ADVERTISEMENT

Lackey next

Argox66

All State Poster
Oct 30, 2017
OK, Lackey beat Douglass yesterday. What's the story on these guys, and with the lackluster play the Sentinels displayed on the field last night, do they really have a shot at beating them?

OK, Lackey beat Douglass yesterday. What's the story on these guys, and with the lackluster play the Sentinels displayed on the field last night, do they really have a shot at beating them?
Imagine Allegany's #4 at qb, that is what Lackey appers to be. If you don't stop him you aren't stopping them and you get into a shootout.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
The fact they beat Douglas PG doesn't bode well for big red. I was certain Douglas was going to be crowned this year. Heck, the way Alco played FH last night makes me really worried about Dunbar, now, too.

I share your thoughts. However, I think the blowout from two weeks ago fooled everybody into forgetting about MCC and FCA. They both showed fh is vulnerable and beatable. Allegany is the ONLY team to beat Dunbar all year. They have blown out almost everybody on their schedule. They played angry and like they had nothing to lose. That is a team that is really tough to beat, but we came out on top.
The concern with Lackey is their qb reminds me of Allegany's #4 running the wildcat, and you saw what a joke it was defending that. If we can't adjust to a big tough running qb they will score a lot of points. They haven't given up a lot of points this year but it's a pretty safe bet they haven't seen fh's style of the wing-t.

Last edited:
Aint over til that final whistle blows , come on Towpath, you of all people should know that!

guys I want nothing more than to be wrong. I just see the size (that moves well) that gave FH fits in DC. That QB looks to be a load to bring down as well. I picked against the big red machine that week as well.

Lackey run defense did not fare well against Douglass. Not a good concept for visiting Greenway. I see size but not team speed like Friendship possessed. But Lackey is likely the best semifinal opponent FH has seen in the last 5 years. Both teams have good offensive firepower. Neither team throws the ball very much. Whichever defense shows up wins.

LINK: Lackey rallies to beat Douglass

Last edited:
lets just hope if FH finds themselves not able to run the ball they don't stay one dimensional. As if they are beating their head against a wall...
Something else that might help - when you figure out somebody is the best player, don't run at him, especially on fourth and one in your own territory.

Reactions: bigsavage
Something else that might help - when you figure out somebody is the best player, don't run at him, especially on fourth and one in your own territory.

Did you see the play? #4 came clean on what looked like an A gap blitz. The o-line did not make the proper call to come down on him or they thought maybe they had a lead back that would pick it up. If someone just was able to chip #4 that play could have went for 20 yards. Allegany’s defense was playing well, better than they did in Homecoming across the board. #4 was in the middle often so I am not sure how you run away from him unless you run wide, and wide didn’t work as it normally does for the Sentinels. If the facemask was not grabbed #5 for FH would have bulldozed #4 for the first down on the short yardage play. #4 flew in quick and was standing almost straight up and had to reach out and grab #5. It just happened to be his facemask. The play call was fine, it was blown assignments and a good initial play by #4 for Alco.

Did you see the play? #4 came clean on what looked like an A gap blitz. The o-line did not make the proper call to come down on him or they thought maybe they had a lead back that would pick it up. If someone just was able to chip #4 that play could have went for 20 yards. Allegany’s defense was playing well, better than they did in Homecoming across the board. #4 was in the middle often so I am not sure how you run away from him unless you run wide, and wide didn’t work as it normally does for the Sentinels. If the facemask was not grabbed #5 for FH would have bulldozed #4 for the first down on the short yardage play. #4 flew in quick and was standing almost straight up and had to reach out and grab #5. It just happened to be his facemask. The play call was fine, it was blown assignments and a good initial play by #4 for Alco.
I get your point, but my point is how can you leave that kind of player unblocked? Whatever play you are going to call you have to have the right blocking assignments or it doesn't matter where he lines up. Somebody has to have him on every play or he wreaks havoc...he's just too good. You are right, somebody blew it!

I think FH will be just fine. Come out and play FH football.. I do think they need to throw the ball more. That QB has some deadly accuracy and he can pull it down and run if needed.. I think ppl are concerned because of the close game with Alco but they are forgetting Allegany has a very good football team. They were probably the best team FH will face this yr. Alco has experience playing FH..Lackey won't know what hit them. The sentinels will get the job done..

The difference will.be the attitude coming into the game, compared to FCA. From the coaches down to the players. They were not mentally up for the FCA game. Would the that have changed the outcome? I don't know, but they will be mentally ready to go this weekend, for sure.

I think FH will be just fine. Come out and play FH football.. I do think they need to throw the ball more. That QB has some deadly accuracy and he can pull it down and run if needed.. I think ppl are concerned because of the close game with Alco but they are forgetting Allegany has a very good football team. They were probably the best team FH will face this yr. Alco has experience playing FH..Lackey won't know what hit them. The sentinels will get the job done..

FH quarterback is 11 of 15 for 231 yards and 4 touchdowns in this post season according to the newspaper. Sadly he should be 12 of 15 for 310 yards and 5 TD. Have to make that catch.

Last edited:
I get your point, but my point is how can you leave that kind of player unblocked? Whatever play you are going to call you have to have the right blocking assignments or it doesn't matter where he lines up. Somebody has to have him on every play or he wreaks havoc...he's just too good. You are right, somebody blew it!

#4 just beat the center, it's a tough pick up by the center with 4 coming at the speed he was coming

Reactions: camper21502
FH quarterback is 11 of 15 for 231 yards and 4 touchdowns in this post season according to the newspaper. Sadly he should be 12 of 15 for 310 yards and 5 TD. Have to make that catch.
I agree you have to make that catch. It would've ended the game and the ball was thrown right there. Let's hope nothing like that happens this week.

Reactions: 5punisher3
It' hard to get a true read on Lackey as 7 of their wins were against teams who posted a combined 17-53 record.

Their QB is built like a FB. On top of 788 yards passing, he has 1847 rushing yards and 31 total TDs. One of their DLs has 20 sacks on the year, and their starting OL averages 6'1, 273 lbs. Outta be a good one!

They are big on both sides of the ball. FH plays ball that wins game in the trenches. Gonna be a good one

lets just hope if FH finds themselves not able to run the ball they don't stay one dimensional. As if they are beating their head against a wall...

Lackey is a one dimensional run heavy team. Fort Hill is a one dimensional run heavy team. No way FH gets out rushed at Greenway. If Lackey can't attack the secondary with the pass I see FH winning big.

Key is going to be stopping the running quarterback and having a scheme to keep him tied up and running side to side rather than north and south. Seems he's a Tim Tebow kind a player.

Last edited:
And don't forget we have the Fort Hill Refs

You are pretty pathetic to think that the refs had anything to do with last Friday’s outcome. Another armchair ref here. Watch the replay. It was actually a very well reffed game. Plus, I am pretty sure that out of town refs come in for the semifinal games anyways. At least as far back as I can remember they have and that was in the 90s.

The refs Friday were fantastic. We rag on refs constantly so it's only fair to credit them when doing a good job. When it comes to officiating all I ask is for is consistency. If you are not going to flag one team for holding then call it both ways as such. If you aren't going to call personal fouls, just make sure you do it both ways. I'm OK with that. In fact, I prefer refs to throw as few flags as possible and then argue later about whether it was a penalty. Let the players decide it.

The refs Friday were fantastic. We rag on refs constantly so it's only fair to credit them when doing a good job. When it comes to officiating all I ask is for is consistency. If you are not going to flag one team for holding then call it both ways as such. If you aren't going to call personal fouls, just make sure you do it both ways. I'm OK with that. In fact, I prefer refs to throw as few flags as possible and then argue later about whether it was a penalty. Let the players decide it.

Consistency and impartiality is what is expected and appreciated. Agreed on letting them play.

You are pretty pathetic to think that the refs had anything to do with last Friday’s outcome. Another armchair ref here. Watch the replay. It was actually a very well reffed game. Plus, I am pretty sure that out of town refs come in for the semifinal games anyways. At least as far back as I can remember they have and that was in the 90s.
Why do u assume he's talking about Friday??? A lot of out of town ppl complain about the refs.. Mostly because they need an excuse for the butt whipping they just received..

Reactions: Waggle Pass
From today's online Washington Post:

LACKEY’S JULIAN LYONS INSPIRES TEAM AHEAD OF FORT HILL MATCHUP

Lackey’s emotional leader doesn’t wear pads anymore. He hasn’t in nearly two months, and it’s unclear when — or if — he will again.

Julian Lyons, whom Chargers Coach John Lush called the “heartbeat” of his team, has a heart condition called myocarditis. Stricken with pneumonia in early September, further tests revealed the nose tackle had the serious condition, an inflammation in the heart wall.

But every Friday, Lyons is on the Lackey sideline, rallying the Chargers as they pursue the program’s first state title since 1986. Their next step is big one: A Maryland 1A state semifinal matchup against four-time defending state champion Fort Hill.

“They’re a juggernaut,” Lush said of Fort Hill.

The Sentinels (9-1) have lost two games in the past five years, overwhelming opponents with smash-mouth football out of its Wing-T formation.

But on Oct 21., Friendship Collegiate proved Fort Hill was fallible when it handed the Sentinels a 24-6 loss. Lush attended the game and has watched the film several times since, knowing his Chargers would likely meet Fort Hill in the playoffs.

Lyon’s absence has taken a toll. His two-week stint in the intensive care unit at the University of Maryland Medical Center challenged the Chargers (8-2) emotionally, and his vacancy on the gridiron has challenged them tactically.

Senior defensive end Chris Thompson has helped fill the void, despite opposing offensive lineman keying in on him more. He’ll enter the state semifinal with 23 sacks, but before he steps on the field Friday he’ll watch Lyons go out to midfield for the coin toss.

Then the senior will return to the sideline, hyping up his teammates, aching to a contribute to a game his heart won’t let him play.

—Joshua Needelman

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT