ADVERTISEMENT

Is it true that coach Appel is retiring?

The kids are at Allegany. Bottom line is they just don't play football. If you look at the Allegany roster most kids are 4 year players. When kids do start most of the time they finish 4 years of football. I'm not saying all kids but most. It is just a matter of getting them out to start with.

The kids are at Allegany. Bottom line is they just don't play football. If you look at the Allegany roster most kids are 4 year players. When kids do start most of the time they finish 4 years of football. I'm not saying all kids but most. It is just a matter of getting them out to start with.

I think you are verifying my thinking. If most kids only played 4 years of football on the Allegany roster then those playing 'pee wee' and 'middle school' football are by and large going to FH. Exactly. If they have an interest they go to FH. It's just that simple.

Allegany now doesn't even offer a freshman team. You want to play? Go to Fort Hill. All of this adds weight to what I have been saying all along.

Last edited:
Talk about a generalized political answer. The way you you continue to claim FH gets all the athletes I figure you would have a laundry list of names to support your claims

Why should I keep a record of kids in middle school or who plays 'pee wee' football in Cumberland? Do you?

Besides brown and Johnson what athletes are you talking about? You act like FH has had the 4.2 forty athletes when in reality they’ve had 2 and the rest are just good football players who were built because of their determination in the weight room and through practice.

You said last year had the best backfield in the area, did they have any athletes? Out of Welch, whingate, and Powell are any of them athletes because I would consider them to be.
I have to agree and was kinda my point the whole friggin time... I dont think it has anything to do with great talent, more so time n dedication... I see lags point, a moth follows the brightest light.. and fort hill has the big bug zapper... idk what the correct answer is to turn that ish around but somebody figure it out, I love homecoming when it means something.. and a real question that hits my heart personally? Lil Aaron Welch playing varsity football lmao.. I remember that kid in diapers... he never had a football type body but he worked hard at it.. if he still plays I wish him the best..

I would totally agree with that assessment.

The only variance would be that size does matter when the commitment level is the same. For an example, if you could clone FH football into two programs with the same coaching staff. Give one team 700 kids to choose from and another 2300 kids to choose from and the latter would dominate. No different than when we were kids picking teams on the playground. If I have 3 times as many kids to pick from the difference is huge.

Something jumped into my mind that I had misread your post so I had to come back and correct my response. I have been responding to so much that I did not give it the attention it deserved. I apologize. You are in fact correct. Have a nice 4th.

Reactions: PowerRamRight
Besides brown and Johnson what athletes are you talking about? You act like FH has had the 4.2 forty athletes when in reality they’ve had 2 and the rest are just good football players who were built because of their determination in the weight room and through practice.

You said last year had the best backfield in the area, did they have any athletes? Out of Welch, whingate, and Powell are any of them athletes because I would consider them to be.
So why do you think FH players didnt dedicate themselves for every season but one from 1976-2012?
Why didnt any of those guys practice or use the weight room? Why werent they determined?

So why do you think FH players didnt dedicate themselves for every season but one from 1976-2012?
Why didnt any of those guys practice or use the weight room? Why werent they determined?
They did. They were just beat by the better team at the end of the day.

Is apple retiring tho? That is the real question? And better one yet who is fh playing? Anybody got anything that gets us any closer to solving that mystery?

Reactions: cumbfanatic
They did. They were just beat by the better team at the end of the day.
Yeah, the better team - defined by you as the team that is built with players more determined in the weight room and practice.

So I ask again, why did FH let other teams outwork them for all those years?

Yeah, the better team - defined by you as the team that is built with players more determined in the weight room and practice.

3 different teams bring 3 different offenses defenses coaches and some... but I dont think that made anybody's parents pack up and move so their child could play in the quad... maybe the 3 playoff games at the end but not the quad.. it's for exposure tho.. why else but for the knowledge

Many times the other team hit the extra point when FH missed there’s. In other words, look back at the scores, FH lost many of those playoff games by less than 3 points

I will go on to say, with a great deal of admiration to the Allegany program, Alco won those close playoff games in the 80’s and 90’s, FH lost them. It was a tough 2 decades for FH concerning close playoff games.

Many times the other team hit the extra point when FH missed there’s. In other words, look back at the scores, FH lost many of those playoff games by less than 3 points
And if they just would have put in as much work during practice and in the weight room as the other teams, they wouldn't have missed those extra points, while also allowing the other team to convert.

And you still haven't answered the question.
Why do you think so many other teams were more committed to winning than FH was for a 40-year span?

And if they just would have put in as much work during practice and in the weight room as the other teams, they wouldn't have missed those extra points, while also allowing the other team to convert.

And you still haven't answered the question.
Why do you think so many other teams were more committed to winning than FH was for a 40-year span?
There is some luck involved as well... lackey could have hit their field goal.... that triple pass(bad call apple) could have worked against perryville... 21-20 vs alco, alco could have made that 2point conversion...you wanna know why fort hill didnt win a chip for 40 year and now win 5 of 6? Luck.. level of competition in the playoffs.. better coaching today than Barry n Charlie... I'm sure it all plays a factor... Dunbar going to 2a helped.. alot! Eventho ima a fh fan I'd still like to see a few more w's against them b4 I call fort hill the best team in 1a...

this is a useless conversation. You obviously didn’t play anything athletic.
What it is they're not hearing what they wanna hear, and my comment above is about as close as it's going to get... you want to hear Fort Hill is cheating and have some kind of unfair advantage where that they pluck kids out of middle school now Elementary School... hard work tho? No1 wants to hear that ish..

I played soccer with a bunch of rednecks that were better at throwing hay bails than kicking soccer balls... we were better than everyone in the region 2 outa 3 years at lil ol flintstone.. 545 kids k-12... fh had over 100 9-12, know how we did it? Work.. hard ass work! You run 2 miles b4 practice? We run 4... that's how...

I played soccer with a bunch of rednecks that were better at throwing hay bails than kicking soccer balls... we were better than everyone in the region 2 outa 3 years at lil ol flintstone.. 545 kids k-12... fh had over 100 9-12, know how we did it? Work.. hard ass work! You run 2 miles b4 practice? We run 4... that's how...

So the team that beat you ran six.

Also, FH had football, cross country and golf competing with soccer for players. Flintstone had nothing but soccer.

Why cant anyone tell me why FH has let Dunbar outwork and be more dedicated every year they've played except 1997?

There is some luck involved as well... lackey could have hit their field goal.... that triple pass(bad call apple) could have worked against perryville... 21-20 vs alco, alco could have made that 2point conversion...you wanna know why fort hill didnt win a chip for 40 year and now win 5 of 6? Luck.. level of competition in the playoffs.. better coaching today than Barry n Charlie... I'm sure it all plays a factor... Dunbar going to 2a helped.. alot! Eventho ima a fh fan I'd still like to see a few more w's against them b4 I call fort hill the best team in 1a...
Luck favors the prepared. Funny how all the lucky teams seems to also be pretty good.

Edit - And how could the playoffs have been more competitive? Because of 3A? The whole argument you're trying to make is size of the school and talent doesnt matter, so why would one level be any more competitive than another?

Last edited:
What it is they're not hearing what they wanna hear, and my comment above is about as close as it's going to get... you want to hear Fort Hill is cheating and have some kind of unfair advantage where that they pluck kids out of middle school now Elementary School... hard work tho? No1 wants to hear that ish..
So why cant you tell me why FH let so many teams work harder than them from 1976-2012? Talent doesn't have anything to do with it, you said so yourself, so why cant you tell me why FH didnt work hard for almost 40 years? That's the only explanation according to you... they didnt work as hard as the teams that beat them.

So according to FH grads, when FH wins its because they worked harder. Talent or luck has nothing to do with it. When FH loses, though, its because the other team had more talent or got lucky. Not because they worked harder.

I guess since you are FH grads, you just cant understand how certifiable that sort of rationale appears.

And who said anything about cheating?

Last edited:
So the team that beat you ran six.

Also, FH had football, cross country and golf competing with soccer for players. Flintstone had nothing but soccer.

Why cant anyone tell me why FH has let Dunbar outwork and be more dedicated every year they've played except 1997?
They ran 10... they had athletes, we had hillbillies that could run for hr but still weren't the athletes... and the soccer team ate up all the males n a few females.. there wasn't anybody left for another sport.. honestly I think fort hill just chokes when it comes to Dunbar and football.. it's a fh sore spot, that's why alco fans poke at it.. everybody know that..lmao..

So why cant you tell me why FH let so many teams work harder than them from 1976-2012? Talent doesn't have anything to do with it, you said so yourself, so why cant you tell me why FH didnt work hard for almost 40 years? That's the only explanation according to you... they didnt work as hard as the teams that beat them.

So according to FH grads, when FH wins its because they worked harder. Talent or luck has nothing to do with it. When FH loses, though, its because the other team had more talent or got lucky. Not because they worked harder.

I guess since you are FH grads, you just cant understand how certifiable that sort of rationale appears.

And who said anything about cheating?
Talent has alot to do with it, I don't recall saying It didnt but no it's not everything that gos into an 11man game, gotta work together it's not soccer... not the only explanation,its about half... two I thought I just said yesterday it does takes luck and talent?? But most times hard work pays off, maybe Dunbar from 76 to 12 was just better.. witch fh lost to Brunswick 12 and perryville 11 so 76 to 2010 just maybe Dunbar was better.. hell maybe they still are? We dont know? Its alcos only knock on fh.. lol Dunbar.... but yea hard work.. talent.. luck.. that order ...

Luck favors the prepared. Funny how all the lucky teams seems to also be pretty good.

Edit - And how could the playoffs have been more competitive? Because of 3A? The whole argument you're trying to make is size of the school and talent doesnt matter, so why would one level be any more competitive than another?
The argument I was making has more to do with hard work takes a less talented team futher than the same team that works less... same amount of talent across the board.. never said a hard worker couldn't be beat by a lazy talented team.. or any way you want to put it...

I think you are verifying my thinking. If most kids only played 4 years of football on the Allegany roster then those playing 'pee wee' and 'middle school' football are by and large going to FH. Exactly. If they have an interest they go to FH. It's just that simple.

Allegany now doesn't even offer a freshman team. You want to play? Go to Fort Hill. All of this adds weight to what I have been saying all along.
I guess in someway it verifies what you are saying. Allegany not having a freshman team is not a big deal I dont think. I bet not many teams in Maryland have a freshman team. It still starts at the lower levels.

I guess in someway it verifies what you are saying. Allegany not having a freshman team is not a big deal I dont think. I bet not many teams in Maryland have a freshman team. It still starts at the lower levels.

Consider the consensus in this forum when Dunbar dropped to 1A: we called Dunbar the Baltimore All Stars. Their response was that most all of their varsity, except for a very few, came up from their JV. They also said they had great coaching and great enthusiasm for their program. All of the aforementioned is no doubt true.

However, those posting in Dunbar's support, claimed that they achieved success solely through 'hard work' and a 'desire for excellence', which if FH did the same then FH would be equal to Dunbar.

That is where the mindset shifts particularly when a school, same number of players on the bench, drops down to a lower classification and becomes an almost unstoppable powerhouse. Dunbar would never admit that in 1A, one or two players can make all the difference (well, hell they can at any level really). Dunbar would never admit that the Baltimore area had been funneling talent to them for years and years. I contend this is exactly the mindset of FH - now that they (and not Dunbar) have a full bench of talent in a lower classification.

Here are some of my statements:
...it is quite numerically possible to have significantly greater numbers in one geographic location than another.

Either more athletes come from that side of town or their parents put them in that program regardless of demographics.

So, Dunbar got most of its talent local (Baltimore) and early (JV). FH's dynamic is similar but generational for smaller Cumberland: the results were the same. Again, I contend that strictly 'hard work' and 'enthusiasm' is but a fractional part compared to talent and numbers.

Finally, consider that Allegany's JV and Varsity didn't score a point on FH last year - or so my quick research showed me. The talent and depth between the schools is staggering. Am I sad the way things turned out... well sure.

My 'displeasure' comes from a continuance of thought that all Alco needs is a better 'booster club' or a new coach... or a bright new talented staff to meet 'n greet the middle schoolers. There is a virtual promise across town for a championship game and a ring... and that promise is multiple years long now. Families have already moved or the funneling of talent is too set for a change.

I know I am a voice 'crying in the wilderness' but all I keep posting about is the desire to let Alco find whatever balance remains of their program. Let FH continue on its path, which is one of the only shining stars in the city. Stop the travesty for homecoming. The way it is going it is going to be an ugly black mark of a day rather than a continuing tradition.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneRing
Yes, as opposed to always losing especially when the games mean shit. Got it.
You of all people know Allegany has never beaten Dunbar in the playoffs. FH has. I don't know what you are really accomplishing by saying the above. Yes, FH has lost to Dunbar in the playoffs lots of times, but they got to those games all those times, Allegany didn't. Would Allegany have beaten any of those Dunbar teams FH lost to? Who knows. When you make a post that is clear and defined I respect it, and don't fault it because you're entitled to it. What I don't understand is when you make a statement like the above. What is your intent?

Talent for sure has a decent amount to do with why FH is so successful. However, the coaching staff brings out the best in those kids having them work hard in the weight room and on the practice field. That is why they are so far ahead in this area. However, once you get down state and face teams like Dunbar who have more athletes and more speed you're going to run into some trouble. To say Talent doesn't play a decent factor in winning is asinine, but also saying that hardwork doenst play a significant factor in Fort Hill's success is just as bad

Reactions: PowerRamRight
Talent for sure has a decent amount to do with why FH is so successful. However, the coaching staff brings out the best in those kids having them work hard in the weight room and on the practice field. That is why they are so far ahead in this area. However, once you get down state and face teams like Dunbar who have more athletes and more speed you're going to run into some trouble. To say Talent doesn't play a decent factor in winning is asinine, but also saying that hardwork doenst play a significant factor in Fort Hill's success is just as bad

That is why they are so far ahead in this area.

You can ignore the talent and depth all you want. It is what it is.

more athletes and more speed

FH has most of both in Cumberland by a large margin. 'Ironman' Alco can't score a point.

Last edited:
That is why they are so far ahead in this area.

You can ignore the talent and depth all you want. It is what it is.

more athletes and more speed

FH has most of both in Cumberland by a large margin. 'Ironman' Alco can't score a point.
Did I Ignore the talent? No I did not I just said its not the be all end all as you say.

Did I Ignore the talent? No I did not I just said its not the be all end all as you say.

This is really picking a nit... When the difference is so staggering that Allegany can't score a point in JV or Varsity... and obviously the bench depth and speed is so galactically different... how close to 'be all end all' do you need to be?

You of all people know Allegany has never beaten Dunbar in the playoffs. FH has. I don't know what you are really accomplishing by saying the above. Yes, FH has lost to Dunbar in the playoffs lots of times, but they got to those games all those times, Allegany didn't. Would Allegany have beaten any of those Dunbar teams FH lost to? Who knows. When you make a post that is clear and defined I respect it, and don't fault it because you're entitled to it. What I don't understand is when you make a statement like the above. What is your intent?

Everyone here knows that Allegany has beaten Dunbar the same number of times FH has... has actually done it this century, and has played them much less often. Yes, FH lost a lot to Dunbar.
Considering that Alco beat Dunbar the same year Dunbar beat FH, why would you think Alco couldn't win those game. Weve literally all seen it happen.

Was it not a factual statement that I made? Because it's actually the complete truth. What exactly do you have a problem with?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT