ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite homecoming game?

'79 - Denny Hockman to Joe Powell. Perfect two minute drill. Allegany roars back with under a minute left, but fumbles around Fort Hill's 10.

'94 - Shannon Trimble vs Michael Fields. Both undefeated and ranked in the top 10 in the Maryland state poll. 14,000 see FH win a game in which they didn't complete a pass.

Yes the 79 game was a great one! Denny Hockman ran the ball behind Kevin Jones for the winning touchdown! Unfortunately the next week they lost to Skeeter Nichols at Cambridge south Dorchestor.

Reactions: PowerRamRight
I really enjoyed the 84 game when Fort Hill upset undefeated Alco 14-12.
That was the first time in four years that Fort Hill managed to defeat Allegany. My entire time at Fort Hill and we never won homecoming.

I was a senior on the FH team in that 1984 Homecoming Game. There isn't a Homecoming that goes by where someone doesn't talk about it or ask about. It has to be the biggest upset in the Homecoming series. Alco had won an area record 24 straight games going in and was the defending state champ. That win record stood for 30 years until Coach Appel's FH teams broke it. Alco had beaten FH four straight years prior to that day and FH was coming in with a 6-3 record having lost 3 of their last 4 games. It was also the last game for legendary head coach Jim Refosco.

FH (Class 3A) went to the playoffs, Alco (Class 2A) did not. Back then they only took four teams to the playoffs. You had to win the region to make the post season. To think they complained when 16 teams made the playoffs not long ago.

1980 Homecoming game. 13-10 Alco in OT. The famous Refosco speech, "Are you mice or men" when he challenged the offensive line on 4th and goal at the 2 in OT. Alco line was the strength of the team that year. They went 12-0 and won state title. They were known as the Cardiac Campers as they won 3 OT games that year against Martinsburg, Keyser and FH.

My most memorable has to be the 94 game. I was working in Hagerstown and my son was born on the 26th of October. Wanting to be the good Dad, I gave my tickets away to some friends at work and planned to stay home. That morning my wife said that I didn't have to stay home and that she and D J would be alright. That was all she had to say as I was out the door, and yes, I bought another ticket and stood four deep on the visitor's side. When I got home, she was mad as a wet hen and reminding her that she said it was ok just made it worse. The good news is that she only stayed mad for a couple of weeks and hey, we are still married! But I do have to hear her version of this story every homecoming. (It was still worth it!)

1980 Homecoming game. 13-10 Alco in OT. The famous Refosco speech, "Are you mice or men" when he challenged the offensive line on 4th and goal at the 2 in OT. Alco line was the strength of the team that year. They went 12-0 and won state title. They were known as the Cardiac Campers as they won 3 OT games that year against Martinsburg, Keyser and FH.
What year was it Alco won the state title and were referred to as the Mighty Midgets? I think it was the 1978 first title.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
'79 - Denny Hockman to Joe Powell. Perfect two minute drill. Allegany roars back with under a minute left, but fumbles around Fort Hill's 10.

'94 - Shannon Trimble vs Michael Fields. Both undefeated and ranked in the top 10 in the Maryland state poll. 14,000 see FH win a game in which they didn't complete a pass.

That 94 game was one of the best atmospheres in the history of the game.

As an Alco guy, I always liked the '99 matchup as well, where FH was winning pretty late in the game and for some crazy reason, decided to throw a pass that we tipped and intercepted. 2 big passes to Dan Shanholtz won it for us in the last minute or so.

chaney takes alot of heat but lets look at his HC history
1979-he won
*1980- lost 13-10 in ot earlier td got called back
1981-lost 14-7
1982- lost 6-2 but blake got in on 3rd down
*1983- lost 6-0
looks to me that chaney prepared well for refosco in his tenure at fh
*denotes alco state championship teams

Todd, remember the playoff game in the mud at greenway against Queen Ann’s?
What a great performance by Jeff Shambaugh ! I think he had around 300 yards rushing that day !

By far for me was the 2007 games as in plural. At homecoming Fort Hill wins Homecoming 17 - 7, the next week in the playoffs, Alco wins 35 - 14 and in front of NFL films that went nationwide. Also - it was the first time I ever saw the Fort Hill faithful leave the stands in the 3rd quarter. I haven't seen that since.

By far for me was the 2007 games as in plural. At homecoming Fort Hill wins Homecoming 17 - 7, the next week in the playoffs, Alco wins 35 - 14 and in front of NFL films that went nationwide. Also - it was the first time I ever saw the Fort Hill faithful leave the stands in the 3rd quarter. I haven't seen that since.
That was 2009.

Yup 2007 was nfl films and 2006 was a alco beat down 56-7 or something like that coach shook was on that 2006 team with drew yurko 2007 was the last year alco had the kettle

My most memorable has to be the 94 game. I was working in Hagerstown and my son was born on the 26th of October. Wanting to be the good Dad, I gave my tickets away to some friends at work and planned to stay home. That morning my wife said that I didn't have to stay home and that she and D J would be alright. That was all she had to say as I was out the door, and yes, I bought another ticket and stood four deep on the visitor's side. When I got home, she was mad as a wet hen and reminding her that she said it was ok just made it worse. The good news is that she only stayed mad for a couple of weeks and hey, we are still married! But I do have to hear her version of this story every homecoming. (It was still worth it!)
great story🤣

I was at both. You could not ask for two better FH- Alco games.

chaney takes alot of heat but lets look at his HC history
1979-he won
*1980- lost 13-10 in ot earlier td got called back
1981-lost 14-7
1982- lost 6-2 but blake got in on 3rd down
*1983- lost 6-0
looks to me that chaney prepared well for refosco in his tenure at fh
*denotes alco state championship teams
I remember someone spray painting the following on the concrete outside the front gym entrance after the 6-0 loss:

“No City, No State, get rid of Chaney before it’s too late”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT