ADVERTISEMENT

Is it true that coach Appel is retiring?

Everyone here knows that Allegany has beaten Dunbar the same number of times FH has... has actually done it this century, and has played them much less often. Yes, FH lost a lot to Dunbar.
Considering that Alco beat Dunbar the same year Dunbar beat FH, why would you think Alco couldn't win those game. Weve literally all seen it happen.

Was it not a factual statement that I made? Because it's actually the complete truth. What exactly do you have a problem with?
Very simple answer, it was at greenway and not in the title game. We've never seen Alco beat Dunbar in a playoff game or a game not at Greenway

Talent for sure has a decent amount to do with why FH is so successful. However, the coaching staff brings out the best in those kids having them work hard in the weight room and on the practice field. That is why they are so far ahead in this area. However, once you get down state and face teams like Dunbar who have more athletes and more speed you're going to run into some trouble. To say Talent doesn't play a decent factor in winning is asinine, but also saying that hardwork doenst play a significant factor in Fort Hill's success is just as bad
Just like I said... when FH is good it's hard work and coaching, not talent and speed, but when somebody is better than FH its talent and speed, not hard work and coaching.

Very simple answer, it was at greenway and not in the title game. We've never seen Alco beat Dunbar in a playoff game or a game not at Greenway
Thats an easy answer. FH refuses to play Dunbar in the regular season, even at home.
We've never seen FH beat Dunbar in the lifetime of the current players.

Reactions: Lagmeister
Just like I said... when FH is good it's hard work and coaching, not talent and speed, but when somebody is better than FH its talent and speed, not hard work and coaching.
Well who ever uses that argument is just lying to themselves. Talent and Speed obviously benefit them when they win. And in the case of losing to a team like Dunbar, affects them when they lose.

And FH didnt beat Dunbar again

Here's the other thing - getting back to depth again - when Allegany beat Dunbar it was the first game of the season and the Campers were 100%. Their lack up depth showed up as the season began to wear them down. They went into homecoming hobbled (along with a starter sidelined over the Southern incident). Low these many years Allegany has been down almost 20% of its full capability (players out and not being 100%) by the time the playoffs roll around.

Everyone here knows that Allegany has beaten Dunbar the same number of times FH has... has actually done it this century, and has played them much less often. Yes, FH lost a lot to Dunbar.
Considering that Alco beat Dunbar the same year Dunbar beat FH, why would you think Alco couldn't win those game. Weve literally all seen it happen.

Was it not a factual statement that I made? Because it's actually the complete truth. What exactly do you have a problem with?
Alco couldn't get the chance to try. They couldn't make it past FH

Alco couldn't get the chance to try. They couldn't make it past FH

When all the chips were pushed to the pile... when all the stakes were the highest... FH could not get the job done against Dunbar. Sure, the undermanned team across town didn't last out the season. But what was the excuse with FH's deep bench?

This is really picking a nit... When the difference is so staggering that Allegany can't score a point in JV or Varsity... and obviously the bench depth and speed is so galactically different... how close to 'be all end all' do you need to be?
Allegany's JV had a pretty down year last year. I bet if you check over the last 8-10 years Allegany' JV and or freshman team is pretty even with FH. Two years ago the Allegany's JV team dominated FH at little homecoming with mostly freshman who are now juniors. Not saying this makes a difference but just a point the the two teams play pretty even at the JV level

What is Fort Hill's over all record against Dunbar? What is Fort Hill's record against Allegany? Let's simplify things....what is Fort Hill's record against Allegany in the past 5 years?

What is Fort Hill's over all record against Dunbar? What is Fort Hill's record against Allegany? Let's simplify things....what is Fort Hill's record against Allegany in the past 5 years?
Let's make it even simpler... what's FH's record against Allegany in the last 6 months?

Allegany's JV had a pretty down year last year. I bet if you check over the last 8-10 years Allegany' JV and or freshman team is pretty even with FH. Two years ago the Allegany's JV team dominated FH at little homecoming with mostly freshman who are now juniors. Not saying this makes a difference but just a point the the two teams play pretty even at the JV level

I am aware.... but thank you. It's watching their overall depth deteriorate that bothers me. When Alco has the talent, they can compete.

Last edited:
When all the chips were pushed to the pile... when all the stakes were the highest... FH could not get the job done against Dunbar. Sure, the undermanned team across town didn't last out the season. But what was the excuse with FH's deep bench?
Personally i think if the defender makes a solid tackle on the sideline. Fort Hill may have been able pull out the win. But the kid broke the tackle and went the distance thats football. Still they were there alco wasn't beating Dunbar early didn't matter for ya'll anyway.

Personally i think if the defender makes a solid tackle on the sideline. Fort Hill may have been able pull out the win. But the kid broke the tackle and went the distance thats football. Still they were there alco wasn't beating Dunbar early didn't matter for ya'll anyway.

Early in the game.... Dunbar quarterback was all but sacked... he makes a short completion that the young man took all the way for a touchdown.

My sons freshman year was alcos last year of freshman football they lost both games to alco that year but they never lost to them again.

Why play an opponent your probably going to see in the post season if you don't have to
So why complain about teams like Northern and Southern when they dont play FH? Are you also saying FH and Alco shouldn't play each other in the regular season?

Your logic here defeats your argument.FH beats Douglass by 2 td one week after Douglass beats Dunbar by 2 TD. Do the math eddy. Fh would have beaten Dunbar by 2-3 TD. Shame they Douglass beat them. This FH team wasn't losing to anyone in 1A.

Your logic here defeats your argument.FH beats Douglass by 2 td one week after Douglass beats Dunbar by 2 TD. Do the math eddy. Fh would have beaten Dunbar by 2-3 TD. Shame they Douglass beat them. This FH team wasn't losing to anyone in 1A.

Fh would have beaten Dunbar by 2-3 TD

Try using the same logic you apply to Alco: until you do, you didn't.

As i said earlier i don't believe they could drop FH even if they wanted to

When it gets ugly enough, the powers that be would make whatever changes need be and allow it. I will call it the pre-Robinette period and now the post-Robinette period.

If this year's group keeps the homecoming game within two scores... and in fact also puts some points on the board... then we have delayed things a few more years.

Perhaps in the post-Robinette period even the diehard red-jackets will turn from a beer breakfast - then a hoot 'n hollar over a lopsided beating of a shrunken bench - to thinking that this is actually an embarrassment to the town.

So why complain about teams like Northern and Southern when they dont play FH? Are you also saying FH and Alco shouldn't play each other in the regular season?
I've never complained about teams not wanting to play in alco case county opponent

Just like alco Lag until u do u didn't. Beat FH of course. U can beat Dunbat in week 1 every year but if your season ends with an L it means nothing. On the other hand if your season ends with a W you are a champion. Alco has been a champion 8 times and that's admirable. Sit in your rocking chair and reflect on those. FH has 7 and 5 of those recent. Just sit back and enjoy the success. We are a dying community with 2 1A schools that are dropping in enrollment every year. It's apples and oranges from the 70's 80's and 90's. You are out of town for many many years. Come back and walk the Halls of FH with me and u will be amazed at the success they have. We aren't as deep.as you think, just much deeper than your Alma matter. That's not anyone's fault. This place.is fading Lag. Appel isn't a perfect person but he puts everything he has into that program and school. Look at the other programs in that place. They aren't very good. It's a little embarrassing to tell u the truth. I went to FH when we were a small 3A school. We didn't win a title but we were there, at least in the semis, but we were in the Semis in all 3 sports. It was fun and it was competitive. And we were in the CVAL too. This place is far from those days. We are fortunate to have the FH program. You talk so.much about Dunbar beating FH. That's just you needling the FH faithful. I get it. But Dunbar and FH have been slug feats. They just seem to make 1 more play then we do. Good for them.

Just like alco Lag until u do u didn't. Beat FH of course. U can beat Dunbat in week 1 every year but if your season ends with an L it means nothing. On the other hand if your season ends with a W you are a champion. Alco has been a champion 8 times and that's admirable. Sit in your rocking chair and reflect on those. FH has 7 and 5 of those recent. Just sit back and enjoy the success. We are a dying community with 2 1A schools that are dropping in enrollment every year. It's apples and oranges from the 70's 80's and 90's. You are out of town for many many years. Come back and walk the Halls of FH with me and u will be amazed at the success they have. We aren't as deep.as you think, just much deeper than your Alma matter. That's not anyone's fault. This place.is fading Lag. Appel isn't a perfect person but he puts everything he has into that program and school. Look at the other programs in that place. They aren't very good. It's a little embarrassing to tell u the truth. I went to FH when we were a small 3A school. We didn't win a title but we were there, at least in the semis, but we were in the Semis in all 3 sports. It was fun and it was competitive. And we were in the CVAL too. This place is far from those days. We are fortunate to have the FH program. You talk so.much about Dunbar beating FH. That's just you needling the FH faithful. I get it. But Dunbar and FH have been slug feats. They just seem to make 1 more play then we do. Good for them.

Nice post. Just for the record, Northern, Southern.... Alco or FH... all those young men play their hearts out. In fact, let's bring in Dunbar and most high schools where the guys actually show up to play football.

So, my comments are directed toward the grads and such that show up here to post. As for Appel, I used to post that the schools should unite with Appel as coach.... that was until he had a meltdown about a single loss and compounded it with later publicly discussing a students poor grades (all the while bringing God up at every moment as though he were holier than thou or anyone else).

For the record again, FH is as deep as I think. Condense my posts down to the same message: let Alco be Alco and let FH be FH. They should shit-can homecoming and let Allegany find some competitive opponent. Let FH fill the slot with a competitive opponent.

More for the record: perhaps a dozen times, or more, I have posted that all high schools should play 10 games and hit the books. Sports are suppose to add community to the school and help prepare students to join the larger community. That is what I remember about high school and Cumberland. Sports shouldn't be about a coach's ego, a banner for the school or a scholarship for any single player. Like so much else, everything has gotten so perverted as to be unable to understand original meanings.
....................................................................................
U can beat Dunbat in week 1 every year but if your season ends with an L it means nothing.

Oh... even crap would say that's crap.

Last edited:
Ok you are right about the L comment. As for Appel, he made a mistake when he had the meltdown. Do you want judged on a bad day? I sure don't. I am a FH grad, I grew up right next to the place. My son graduated this year. It was a great year. I know FH is not a state powerhouse. Probably a top 30 last year. But 1 of 2 1A powerhouses. That's it. I for one would love to see a strong allegany football program. I love the HC experience. Remember, I grew up in it. It was fun then. You are right, it is not that anymore. Sad to say.

Ok you are right about the L comment. As for Appel, he made a mistake when he had the meltdown. Do you want judged on a bad day? I sure don't. I am a FH grad, I grew up right next to the place. My son graduated this year. It was a great year. I know FH is not a state powerhouse. Probably a top 30 last year. But 1 of 2 1A powerhouses. That's it. I for one would love to see a strong allegany football program. I love the HC experience. Remember, I grew up in it. It was fun then. You are right, it is not that anymore. Sad to say.

Here's my point: the state championship thing has perverted high school sports. Without a championship at stake Dunbar would have had no incentive to go all the way to Joppatowne to get Tavon Austin... and he still would have gotten his scholarship being that good. State championships by their very nature encourage student athletes to gravitate together at a single school to obtain a championship.

So, enough of that. No I wouldn't even want to be fully accountable for my myriad of mistakes in life. God has blessed me in many ways.

I ran a huge youth program for very competitive athletes. I had bad days and good days but was always fully aware of when I represented that program to the young athletes, parents or anyone who may have been listening when I discussed the program. It is called 'putting on the appropriate hat' and in that capacity it is not a matter of having a bad day. When you meltdown publicly over a single loss or when you publicly speak about a student's poor grades, that is not a bad day.

On a bad day you may smash your keyboard (broke a few). You may publicly use profanity... but then look around to see if anyone heard you. You may slam your car door or the lid on your trash can. Or maybe worse... tell your wife, when she asks what is wrong, say, "I don't want to talk about it."

Those are bad days.

That's is the definition of a weak strawman. All you did was admit that FH has to have someone else beat Dunbar or them be in a completely different class for the sentinels to win a title.

Douglass...lol!

I've never complained about teams not wanting to play in alco case county opponent
Every FH fan on here has complained about it. besides it's really stupid to say teams that might face each other in the playoffs shouldn't have to play each other, then turn around and say they have to play because of being in the same county
Which is it?

That's is the definition of a weak strawman. All you did was admit that FH has to have someone else beat Dunbar or them be in a completely different class for the sentinels to win a title.

Douglass...lol!
Yes such a shame that Dunbar couldnt make it to the dance this past year. Guess that's Fort Hill's fault

Douglass 20
Dunbar 6
FH 20
Douglass 8 that's all that matters

Every FH fan on here has complained about it. besides it's really stupid to say teams that might face each other in the playoffs shouldn't have to play each other, then turn around and say they have to play because of being in the same county
Which is it?
Where did anyone say that?

It's easy to tell that even the FH faithful know these 1A titles are tainted.
And how exactly are they tainted should i tell my boy to throw his ring in the river because dunbar got beat by the team that they defeated to earn the championship come on let's hear some more of your bullshit

1A state titles are great, until FH wins 4 in a row.

I'm sure if Alco won a softball state title, if Mtn Ridge won a soccer title it would be pure greatness.

Congrats to the Southern girls hoops team on your sham of a 1A title. I'm being sarcastic. Bunch a blue belly winers. Just because your school can't obtain one doesn't mean they are worthless.

1A state titles are great, until FH wins 4 in a row.

I'm sure if Alco won a softball state title, if Mtn Ridge won a soccer title it would be pure greatness.

Congrats to the Southern girls hoops team on your sham of a 1A title. I'm being sarcastic. Bunch a blue belly winers. Just because your school can't obtain one doesn't mean they are worthless.

Bunch a blue belly winers.

Guilty. I love Blue Nun wine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT