ADVERTISEMENT

FH, Catoctin scrimmage

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
For those that don't know me...I type super fast and get winded on the computer keyboard. Here we go...

FH scrimmaged Catoctin last night at Middletown HS field as the Catoctin field was not ready yet after putting down new turf.

So many people are asking for a breakdown of the scrimmage. Personally, I have to be very careful when I try to offer my opinion in a public forum. I have found through experience that it's not a good policy by me to share all things I see or hear. Things that can take away competitive advantages the coaches are trying to accomplish. The difficulty in helping out any way I can while also being a fan requires some restraint and experienced wisdom on my end. It's also important to realize we are dealing with young men. Bring critical of their field play is not what I want to be about. So I will try to stick with positive takes when it comes to individual accomplishments.

Last night the varsity got three quarters of play and the JV got about 2 quarters of play afterwards. If someone wanted to keep tabs on the varsity scoreboard it was 14-12 FH at the half. The third quarter with mostly all subs by both teams was like 14-0 FH if I recall correctly. Don't quote me on that third quarter score.

THE GOOD
If I were to give an outstanding offensive player award from last night, junior fullback Nick Willison gets it. He doubles time with fellow junior Jabril Daniels at this spot and the Sentinels now have a healthy duo of quality fullbacks. Willison hit the hole hard and fast, many carries ripping off 20 and 30 yard runs.

Steven Spencer could be the team's leading tackler from his linebacker spot and is likely to be a presence in the offensive backfield. He has cautiously been held out of both scrimmages with a minor ankle sprain. He should be good to go here real soon so that's great news for the senior ball hawk. Also, I have not seen any other significant injuries through both FH scrimmages. So that is good news as well.

The surprise last night was FH frequently throwing the ball with multiple quarterbacks, something like 10 or so passes in the first half alone. This is a new concept after 85 years of ground and pound. I know coaches want to throw the ball more, so you have to applaud their perseverance in doing so through the scrimmages. And all of the passing formations are predominately out of base wing-T formations, not the spread where you tip your passing hand. However, a FH passing game won't happen overnight. There have been positives and negatives in the process. First and 10, incomplete. Now you are behind on the chains. Second and 6, incomplete. Now you are third and long. There has been some success passing as well. Two or three of the FH touchdowns thus far in 2023 scrimmaging has been 30-40 yard TD receptions. Most of them to halfback speedster Tristan Ross. When FH wants to go ground-and-pound they are capable.

The offensive line has quality size and strength. If they stay healthy, they will carry this team far. I've even been satisfied to a degree with the pass blocking thus far.

FH used four quarterbacks at the Quad regularly. Last night they rotated three quarterbacks, changing with each possession. Is there a clear cut starter? I can't answer that. The three quarterbacks are seniors Brown and Carney with the junior Cassell. They have all had chances to throw the ball. Based on the large amount of player rotations at many, many positions on both sides of the ball, it has been difficult to put a finger on where FH stands as a team. They are trying many new things, with many new faces while trying to keep their longtime wing-T ground identity. I like it, but once again the changes won't happen overnight. Expect some struggles in the process.

On the flip side the big concern (as expected since December when the likes of Palmisano, Allen and Willis graduated off the roster) is in the secondary. New and very young faces everywhere. Catoctin scored twice last night. Both 50-70 yard aerial bombs into one-on-one coverage. It will continue to be a huge concern until coaches can find the chemistry and faces they want to utilize. I will say that by the second quarter FH had shifted to a two-deep safety cover and that really seemed to pick the defense up while taking away the deep ball. There was a good interception last night by junior corner Gamil Daniels. I'm not sure if he realizes it but he can play at the next level if he so wishes...natural cover instincts and athleticism. The defensive front is going to rack up a ton of sacks this year due to their strength and quickness. And they are going to need them to equalize a completely inexperienced secondary.

As for Carter Hess, not much more can be said of the now senior. Every game count on at least several plays where an opposing player is doing the Backside Superman...that is flying through the air facing the sky after being hit or tossed by the big man. It's like watching something out of a 1970's politically incorrect cartoon.

YOUTH MOVEMENT
I have seen a large array of underclassmen being plugged into the varsity lineup. Counting the roster, seven frosh and sophomores are currently on the varsity and all are contributing more than usual. I suspect that number will rise as the season progresses with more being brought up. I don't think this is solely a case of lacking veterans, but also much of a case as the quality that these frosh and sophomores bring to the table. In two years this team is going to be very stout. On that note, the JV scrimmaged for the first time last night after the varsity was done. They have fifty+ kids in uniform despite the seven players moved to varsity. And they still looked really good with size and tons of speed options. Gotta love seeing this. Again, I suspect a few more frosh and sophs will see time on the varsity level before the season is over. The JV starters pretty much laid the wood on Catoctin. On that note, the JV have just picked up another scrimmage this coming Monday, August 28 at Urbana before they begin opening play against Musselman the Tuesday after Labor Day. I never liked opening with a WV team as they already have a real game under their belt and an extra two weeks of practice. I thought the Urbana last minute scrimmage addition will be beneficial.

Going to be an interesting season, a youth movement on many units, especially at the skill spots. Keep any eye on new faces like sophomore Braelyn Younger, a very shifty ball carrier who is also in the starting secondary. Fellow sophomore Noah House is a big contributor on both sides as is frosh Carson Bender. These guys were brought up for a reason, they can ball. My personal observation on big #77 part II (and I'm not talking about Carter Hess) is freshman Ryder Canan. He too wears #77 on the JV squad. Big, big powerful lineman. Once he gets the nuances of football and the playbook down he is built to be a beast. He did see some varsity action at the Quad. A one-on-one board drill nightmare.

Catoctin will entertain Mountain Ridge on a Thursday night of Week 2. While I don't believe this 2023 Catoctin version is remotely close to that of the 2019 state champion version, they look like the best squad out of Thurmont since COVID ended football. They spread and throw with a QB who can toss nice touch pass spirals. They have some decent size and much better explosion compared to the 3-17 record posted the last two seasons. However, the Catoctin schedule is very difficult.

Time to focus on Northern for Week 1, a game that will be played on Saturday of Labor Day weekend as Allegany has the Greenway Ave field that Friday night. Both the Huskies head coach Phil Carr and the FH head coach tried this off-season to get this game moved to the Thursday before so all families could enjoy the Labor Day weekend. But in typical MPSSAA fashion, NO, the first play date has to be Friday.

Here's looking forward to talking more football the next three months or more. Peace!

Last edited:
Thank Todd. We appreciate you. I have a feeling that second game against Coolidge is going to be a doozy.

Reactions: ravemwp
For those that don't know me...I type super fast and get winded on the computer keyboard. Here we go...

FH scrimmaged Catoctin last night at Middletown HS field as the Catoctin field was not ready yet after putting down new turf.

So many people are asking for a breakdown of the scrimmage. Personally, I have to be very careful when I try to offer my opinion in a public forum. I have found through experience that it's not a good policy by me to share all things I see or hear. Things that can take away competitive advantages the coaches are trying to accomplish. The difficulty in helping out any way I can while also being a fan requires some restraint and experienced wisdom on my end. It's also important to realize we are dealing with young men. Bring critical of their field play is not what I want to be about. So I will try to stick with positive takes when it comes to individual accomplishments.

Last night the varsity got three quarters of play and the JV got about 2 quarters of play afterwards. If someone wanted to keep tabs on the varsity scoreboard it was 14-12 FH at the half. The third quarter with mostly all subs by both teams was like 14-0 FH if I recall correctly. Don't quote me on that third quarter score.

THE GOOD
If I were to give an outstanding offensive player award from last night, junior fullback Nick Willison gets it. He doubles time with fellow junior Jabril Daniels at this spot and the Sentinels now have a healthy duo of quality fullbacks. Willison hit the hole hard and fast, many carries ripping off 20 and 30 yard runs.

Steven Spencer could be the team's leading tackler from his linebacker spot and is likely to be a presence in the offensive backfield. He has cautiously been held out of both scrimmages with a minor ankle sprain. He should be good to go here real soon so that's great news for the senior ball hawk. Also, I have not seen any other significant injuries through both FH scrimmages. So that is good news as well.

The surprise last night was FH frequently throwing the ball with multiple quarterbacks, something like 10 or so passes in the first half alone. This is a new concept after 85 years of ground and pound. I know coaches want to throw the ball more, so you have to applaud their perseverance in doing so through the scrimmages. And all of the passing formations are predominately out of base wing-T formations, not the spread where you tip your passing hand. However, a FH passing game won't happen overnight. There have been positives and negatives in the process. First and 10, incomplete. Now you are behind on the chains. Second and 6, incomplete. Now you are third and long. There has been some success passing as well. Two or three of the FH touchdowns thus far in 2023 scrimmaging has been 30-40 yard TD receptions. Most of them to halfback speedster Tristan Ross. When FH wants to go ground-and-pound they are capable.

The offensive line has quality size and strength. If they stay healthy, they will carry this team far. I've even been satisfied to a degree with the pass blocking thus far.

FH used four quarterbacks at the Quad regularly. Last night they rotated three quarterbacks, changing with each possession. Is there a clear cut starter? I can't answer that. The three quarterbacks are seniors Brown and Carney with the junior Cassell. They have all had chances to throw the ball. Based on the large amount of player rotations at many, many positions on both sides of the ball, it has been difficult to put a finger on where FH stands as a team. They are trying many new things, with many new faces while trying to keep their longtime wing-T ground identity. I like it, but once again the changes won't happen overnight. Expect some struggles in the process.

On the flip side the big concern (as expected since December when the likes of Palmisano, Allen and Willis graduated off the roster) is in the secondary. New and very young faces everywhere. Catoctin scored twice last night. Both 50-70 yard aerial bombs into one-on-one coverage. It will continue to be a huge concern until coaches can find the chemistry and faces they want to utilize. I will say that by the second quarter FH had shifted to a two-deep safety cover and that really seemed to pick the defense up while taking away the deep ball. There was a good interception last night by junior corner Gamil Daniels. I'm not sure if he realizes it but he can play at the next level if he so wishes...natural cover instincts and athleticism. The defensive front is going to rack up a ton of sacks this year due to their strength and quickness. And they are going to need them to equalize a completely inexperienced secondary.

As for Carter Hess, not much more can be said of the now senior. Every game count on at least several plays where an opposing player is doing the Backside Superman...that is flying through the air facing the sky after being hit or tossed by the big man. It's like watching something out of a 1970's politically incorrect cartoon.

YOUTH MOVEMENT
I have seen a large array of underclassmen being plugged into the varsity lineup. Counting the roster, seven frosh and sophomores are currently on the varsity and all are contributing more than usual. I suspect that number will rise as the season progresses with more being brought up. I don't think this is solely a case of lacking veterans, but also much of a case as the quality that these frosh and sophomores bring to the table. In two years this team is going to be very stout. On that note, the JV scrimmaged for the first time last night after the varsity was done. They have fifty+ kids in uniform despite the seven players moved to varsity. And they still looked really good with size and tons of speed options. Gotta love seeing this. Again, I suspect a few more frosh and sophs will see time on the varsity level before the season is over. The JV starters pretty much laid the wood on Catoctin. On that note, the JV have just picked up another scrimmage this coming Monday, August 28 at Urbana before they begin opening play against Musselman the Tuesday after Labor Day. I never liked opening with a WV team as they already have a real game under their belt and an extra two weeks of practice. I thought the Urbana last minute scrimmage addition will be beneficial.

Going to be an interesting season, a youth movement on many units, especially at the skill spots. Keep any eye on new faces like sophomore Braelyn Younger, a very shifty ball carrier who is also in the starting secondary. Fellow sophomore Noah House is a big contributor on both sides as is frosh Carson Bender. These guys were brought up for a reason, they can ball. My personal observation on big #77 part II (and I'm not talking about Carter Hess) is freshman Ryder Canan. He too wears #77 on the JV squad. Big, big powerful lineman. Once he gets the nuances of football and the playbook down he is built to be a beast. He did see some varsity action at the Quad. A one-on-one board drill nightmare.

Catoctin will entertain Mountain Ridge on a Thursday night of Week 2. While I don't believe this 2023 Catoctin version is remotely close to that of the 2019 state champion version, they look like the best squad out of Thurmont since COVID ended football. They spread and throw with a QB who can toss nice touch pass spirals. They have some decent size and much better explosion compared to the 3-17 record posted the last two seasons. However, the Catoctin schedule is very difficult.

Time to focus on Northern for Week 1, a game that will be played on Saturday of Labor Day weekend as Allegany has the Greenway Ave field that Friday night. Both the Huskies head coach Phil Carr and the FH head coach tried this off-season to get this game moved to the Thursday before so all families could enjoy the Labor Day weekend. But in typical MPSSAA fashion, NO, the first play date has to be Friday.

Here's looking forward to talking more football the next three months or more. Peace!
I didn't see last nights scrimmage. Thanks for the info, I also saw lots of what you talked about attending the Quad. Especially Ross catching the ball out of the backfield, and the Bender kid flashing both on offense and defense running with the 2s. I would have liked to hear that House got more reps at QB yesterday. I know he is the youngest of the four, but might be the overall most talented. It's good to have deep depth. Did Perkins dress. I really felt the defense missed both his and Spencer's experience at the quad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT