ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops....

I got the 7 day trial on monument Sports to watch, BW can play with Sunrise from Kansas. I am a little bit surprised as I've seen about 3 games on video and BW wasn't have a shooter from the outside, they rely on fast break and inside scoring all the time.
I dropped the 20 for the year high school package. Not sure if they'll do the acit too or not but they cover a lot of high school games. BW has some good shooters but I think they prefer to get it inside or in transition. Callum Baker is a good shooter, had 3 threes tonight, hit 6 against Southern. Torelli can be a really good outside shooter, more of a spot up shooter though, won't create a shot, Gultekin has a nice stroke but has to get consistent. Bendji Pierre has huge upside as he has great size and a nice stroke as well but just needs confidence

#1 La Lumiere beats #12 Wasatch 53-52 in a great game. Wasatch was up 3 with under a minute left, would have been the first loss to LaLumiere but they battled back and won

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Feels like forever since the publics played a game due to the weather but this next month will be fun. Bob Kirk tourney this weekend, final stretch run leading up to the playoffs for the publics, probably about 3 weeks left or so of regular season. See if Southern or Frankfort can make a run in MD or WV respectively. BW has a big game with Goretti at home coming up next week I believe and then the MD Private School tournament before the ACIT to wrap it up. Good time to be a hoops fan in the area.

The Beeman girl is amazing and they certainly have a very good team but they won't be able to make it out of their region, North Marion and Fairmont are both very good and title contenders. I'm not 100% sure on WV playoff format so I don't know if they have a chance to make it to states or not.

BW senior Olivier Robinson Nkamhoua picked up offers from Wake Forest and Minnesota following the tournament this weekend

At the middle school level there are three teams in the area that can compete Braddock- Alco feeder, Washington - FH feeder, Westmar - MT. Ridge feeder. All 3 of these schools play at another leve in the 8th grade league. Washington 8tg grade team has 1 player and Braddock 8th grade team has 2 players that are real good players. Braddock 7th grade team has 2 players that play at a different level. Washington and Braddock played yesterday at FH and they play again Saturday at Braddock. Good basketball is played between these squads and it’s fun to watch. This area hasn’t had 7th or 8th graders playing at this level for a long time

At the middle school level there are three teams in the area that can compete Braddock- Alco feeder, Washington - FH feeder, Westmar - MT. Ridge feeder. All 3 of these schools play at another leve in the 8th grade league. Washington 8tg grade team has 1 player and Braddock 8th grade team has 2 players that are real good players. Braddock 7th grade team has 2 players that play at a different level. Washington and Braddock played yesterday at FH and they play again Saturday at Braddock. Good basketball is played between these squads and it’s fun to watch. This area hasn’t had 7th or 8th graders playing at this level for a long time

I caught the Washington vs Westmar game last weekend and that big kid (#44) Westmar has is really good. He has a soft touch on the perimeter and can handle the ball too.

BW beats Northern tonight 72-23. BW played without 4 players Nkamhoua, Ramabu, Strite, and Baker. Gultekin also did not start. Nkamhoua and Romabu were out with ankle injuries, hopefully it was just precaution as they'll need them against Goretti

Last edited:
Southern beats Hampshire by 21 Rodeheaver kid had 31 and the Rams have won 10 in a row with their only losses of the year coming against BW and Notre Dame who was the top rated single A team in WV last I saw.

FH has not won a game since Jan 16. They won't win another game this season. Coaches should be embarrassed. It's not like this area has elite basketball everywhere. No one involved at FH cares.

Last edited:
No I meant none of the coaches care. It shows on the court. Posters here care more than those involved with the FH program. Glad the score was posted here or I would not have even known. My fault for not writing what I meant correctly.

Last edited:
FH has not won a game since Jan 16. They won't win another game this season. Coaches should be embarrassed. It's not like this area has elite basketball everywhere. No one involved at FH cares.
I must say that I am a bit baffled at how the season has went for Fort Hill. Did/Do they have any significant injuries?

I must say that I am a bit baffled at how the season has went for Fort Hill. Did/Do they have any significant injuries?

No. They just can't put the ball in the hoop to save their life. Bricks, even 3 foot jumpers are a monumental task. But they have no clue about team basketball or set plays or organization. Like watching a street ball team that can't shoot. Every year the past 6 or so have been the same. They actually have some athletes by local standards but never improve as the season moves on. FH is usually playing their worst ball at the end of the year. Or probably it's that other teams improve while FH never does.

I'm not saying these coaches have loads of talent but one would think they could at least be in the running for a very weak area or AMAC crown occassionally.

But honestly, what sport girls or boys has FH been good at other than pigskin? Maybe track, but that's an individual based thing. It's all about the time put in. Or in other words caring. They put ungodly time into pigskin and we see those results. Gotta say Coach Appel gets the credit for this.

Here is another interesting score from tonight and it is IA West interest:

Hancock 60 Southern Fulton 53

SF is generally one of the stronger teams in that PA region. SF lost on a tip in to North Hagerstown in the championship game of the Berkeley Spring Christmas tournament this season.

I just came on here to post a score that wasn't in the Hagerstown nor Cumberland paper.s It wasn't bragging. It was an in-region IA West game and I thought the score had interest for the board.

Please keep posting this stuff. I didn't know the score if I hadon't seen your link.

But honestly, what sport girls or boys has FH been good at other than pigskin? Maybe track, but that's an individual based thing. It's all about the time put in. Or in other words caring. They put ungodly time into pigskin and we see those results. Gotta say Coach Appel gets the credit for this.

The volleyball team has been pretty damn good for a while.

Always seems (at least in boys sports) that when an area football program is really good, the other sports usually aren't. Whether it's the commitment football takes, the drain is puts on you or sometimes just the attitude that the other sports just aren't as important... that seems to be the case.

I still think that one of the most impressive things a single class has done in this area was the 1990 Allegany class that won back-to-back football and baseball titles. Even then, you had basketball season as a buffer.

What is Fort Hill's current record? Looking down the road at playoff parings, Allegany will most likely be the last seeded team in the section

Here is another interesting score from tonight and it is IA West interest:

Hancock 60 Southern Fulton 53

SF is generally one of the stronger teams in that PA region. SF lost on a tip in to North Hagerstown in the championship game of the Berkeley Spring Christmas tournament this season.
According to Max Preps they beat Hancock by 27 in December

According to SFHS maxpreps and write up in Hagerstown paper, SFHS top four scorers (Justin Morris, Stotler, Josh Morris and Melton) and five starters played. I do recall reading in paper that Hancock had two starters quit around Christmas time. That would have been the time of the tournament. Maybe Hancock has adjusted since that time period. I do know that Hancock did play Clear Spring tough at CS two weeks ago until the game got away in the end. Hancock actually led most of the first half.

According to SFHS maxpreps and write up in Hagerstown paper, SFHS top four scorers (Justin Morris, Stotler, Josh Morris and Melton) and five starters played. I do recall reading in paper that Hancock had two starters quit around Christmas time. That would have been the time of the tournament. Maybe Hancock has adjusted since that time period. I do know that Hancock did play Clear Spring tough at CS two weeks ago until the game got away in the end. Hancock actually led most of the first half.
That's all good. But Southern is winning the West this year unless they have a really bad night.

What is Fort Hill's current record? Looking down the road at playoff parings, Allegany will most likely be the last seeded team in the section
Based on what I could find, these are the current records of the 1A West Section 1 teams. Could be missing a game or two or have incorrect scores.

Allegany 3-11
Fort Hill 4-13
Northern 10-6
Southern 13-2
Mountain Ridge 8-6
Hancock 8-9

You’re hard on kids Brian. No need for it. You must have been a great athlete to be this harsh

But I have not been hard on the kids as I have pointed out this has been going on for a long period of time. Not just this season. Which means it has to be on the coaching to a large degree. That is who im being critical of.

FH will close this season having lost its last 10 games in a row. Apparently I'm the only one who wants to speak up about it. As in no one seems to care, which is more than half the problem. Can't tell me a football team that has lost 3 games in 6 years can't pUT together a half decent bball or baseball season one time with many of the same kids? The talent they had on the baseball team was wasted last spring.

As for saying FH can't make a basket to save their life, well that's the truth. If it sounds more politically correct than OK, FH has major troubles scoring. If saying so is being hard on kids than maybe that is half their problem as nobody wants to tell them the truth. If my son strikes out 4 times in a game I'm going to tell him it's a problem, push him and help him to do better. I dont see that on the Hill. I DO SEE IT ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. Let them lose 10 games in a row and see who cares. That is the difference.

Last edited:
In addition I will say the best game I saw from FH this season was the win over Mountain Ridge. Guess who wasn't coaching that game? I like the head coach as a person even though I really don't talk with him. But there is for certain a repeated problem year in and year out being a poor bball team. Let me ohrase it another way. Any person off the street can coach this FH bball team and do no worse.

Last edited:
At a small rural public school, selling your soul to one sport is difficult on the other sports when those same players are being used. The last two years I see a ton of football players making up the jest of the hoops and baseball teams. So in the off-season when it comes time to work on free throws, the same kids are "forced" to be in the weight room. When it comes time to work on basketball skills, those same kids are "forced" to be at 7-on-7. When it comes time to put a new basketball offense in, those same kids are "forced" to work a football fundraiser at Chick-fil-a. When it comes time to pitch a baseball, those same kids are "forced" to do their 40 times. It goes on and on. Being a football guy, the selfishness in me is OK with it. I love dedication. But it's not fair to put that on someone like the FH bball or baseball coach because the kids put their dedication and time in elsewhere.

Not that this is a new thing either. You ask anyone from the 70s how good of a baseball player Barry Lattimer was at FH. Some have told me that was Barry's best sport and he could have played baseball in college. His old man just happened to be a legendary football coach and there was no way Charlie was going to let his son miss track season to prepare for the fall by playing baseball. But FH was also way more than twice the enrollment then. Fort Hill is without any doubt a football school since the day it was built.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConeyIsland
Do the games that FH won in the Christmas Classic count on their win/loss record?
I’m honestly not sure .

Teams are allowed to play 20 regular season games or 22 with designated optional tournament. You can also play in a three-game tournament as a designated option but then can only play 19 regular season games.

The games in designated optional tournaments do NOT count in region seedings for any team whether they were wins or losses. Games played after February 25th do not count as well. This all follows the winter MPSSAA bulletin.

Reactions: everyones-an-expert
But I have not been hard on the kids as I have pointed out this has been going on for a long period of time. Not just this season. Which means it has to be on the coaching to a large degree. That is who im being critical of.

FH will close this season having lost its last 10 games in a row. Apparently I'm the only one who wants to speak up about it. As in no one seems to care, which is more than half the problem. Can't tell me a football team that has lost 3 games in 6 years can't pUT together a half decent bball or baseball season one time with many of the same kids? The talent they had on the baseball team was wasted last spring.

As for saying FH can't make a basket to save their life, well that's the truth. If it sounds more politically correct than OK, FH has major troubles scoring. If saying so is being hard on kids than maybe that is half their problem as nobody wants to tell them the truth. If my son strikes out 4 times in a game I'm going to tell him it's a problem, push him and help him to do better. I dont see that on the Hill. I DO SEE IT ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. Let them lose 10 games in a row and see who cares. That is the difference.
I’m not saying I don’t agree with you.

I’m not saying I don’t agree with you.
A lot of us agree with Brian. I've talked about this several times. If you think about it in terms of the kids and say that not one kid on a fh bb team has had any scholarship offers since this guy became coach, would that make a difference? Isn't it about providing opportunities for kids to get opportunities for their achievements. FH football players get opportunities because people know the program is good, and they are winning. If you lose all the time year after year nobody is going to come looking...not unless you are a once in a generation player.

That isn’t true. Dalton Gaus has many offers and Tyler Michael as well. That was just 2014. Gaus and Michael are 4 year players and graduates. Burner had both of them. Burner simply needs to have high standards and hold the players to the standards. Build the culture. But Gaus for sure and Michael were legit college level kids. They proved it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT