ADVERTISEMENT

Riverdale Baptist

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
This was just shared with me. Rock Creek Christian has folded. A good chunk of their top players (D1 offers) have transferred to Riverdale Baptist. That's the roll of the dice picking up private schools. Once again FH will play one of the toughest schedules in a 100 mile radius.

Just search Riverdale Baptist on Twitter X.

Last edited:
Spring practice has been underway at Riverdale Baptist. Not sure if playing this team is the right decision as they have drifted miles from public school regulation.

GKSTifgWYAAZuPm

Reactions: ravemwp
Spring practice has been underway at Riverdale Baptist. Not sure if playing this team is the right decision as they have drifted miles from public school regulation.

GKSTifgWYAAZuPm
Any options contractually, seems the school has changed it's program some since the agreed contract.

2024 RIVERDALE BAPTIST TRANSFER LIST (16 new players)
Only 3 were on the team last year after transferring in from DeMatha, St. John's and Wise.
There are other transfers I have missed as well in addition to what was already on the roster.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WR/CB Giyahni Kontosis - Sr (6'1, 194) *** --- 2023 Team = Rock Creek Christian
COLLEGE OFFERS: Michigan State, Oregon, Tennessee, Maryland, South Carolina, West Virginia, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, (more)

WR Jayden Kitchens - Jr (6'3, 191) --- 2023 Team = Rock Creek Christian
COLLEGE OFFERS: South Carolina, Wisconsin, Boston College, Tennessee, Oregon, Pitt, Syracuse, Maryland, Minnesota, (more)

DE Ezekiel Kavege - Sr (6'3, 235) --- 2023 Team = Quince Orchard
COLLEGE OFFERS: Marshall

LB Christian Idoma - Sr (6'1, 225) --- 2023 Team = Northwest
COLLEGE OFFERS: Morehead State

WR Emmanuel Dyson - Sr (6'2, 197) **** --- 2023 Team = DeMatha
COLLEGE OFFERS: Maryland (COMMITTED), UCF, California, Virginia Tech

CB Jackson Small - Sr (6'0, 185) --- 2023 Team = Rock Creek Christian
COLLEGE OFFERS: East Carolina, Temple, Memphis, Boston College

DT Nahsir Taylor - Sr (6'3, 272) *** --- 2023 Team = Rock Creek Christian
COLLEGE OFFERS: Notre Dame, Oregon, Penn State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Maryland, (more)

DE Marcus Ogbogu - Jr (6'3, 220) --- 2023 Team = St. John's-DC
COLLEGE OFFERS: Maryland, Charlotte, Toledo

DE Cortez Harris - Sr (6'4, 230) **** --- 2023 Team = Riverdale Baptist / DeMatha (2022)
COLLEGE OFFERS: Alabama, Georgia, Maryland, Michigan, (more)

OL/DL Jayvon McFadden - Sr (6'5, 315) **** --- 2023 Team = Riverdale Baptist / St. John's-DC (2022)
COLLEGE OFFERS: Colorado, Florida, Georgia Tech, Maryland, MIami, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas A&M, (more)

DT Jacari Gatling - Sr (6'4, 292) --- 2023 Team = Rock Creek Christian
COLLEGE OFFERS: Memphis, Marshall, West Virginia

DT Aiden Burgess - Sr (6'3, 285) --- 2023 Team = Quince Orchard
COLLEGE OFFERS: Memphis, Marshall, Temple

DE Richard-Jahzyne Denny - Sr (6'4, 230) --- 2023 Team = Einstein
COLLEGE OFFERS: Army (COMMITTED)

TE/DE DJ McWilliams - Sr (6'3, 245) --- 2023 Team = Riverdale Baptist / Wise (2022)
COLLEGE OFFERS: ???

DT Elijah Botchway - Sr (6'1, 277) --- 2023 Team = C.H. Flowers

DT Xavier Kennedy - Sr (6'1, 320) --- 2023 Team = Rock Creek Christian

Last edited:
Man y'all sound like a bunch of 😺's...
Sometimes its not about being afraid. St. Francis in Baltimore had the same problem with the MIAA. It becomes a safety issue, 180-220 pound OL/DL getting pounded for 48 minutes by 280-340 OL/DL. Not safe for the players. Im sure the players will want to play, but sometimes its the coaching staff, and the administrations responsability to protect the kids from themselves. Just my opinion. BTW when St. Francis first changed their program, regular high schools that did play them, gained nothing and had their season ruined by losing multiple players to season ending injuries. The MIAA determined that most of the injuries were just size related. Think what you will.

Sometimes its not about being afraid. St. Francis in Baltimore had the same problem with the MIAA. It becomes a safety issue, 180-220 pound OL/DL getting pounded for 48 minutes by 280-340 OL/DL. Not safe for the players. Im sure the players will want to play, but sometimes its the coaching staff, and the administrations responsability to protect the kids from themselves. Just my opinion. BTW when St. Francis first changed their program, regular high schools that did play them, gained nothing and had their season ruined by losing multiple players to season ending injuries. The MIAA determined that most of the injuries were just size related. Think what you will.
Nice attempt to appeal to the extreme.. But Riverdale Baptist is no St Frances. If you're scared get a dog or stay home. Since when has it become fashionable to shy away from a challenge and never test yourself or your program??? People today are always looking for the easy out. It's crazy to schedule a game then have the parents, coaches, staff and even fans exude fear. Players feed off of positive and negative energy. What if the players read this board and they see all comments where the posters are pissing down their leg? I would hate to have any of yall lead me into battle. You've done psyched yourself out and put yourself in a loser mindset before the blow of the whistle. Tell the kids that Riverdale Baptist puts their pants on just like them and bleeds red just like them. Strap it up, leave it on the field and your confident they'll come home with a victory!! Second guessing yourselves is not helpful..

Reactions: Harleydeuce
Firstly not trying to appeal to anything. This is not the same Riverdale team that FH scheduled. Secondly I'm not even a FH graduate, but do know that these kids are not afraid of anyone. Third I was living in Baltimore when St. Francis converted their program. I saw the devastation live and in person. They just beat the brakes off of the other private schools in the Baltimore/ DC area. Again its not about being afraid, its about what does my team gain in playing a game like this. No problem playing a pretty good Riverdale team that they scheduled. This is not the same team they scheduled. My guess is that FH wouldn't have scheduled this Riverdale team as its currently constructed. Maybe Todd Helmick has the real answer. Again think what you will.

Firstly not trying to appeal to anything. This is not the same Riverdale team that FH scheduled. Secondly I'm not even a FH graduate, but do know that these kids are not afraid of anyone. Third I was living in Baltimore when St. Francis converted their program. I saw the devastation live and in person. They just beat the brakes off of the other private schools in the Baltimore/ DC area. Again its not about being afraid, its about what does my team gain in playing a game like this. No problem playing a pretty good Riverdale team that they scheduled. This is not the same team they scheduled. My guess is that FH wouldn't have scheduled this Riverdale team as its currently constructed. Maybe Todd Helmick has the real answer. Again think what you will.
Once again Riverdale Baptist is nowhere near the St Francis team you speak of.. Fort Hill played DeMatha in 96. It was a pretty competitive game with NO injuries, and Riverdale Baptist as a program is nowhere near DeMatha. If you're going to schedule the team nut up, shut up, put up and play the game like warrior poets. Don't come on here and try and create cover or excuses for a potential loss. Or act like some weak tea sipping soy boy looking for ways to get out playing the game

"what does my team gain in playing a game like this"

You gain legendary status. No one remembers a green street academy victory but everyone remembers the time David conquered Goliath.

Once again Riverdale Baptist is nowhere near the St Francis team you speak of.. Fort Hill played DeMatha in 96. It was a pretty competitive game with NO injuries, and Riverdale Baptist as a program is nowhere near DeMatha. If you're going to schedule the team nut up, shut up, put up and play the game like warrior poets. Don't come on here and try and create cover or excuses for a potential loss. Or act like some weak tea sipping soy boy looking for ways to get out playing the game

"what does my team gain in playing a game like this"

You gain legendary status. No one remembers a green street academy victory but everyone remembers the time David conquered Goliath.
So then you would be in agreement that all of the area schools should have kept the Bishop Walsh Elite basketball program on their schedules. At least we agree on something. I must disagree until I see them play, if Riverdale transfers are what they claim to be. The returning players that they have coming back, I believe they can compete against the St. Francis and Good Counsels of the world. We will find out Riverdale v OLOGC on 9/13. BTW we probably are not as different as you think we are. I don't necessarily think FH shouldn't play this game, my argument is that this is not the same team that FH signed up to play, so limit expectations. Again not a FH grad or fan, they don't back down from anyone. Also I am not about the sissification of sports, but at this level tremendous size differences in multiples does become a safety issue. In general I don't necessarily disagree with your comments, but you seem very bitter and angry about it. Then again maybe I'm just misreading it, and its just your passion coming out.

Last edited:
So then you would be in agreement that all of the area schools should have kept the Bishop Walsh Elite basketball program on their schedules. At least we agree on something. I must disagree until I see them play, if Riverdale transfers are what they claim to be. The returning players that they have coming back, I believe they can compete against the St. Francis and Good Counsels of the world. We will find out Riverdale v OLOGC on 9/13. BTW we probably are not as different as you think we are. I don't necessarily think FH shouldn't play this game, my argument is that this is not the same team that FH signed up to play, so limit expectations. Again not a FH grad or fan, they don't back down from anyone. Also I am not about the sissification of sports, but at this level tremendous size differences in multiples does become a safety issue. In general I don't necessarily disagree with your comments, but you seem very bitter and angry about it. Then again maybe I'm just misreading it, and its just your passion coming out.
The concern over safety issues is not part of the equation for any one game. However, the weekly grindstone can be a health concern when you only have 26 juniors and seniors with a loaded schedule. FH dealt with it last year too and stayed very lucky on the injury front.

I was more put off by the fact another opponent is in a month of spring ball. In other words, the rules are far apart. It's a major uneven field advantage. On top of that, I'm not a fan of any private school with an enrollment of 137 students grades 9-12 who brings in 20 D1 offered football transfers from a DMV metro center in one off-season strictly just to play one sport. All while having their yearly tuition waived. Much like BW basketball was doing. Actually, I will rephrase that...I have no problem they do this, but I'm not interested in seeing teams who don't operate under those rules play against them. Martinsburg doesn't play these type of private schools either for a reason.

I'm not sure why Washington and Frederick County won't play FH. I guess they have nothing to gain.

Reactions: ravemwp
The concern over safety issues is not part of the equation for any one game. However, the weekly grindstone can be a health concern when you only have 26 juniors and seniors with a loaded schedule. FH dealt with it last year too and stayed very lucky on the injury front.

I was more put off by the fact another opponent is in a month of spring ball. In other words, the rules are far apart. It's a major uneven field advantage. On top of that, I'm not a fan of any private school with an enrollment of 137 students grades 9-12 who brings in 20 D1 offered football transfers from a DMV metro center in one off-season strictly just to play one sport. All while having their yearly tuition waived. Much like BW basketball was doing. Actually, I will rephrase that...I have no problem they do this, but I'm not interested in seeing teams who don't operate under those rules play against them. Martinsburg doesn't play these type of private schools either for a reason.

I'm not sure why Washington and Frederick County won't play FH. I guess they have nothing to gain.
I agree with you that the weekly grind is more of a concern and presents a greater probability of injury than any one game. My question is, were these rules or lack thereof and the ability to "recruit 20 D1 transfers" in place when this team was scheduled? If so, then the parties involved knew what they were getting into. So I really don't understand the problem.. Maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited:

I guess my real question is, I know you work with the FH schedule. Would have considered scheduling Riverdale under the current construction of their roster and program, or have looked elsewhere for a game. My opinion is that when you scheduled them it was a good fit for the FH.

There are other issues at stake that go beyond a sudden dramatic talent influx that I cannot get into at this point. Let's just say when Rock Creek Christian closed it opened up a whole new can of worms.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT