ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops....

Southern beat Baldwin 86 to 56
Northern beat Clear Spring 72 to 41
Mountain Ridge beat Smithsburg 73 to 66

Reactions: cumbfanatic
If I am not mistaken, Northern is 5-1 so far. I’m not sure who they have back inside but they had some pretty good outside shooters returning. They can be streaky and go off from the outside on any given night. Could be a dangerous team to face on the wrong night.

Southern beat Baldwin 86 to 56
Northern beat Clear Spring 72 to 41
Mountain Ridge beat Smithsburg 73 to 66

If I am not mistaken, Northern is 5-1 so far. I’m not sure who they have back inside but they had some pretty good outside shooters returning. They can be streaky and go off from the outside on any given night. Could be a dangerous team to face on the wrong night.
Yes, with the win the Huskies are now 5-1. Seems like area basketball is actually in decent shape. Southern, Northern, Mountain Ridge and Frankfort have all gotten off to nice starts.

Last edited:
Got a chuckle out of the moment of confusion I got from seeing Fort Hill play Green Street in the paper. My first thought was, where on Green Street is there an academy, with the second being isn't Greene Street spelled with an 'e'?

Reactions: beall02
I would have to say as of now...

1.] BW (No real comments needed)
2.] Southern (Loses to BW and Notre Dame)
3.] Frankfort (Undefeated, could be Southern's biggest test)
4.] Northern (Only loss is to Frankfort)
5.] Mountain Ridge (Lost to Southern)
6.] Fort Hill (Kept games close)
7.] Allegany (I was wondering why their coach left, now we know)

I would still put Mt Ridge over Northern at this time. People were saying the area was down this year but I am seeing some pretty high scores from area teams. Teams scoring in the 70’s and 80’s in high school have SOME talent regardless of the opponent. Anyone know anything about the teams further east in the region?
I would have to say as of now...

1.] BW (No real comments needed)
2.] Southern (Loses to BW and Notre Dame)
3.] Frankfort (Undefeated, could be Southern's biggest test)
4.] Northern (Only loss is to Frankfort)
5.] Mountain Ridge (Lost to Southern)
6.] Fort Hill (Kept games close)
7.] Allegany (I was wondering why their coach left, now we know)
e but

Reactions: beall02
12/28 Score

Northern 70
Mountain Ridge 58
Final

From Clear Spring Holiday Tourney

I would still put Mt Ridge over Northern at this time. People were saying the area was down this year but I am seeing some pretty high scores from area teams. Teams scoring in the 70’s and 80’s in high school have SOME talent regardless of the opponent. Anyone know anything about the teams further east in the region?

e but
Not sure about Boonsboro. Mountain Ridge has beaten Clear Spring handly and Smithsburg by less than 10. Northern has beaten Clear Spring and Hancock easily as well. I believe the Champ from the region will come from Frostburg and west. None of the East teams seem to be strong.

Northern beat ridge tonight?
Yes they did. Ridge got off to slow start like they did last night and couldn't come back. Northern is a good team. Northern/Southern should be good. A lot of area games after the first of the year will help clear up things.

I agree, but (as usual for me) I would go further: the entire k - 12 system in sports sucks swamp water. If you attend grade school in one district and transfer to a different middle school district you sit out a year in competitive sports.... shouldn't matter whether middle school or high school. It is, after all only sports. No student should ever be allowed to transfer between public schools for reason of sports without sitting out a year, even if that student's family moves from one city to the next. (And I could care less about the idea of not punishing a kid because his parents needed to move.)

And sure, no public school should play any private school in sports. If a private is wealthy enough to subsidize what is actually a quasi-professional team, fine. If they want to pay a coach twice the amount they pay a regular teacher.... Hey! It's their money.

Instead of the local publications reporting sports championships at the end of the year how about they publish the names of the students achieving the highest SAT scores or those who achieved free academic scholarships to top universities. Those are things to admire. I say play sports for the love of the game; get a real education to advance in life.

I'm for more liberal transfer rules, and yes I understand a few programs will abuse the rules and create super teams. But I'm always for more kids playing sports, isn't that what it's all about? The problem with the restrictive rules is it gives coaches too much power - sometimes it gives bad coaches too much authority over the players. If a coach is bad, or if a player is stuck behind the coach's son, let that player transfer to a better situation. Why does it help the situation to make the player sit out for a year? If the player has to transfer 3 times to find a situation for him to play, so what?

In the Burke article he was just saying be consistent. If you didn't have a problem when BW wasn't as good why do you have a problem now? How many years did Alco/FH run over BW in football and nobody had a problem with it? If you are opposed to private schools playing public schools then be that way in every sport.

Alco’s PG went down early in yesterday’s game vs Green St.
Ankle injury. Didn’t look good at all. Left before halftime on crutches. That sucks and I hate to see that happen to any kid.

Alco didn’t look good at all vs Green Street and lost by 25.

BW lost today to Samford by about 15 points. They are not all clicking together. Playing such high caliber competition they will keep improving. Next Tucker County, Allegany, Powerhouse Oakhill, then a trip to play in NY City.

I'm for more liberal transfer rules, and yes I understand a few programs will abuse the rules and create super teams. But I'm always for more kids playing sports, isn't that what it's all about? The problem with the restrictive rules is it gives coaches too much power - sometimes it gives bad coaches too much authority over the players. If a coach is bad, or if a player is stuck behind the coach's son, let that player transfer to a better situation. Why does it help the situation to make the player sit out for a year? If the player has to transfer 3 times to find a situation for him to play, so what?

In the Burke article he was just saying be consistent. If you didn't have a problem when BW wasn't as good why do you have a problem now? How many years did Alco/FH run over BW in football and nobody had a problem with it? If you are opposed to private schools playing public schools then be that way in every sport.

I don't have a problem at all with what Bishop Walsh is doing. They have decided they want to be "great" at a particular sport and have taken the necessary steps to do so. They are usually competitive in most sports in the area. They just struggled mightily in football. And they did choose to drop some area schools towards the end of the football program. But some area schools already do that to other area schools that aren't private schools. As many have said on here... were Bishop Walsh fans on here non stop complaining when they were taking beatings in football to area schools? No. They took their beating and moved on. I would suggest area schools do the same in basketball. It is going to be tough to drop them in basketball due to them being a member of the AMAC. Could this entail the end of the AMAC?

Anyone has the scores of
Tucker vs Elkins
PawPaw vs Tygarts Valley
Washington vs Faith Christian
from Saturday 12/29

I don't have a problem at all with what Bishop Walsh is doing. They have decided they want to be "great" at a particular sport and have taken the necessary steps to do so. They are usually competitive in most sports in the area. They just struggled mightily in football. And they did choose to drop some area schools towards the end of the football program. But some area schools already do that to other area schools that aren't private schools. As many have said on here... were Bishop Walsh fans on here non stop complaining when they were taking beatings in football to area schools? No. They took their beating and moved on. I would suggest area schools do the same in basketball. It is going to be tough to drop them in basketball due to them being a member of the AMAC. Could this entail the end of the AMAC?

It's already on record that the moment BW football started to get beat soundly by local schools they dropped them immediately for the next 14 or so years. BW did what was best for their program. I see nothing different now for area schools in basketball.

I know its been said over and over. Again in football when a team is so overpowered the kids arent protected. BW had no one on the line that could block the better teams. The defense basically would get free shots at the small 9th or 10th grade running back. BW football team was made up of a lot of 9th and 10th graders who were small, going against Seniors who have been weight training for years. It was such a disadvantage, the kids were in danger of serious injury. The local basketball teams do not have a problem playing BW, but you do. There is no comparison in what you keep bringing up between football and basketball. You wont have a strong senior pulling guard full speed plowing over a hundred pound kid or a blitzing linebacker who has been working out in the weight room for years untouched with a full speed hitting a sophomore 110 pound running back helmet to helmet who is just getting a hand off. That is the difference protecting the kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redwhite90
Yes, there is a safety issue that is more prevalent in football than in basketball, and yes, playing a team like that doesn't hurt you for the playoffs in basketball....

But when you are held to 20 points, and it's not because you played bad, but because the other team is light-years ahead of you talent-wise, what exactly is it helping? When you run your offense right and do all the things you're supposed to do on defense, and you still can't get close, what are you learning? When you play mistake-free basketball and the score isnt anywhere near competitive, what can you take away from that?

And don't say it's a chance to build character, or find out what kind of player you really are in games like this. There are chances for that in every game in every sport.

BTW, I don't care one way or the other if local teams play BW or not. If they want to play BW and the Spartans have an opening on their schedule they want filled, do it. If they don't want to play them anymore, just as good.

You are going off course. All I am saying is that every school should have the right to decide what is best for them. Right? BW did it in football and baseball. I have no problem with that as stated. So why would anyone have a problem if some people dont want to play BW in hoops? They should not be In the AMAC or any type of City League in hoops. It's that simple. If a team like Southern wants to play them do it. If a team like Alco doesn't then dont.

But for those that argue BW is in the AMAC so teams should have to play them is so far removed from reality and any degree of fairness. I wouldn't ask a 135 pound kid to tackle Karson Robinette. I wouldn't ask a 6 foot forward to rebound against a 6'8 dude paid to play at BW. There is more to logic than just a safety concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneRing
They shouldn't be in the area leagues or any of the same leagues with Public Schools, that makes no sense. Schools should not have to play them if they dont what to. I agree with all that. I don't think any of that has anything to do with football..lol

They shouldn't be in the area leagues or any of the same leagues with Public Schools, that makes no sense. Schools should not have to play them if they dont what to. I agree with all that. I don't think any of that has anything to do with football..lol

No it doesn't have anything to do with football at all. I was merely pointing out that no matter the sport each school has the right to make their own choice as to what's best for them because face it, this area never did have a serious league set up where teams are required to play each other. They tried with the AMAC but it became a joke quickly after beING formed. I'm convinced if it wasn't mandated the Allegany County school would not play in all sports. Thank goodness that is mandated or else adults in charge would screw it up too because of longtime egos and hate for one another.

I really don't see what the discussion is anymore at this point. If BW wants to play some local schools to help fill out the schedule they have every right to do so, if local teams don't feel its to their benefit to play and decide not to play they have every right to do so as well. All parties involved will be fine in the long run as long as people are adults about it. As the program develops hopefully over the years the need for games will not be as great for BW. They didn't play well in Delaware and honestly the local games right before might have hurt them as the level of competitiveness was so different but Vermont and Sanford were both really good teams. Two local games with Tucker and Alco to work out some kinks and get ready for Oak Hill Academy on next Friday.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Looking forward to fun games on Friday with FH and Alco and MR vs Southern. MR missing one of their best players hurts their chances but should still be a good game. Neither FH or ALCO are having a good year but the games are always intense and might actually be pretty competitive but I look for FH to pull away in the 2nd half.

End of 3rd quarter in both Oakland and Cumberland.

Fort Hill and Southern both hold 45 to 37 leads over Alco and Mountain Ridge respectively.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT