rates are ridiculous. And their economy has suffered immensely and will continue to. But they didnt wear masks, kept bars and schools open....and depended on the sensibility of the citizens.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sweden-become-worlds-cautionary-tale-121752098.html

"More than three months later, the coronavirus is blamed for 5,420 deaths in Sweden, according to the World Health Organization. That might not sound especially horrendous compared with the more than 129,000 Americans who have died. But Sweden is a country of only 10 million people. Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40% more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark."

"More than three months later, the coronavirus is blamed for 5,420 deaths in Sweden, according to the World Health Organization. That might not sound especially horrendous compared with the more than 129,000 Americans who have died. But Sweden is a country of only 10 million people. Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40% more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark."

And less than Belgium, England, Spain and Italy.

And of course the US is behind a great deal of European Countries. Maybe Trump screwed Europe too. LOL

And less than Belgium, England, Spain and Italy.

And of course the US is behind a great deal of European Countries. Maybe Trump screwed Europe too. LOL

Of course, it's dates, time frames and who is working the numbers. But from what I gather PA, under lockdown, had 4,500 die in nursing homes (6864 overall). PA has around 12 million in population. Sweden has 10 million in population with 2,900 die in nursing homes (5482 overall). Sweden also has double the population of Denmark and Finland.

To me, lockdowns look pretty worthless but the way everybody treated nursing homes is a disgrace.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
To all the "Wear a Mask" patrol people throwing around demands on others. Where did you go for vacation this summer? I'm all about a mask, but COVID spreads through traveling. If you have not figured that out by now going back to Wuhan, then you are blinded by greed. If you support wearing a mask, you should support "ESSENTIAL TRAVEL ONLY".

Don't be blinded by greed --- wear a mask and use essential travel only -- otherwise STFU.
How many times did you go to the liquor store in March and April? Get it?

I texted with the Director himself. There has never been a discussion about moving seasons around.

I also doubt we see Champions crowned until Fall 2021. It's as simple as having a playoff and then a handful of teams drop out due to virus spread. That is no way to determine a champion.

Also, if there is no football playoff (and I doubt there will), the MPSSAA may have to file bankruptcy.

Also, if there are no paying fans then many ADs will not pay for travel and probably not officials either. That is one of the reasons why I see local teams playing local teams only.

Thanks for checking.

It's going to be hard for public schools to play this year. I've noticed AAU basketball and summer leagues (FH played recently) are going on. Maybe if they don't have any major problems that will help the chances for football.

I think the private schools are going to play unless there's a nuclear war or something, lol.

To all the "Wear a Mask" patrol people throwing around demands on others. Where did you go for vacation this summer? I'm all about a mask, but COVID spreads through traveling. If you have not figured that out by now going back to Wuhan, then you are blinded by greed. If you support wearing a mask, you should support "ESSENTIAL TRAVEL ONLY".

Don't be blinded by greed --- wear a mask and use essential travel only -- otherwise STFU.
How many times did you go to the liquor store in March and April? Get it?

I don’t drink, so I have not been to a liquor store. I have not gone on vacation this summer, and I don’t plan on going anywhere outside of the tri-state area this summer.

I am content with staying at home, going to work, going to church, and going to the gym. I am content with practicing social distancing and wearing a mask outside of my home.

If there is one thing that has become rather apparent during this pandemic it is the selfishness that abounds in the U. S,

With liberty comes responsibility.

Peace to All!

Thanks for checking.

It's going to be hard for public schools to play this year. I've noticed AAU basketball and summer leagues (FH played recently) are going on. Maybe if they don't have any major problems that will help the chances for football.

I think the private schools are going to play unless there's a nuclear war or something, lol.

My contention is this...What barometer are you going to use to say "yes" or "no" to having sports? Because that same barometer has to be used until COVID is gone or there is a cure. If we aren't going to have sports this fall because a few athletes tested positive, then you cannot have sports this winter or spring because a few athletes tested positive. So be prepared for the long haul.

As for private schools...the Ivy League was the first to bail on all sports. I think WV has sports this fall just like they are doing now.

WV Governor Justice already stated schoo; will begin on Sept. 8
and
delayed the start of all High School Sports to Sept. 4
Will announce on Friday if this means practice or games start on Sept 4

Its only going to take 1 positive test by anyone in any school to shut down sports statewide
to much liability for any school to chance

Not certain schools could even get a insurance to cover their asses in a Covid suit

Its only going to take 1 positive test by anyone in any school to shut down sports statewide
to much liability for any school to chance

Every school will have at least 1 positive test during the course of the fall, winter and spring seasons. So there won't be sports in WV until at least August 2021 based on this.

So what actually happens if we dont have HS fall sports this year? I know we'll have a lot of disappointed kids, but disappointments happen. Financially, there should be no consequence, public schools do not depend on HS sports to pay the bills and keep the lights on. If they do, thats a horrible model and needs to be re-examined. HS sports are extra-curricular. I love watching football and soccer, and I will be bummed - - but my life will go on and so will the lives of every student athlete who may not get to play a sport.

So aside from inconvenience and being disappointed, why is this such a horribly bad awful thing? HS sports, in the grand scheme of public education, when it comes down to actually EDUCATING kids, is pretty near the bottom of the list.

So what actually happens if we dont have HS fall sports this year? I know we'll have a lot of disappointed kids, but disappointments happen. Financially, there should be no consequence, public schools do not depend on HS sports to pay the bills and keep the lights on. If they do, thats a horrible model and needs to be re-examined. HS sports are extra-curricular. I love watching football and soccer, and I will be bummed - - but my life will go on and so will the lives of every student athlete who may not get to play a sport.

So aside from inconvenience and being disappointed, why is this such a horribly bad awful thing? HS sports, in the grand scheme of public education, when it comes down to actually EDUCATING kids, is pretty near the bottom of the list.

I apply the same logic to school. Opening up schools is more risky than sports. Especially when you consider the older teachers who are more vulnerable to death. There is no need for kids to be back in the classroom when they can do it online. Until there is a cure, just close the schools even if it takes another 16 months. We can't put kids back on school buses, in the cafeteria, into classrooms. Just not possible.

Society can readjust, I am going to advocate the shutting down of schools this fall, winter and spring. We can see where we are next summer. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
I agree. I don't think schools should even try to open on time. Especially not haphazardly. Even a fatality rate of .5% to .7% is too much of a risk. How many dead kids is an "okay amount" to risk it?

Last edited:
I apply the same logic to school. Opening up schools is more risky than sports. Especially when you consider the older teachers who are more vulnerable to death. There is no need for kids to be back in the classroom when they can do it online. Until there is a cure, just close the schools even if it takes another 16 months. We can't put kids back on school buses, in the cafeteria, into classrooms. Just not possible.

Society can readjust, I am going to advocate the shutting down of schools this fall, winter and spring. We can see where we are next summer. Better safe than sorry.

First sensible thing you've said on this entire post...

I agree. I don't think schools should even try to open on time. Especially not haphazardly. Even a fatality rate of .5% to .7% is too much of a risk. How many dead kids is an "okay amount" to risk it?

Didn't fact check the post but if true that's a whole hell of a lot of kids this administration and others are willing to sacrifice for the sake of corporate profits..

Schools not opening on time? Awwww dude, no school for at least another 16 months. Sports can start in 2022 maybe. As long as somebody could die we can't do any of it.

Then of course my cousin works at Lowes. He wants to know why he has to be there and teachers/students don't. He has to understand that his life just isn't as important since he only makes minimum wage and people need stuff.

Airlines should have been shut down back in February. The fact you can still fly somewhere is ridiculous. Don't people know how COVID got out of Wuhan to begin with.

And you know how harsh I have been on liquor stores. Those are not essential in the least. They need closed immediately if not sooner. Neither is my lemonade. I'm good with the government just paying me the same salary to stay home until there is a cure or until zero people have this virus.

Didn't fact check the post but if true that's a whole hell of a lot of kids this administration and others are willing to sacrifice for the sake of corporate profits..

YES! I feel so bad for Europe. So many kids are going to die there.

I have thought about this a long time. What is "essential"? The guy taking your money for gasoline is very essential. But I at least agree now that teachers are not essential. Not in the least when learning can just be done online. I feel really bad for health care workers. More than 75% of them don't need to risk their life to pop a pimple or read your chart. Do it online.

Last edited:
I turn on ESPN today for the first time in a long time and THEY HAVE ITALIAN SOCCER games on! WTF? They led the world in COVID deaths. This is an outrage. Don't they know people can die from this?

YES! I feel so bad for Europe. So many kids are going to die there.

I have thought about this a long time. What is "essential"? The guy taking your money for gasoline is very essential. But I at least agree now that teachers are not essential. Not in the least when learning can just be done online. I feel really bad for health care workers. More than 75% of them don't need to risk their life to pop a pimple or read your chart. Do it online.

One can dream.... if the schools fail to completely open... that is, no online at all... The feds could issue every student a private voucher via the money that each school district gets from the federal government. Starve the Trotskyites. We could have a positive revolution of new private schools where students actually show up and learn.

I turn on ESPN today for the first time in a long time and THEY HAVE ITALIAN SOCCER games on! WTF? They led the world in COVID deaths. This is an outrage. Don't they know people can die from this?

At least the stadiums are empty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT