ADVERTISEMENT

Is it true that coach Appel is retiring?

I dont doubt it, in fact I'll admit that..lol. your right but dont tell me excuses about what I already know, tell me what needs to happen to put alco back on par with fh.. not just compete one year but every year? What brings some of that depth back/over to alco..

As long as FH is in 1A with the yearly opportunity for a championship absolutely nothing can be done to change things around. Even still, the system has been a long time developing in a shrinking town. I don't see things changing. Which is why I recommend each school going their own way.

I never posted that. In fact, I posted that maybe the football gods will give Alco a win this year. When they have talent they do well. If FH starts fumbling the ball... who knows. Still, I wouldn't take Alco and 10 points in the next homecoming game.

There are always exceptions, but Allegany and Fort Hill are on different trajectories. Alco doesn't have the depth to compete with FH on a consistent basis. In the long run homecoming will be mostly a travesty (in my thinking). This is the post-Robinette era.

Ok so we had that clear, I still believe alco could turn things around.. as well as be dead in 5 years.. it might take 2 out of 3 homecoming games to get the ball rolling but kids forget fast, they dont care you won what then only who won when I played.. as a fh fan I would hate to see that but for the love of Cumberland homecoming it wouldn't hurt.. personally line needs more skill since they play with less talent.. run some option or something to keep the defense honest, pretty sure Fort Hill understands most of the wing-t deception... start young build up morale.. seems your supporters lost hope, good thing it's a childs game and kids dont listen to us older heads bitch about the past or why we got hosed blah blah... keep your head up lag their's still hope for the campers bro..lol..[/QUOTE]

keep your head up lag their's still hope for the campers bro..lol..

I don't live or die with them. Frankly, the best thing I like about seeing a game at Greenway has been the FH band. They are always there and always support the team throughout the game.

Ok so we had that clear, I still believe alco could turn things around.. as well as be dead in 5 years.. it might take 2 out of 3 homecoming games to get the ball rolling but kids forget fast, they dont care you won what then only who won when I played.. as a fh fan I would hate to see that but for the love of Cumberland homecoming it wouldn't hurt.. personally line needs more skill since they play with less talent.. run some option or something to keep the defense honest, pretty sure Fort Hill understands most of the wing-t deception... start young build up morale.. seems your supporters lost hope, good thing it's a childs game and kids dont listen to us older heads bitch about the past or why we got hosed blah blah... keep your head up lag their's still hope for the campers bro..lol..

I don't live or die with them. Frankly, the best thing I like about seeing a game at Greenway has been the FH band. They are always there and always support the team throughout the game.[/QUOTE]
I honestly feel like alco has always been in this position we see them in today, always lil bro to fh.. I feel like the stadium being 52 steps away from fh somehow puts them in a better position, why dont know? That was looking at it from the outside, once I got to fh I seen how important football was 1st week of gym class..lol.. it was a way for Barry to see what hes got coming up.. idk if alco does that or if fh still does?.. but they should, and not just football, any ball... but back to the point, what decade did alco ever dominate, or just be top dog on the football landscape? For me I've just always felt like alco is 2nd fiddle when it comes to football.. with that said I still just cant see alco being doomed, they've always had to do more with less...

Toddy gets you the 1A ring. If Toby thinks that today the massive difference in depth is because all the talent at Alco is playing some other sport.... well, that's his opinion I guess from going from Principal of Westmar to FSU as coordinator of field experiences.

Is that being dismissive of Toby's opinion because of what he's done recently? You should make yourself clear, especially about a fellow Camper.

Last edited:
Allegany has a tremendous football history. From 1974-1991 they won 6 state championships in 2A. They have 8 total. FH has 7. The FH-Alco series was a brawl in the past, very even. Somewhere along this road to a depleted Alco bench the big blue community cashed it in. The Alco pulse went from 65 beats per minute to a faint 50 beats. They need the crash cart to get it going again or it’s going to die. I believe it can revive and rebuild. There’s a process to get it back.here is how you do it;
The first step is change the scheme. The wing T is boring.spread the Offense out and throw the ball. It’s what kids see on TV and it’s appealing. Second, the Braddock Warriors need to get quality people involved let someone who knows what the hell they are doing take over and build it up from age 12 and 3) by changing scheme you will attract skill position players from FH that don’t play much and Alco will compete again. But it all starts with creating excitement and enthusiasm by changing that ancient boring offense.

Reactions: redtheperson

I don't live or die with them. Frankly, the best thing I like about seeing a game at Greenway has been the FH band. They are always there and always support the team throughout the game.
I honestly feel like alco has always been in this position we see them in today, always lil bro to fh.. I feel like the stadium being 52 steps away from fh somehow puts them in a better position, why dont know? That was looking at it from the outside, once I got to fh I seen how important football was 1st week of gym class..lol.. it was a way for Barry to see what hes got coming up.. idk if alco does that or if fh still does?.. but they should, and not just football, any ball... but back to the point, what decade did alco ever dominate, or just be top dog on the football landscape? For me I've just always felt like alco is 2nd fiddle when it comes to football.. with that said I still just cant see alco being doomed, they've always had to do more with less...[/QUOTE]

Most of the years Allegany has played in a smaller classification. But in terms of being a dominant program: 1977 - 1994 were great years Refosco/Gilmore.

Is that being dismissive of Toby's opinion because of what he's done recently? You should make yourself clear, especially about a fellow Camper.

If Gilmore, Kane or Preaskorn said it, then yes I would rethink things - maybe, but not much since, by and large, off hand comments at a given point in time never tell a total story. (Just like folks around here dismiss Appel's blurts.) Other than that, it is just his opinion. Are there a couple more kids at Allegany that could be playing football but aren't, sure. I will concede that point (because nothing is usually absolute), but still contend that if they can play football (by and large) Hansel has them playing football. But nothing can account for the dramatic difference in numbers and talent.

Can we finally get real here... just for a post or so: Fort Hill is a 1A school but fields a freshman team! Their bench is deep, varsity to freshman. You don't get that at a 1A school unless you are in the 'sweet spot' in a city like Cumberland. Talent and depth funnels to FH.

Northern has a lot of enthusiasm. I sat in the stands a couple years ago and saw a pretty damn good home bench of parents and students. I saw a well orchestrated band. Great local enthusiasm. So, tell me all Northern needs to do to compete with FH is to do-it-the-FH-way. With what?

Last edited:
Allegany has a tremendous football history. From 1974-1991 they won 6 state championships in 2A. They have 8 total. FH has 7. The FH-Alco series was a brawl in the past, very even. Somewhere along this road to a depleted Alco bench the big blue community cashed it in. The Alco pulse went from 65 beats per minute to a faint 50 beats. They need the crash cart to get it going again or it’s going to die. I believe it can revive and rebuild. There’s a process to get it back.here is how you do it;
The first step is change the scheme. The wing T is boring.spread the Offense out and throw the ball. It’s what kids see on TV and it’s appealing. Second, the Braddock Warriors need to get quality people involved let someone who knows what the hell they are doing take over and build it up from age 12 and 3) by changing scheme you will attract skill position players from FH that don’t play much and Alco will compete again. But it all starts with creating excitement and enthusiasm by changing that ancient boring offense.

by changing scheme you will attract skill position players from FH that don’t play much and Alco will compete again. But it all starts with creating excitement and enthusiasm by changing that ancient boring offense.

Fat chance as long as the 'Toddy 1A ring' is dangled in front of the students while FH runs their boring offense to another championship.

by changing scheme you will attract skill position players from FH that don’t play much and Alco will compete again. But it all starts with creating excitement and enthusiasm by changing that ancient boring offense.

Fat chance as long as the 'Toddy 1A ring' is dangled in front of the students while FH runs their boring offense to another championship.
I may have quoted the wrong post but since this says “boring” I’ll go with it.
Why is everyone so quick to bash the wing T offense? It’s like it hasn’t won 5 of the last 6 state titles. Also people are quick to forget that 2 or 3 years ago FH set the state record for points scored in a season by running the... wing T offense.

It was said a few posts above about alco going 1-19 and if they would go to a spread offense then that record would probably be likely. There’s a reason Cumberland doesnt run the spread. There aren’t enough athletes, FH or alco.

Real question is how does alco stop the trend,or generate more support for their football ambitions? Can Cumberland have two football powerhouses or is alco going to look like east Fairmont with a 1-19 record in the next 5years? What I was asking lag, can they comeback or are they doomed football wise?? Do yall feel that way or is that just lag? Imo I feel it's a trend and alco can bounce back, fh wasn't always hot stuff.. rather than hearing a alco perspective why fh wins I need someone to tell me how alco can turn it around,from an alco perspective..

I agree with you, red. I think it certainly can be done, but it won't happen overnight and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up the right way. I think it's not only possible to have two solid 1A teams in Cumberland, but that it'd be great for our home town. I mean we're the poorest one in the state with no growth or jobs, but we're laying down a new almost $500k turf surface - our third one in 20 years. Pretty sure our area is really into this thing. And what would make it better is if Alco could get back to competing with you guys.

Lags will argue it can't be done. But Southern is a great example that it can. Their new coach 4 or 5 years ago laid out a plan, executed it, and Southern had their best season last year since somewhere around 2000. Was that only because of their vastly superior talent? Lol come on.

I may have quoted the wrong post but since this says “boring” I’ll go with it.
Why is everyone so quick to bash the wing T offense? It’s like it hasn’t won 5 of the last 6 state titles. Also people are quick to forget that 2 or 3 years ago FH set the state record for points scored in a season by running the... wing T offense.

It was said a few posts above about alco going 1-19 and if they would go to a spread offense then that record would probably be likely. There’s a reason Cumberland doesnt run the spread. There aren’t enough athletes, FH or alco.

100% correct. The Wing-T gives our local teams a great shot at competing with the Dunbars of the world because it's a system that allows undersized/under-athletic teams to compete. As an Alco guy, I'm a fan of running the Wing-T as our base but having other formations to throw out there against opponents that scheme up well against the Wing-T. FH has done that a time or two in the past whenever they had Ty and Brown, from what I remember.

I threw out there a few pages ago that the three D1 service academies (Air Force, Navy and Army) not only don't run traditional college spread offenses, but all specifically run varied wishbone/veer/quadruple-option offenses that allow them to compete against bigger D1 programs who have bigger, stronger, more athletically gifted guys. Now maybe that's just a big coincidence, but in my business, I generally trust the numbers.

PS Lags.. come on, brother. You're making some already-hated Alco posters look worse than they/we are already perceived to be. Coach Eirich has done more for kids, specifically Allegany kids, than you ever did. Unless you coached for 25 or so years, which maybe you did, then I think anyone on this board, FH fan, Alco fan or Paw Paw fan, is going to value Toby's view of local football before yours.

Reactions: PowerRamRight
I agree with you, red. I think it certainly can be done, but it won't happen overnight and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up the right way. I think it's not only possible to have two solid 1A teams in Cumberland, but that it'd be great for our home town. I mean we're the poorest one in the state with no growth or jobs, but we're laying down a new almost $500k turf surface - our third one in 20 years. Pretty sure our area is really into this thing. And what would make it better is if Alco could get back to competing with you guys.

Lags will argue it can't be done. But Southern is a great example that it can. Their new coach 4 or 5 years ago laid out a plan, executed it, and Southern had their best season last year since somewhere around 2000. Was that only because of their vastly superior talent? Lol come on.
Are you talking about the class at southern that everyone has been saying is there most athletic for 5 or 6 years now?
Didnt they beat the Pats in the CAYFL championship? And you are saying they werent good then? It's all been because of their current coach? Really lol?

May or may not help in the future but Allegany had well over 100 kids at their football camp that started last night. That is a significant increase in numbers over the last several years. Once again not saying it will make a difference.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
May or may not help in the future but Allegany had well over 100 kids at their football camp that started last night. That is a significant increase in numbers over the last several years. Once again not saying it will make a difference.

Saw some pics on a Facebook post. Looked really good. Doesn't blend with the claim that Alco doesn't generate enthusiasm at the younger levels. However, we cannot assume that all of those who attended will end up going to Allegany.

100% correct. The Wing-T gives our local teams a great shot at competing with the Dunbars of the world because it's a system that allows undersized/under-athletic teams to compete. As an Alco guy, I'm a fan of running the Wing-T as our base but having other formations to throw out there against opponents that scheme up well against the Wing-T. FH has done that a time or two in the past whenever they had Ty and Brown, from what I remember.

I threw out there a few pages ago that the three D1 service academies (Air Force, Navy and Army) not only don't run traditional college spread offenses, but all specifically run varied wishbone/veer/quadruple-option offenses that allow them to compete against bigger D1 programs who have bigger, stronger, more athletically gifted guys. Now maybe that's just a big coincidence, but in my business, I generally trust the numbers.

PS Lags.. come on, brother. You're making some already-hated Alco posters look worse than they/we are already perceived to be. Coach Eirich has done more for kids, specifically Allegany kids, than you ever did. Unless you coached for 25 or so years, which maybe you did, then I think anyone on this board, FH fan, Alco fan or Paw Paw fan, is going to value Toby's view of local football before yours.

You're making some already-hated Alco posters look worse than they/we are already perceived to be.

If someone is "already-hated" by others for merely giving opinions, why give a shit what others think. Hell, that's a freedom I gave myself years ago.

If actually giving a serious interview to a pointed question, Eirich believes there are a Fort Hill equivalent number of 190 - 220 lb. athletic young men at Allegany, who have decided to just kick a soccer ball around... well, fine.

I don't care. I have my own eyes. I learned to add at Columbia Street School. For the 'zillionth' time: FH has a deep bench freshman through varsity. Those extra numbers are not playing soccer, baseball, basketball or line dancing at Allegany.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the class at southern that everyone has been saying is there most athletic for 5 or 6 years now?
Didnt they beat the Pats in the CAYFL championship? And you are saying they werent good then? It's all been because of their current coach? Really lol?

A blue-on-blue matchup here. This is great, because the only other thing that would get Coach Brian hard is if Alco dropped football altogether. And I don't know who won the youth league title you mentioned because unlike our previously noted friend, I don't keep track of that metric.

Of course Southern having more talent than usual last year was a factor, no question. I mean if FH didn't have Danny King, Southern probably beats FH, no?

Bottom line is, you need talent and you need a well developed and run program. If you're a talented squad and not run the right way, you lose at some point. Probably more than once. FH wasn't loaded with a ton of college players last year, and they went undefeated. Now they weren't talent-poor, but they're the model for program, consistency, pipeline, depth, having a ton of kids buy-in to the process, etc. Southern finally had both of those main factors come together last year and had a good season.

Case in point.. our sophomore year, our seniors were just ok but our junior class had won the majority of the championships from Pee Wee to CAYFL, and only lost one game when they were all together as freshmen. But that sophomore year, when all those dudes were juniors, we were crap. I think we were like 5-5, and ended the year with FH handling us and everyone wanting Kane fired.

Same junior class the next year as seniors runs through everyone in the area and we win states. Next year, we were back down again... but I'd be alright with going back to having up and down years. At least we'd be competitive.

A blue-on-blue matchup here. This is great, because the only other thing that would get Coach Brian hard is if Alco dropped football altogether. And I don't know who won the youth league title you mentioned because unlike our previously noted friend, I don't keep track of that metric.

Of course Southern having more talent than usual last year was a factor, no question. I mean if FH didn't have Danny King, Southern probably beats FH, no?

Bottom line is, you need talent and you need a well developed and run program. If you're a talented squad and not run the right way, you lose at some point. Probably more than once. FH wasn't loaded with a ton of college players last year, and they went undefeated. Now they weren't talent-poor, but they're the model for program, consistency, pipeline, depth, having a ton of kids buy-in to the process, etc. Southern finally had both of those main factors come together last year and had a good season.

Case in point.. our sophomore year, our seniors were just ok but our junior class had won the majority of the championships from Pee Wee to CAYFL, and only lost one game when they were all together as freshmen. But that sophomore year, when all those dudes were juniors, we were crap. I think we were like 5-5, and ended the year with FH handling us and everyone wanting Kane fired.

Same junior class the next year as seniors runs through everyone in the area and we win states. Next year, we were back down again... but I'd be alright with going back to having up and down years. At least we'd be competitive.

the only other thing that would get Coach Brian hard is if Alco dropped football altogether.

I hesitate, but could you elaborate on this a little?

That's the realist answer

Only thing I'd say about leaving the wing t, only for the fh game.. everybody knows fh doesn't do pass coverage that well.. lol... besides that yall have to figure that out, but running into fhs line hasn't been getting the job done.. past that yall have to figure it out.. I still wana see fh win, just not in a landslide like it has been..

(The campers work as hard and are well coached) I hope you kidding. Have you watched any games. Appel is yelling the opposing teams plays from the other side of the field. Not to mention the technical blocking of the ft hill linemen. Fort hills coaching staff 10 times better than allegany.”s. I
It sure does help when your coach knows the other teams plays better than they do.. Todd is one hell of a coach, but I do think he looks pretty ugly after a loss.. it's his fault, that kids fault yada yada.. give the same glory to God,win or lose.. compliment the other team, move on... but when hes on hes on .. without a doubt

It sure does help when your coach knows the other teams plays better than they do.. Todd is one hell of a coach, but I do think he looks pretty ugly after a loss.. it's his fault, that kids fault yada yada.. give the same glory to God,win or lose.. compliment the other team, move on... but when hes on hes on .. without a doubt

So much so that Southern fans thought he was using radio communications with his players. What a crock that was....LoL

That's the realist answer

Only thing I'd say about leaving the wing t, only for the fh game.. everybody knows fh doesn't do pass coverage that well.. lol... besides that yall have to figure that out, but running into fhs line hasn't been getting the job done.. past that yall have to figure it out.. I still wana see fh win, just not in a landslide like it has been..

Yeah, their coverage was soooo bad that in their final three games, Catoctin, HDG, Douglass, three teams that threw all over the field, FH only gave up one score to each.

Saw some pics on a Facebook post. Looked really good. Doesn't blend with the claim that Alco doesn't generate enthusiasm at the younger levels. However, we cannot assume that all of those who attended will end up going to Allegany.
Absolutely not. I hear there is kids from Frankfort as well as Washington

And we know how people like BrianH views that win.

Absolutely, could not agree more. Now it's Big Red's turn to rack up state titles against lower level competition. Had to watch Alco do it for 3 decades.

Granted the years Alco won states they beat FH. But the years FH beat Alco they wound up playing Linganore, record setting Urbana and Dunbar 6 times to try and win a title because they were in a higher classification. If Alco played those teams they would have 6 less titles. Get it?

Yeah, their coverage was soooo bad that in their final three games, Catoctin, HDG, Douglass, three teams that threw all over the field, FH only gave up one score to each.
Two are trash, honestly and Douglass seemed more like a running team to me.. I was thinking mcc Brunswick (awhile ago yes) Dunbar got some big plays in that championship game tho... yea I'm knocking my own, that's what's lag wanted to hear.. lmao... but at times they looked shocked when a QBs drop back...

Absolutely, could not agree more. Now it's Big Red's turn to rack up state titles against lower level competition. Had to watch Alco do it for 3 decades.

Granted the years Alco won states they beat FH. But the years FH beat Alco they wound up playing Linganore, record setting Urbana and Dunbar 6 times to try and win a title because they were in a higher classification. If Alco played those teams they would have 6 less titles. Get it?
There it is is again. Now the size of the schools matters again.
Yeah, we all know that teams like Linganore and Dunbar outwork the sentinels and that's why beat them. Sounds like that's FH's fault that they refused to work hard enough to win titles. As many, many FH people have said... talent and student size have nothing to do with being good.
Yeah, 2A is lower than 1A. That's a real smart call on your part.
Anyways, we all know that the only reason FH has a 3A and 2A title is because Allegany wasnt in that class the same years.

Last edited:
There it is is again. Now the size of the schools matters again.
Yeah, we all know that teams like Linganore and Dunbar outwork the sentinels and that's why beat them. Sounds like that's FH's fault that they refused to work hard enough to win titles. As many, many FH people have said... talent and student size have nothing to do with being good.
Yeah, 2A is lower than 1A. That's a real smart call on your part.
Anyways, we all know that the only reason FH has a 3A and 2A title is because Allegany wasnt in that class the same years.
What's your arguement here? Somebody wearing red say size of school doesn't matter? Well it does, and guess what yea size(of school)might make you a better team overall sure, but your going to play better overall teams in the playoffs.. does that take away from the last 5 chips..nope.. nor does it take away from alcos? Chips.. I think Todd explained that 5 pages ago bro...

If Alco played those teams they would have 6 less titles.

The Appel Chapel on the hill is now trying to warm their November with a 1A championship Hot Toddy to ease the pain of not delivering back when they had to slug it out with the big boys of their own size.

Two are trash, honestly and Douglass seemed more like a running team to me.. I was thinking mcc Brunswick (awhile ago yes) Dunbar got some big plays in that championship game tho... yea I'm knocking my own, that's what's lag wanted to hear.. lmao... but at times they looked shocked when a QBs drop back...

that's what's lag wanted to hear.

In specific, no.

that's what's lag wanted to hear.

In specific, no.
Somebody wanted to hear it, like it couldn't be done... but yes fh has weaknesses like any other team made of kids.. I feel it's what they don't see alot of, that's the passing game ..yes they've dominated some trash passing teams.. but decent passing teams I feel they struggle a little bit.. that Dunbar beat you shit is weak tho, oh they got all the talent shit dont fly either(even if they do) yes fh has a Dunbar bugaboo,kinda.. but I dont wana hear that shit from the alco guys till yall win homecoming or your kids are enrolled at Dunbar high...lmao.. I mean u can say it but it holds no weight in the real world...

Somebody wanted to hear it, like it couldn't be done... but yes fh has weaknesses like any other team made of kids.. I feel it's what they don't see alot of, that's the passing game ..yes they've dominated some trash passing teams.. but decent passing teams I feel they struggle a little bit.. that Dunbar beat you shit is weak tho, oh they got all the talent shit dont fly either(even if they do) yes fh has a Dunbar bugaboo,kinda.. but I dont wana hear that shit from the alco guys till yall win homecoming or your kids are enrolled at Dunbar high...lmao.. I mean u can say it but it holds no weight in the real world...

it holds no weight in the real world

If you mean... like... ugh... around here: not the real world, sorry.

it holds no weight in the real world

If you mean... like... ugh... around here: not the real world, sorry.
I'll give you that... we're just wasting Time to watch kids play football (I know I am)... this thread has lost its knowledge of anything along time ago.. does anybody really know fhs schedule tho? And apple is still up on the hill, I'm sure we would've heard something by nw if nt... it's been a great debate about nothing tho..

The speed of last years D made covering easier. Mostly because of the pressure on the qb.

I'll give you that... we're just wasting Time to watch kids play football (I know I am)... this thread has lost its knowledge of anything along time ago.. does anybody really know fhs schedule tho? And apple is still up on the hill, I'm sure we would've heard something by nw if nt... it's been a great debate about nothing tho..

Ugh, I don't consider this forum much of discussion about football as it is the cultural evolution of Cumberland, to which I have an attachment.

The speed of last years D made covering easier. Mostly because of the pressure on the qb.
That helps alot with pass coverage, probably why they dont look so great at it... qb has 3sec then boom hes down, if not fhs dbs turn and look for the sack and their man is running away..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT