ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops....

Southern has extended out to 11 points with just over two and a half minutes left.

Frankfort JV's won by 9. Interesting that Southern JV's had won 36 games in a row before losing to Keyser on Friday night. Now they have lost two in a row.
Yes.. someone mentioned that Keyser started 5 juniors on their JV the game they beat Southern but I have no knowledge of that either way. But tonight, Frankfort JV was a better team and deserved the win!

Southern 66 Frankfort 55 F
A well played/physical contest by two talented local teams. Southern was missing a starter but it was a much closer game than the score suggests. Southern was missing a lot of shots early on and Frankfort had a nice mix of banging inside with their big man and some quick guards that hit a few 3’s. Southern the deeper team but a rematch in Short Gap will be fun!

Good to see it was a good competitive game. I think people were early to say basketball was down this year simply because Allegany was down and they had been the perennial local top dog. Looking at it now almost two thirds done in the regular season Southern is who we thought they would be, Frankfort a nice team and a solid contender locally and may make a run to the state tournament, FH is starting to come together and could be tough come playoff time, MR needs to get healthy and could be tough. Not sure who is tough in 1A from down state this year but advancing to College Park would be a really nice season for the local schools

Reactions: Redwhite90
Southern vs Northern in Accident Friday night. If the Rams don't shoot better from outside than they did against Frankfort, there could be an upset in the Igloo! Orendorf and Prior are both talented players that can go off on any night. Can they compete with Southern's depth though? Rivalry game...….. so there is that also. Doubt there will be a seat available by tip-off. I still question every time why we have to pack ourselves into those respective gyms with no parking and inadequate seating while there is a beautiful new large gym at Garrett College located almost midway between the 2 schools. It would also give both teams more experience in a bigger, more spacious backdrop closer to what they may see later in playoffs if they progress that far.

Southern vs Northern in Accident Friday night. If the Rams don't shoot better from outside than they did against Frankfort, there could be an upset in the Igloo! Orendorf and Prior are both talented players that can go off on any night. Can they compete with Southern's depth though? Rivalry game...….. so there is that also. Doubt there will be a seat available by tip-off. I still question every time why we have to pack ourselves into those respective gyms with no parking and inadequate seating while there is a beautiful new large gym at Garrett College located almost midway between the 2 schools. It would also give both teams more experience in a bigger, more spacious backdrop closer to what they may see later in playoffs if they progress that far.
I'm sure the cost to have a regular season game there prohibits such a thing to occur.

I'm sure the cost to have a regular season game there prohibits such a thing to occur.
Well, since Garrett's new gym is housed in the Community Aquatic and Recreation Center which was in part funded by the tax payers of Garrett county, I would think the cost would be minimal. I've heard it may just come down to neither team wanting to give up the advantage of a home game. I just feel if they gave it a chance, it could evolve into a really special event at least twice a year for both programs. For those that have never been, it is a very nice venue, especially for a local "Community" college. Similar to Bobcat Arena .
BTW>….I've also heard all after school activities cancelled for GC schools this evening so I'm guessing tonight's game is postponed.

Well, since Garrett's new gym is housed in the Community Aquatic and Recreation Center which was in part funded by the tax payers of Garrett county, I would think the cost would be minimal. I've heard it may just come down to neither team wanting to give up the advantage of a home game. I just feel if they gave it a chance, it could evolve into a really special event at least twice a year for both programs. For those that have never been, it is a very nice venue, especially for a local "Community" college. Similar to Bobcat Arena .
BTW>….I've also heard all after school activities cancelled for GC schools this evening so I'm guessing tonight's game is postponed.
Admittedly that is a better situation as far as cost goes, but I doubt either school would want to pay to play a regular season game, as well as giving up a home game each.

Friday night hoops:

Allegany 54 Fort Hill 48 Final
Southern 68 Northern 41 Final

Nice win for the Rams. Clear favorite to win 1A West as of now.
Surprise upset win for the Campers.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
It seemed Alco and FH were trending in opposite directions so that is a nice win for Allegany, shows they still have some fight left in them

BW will not travel to NYC this weekend due to the winter storm. Unfortunate due to it being their only real tune up before their tournament at the end of the month. A few local games sprinkled in before thag though.

Has Southern had any competitive games lately? They may want to play BW towards the end of the year to help them prepare for the State Tournament. Losing to BW by 50 could help them get ready for state competition just as much as beating everyone by 25. Playing better competition in bb, will get you ready and make you better.

Has Southern had any competitive games lately? They may want to play BW towards the end of the year to help them prepare for the State Tournament. Losing to BW by 50 could help them get ready for state competition just as much as beating everyone by 25. Playing better competition in bb, will get you ready and make you better.

Getting beat by 50 in no way shape or form makes you a better team in any sport.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I disagree. I think it may help them more than playing a local schedule. They won’t be ready for the speed or talent they will see if they make the finals. They need to get use to seeing the speed, it may take them a quarter to adjust which is too late.

I'll give you that. If you are in a position to think your team can make a run for all the state marbles then yea it would benefit a team like 2019 Southern.

I said this for years about Alco hoops as they swept thru the AMAC and Hyndman. Gets them 20 wins but no cigar. They only played local then looked lost when real competition from the east came around. In the big games their shots wouldn't fall, they would turn it over, etc. Basically do things they haven't done all year.

The game against Frankfort was competitive. Other than that not since they lost back-to-back against Notre Dame and Bishop Walsh.

Looking at the rest of 1A West I don't see any way Southern does not advance to College Park unless MR can pull off an upset. The Washington and Frederick county teams are all bad this year, I guess the wild card is New Era from Baltimore that somehow is in 1A West, no idea anything about them.

Looking at the rest of 1A West I don't see any way Southern does not advance to College Park unless MR can pull off an upset. The Washington and Frederick county teams are all bad this year, I guess the wild card is New Era from Baltimore that somehow is in 1A West, no idea anything about them.
Well, I certainly agree that they have the talent this year for a College Park run. Of course I thought they had a run in them last year until they met up with a scrappy Clear Spring team that went nuts from outside shooting. Southern's incoming junior class this year did improve the bench and make them a much deeper team so they are better prepared for it this year. Still, sometimes these guards go cold shooting and they will need their inside big men to step up if they want to make a deep run. They run a 4 guard set mostly so sometimes hard to pound the rock inside when they are not hitting. But inside game has improved so we shall see. Yeah, another game/scrimmage vs BW to practice against their quickness before tourney time could be beneficial for this team.

Friday basketball finals

Northern 34
Mountain Ridge 60

Allegany 31
Southern 64

Last edited:
Notre Dame is one of the better teams in class A in WV and southern probably should have beat them both times they played but yes that is a nice win.

Southern avenged one of their two losses on the season by defeating Notre Dame by 10 on the road. They also were missing one of their starters for 3 quarters of the game. Clearly the best public school team in the region.

Frankfort lost to Berkeley Springs last night, the falcons beat the Indians by 30 earlier in the year. Not sure if Frankfort was missing anyone or not but that was a shocking result and really hurts the falcons playoffs

They played without J. Knotts who is arguably there best player. Also Berkeley shot 32 free throws while Frankfort shot only 7..... was a very lopsided officiated game.

Reactions: loco09
Couple of changes to the schedule for Day 1 of the BKIT at BW. All games will be on WCBC as well as streamed on Monumental Sports.

January 31st Bob Kirk Showcase Games
3:00 pm - Game 1 MERCERSBURG VS. WASATCH ACADEMY
4:45 pm - Game 2 TAKOMA ACADEMY VS. LA LUMIERE
6:30 pm - Game 3 ROCK CREEK CHRISTIAN VS. SUNRISE CHRISTIAN
8:15 pm - Game 4 VA ACADEMY VS. BISHOP WALSH

Southern avenged one of their two losses on the season by defeating Notre Dame by 10 on the road. They also were missing one of their starters for 3 quarters of the game. Clearly the best public school team in the region.
Unfortunately , I heard that the young man sustained a pretty significant knee injury in the Notre Dame game. Southern has some depth and their 4 guard set allows for adjustments but he will be missed. He was becoming a force in the middle. Prayers for a speedy rehab and recovery.

As a side note former Steelers and Redskins WR Antwaan Randle El is the coach of Virginia Academy, BW's opponent tonight.

I'm actually watching online through Monumental Sports and the crowd has been really good all day, first two games were blow outs, third game with Sunrise and Rock Creek of PG county was a good game and BW currently leads by 8 at the half after playing a little sloppy.

BW rolls in the 2nd half and wins big 82-55. Overall a good start to the tournament.

BW pulled away in the second half. If BW plays good they can play with and beat #12 Sunrise tomorrow. I don’t know if anyone can beat the team from Indiana they are good. It was a real good crowd. The next two days will be great basketball. After the BW game on the radio they said a representative from Illinois came over to look at the stats. They used the Allegany parking lot and shuttled fans to the BW gym.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
BW pulled away in the second half. If BW plays good they can play with and beat #12 Sunrise tomorrow. I don’t know if anyone can beat the team from Indiana they are good. It was a real good crowd. The next two days will be great basketball. After the BW game on the radio they said a representative from Illinois came over to look at the stats. They used the Allegany parking lot and shuttled fans to the BW gym.
A scout that was there needed to look at the stats? What is that going to tell him that he didn't already see? Stats might get the scout to come see you... might... But once there I would hope he wouldn't need stats to tell the better players.

You would think a scout would be more interested in how the player actually plays, mechanics, instincts, hustle, athleticism, etc than simple stats but maybe he just wanted to see them to add to his report. Who knows. The games the next two days should be great. Hopefully BW can pull an upset, I think their best chance is tomorrow as Wasatch and La Lumiere both looked really good

Last edited:
You would think a scout would be more interested in how the player actually plays, mechanics, instimcti, hustle, athleticism, etc than simole stats but maybe he just wanted to see them to add to his report. Who knows. The games the next two days should be great. Hopefully BW can pull an upset, I think their best chance is tomorrow as Wasatch and La Lumiere both looked really good
I got the 7 day trial on monument Sports to watch, BW can play with Sunrise from Kansas. I am a little bit surprised as I've seen about 3 games on video and BW wasn't have a shooter from the outside, they rely on fast break and inside scoring all the time.

Reactions: loco09
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT