ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops....

How many local schools does Bishop Walsh have on it's schedule this year?

They play Mountain Ridge Thursday. They play the local schools one time and FH twice. They also play 3 teams ranked top ten in the Country. Mountain Ridge has a good point guard that is new to the area.

Reactions: beall02
Southern seems to be the class of the area as far as the public schools go so it will be interesting to see what BW does with the rest of the area schools. Mountain Ridge seems to be decent this year. Probably second or third best team in the area behind Southern. Not counting Bishop Walsh in that previous statement.

Did the Cumberland Times-News do any write up similar to what they do for the football season on the basketball season or do they just do one school a day in the scoreboard page like they used to?

Really Southern did what it had to do for the first 6 minutes or so. Forced some turnovers, hit a few shots, got BW into a little foul trouble, Nkamhoua sat most of the game, they just couldn't sustain it once BW started hitting shots. Southern will be fine, they beat Allegany by a worse score than what this game was. Southern and MR should be a good one.

Times News just does the schedule and roster in the scoreboard section

Really Southern did what it had to do for the first 6 minutes or so. Forced some turnovers, hit a few shots, got BW into a little foul trouble, Nkamhoua sat most of the game, they just couldn't sustain it once BW started hitting shots. Southern will be fine, they beat Allegany by a worse score than what this game was. Southern and MR should be a good one.

Times News just does the schedule and roster in the scoreboard section
Southern came out on the losing end but so glad they got to play a team with the talent and speed of BW. That experience is invaluable especially come playoff time if they would happen to make a late run. I doubt they will run into a team with the pure raw talent and size of BW in 1A public. Dunbar May match their speed but doubt their size at every position. I only wish there were more home BW games to be able to see them play more often. I think it is great what BW has done in such a short time. It is the sports world we live in today and they did what they had to do for their school to continue and possibly thrive. I agree Southern will not only be fine but they will be BETTER because of the competition yesterday.

Southern came out on the losing end but so glad they got to play a team with the talent and speed of BW. That experience is invaluable especially come playoff time if they would happen to make a late run. I doubt they will run into a team with the pure raw talent and size of BW in 1A public. Dunbar May match their speed but doubt their size at every position. I only wish there were more home BW games to be able to see them play more often. I think it is great what BW has done in such a short time. It is the sports world we live in today and they did what they had to do for their school to continue and possibly thrive. I agree Southern will not only be fine but they will be BETTER because of the competition yesterday.

I said the same thing when Southern dropped all the local schools in football when they were struggling. Doesn't playing top level teams make you better? So keep that in mind when you delve into how other local area hoops teams are doing. Alco and FH are winless and teams like Hampshire and Keyser are on the ropes.

I said the same thing when Southern dropped all the local schools in football when they were struggling. Doesn't playing top level teams make you better? So keep that in mind when you delve into how other local area hoops teams are doing. Alco and FH are winless and teams like Hampshire and Keyser are on the ropes.
Not really a similar comparison there. The BIG difference with football as opposed to other sports is the player safety issue. Injuries happen in other sports but rarely due to the physical strength of one team over another. When Southern dropped football , it was less about being competitive and more about player safety. They barely had enough players to field a team , not to mention starting 140lb players on the o and d line because there was no one else. They did what they had to do just to survive and carry on. I’m sure if BW decides to go the same route with football, my tune will change. And I dare say that FH will be none too ambitious to play them and drop them as quickly as they did Friendship Academy.

Last edited:
What playoffs bracket will BW play in? Dont tell me md1a.. if so hand em the west region crown today....

BW is a private school, they don't play in the state playoffs with public schools. They will probably play in the private small school state championship. I think the ACIT will be like the playoffs to them.

Look for Douglass to be among the top 1A squads at the end of the season. Last week I saw them play Rock Creek Christian (a top private school) even almost the whole game (before losing close at the end).

BTW - Rock Creek is playing in Cumberland at the Bob Kirk Tournament on January 31st.

Last edited:
BW is a private school, they don't play in the state playoffs with public schools. They will probably play in the private small school state championship. I think the ACIT will be like the playoffs to them.

BW will run through the small school tournament like a wildfire. The BW coach seems to like playing the best comp, so he will probably have them in the regular Maryland Private School Tournament (which takes place the week before the ACIT). It's always a tough field - teams like DeMatha, NCA, McNamara, Rock Creek, etc.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Southern, Mountain Ridge. I hear Mountain Ridge has a new point guard that is good. I think I heard he is the son of the coach at FSU. They play BW tomorrow night.

Not really a similar comparison there. The BIG difference with football as opposed to other sports is the player safety issue. Injuries happen in other sports but rarely due to the physical strength of one team over another. When Southern dropped football , it was less about being competitive and more about player safety. They barely had enough players to field a team , not to mention starting 140lb players on the o and d line because there was no one else. They did what they had to do just to survive and carry on. I’m sure if BW decides to go the same route with football, my tune will change. And I dare say that FH will be none too ambitious to play them and drop them as quickly as they did Friendship Academy.

Agree with your original post. For Southern. Not for others. That's the only clarification needed.

Yes, everyone at Southern believes football is completely different than basketball. that is what happens when teams go winless. It's the opposite at many other area schools where teams are winless in hoops. What is the same for Southern is not the same for other programs. That's all.

If Southern wants to play BW in hoops but not play others in football that's great. Doesn't mean that is the right fit for other schools.

With your FH reference it does not make sense for Southern to play teams from Florida in football. Was great for FH. The sport is different but the needs are the same.

Last edited:
They play Mountain Ridge Thursday. They play the local schools one time and FH twice. They also play 3 teams ranked top ten in the Country. Mountain Ridge has a good point guard that is new to the area.
fh should no more play bw in basketball than bw should play fh in football. they will get beat by 80 if bw holds back.

in Fort Hill's case I don't think it matter who they play in Basketball, they will be lucky to win 3 games.
They should schedule Calvary Christian, Hope for Hyndman and Hancock

FH plays University next, last year they lost 100-46 and 94-48, guarantee you the BW scores will not be that bad.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Playing BW will benefit the likes of Southern and Allegany of the past decade because it let's them play against talent they wouldn't see until a trip to College Park, will they lose, probably but it's one game that you can learn from. Other schools it doesn't make much sense. I look for BW to try to keep a couple local games a year and add more regional opponents as the lrogram builds. I look for BW to adjust to some of the other local schools and maybe not put the JV team out against varsity but definitely limit the minutes of some of the players

Reactions: Redwhite90
So basically what I am getting is southern and ridge are the cream of the crop and all other area teams are not very good? (Other than BW of course)

Yes, everyone at Southern believes football is completely different than basketball. that is what happens when teams go winless. It's the opposite at many other area schools where teams are winless in hoops. What is the same for Southern is not the same for other programs. That's all.
I’m confused by what you are trying to say here. If you are saying that Southern fans enjoyed dropping Fort Hill , ALCO and Mountain Ridge, then you are geatly mistaken. Once again, they were only trying to Allow their football program a chance to survive and recover. It was not done to avoid losses or in hopes of making a playoff. I don’t think you realize how very close the program came to being dropped. Even after those teams were dropped, they still went out and “ got their teeth kicked in” every week but at least thankfully no one that I am aware got seriously injured.
I understand FH and Alco are having down years but that is OK. You can’t always be top dog in every sport. I’m sure their programs will be back soon. These things seem to wax and wane. But, I do still think they should play BW for the reasons I stated. I don’t know him personally, but BW Coach Prete seems like a pretty good guy. I doubt he would keep the same group that played Southern on the court long versus FH or ALCO. He will probably play his B team or perhaps even get the local BW kids in versus their cross town rivals. Either way, I doubt they will lose by much more than FH’s first 3 round playoff opponents this year. I understand though, it’s much more fun to dish out “humble pie” than it is to taste a piece yourself. Been there, done that.

So basically what I am getting is southern and ridge are the cream of the crop and all other area teams are not very good? (Other than BW of course)
Frankfort has some talent as well. Haven’t got to see them this year yet but just going by years past. Decent guard play and a big guy or 2 inside.

I’m confused by what you are trying to say here. If you are saying that Southern fans enjoyed dropping Fort Hill , ALCO and Mountain Ridge, then you are geatly mistaken. Once again, they were only trying to Allow their football program a chance to survive and recover. It was not done to avoid losses or in hopes of making a playoff. I don’t think you realize how very close the program came to being dropped. Even after those teams were dropped, they still went out and “ got their teeth kicked in” every week but at least thankfully no one that I am aware got seriously injured.
I understand FH and Alco are having down years but that is OK. You can’t always be top dog in every sport. I’m sure their programs will be back soon. These things seem to wax and wane. But, I do still think they should play BW for the reasons I stated. I don’t know him personally, but BW Coach Prete seems like a pretty good guy. I doubt he would keep the same group that played Southern on the court long versus FH or ALCO. He will probably play his B team or perhaps even get the local BW kids in versus their cross town rivals. Either way, I doubt they will lose by much more than FH’s first 3 round playoff opponents this year. I understand though, it’s much more fun to dish out “humble pie” than it is to taste a piece yourself. Been there, done that.
Agreed

It does nothing but good, for the local schools to play BW. Besides all the good it does for the local players the place was awesome last night, packed gym and great atmosphere.

If I had to rank the area teams right now I'd have:
1)BW
2) Southern
3) Mountain Ridge
4) Frankfort
5) Northern

Frankfort has some talent as well. Haven’t got to see them this year yet but just going by years past. Decent guard play and a big guy or 2 inside.
I seen frankfort play fort hill last night and they played well. Fort hill cannot run a half court offense. They are athletic for sure but they want to just run and gun. Frankfort has good guard play and have some solid size. They have two guards that came off the bench also and they didn’t skip a beat. I have yet to see southern or ridge play this year but I have heard nothing but good things as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT