ADVERTISEMENT

Lackey next

They have a couple of good backs that combined for close to 250 yards rushing last week. Everything goes through the QB but there’s enough there to make you pay for over focusing on him. You also need to keep track of the TE as they’ll look to hit him on quick pop plays behind the linebackers.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Lots of talk about Boogie and this Lackey offense. But I wouldnt sleep on the offense wearing red. Douglass was able to smash mouth the Lackey defense. FH will do that and then some. I see FH outscoring Lackey with better luck than Douglass had. Gotta like Sentinels at home.

I watched some of Lackeys highlights and their defensive line is pretty impressive. They were only rushing 3 lineman and still getting sacks. The QB is a real dual threat sorta like Dunbar's QB. They have some size and good team speed. I think they matchup good with FH. Not good enough to win but good enough to keep it close for awhile.This game will be won in the trenches. FH needs to win the line of scrimmage and wear them down. I don't think Lackey can handle the constant smash mouth football, they ain't use to it...

Thats a great point camper....i dont think they can handle four qtrs of physicality.....i think its close first half....then they wear down in second half

Reactions: camper21502
Agreed Camper and Bakedbean..

Lucky for us, it's always been a Cumberland tradition to lure teams into the pit of Greenway and either beat them into submission all day, or stay tough all game and beat them late by literally out-willing them. Sounds like that's what's gong to happen here tomorrow night.

It's a beautiful thing, really. Especially when all these other teams come in with handfuls of D1 kids on their rosters.

Reactions: camper21502
Re: the refs

when teams refuse to come here to play FH because of the refs...it is a problem

when an out of town coach pulls his team off the field because of the refs....it is a problem

when they take off the striped shirt and there is a "Go Big Red" tee shirt underneath...it is a problem

Re: the refs

when teams refuse to come here to play FH because of the refs...it is a problem

when an out of town coach pulls his team off the field because of the refs....it is a problem

when they take off the striped shirt and there is a "Go Big Red" tee shirt underneath...it is a problem

It's true the refs are a problem at Greenway. Like in the Melbourne Catholic game when 21 penalties where called against them in a game that went down to the last play, but then FH people said the refs had no impact on the outcome, lol

But in the playoffs they bring in refs. I don't think they're local. Refs aren't going matter tonight any way, FH wins big.

It's true the refs are a problem at Greenway. Like in the Melbourne Catholic game when 21 penalties where called against them in a game that went down to the last play, but then FH people said the refs had no impact on the outcome, lol

But in the playoffs they bring in refs. I don't think they're local. Refs aren't going matter tonight any way, FH wins big.

Again, fake news. Only three bad calls out of the 30 penalties in that game and one was against Fort Hill. Should the refs not call blatant holdings, off-sides, false starts, or facemasks. You guys are ridiculous.

If local refs were so bad how come a crew was selected to referee one of the State Championships last year or the year before.

Last edited:
I watched and NFL game yesterday where there were about 5 bad calls that caused first downs and broke momentum. These are the supposed to be the best refs in the world getting paid good money with all kinds of perks and they screw up in games and refuse to overturn their calls when reviewed on a regular basis. The blue man crews and haters are already trying to make excuses for Lackey and it won’t even be local refs tonight.

Reactions: 5punisher3
You are pretty pathetic to think that the refs had anything to do with last Friday’s outcome. Another armchair ref here. Watch the replay. It was actually a very well reffed game. Plus, I am pretty sure that out of town refs come in for the semifinal games anyways. At least as far back as I can remember they have and that was in the 90s.
and you are very judgemental . this is not the first time you critique other peoples opinions and views. maybe start a thread of your own or actually say something that is not a critique of other peoples posts for once? i get it's a message board but if all you do is just come on here to put down other people and call them names maybe you should ask yourself why you are so desperate to belittle other people.

Teams dont come to greenway for one reason and one reason only....fear of losing...as in reference of the team that pulled his kids off the field...they were from D.C....they were undisciplined and acted like thier racist coach....sad part was they were winning at the time and had potential to be a really good game....once again he was afraid of possibly losing

Sorry, if I hurt your feelings 4inarow. The counter-criticism is directly related to those that continually try to diminish FH accomplishments by blaming refs. Give me a break. Is was probably 2011 or 2012 that Fort Hill had 6-7 touchdowns called back on penalties in the first 3 games of the season. I will call it out everytime when it is not true.

Obviously there r bad calls everywhere u go....look at Damascus walkersville....that call was blatant and changed outcome....oh i mean no call...it got overturned after 2refs threw flags for 12 men on field....bad calls have been part of the gm everywhere forever

Teams dont come to greenway for one reason and one reason only....fear of losing...as in reference of the team that pulled his kids off the field...they were from D.C....they were undisciplined and acted like thier racist coach....sad part was they were winning at the time and had potential to be a really good game....once again he was afraid of possibly losing

...and that same coach pulled his kids off the field in like three different states. He got his school paid, went to Ohio and played for a 1.5 Qtrs and packed it up and went home. The D.C. Schools out of league games don’t count towards the city championship so it doesn’t matter if they forfeit. He was known for that. FH was just one his victims.

Again, fake news. Only three bad calls out of the 30 penalties in that game and one was against Fort Hill. Should the refs not call blatant holdings, off-sides, false starts, or facemasks. You guys are ridiculous.

If local refs were so bad how come a crew was selected to referee one of the State Championships last year or the year before.

MountainMoe made a legitimate point. The perception is teams aren't going to get a fair deal at Greenway from the refs. I've heard that on other high school football message boards. That may be a reason why it's difficult to schedule teams. Do you think Melbourne is going to want to play here again?

Is it true that a ref who does FH games had a son play for FH last season?

Melbourne comitted those penalties....maybe if they would've been more disciplined they would've won by a few tds....oh but wait....when ur coach is turning around and getting in arguments with the crowd...then he has no discipline either so how could anyone expect his players to....he got a delay of gm cuz he was taunting fans and didn't get the play in...then on another play was turned around arguing with crowd and only had 10 men on field....lol

Back to the original post....lackey nxt...i cant wait for tonight....should b a hard hitting gm....this gm will definitely be won in the trenches and also with what defense makes the most plays....outta b a fun gm to watch

Sorry, if I hurt your feelings 4inarow. The counter-criticism is directly related to those that continually try to diminish FH accomplishments by blaming refs. Give me a break. Is was probably 2011 or 2012 that Fort Hill had 6-7 touchdowns called back on penalties in the first 3 games of the season. I will call it out everytime when it is not true.
you weren't critiquing me so my feelings are good. you have some good facts which i like reading, but calling people names or saying they haven't watched a video is just being arrogant. Calling everybody out, is that a paying job or just enjoyable to put down others. You are the ultimate truth teller? C'mon, get over yourself.
You are very pro fh, very pro appel, very dismissive of anybody's opinion tht questions anything fh. me think you doth protest too much? a little less bias and mean spiritedness is all i'm asking. if you can't do that, too bad for you. thanks

Thats a great point camper....i dont think they can handle four qtrs of physicality.....i think its close first half....then they wear down in second half
I remember the Perryville qb and the Brunswick qb just being too much for fh to handle, and we couldn't wear them down, it almost looked like they wore us down. anybody have thoughts on why it will be different? is fh's defense better, or is the offense good enough to keep scoring?

...and that same coach pulled his kids off the field in like three different states. He got his school paid, went to Ohio and played for a 1.5 Qtrs and packed it up and went home. The D.C. Schools out of league games don’t count towards the city championship so it doesn’t matter if they forfeit. He was known for that. FH was just one his victims.

And don't forget, Dunbar (DC) football has been horrendous ever since....they have problems also in just running the school. Let's move on.

4inarow, I’m just get sick of seeing people gripe in moan about reffing when 99% of them have never reffed anything in their life. The truth is on the films if you watch them closely and objectively. Listening to people in the stands gripe about false starts, offsides, illegal formation calls or double shifts, listening to them cuss out the refs and call it cheating when they don’t even have a clue what those fouls are is where alot of this crap comes from. FH fans can be just as obnoxious and I will confront them if they are near me.

Last edited:

No, that's your perception and of those who's teams have lost at Greenway. Frankly, MCC were fortunate that more flags weren't thrown. Their OL were in motion throughout much of the game and weren't called for it. They had never played in that type of an atmosphere before and it showed. Don't believe me, ask the two MCC coaches we talked to after the game who admitted this. They never mentioned one word about the officiating. They even apologized to us about the antics of the head coach. Have spoke to many coaches over the years, like coach Pinkney at Douglass-PG, who said how much they loved coming to Greenway with no mention of officiating.

The refs do a pretty good job and there is only complaining when a team and their fans can't handle defeat.. Some ppl needs an excuse because their team would never lose if not for the refs lol.. I go to most home games for both schools and believe me you won't find better officiating at the HS level.. You can't really cheat when all our home games are televised. When you officiate a game at Greenaway,your performance can be reviewed at anytime.. I'm glad we have commercial video. I have seen calls that I thought were wrong, then I watch the video and find out they were right..

Last edited:
No, that's your perception and of those who's teams have lost at Greenway. Frankly, MCC were fortunate that more flags weren't thrown. Their OL were in motion throughout much of the game and weren't called for it. They had never played in that type of an atmosphere before and it showed. Don't believe me, ask the two MCC coaches we talked to after the game who admitted this. They never mentioned one word about the officiating. They even apologized to us about the antics of the head coach. Have spoke to many coaches over the years, like coach Pinkney at Douglass-PG, who said how much they loved coming to Greenway with no mention of officiating.
you are 100% right! when the team and coaches start yelling and mouthing off at the fans, they're showing their true colors and immaturity. most of all they are showing they are jealous of the support they are seeing. if you are that distracted by fans no wonder you are committing so many penalties.

Reactions: towpath94

I'm not sure how long you're been on this board but this allegation has been discussed many times, and not just by me. Fans from other teams have said they have come to Greenway and received bad calls. Also, as I said, on other football message boards people have the same perception of playing at Greenway - and I'm not singling out FH. If you say it's sour grapes, OK - but the perception exists nonetheless. When Melbourne comes here and gets 21 penalties it's looks funny. The Dunbar (DC) game was clearly bad officiating. I'm not excusing walking off the field. The head coach, whether you like him or not, is a great coach. He's coached three Pro Bowl players. He's probably going to be coaching next weekend in the 3A final in Annapolis and he has a 4 star WR headed to Penn State.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how long you're been on this board but this allegation has been discussed many times, and not just by me. Fans from other teams have said they have come to Greenway and received bad calls. Also, as I said, on other football message boards people have the same perception of playing at Greenway - and I'm not singling out FH. If you say it's sour grapes, OK - but the perception exists nonetheless. When Melbourne comes here and gets 21 penalties it's looks funny. The Dunbar (DC) game was clearly bad officiating. I'm not excusing walking off the field. The head coach, whether you like him or not, is a great coach. He's coached three Pro Bowl players. He's probably going to be coaching next weekend in the 3A final in Annapolis and he has a 4 star WR headed to Penn State.

I have been on this board since it started. Those allegations have been discussed many times. Most often when you bring it up.

Fans on other teams that lose at Greenway complain about bad calls...LMAO! When DON'T fans on losing teams complain about bad calls.

Fans on other boards have that perception because someone like YOU spreads that perception with baseless accusations with not one shred of proof whatsoever.

The Dunbar, DC game "was clearly bad officiating", why? Because a coach with a history of doing similar things when he didn't get his way said so? Steubenville, OH had problems with Dunbar every year they played them. It prompted them to cancel the last year of their contract. Or was Dunbar the victim of "clearly bad officiating" when they were in Ohio? Jeffries has coached three Pro Bowl players. Yay! Huzzah! Congratulations. Still don't get the concept that TEAMS win championships, not individuals.

Reactions: 4R341 and towpath94
I have been on this board since it started. Those allegations have been discussed many times. Most often when you bring it up.

Fans on other teams that lose at Greenway complain about bad calls...LMAO! When DON'T fans on losing teams complain about bad calls.

Fans on other boards have that perception because someone like YOU spreads that perception with baseless accusations with not one shred of proof whatsoever.

The Dunbar, DC game "was clearly bad officiating", why? Because a coach with a history of doing similar things when he didn't get his way said so? Steubenville, OH had problems with Dunbar every year they played them. It prompted them to cancel the last year of their contract. Or was Dunbar the victim of "clearly bad officiating" when they were in Ohio? Jeffries has coached three Pro Bowl players. Yay! Huzzah! Congratulations. Still don't get the concept that TEAMS win championships, not individuals.
When FH goes to Washington Co. Bad officiating. When FH went to Martinsburg people from FH complained about the refs. Its what happens you complain about the away teams officials. But if your insinuating the refs here cheat then you don't get to as many high school games as you say you do because we have some of the best refs in the state.

Yes, the criticism of officiating does raise its ugly head from time to time on this board an on another board that I frequent, and, as stated by Waggle, there does consistently appear to be one common denominator in the perpetuation of this myth.

The myth that Fort Hill benefits from officials at Greenway Avenue Stadium was busted several years ago. With that being said, I keep the document saved because, inevitably, it comes back to this message board. There's also a dig on the "then" and current playoff system. These are the same arguments - different day.

September 22, 2009

The age-old argument that Fort Hill gets favorable treatment from officials is just that - it is old.

I posted this info. on this board and on the rivals' board some time ago. Bottom line: When one looks at the stats. any objective person can honestly say the "home cookin'" myth, as it relates to Fort Hill, has been busted.

I checked the at home record from 2000-2008 for FH, and this is what I found:

Overall home record (including playoff games and "away" games vs. Allegany - FH's cross town rival) = 55 - 12

Total points scored by FH = 2010

Total points scored by opponents = 517

Average score per home game from 2000 - 2008 = FH 36+ - Opponent 9+

Last year, FH averaged 24 points a game at home and gave up 13 points (this does not count the 1-0 forfeit win over Dunbar, DC).

Bottom line: Unless the officials in Cumberland are worth 25 points (score differential of averages) per game for FH, and a poster can explain how FH lost 18% of its home games from 2000-2008, the "home cookin'" myth is BUSTED!

Oh...I almost forgot to mention - FH's record in away games over the same time period (not counting away games against Allegany and playoff games) is 26 - 8...76% of FH's games on the road resulted in wins and three of the losses came in 2001 when FH went 3 - 7.

September 23, 2009

So the stats aren't good enough for you, SuperSid?

The 35 - 0 pounding Boonsboro took last year in the first round of the playoffs is just an example of how bad the state of Maryland playoff system is. Mountain Ridge, the 5th seed in the 1A West, would have given FH a much, much better game but did not make the playoffs due to the 1-4 regional seedings.

As far as Southern goes, they beat FH in 2001, 29-13. FH turned around the next year and beat them 40-0. Southern also beat FH in 1996 - one year prior to Fort Hill winning the state championship in '97. Are you saying FH shouldn't play any 1A teams in their own backyard (Garrett County)?

As mentioned in my last post, FH's margin of victory in away games from 2000-2008 has been almost by the same margin as in home games (23 points).

A few more notable facts: FH lost at home by an average score of 25-9 (point differential = 14) and lost on the road by an average score of 24-11 (point differential = 13) from 2000 - 2008.

Bottom line: The myth about FH having an advantage at home games due to officiating has been busted. Accept it!

So to my original post, Lackey has an above average running QB with decent RBs and receivers and a big but average speed o-line. FH should be able to move the ball on the ground against their D.

Pretty much sum it up?

Mountain Moe brought up this subject NOT ME and y'all jumped on him, basically because you're mad he made some good points. And you said I spread this perception all over other boards? Lol!! Wow, I must have a lot of influence then! I brought up Coach Jeffries credentials because he is a great coach. In addition to his 3 Pro Bowl players and numerous other NFL players he has about 10 city titles AS A TEAM. And now he has a Maryland 3A school on the verge of playing for a state title. You painted him as some clown, he's an experienced coach that knows when he's getting jobbed.

The Dunbar DC game (which Mountain Moe and several other people made reference to - NOT ME) was a textbook example of biased officiating. FH has the ball deep in their own territory. Dunbar is leading the game at this point. Dunbar player hits FH player late. Not terribly late, if you watch FH games on a regular basis you see players coached to "hit to the echo". Nothing dirty about it, judgment call - 15 yard penalty. This call is legit. Dunbar player goes to HIS OWN SIDELINE and kicks a helmet. Refs throw another flag!!! Unsportsmanlike conduct - 15 more yards against Dunbar. Coach Jeffries is very angry, as he should have been. He tries to get an explanation from the refs. They refuse to talk to him and they cowardly stand at midfield. If you watch any level of football you see the refs have discussions with angry coaches all the time. Generally if you've hit a coach with 30 penalty yards you know he wants an explanation. Coach Jeffries comes a few yards on the field trying to talk with the refs, THEY HIT DUNBAR WITH A THIRD 15 YARD PENALTY!!! Terrible way to manage the game. Field is flipped with 45 penalty yards. You can watch football for 100 years and will never see 45 penalty yards awarded on one play. Jeffries pulls team off the field.

Can you answer my question? Is there a ref doing FH games that had a son on the team last year? Not making any accusations, just asking from a factual perspective.

Last edited:
Mountain Moe brought up this subject NOT ME and y'all jumped on him, basically because you're mad he made some good points. And you said I spread this perception all over other boards? Lol!! Wow, I must have a lot of influence then! I brought up Coach Jeffries credentials because he is a great coach. In addition to his 3 Pro Bowl players and numerous other NFL players he has about 10 city titles AS A TEAM. And now he has a Maryland 3A school on the verge of playing for a state title. You painted him as some clown, he's an experienced coach that knows when he's getting jobbed.

The Dunbar DC game (which Mountain Moe and several other people made reference to - NOT ME) was a textbook example of biased officiating. FH has the ball deep in their own territory. Dunbar is leading the game at this point. Dunbar player hits FH player late. Not terribly late, if you watch FH games on a regular basis you see players coached to "hit to the echo". Nothing dirty about it, judgment call - 15 yard penalty. This call is legit. Dunbar player goes to HIS OWN SIDELINE and kicks a helmet. Refs throw another flag!!! Unsportsmanlike conduct - 15 more yards against Dunbar. Coach Jeffries is very angry, as he should have been. He tries to get an explanation from the refs. They refuse to talk to him and they cowardly stand at midfield. If you watch any level of football you see the refs have discussions with angry coaches all the time. Generally if you've hit a coach with 30 penalty yards you know he wants an explanation. Coach Jeffries comes a few yards on the field trying to talk with the refs, THEY HIT DUNBAR WITH A THIRD 15 YARD PENALTY!!! Terrible way to manage the game. Field is flipped with 45 penalty yards. You can watch football for 100 years and will never see 45 penalty yards awarded on one play. Jeffries pulls team off the field.

Can you answer my question? Is there a ref doing FH games that had a son on the team last year? Not making any accusations, just asking from a factual perspective.
it doesn't sound like you are asking from a factual perspective.. this is why people are dismissing your argument. when you fall back on something like that it diminishes your other points, even those that seemed valid.
you see if you say that then somebody is going to say that a ref went to allegany, or had a son that went there, or is the nephew of a coach...you see what i mean? it would work both ways. Hell I'm not even saying your wrong, but you took a wrong turn.

Reactions: forthill#1
What was the purpose of the little ref wearing the white hat on the FH sideline? He made several on field appearances during the game. It seemed like on every penalty that warranted a discussion he would come out into the huddle and voice his opinion. I think it made the "real white hat ref" look like he needed his teacher to make sure his calls were correct. Maybe he was the grand pu-pa of the officiating crew...

BTW, what is going on with FH punt returners? Arg.

Reactions: cumbfanatic

So when you said in an above post that "The Dunbar (DC) game was clearly bad officiating." That's not referencing it in you eyes? Lol.

Because Coach Jeffries showed a lack of discipline on the sideline that excuses him somehow?? Like he did in Ohio and against Ballou the year before? You weren't on the field and don't know what was said. Or did he tell you later that he said "I just said play nice guys and they threw a flag!!"

As for the official with the son that may have played for FH, I have no idea.

Boyz, you literally said that while a judgement call, the late hit 15 yard call was legit. Then you specifically admitted that the Dunbar DC player took his helmet off and kicked it. Regardless of where this happens, it's a penalty. On the field, near the sideline, whatever...it's gonna be called. (His helmet came onto the field by the way).

And then you have the audacity to say that the Jeffries is entitled to an explanation. For what? It was pretty obvious to everyone in the stadium what the calls were.

Jeffries lost control of his team and his own emotions..and then LEFT the field.

Period.

Yes he did and i dont care if hes coached 100 hall of famers....accusing kids of bein racist is down right despicable....maybe he should look in the mirror....as far as i see it he teaches when the chips r down in a tight situation its ok to quit because its not ur fault....everyone is just picking on u....i mean what happened to things like fight through adversity and it makes u stronger....coach jeffries has no morals

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT