ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill 2017 Schedule

Yes it is extremely funny. The list should have it's own thread to demonstrate the stupidity of this argument.

FH booster clubs already have bull roasts, steak feeds, spaghetti feeds, car washes, raffles, bake sales, shrimp feeds, contests, candy sales, you name it. C'mon man, you didn't invent fundraising. Check out the Red Huddle. They do events like this daily, weekly. It's not feasible to see if these groups can raise $15K to play two football games. That type of money doesn't exist in Allegany County. Not in government or fundraisers. Why is that so hard to acknowledge. Booster clubs don't pay for games at public schools yet alone ones that require that type of funding for airplanes, buses, meals and hotels. My god why do I have to repeat this stuff. Get it? Hell no, you don't get it.

The factories are not here any more. Move on.

"My god why do I have to repeat this stuff"

Only if the voice in your head keeps making you do it. You edited your post at 4:20 yesterday to declare the 10th game. The thread was moot at that point and you know it.

I was right all along. Fort Hill's current status demanded the 10th game to complete the season and suddenly after 4PM you admit you got a game - whether paying or patsy doesn't matter. Prior to that it was you moaning about paying "touring private schools" to get the 10th game.

This plastic banana, good time rockin' roll financial diversion by you does not bemuse. Not since Route 9 have I seen someone so desperate after the fact to change the subject from 10 games to 10 grand.

My personal fav on the list is #4.

Playing 9 games "tarnishes the dynasty" and "hurts the FH image." - OMG that's great.

Have all the kids with rings since 2013 turn them in Todd. Alco always plays 9 games so maybe he has a valid point.

You hit the loser trifecta. Find a track where you can bet on just the last three horses in a race and you can clean up.

First it was "FH is 50 points better" - then Dunbar a "first significant opponent.. in almost a decade" - and now "Alco always plays 9 games."

Last edited:
"My god why do I have to repeat this stuff"

Only if the voice in your head keeps making you do it. You edited your post at 4:20 yesterday to declare the 10th game. The thread was moot at that point and you know it.

I was right all along. Fort Hill's current status demanded the 10th game to complete the season and suddenly after 4PM you admit you got a game - whether paying or patsy doesn't matter. Prior to that it was you moaning about paying "touring private schools" to get the 10th game.

This plastic banana, good time rockin' roll financial diversion by you does not bemuse. Not since Route 9 have I seen someone so desperate after the fact to change the subject from 10 games to 10 grand.

Come on Lags, you're smarter than that, can't you figure this 10th game thing out? Methinks Helmick has you outsmarted on this. Do we have to walk you through it? Pay attention to the verbage. "Fort Hill has a 10th game under contract." If you think FH went out and found a "10th game" that wasn't already under contract, because somehow they need to pick up a 10th game to solidify their standing as the king of the hill, well, you're kidding yourself. I'll go out on a limb here and say you were in fact not "right all along."

You need to spend more time up here in the speakeasies with the local watering hole heroes to see how this works. On paper, we've always had a 10th game, it's under contract.

Come on Lags, you're smarter than that, can't you figure this 10th game thing out? Methinks Helmick has you outsmarted on this. Do we have to walk you through it? Pay attention to the verbage. "Fort Hill has a 10th game under contract." If you think FH went out and found a "10th game" that wasn't already under contract, because somehow they need to pick up a 10th game to solidify their standing as the king of the hill, well, you're kidding yourself. I'll go out on a limb here and say you were in fact not "right all along."

You need to spend more time up here in the speakeasies with the local watering hole heroes to see how this works. On paper, we've always had a 10th game, it's under contract.

Boy, this is never ending. So, why don't you walk me through it. Or better yet, perhaps you should walk through this thread again....

As of 1PM Tuesday he didn't have a contract:

FH has received two offers to play October 6. Cathedral Prep out of Erie, PA and Bishop Sullivan out of Virginia Beach.

This would be the week before the team from Florida and Friendship Collegiate the next week. Any schedule takers? Apparently private powers from long distances are the only ones that inquire. Screw the MPSSAA playoffs, let the 1A public school just play them all.

Thank you MPSSAA.

TDHelmick, Tuesday at 1:00 PM

Considering the implications in the aforementioned post by Helmick, I think you need to rethink posting: "On paper, we've always had a 10th game, it's under contract"

Not only is this entire thread meaningless then, but the subject becomes something I want no part of.

Last edited:
Technically, it is a signed contract for a 10th game. We know there is a good chance that game won't happen and there is no assurance the MPSSAA will "help a brother out" by awarding some semblance of a forfeit. So, technically, at this moment, there is a contract for a 10th game.

Now, because the game probably won't happen and because the MPSSAA probably won't hook Fort Hill up by making that team honor the contract, Fort Hill realizes it could, some might say should, be in negotiations with other schools, reasonable schools, to make a 10th game actually happen. Therefore, they are still open to signing with another team.

The point is, on Fort Hill's end, they have secured 10 games under contract. Unfortunately, it looks like only 9 of the 10 teams are agreeing to honor the contract. But alas, what must be conveyed with passion and perhaps legal action to the MPSSAA, is that Fort Hill has a signed contract for a 10th game with a member school.

Who knows, I could be completely off base, that's just my spin.

Technically, it is a signed contract for a 10th game. We know there is a good chance that game won't happen and there is no assurance the MPSSAA will "help a brother out" by awarding some semblance of a forfeit. So, technically, at this moment, there is a contract for a 10th game.

Now, because the game probably won't happen and because the MPSSAA probably won't hook Fort Hill up by making that team honor the contract, Fort Hill realizes it could, some might say should, be in negotiations with other schools, reasonable schools, to make a 10th game actually happen. Therefore, they are still open to signing with another team.

The point is, on Fort Hill's end, they have secured 10 games under contract. Unfortunately, it looks like only 9 of the 10 teams are agreeing to honor the contract. But alas, what must be conveyed with passion and perhaps legal action to the MPSSAA, is that Fort Hill has a signed contract for a 10th game with a member school.

Who knows, I could be completely off base, that's just my spin.

Very nice style and recovery. I like that. You've always been one of my fav reads around here.

So, now to the case of the 'Purloined Contract' - a 10th game hiding in plain sight as Edgar Allen Poe might have it. The timeline:

Todd calls Fairmont Heights mid March to follow up and finds out "FH got bumped out of Week 6." Yep! Fort Hill got royally screwed and Todd has every reason to be screaming mad about it.

Then we go on to read (following the posts in order) that in a similar situation a school was forced to honor its contract "after a year had passed." So, Todd is working with all this back on April 11th along with the consideration that "landing a huge 4A powerhouse as a replacement for Fairmont Heights is not conducive for any 1A school trying to make the playoffs." Fair enough so far.

Of course, there is a forum member who posts, "screw it and just keep 9 games." Anybody come to mind here.

So, now we get discussions "with Earl Hawkins" and "posts on multiple open date boards." Todd is working it out and we are at April 12th.

We now jump to the infamous Tuesday at 1PM where Todd posts that "FH has received two offers to play October 6. Cathedral Prep out of Erie, PA and Bishop Sullivan out of Virginia Beach."

More FH fans "vote for the 9 game schedule" and "Fort Hill is better off going with 9 games." As a result you can see my perspective developing as I post "Purposely playing a 9 game schedule? Yikes!" - more back and forth ensues while Sullivan fills its schedule.

Suddenly, we have "FH has a 10th game under contract. Don't worry about who it is." - all done in an edited fashion and I don't believe this refers to a bumped game from Fairmont. Surely it is a recent reference and perhaps Cathedral Prep hiding in plain sight. Perhaps not. But all factors point to something fairly recent during the flow of this thread. Those are my thoughts.

How much time do you need between an offer and what is considered a confirming contract? A signed fax? An email? In my career I you could wrap up multi-million dollar transactions with a confirming email.

Here is why it is true Lag is a confirmed moron. Forget the money arguments or other issues with what TDHelmick is saying. No school in all of Maryland is going to play two highly rated private schools from all over the country- especially in a row. Maybe DeMatha or maybe Bishop Gorman out of Nevada types will. The fact Lag or anyone for that matter calls FH out for not doing so or risk having their rep tarnished is a dumbass. You sound so stupid it is actually quite funny. What is it you want confirmed Lag? That little ole 1A FH isn't man enough to take on a national schedule against private schools that are factories for D1 recruits? They can't, does that satisfy your hate because Alco can't beat FH anymore?

So FH should take on Bishop Sullivan week 6, Melbourne Catholic week 7 and Friendship Week 8. Is that your contention seriously?

Here is why it is true Lag is a confirmed moron. Forget the money arguments or other issues with what TDHelmick is saying. No school in all of Maryland is going to play two highly rated private schools from all over the country- especially in a row. Maybe DeMatha or maybe Bishop Gorman out of Nevada types will. The fact Lag or anyone for that matter calls FH out for not doing so or risk having their rep tarnished is a dumbass. You sound so stupid it is actually quite funny. What is it you want confirmed Lag? That little ole 1A FH isn't man enough to take on a national schedule against private schools that are factories for D1 recruits? They can't, does that satisfy your hate because Alco can't beat FH anymore?

So FH should take on Bishop Sullivan week 6, Melbourne Catholic week 7 and Friendship Week 8. Is that your contention seriously?

Well, you certainly are someone who is "willing to have their rep tarnished" or "sound stupid." Given that Allegany schedules Fort Hill as their last regular season game every year, you still manage to post that Allegany hasn't scheduled a "significant" opponent in "almost a decade." I guess this accounts for your additional brain freeze in claiming that Alco "always plays 9 games." Maybe you always spend too much time at the pregame kegger and forget they actually play a game during homecoming.

Be that as it may, Todd has a 10th game even though he refuses to say who it is. I guess you missed that too. That was the subject of the thread before it got lost in all the wailing and gnashing of teeth by FH fans who believe they are entitled to a patsy or a 9'er to continue their dynasty's image - notwithstanding that Todd thinks those who use a "radio to hear the game" should have no say.

With all due respect to everyone- until your schedule is stronger than FH's you have no business degrading the schedule of FH. 'Nuff???

Well, you certainly are someone who is "willing to have their rep tarnished" or "sound stupid." Given that Allegany schedules Fort Hill as their last regular season game every year, you still manage to post that Allegany hasn't scheduled a "significant" opponent in "almost a decade." I guess this accounts for your additional brain freeze in claiming that Alco "always plays 9 games." Maybe you always spend too much time at the pregame kegger and forget they actually play a game during homecoming.

Be that as it may, Todd has a 10th game even though he refuses to say who it is. I guess you missed that too. That was the subject of the thread before it got lost in all the wailing and gnashing of teeth by FH fans who believe they are entitled to a patsy or a 9'er to continue their dynasty's image - notwithstanding that Todd thinks those who use a "radio to hear the game" should have no say.

Lag I really can't make heads or tails of what you are trying to point oit in your posts. I will try and keep it simple.

Allegany played a 9 game regular season schedule the last 2 out of 3 years. Got it?

Alco schedules FH every year. FH schedules Alco every year. Not sure what your point is. But everyone knows Alco's football schedule has sucked bad for a long time unless you consider Keyser and FH to be superman. So an Alco fan pointing out that FH should man up is quite a contradiction.

Seasoned Lettuce gave you a clue. I think he is sayiNG what Todd is saying and that FH already has a game under contract goiNG back to last year. My understanding is that they are trying to get that MPSSAA team to honor the contract especially given that no MPSSAA schools will play FH outside this county.

With all due respect to everyone- until your schedule is stronger than FH's you have no business degrading the schedule of FH. 'Nuff???

No. Time to stop the trashing and complaining by the Fort Hill forum fandom. You are not 'little 1A' from poverty town. In consecutive years you have become the behemoth of rural football, with all the honor and strife it carries.

Try some frickin' dignity for a change. Present yourself like your football team and band does, not the 'woe is me' they 'done me wrong' petty cabal of ticket value red shirts.

I bother to take the time to post this as a defender of WMD and Fort Hill, who happens to be an Alco grad. As such, I would find it unseemly to complain about anything if Allegany were on the gifted run as FH currently is.

Lag I really can't make heads or tails of what you are trying to point oit in your posts. I will try and keep it simple.

Allegany played a 9 game regular season schedule the last 2 out of 3 years. Got it?

Alco schedules FH every year. FH schedules Alco every year. Not sure what your point is. But everyone knows Alco's football schedule has sucked bad for a long time unless you consider Keyser and FH to be superman. So an Alco fan pointing out that FH should man up is quite a contradiction.

Seasoned Lettuce gave you a clue. I think he is sayiNG what Todd is saying and that FH already has a game under contract goiNG back to last year. My understanding is that they are trying to get that MPSSAA team to honor the contract especially given that no MPSSAA schools will play FH outside this county.

Well, in your case simple is as simple does. If 2 out of 3 is "always" and if FH isn't "significant," then mathematics and quality have lost all meaning. But in truth, you're like the typical FH fan around here - tossing crap out like some miscreant who wants to commit a crime but doesn't know what crime to commit.

If Todd is using the canceled game as cover for a 9 game season, sad really sad. But I currently refuse to believe it. He is upset at what happened and has been trying to work things out without handing FH a probable loss, which is probably not possible.

It all comes down to whether you bemoan the unfairness in life or accept it as the Serengeti Plain - so be Hamlet and "take Arms against a Sea of troubles" making the game the thing.

This debate is really a moot point. After talking with administration, the BOE isn't going to allow another team from far away on the schedule. Not for them to travel here or FH to travel there. One from Florida was more than enough to pay for. So any issues with such take it up with the county school system folks. Argue with them about cost. Explain to them how easy it is to raise funds a little at a time.

Maybe PPG Glass can reorganize quickly and help out the city tax base or they can have the city raise property taxes a little more to get another game, help pay for a new stadium turf or put some athletic fields at the new Allegany. There, wasn't that easy?

THERE IS NO MONEY HERE for even basic educational needs. I'm not sure how to convince anyone of this that doesn't want to accept it. From a football standpoint, FH needs to be playing another MPSSAA member school. The same group that has taken nearly $200,000 in 4 years of FH playoff money. That's why it's important to make other MPSSAA teams honor a signed contract.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Or, you can "take arms against a sea of troubles" by playing a 9 game schedule rather than scheduling a guaranteed loss from a National Power, making the playoffs, and potentially win a record breaking 5th state title.

Does one go into battle for the sake of going into battle, or do we go into battle with the intention of winning the war. Winning the war in this case is working by legal and acceptable means to navigate a system that punishes your successes and knack for doing the right things to be successful. The MPSSAA doesn't care about the plight of the worthy, in this case Fort Hill, hell, they don't even care if member schools honor signed contracts. Fort Hill already has a schedule that is more than acceptable, in fact, for a 1A school, it's a tough ass schedule. No need to prove anything by taking on a National Power at this point.

Or, you can "take arms against a sea of troubles" by playing a 9 game schedule rather than scheduling a guaranteed loss from a National Power, making the playoffs, and potentially win a record breaking 5th state title.

Does one go into battle for the sake of going into battle, or do we go into battle with the intention of winning the war. Winning the war in this case is working by legal and acceptable means to navigate a system that punishes your successes and knack for doing the right things to be successful. The MPSSAA doesn't care about the plight of the worthy, in this case Fort Hill, hell, they don't even care if member schools honor signed contracts. Fort Hill already has a schedule that is more than acceptable, in fact, for a 1A school, it's a tough ass schedule. No need to prove anything by taking on a National Power at this point.
It seems to me the posters that harp on FH trying to outschedule themselves aren't FH people. Or in some cases just have a personal need that outweighs anything else. Because most of the FH fans I know are very content with the schedule they already have.

There are masses that pray for FH to lose by any means necessary including playing DeMatha 4 times. Just mock my previous words when Melbourne comes here. If FH beats them they were overrated. If FH loses they were overrated. Classic.

Reactions: towpath94
This debate is really a moot point. After talking with administration, the BOE isn't going to allow another team from far away on the schedule. Not for them to travel here or FH to travel there. One from Florida was more than enough to pay for. So any issues with such take it up with the county school system folks. Argue with them about cost. Explain to them how easy it is to raise funds a little at a time.

Maybe PPG Glass can reorganize quickly and help out the city tax base or they can have the city raise property taxes a little more to get another game, help pay for a new stadium turf or put some athletic fields at the new Allegany. There, wasn't that easy?

THERE IS NO MONEY HERE for even basic educational needs. I'm not sure how to convince anyone of this that doesn't want to accept it. From a football standpoint, FH needs to be playing another MPSSAA member school. The same group that has taken nearly $200,000 in 4 years of FH playoff money. That's why it's important to make other MPSSAA teams honor a signed contract.

Last Tuesday you had Erie and Virginia Beach which "would be the week before the team from Florida and Friendship Collegiate the next week. Any schedule takers?" - maybe competition was a factor there rather than just money? And maybe they were just a bus ride back and forth on a Saturday.... But dawdling ended Sullivan. Most assuredly, scheduling a Florida school would be more expensive than playing a 'bus ride' powerhouse if you were open to scheduling anybody before working yourself into this corner.

My best guess is you assured your playoff appearance at any price by getting your 9th game with a school you think you can handle versus a less expensive more local school that you know will beat you - and now you've started your campaign against the state by preaching to the choir in this forum.

Look, it ain't like you don't have a beef with the state - you do, but everybody outside Montgomery County does. Let's face it, Cumberland screwed themselves in the 60's and the state has been piling on ever since. So, this canceled downstate game was not a surprise to you. No way. Hell, they probably reworked all the schedules just to dump you.... and I don't think that didn't cross your mind because after all you beat them 63 - 13. Maybe you should have pulled the dogs earlier or taken a knee the entire second half - FH was that good. Live with it.

Poor Fort Hill. You only have Mountain Ridge, Keyser and Allegany to play locally... well, so far. Keep dog talkin' em though and see if even homecoming becomes a thing of the past. I would have pulled homecoming several years ago. It probably would have improved the insipid attitude of Fort Hill's fan base.

So, what are you going to do next year with even tighter money when you can't afford to bust the bank for some far away game? How then are you going to get 9 games to get into the playoffs? So, with 5 straight state championships under your belt are you going to just sit home after playing 8 games and bitch about it. Come to think of it, when Alco fans say, "We have 8" you can also say you have 8.

"Does one go into battle for the sake of going into battle" - yes being FH, or you pluck out your eyes if you are Oedipus.

Long after the rivalry had any meaning, Allegany went "into battle" at homecoming for the sake of going to battle - even enduring the crosstown mocking of their claims to dignity for doing it.

The maladaptive behavior by red shirts in this forum surrounding homecoming - all during Fort Hill's 4 year championship run - will engender much scheduling schadenfreude for years to come.

I was at the Fort Hill/DeMatha game. A middle aged lady from Ridgeley stood up and cheeredas DeMatha beat Fort Hill, which is fine. But, she damn near had tears in her eyes when she exclaimed "I've been waiting for this all my life."

That's all you need to know folks, people just want to see Fort Hill fail, even if it's at the hands of a Privafe School, nationally recognized powerhouse......and that was 20 years ago....long before this histioric run.

Last Tuesday you had Erie and Virginia Beach which "would be the week before the team from Florida and Friendship Collegiate the next week. Any schedule takers?" - maybe competition was a factor there rather than just money? And maybe they were just a bus ride back and forth on a Saturday.... But dawdling ended Sullivan. Most assuredly, scheduling a Florida school would be more expensive than playing a 'bus ride' powerhouse if you were open to scheduling anybody before working yourself into this corner.

My best guess is you assured your playoff appearance at any price by getting your 9th game with a school you think you can handle versus a less expensive more local school that you know will beat you - and now you've started your campaign against the state by preaching to the choir in this forum.

Look, it ain't like you don't have a beef with the state - you do, but everybody outside Montgomery County does. Let's face it, Cumberland screwed themselves in the 60's and the state has been piling on ever since. So, this canceled downstate game was not a surprise to you. No way. Hell, they probably reworked all the schedules just to dump you.... and I don't think that didn't cross your mind because after all you beat them 63 - 13. Maybe you should have pulled the dogs earlier or taken a knee the entire second half - FH was that good. Live with it.

Poor Fort Hill. You only have Mountain Ridge, Keyser and Allegany to play locally... well, so far. Keep dog talkin' em though and see if even homecoming becomes a thing of the past. I would have pulled homecoming several years ago. It probably would have improved the insipid attitude of Fort Hill's fan base.

So, what are you going to do next year with even tighter money when you can't afford to bust the bank for some far away game? How then are you going to get 9 games to get into the playoffs? So, with 5 straight state championships under your belt are you going to just sit home after playing 8 games and bitch about it. Come to think of it, when Alco fans say, "We have 8" you can also say you have 8.

Everything is your your best guess. Because you have zero experience/knowledge on this subject of FH schedules and what has transpired. Half the stuff you and a few others post is actually the complete opposite of what happened. I'm not guessing. I do these things for free to help kids and the school that was once good to me, not to come here and talk down to folks if that is what it sounds like. At the same time, it's best someone who handles these things separates publicly truth from fiction. You can dislike me or what I have to say but please give credit to someone finally for not hiding behind closed doors like every other admin. Hence the reason I post under my real name.

You are jumping to conclusions that make no sense on many levels. FH has navigated this system extremely well the last 4 years by your own admittance. This year is nothing new with scheduling difficulties. We went through the exact same thing in 2011. If you need to be vindicated by someone verifying that teams carefully watch their schedule to assure championship shots in this stupid system then DING, DING we have a winner!!!! Very correct sir, just look anywhere. I would think this is common knowledge that needed no further verification. I'm really not sure what FH has to prove to someone like you by doing what you think shows they can wear the crown untarnished. Winning titles obviously isn't enough. Stating stupid remarks like playing 9 games tarnishes FH accomplishments. C'mon dude. Playing 9 games, not playing USA Today Top 25 schools, whatever. The goal is to win a state championship through a hideous playoff system. FH obviously knows the formula and it doesn't matter whether you agree with it or not. Just try enjoying the ride.

FYI, the 2017 schedule is exciting and fantastic already by a landslide.

I was at the Fort Hill/DeMatha game. A middle aged lady from Ridgeley stood up and cheeredas DeMatha beat Fort Hill, which is fine. But, she damn near had tears in her eyes when she exclaimed "I've been waiting for this all my life."

That's all you need to know folks, people just want to see Fort Hill fail, even if it's at the hands of a Privafe School, nationally recognized powerhouse......and that was 20 years ago....long before this histioric run.

Which is why this Melbourne CC game is on Saturday night :D
COME SEE FH LOSE will be the ad that pays the bill. Win or lose I anticipate a great match up of conflicting schemes.

Todd, Some of us appreciate the job you do! Thank you! Looking forward to an exciting season...no matter what! These threads are a bit comical though...

Reactions: GenSneaky
Everything is your your best guess. Because you have zero experience/knowledge on this subject of FH schedules and what has transpired. Half the stuff you and a few others post is actually the complete opposite of what happened. I'm not guessing. I do these things for free to help kids and the school that was once good to me, not to come here and talk down to folks if that is what it sounds like. At the same time, it's best someone who handles these things separates publicly truth from fiction. You can dislike me or what I have to say but please give credit to someone finally for not hiding behind closed doors like every other admin. Hence the reason I post under my real name.

You are jumping to conclusions that make no sense on many levels. FH has navigated this system extremely well the last 4 years by your own admittance. This year is nothing new with scheduling difficulties. We went through the exact same thing in 2011. If you need to be vindicated by someone verifying that teams carefully watch their schedule to assure championship shots in this stupid system then DING, DING we have a winner!!!! Very correct sir, just look anywhere. I would think this is common knowledge that needed no further verification. I'm really not sure what FH has to prove to someone like you by doing what you think shows they can wear the crown untarnished. Winning titles obviously isn't enough. Stating stupid remarks like playing 9 games tarnishes FH accomplishments. C'mon dude. Playing 9 games, not playing USA Today Top 25 schools, whatever. The goal is to win a state championship through a hideous playoff system. FH obviously knows the formula and it doesn't matter whether you agree with it or not. Just try enjoying the ride.

FYI, the 2017 schedule is exciting and fantastic already by a landslide.

"Winning titles obviously isn't enough" - it is not only not enough, it isn't the charge of a school activity either - although a similar disgusting attitude can be found with the Alco band. The foundation of any high school sports program isn't "to win a state championship through a hideous playoff system." It is to enhance the overall experience of the student body as a whole and prepare them for adulthood.

Besides, you are the system and a major player in it. Creating a straw dog to argue against doesn't vindicate you or prove somebody else ignorant of the situation - and Fairmont et al weren't going to say, "Thank you sir, may I have another." Your "formula" has consistently left you with fewer options which you constantly carped about... well, until now. Now it's time to sell your 9'er. First by complaining it existed and then declaring the "schedule is exciting and fantastic."

I will leave it up to your amen chorus to cheer the results.

Once again, your comments are unbecoming of a storied program at the pinnacle of its sport. Enjoy your regular season 9'er that Todd could have avoided. I suggest Fort Hill get its own traveling shaman to ward off the negative karma the 'gods of football' may hand you.

If I or anyone were actually advocating the easiest way out, you would have a point. But that's not what this is. Being smart at this point, that's what's important, because FH has already crafted a schedule that is way more demanding than it has to be. They didn't choose the path of least resistance, but they also aren't going to choose an impossible path. They will do what is in the best interest of the kids, first and foremost.

You're obviously highly intelligent, your use of words and references to poems and literary characters is far above the head of most everyone on here. Despite that, you're not winning this argument, at this point, you seem to be striving to be the biggest azz you can be.

Use the power for good man, especially at your stage of the game. Going after Helmick, a guy who is balls deep in this for free and who is willing to put it all out there, a guy with a Heisman Vote and his own businesses but stil with a passion for helping kids, all kids, and a program succeed, it's stupid. All for the sake of being a contrarion. Oh well, to each his own.

Fort Hill's gonna do what is best for Fort Hill's kids, period.

Last edited:
Let me see. Who knows what's best in this process? The people that have navigated FH through this historic dynasty run or an Allegany first fan that disapproves of the decisions made?

Best advice is to let the people who helped navigate this run continue to decide what is best.

Strive for Five!

If I or anyone were actually advocating the easiest way out, you would have a point. But that's what this is. Being smart at this point, that's what's important, because FH has already crafted a schedule that is way more demanding than it has to be. They didn't choose the path of least resistance, but they also aren't going to choose an impossible path. They will do what is in the best interest of the kids, first and foremost.

You're obviously highly intelligent, your use of words and references to poems and literary characters is far above the head of most everyone on here. Despite that, you're not winning this argument, at this point, you seem to be striving to the biggest azz you can be.

Use the power for good man, at your stage of the game. Going after Helmick, a guy who is balls deep in this for free and who is willing to put it all out there, a guy with a Heisman Vote and his own businesses but stil with a passion for helping kids, all kids, and a program succeed, it's stupid. All for the sake of being a contrarion. Oh well, to each his own.

Fort Hill's gonna do what is best for Fort Hill's kids, period.

Everything I post is what I believe. I am not trying to specifically go after Todd or win an argument. What I write is what I am motivated to write, nothing else - and yes, sometimes I am an ass. I'll just have to live with that. And to Mr. Helmick, I sincerely apologize for those moments.

I also belong to the 'been there, done that' crowd. I started programs for the more elite young players, raised money and put up with rigged systems and idiot parents. I did it for 10 years. I was never an elite athlete like Todd nor did I rub shoulders at his level. But, I do understand his travails of volunteerism.

Steadfastly though, I don't think high school sports should be about winning championships through some scheduling "formula" whereupon a powerhouse team beats half the competition to death or schedules fewer games to avoid a loss. How is that "best" for the young men of Fort Hill?

And, I do understand the development of successful young men. As I related years ago, I have two sons who are graduates of the Virginia Military Institute and both have highly successful careers. I can tell you that their enduring memories are about having played the game and met the challenges, not about the trophies they picked up along the way.

Let me see. Who knows what's best in this process? The people that have navigated FH through this historic dynasty run or an Allegany first fan that disapproves of the decisions made?

Best advice is to let the people who helped navigate this run continue to decide what is best.

Strive for Five!

Well, the big ole Fort Hill fish is navigating in a ever shrinking pond. You're running out of guppies to swallow. You can dodge having to live in a river only so long.

Everything I post is what I believe. I am not trying to specifically go after Todd or win an argument. What I write is what I am motivated to write, nothing else - and yes, sometimes I am an ass. I'll just have to live with that. And to Mr. Helmick, I sincerely apologize for those moments.

I also belong to the 'been there, done that' crowd. I started programs for the more elite young players, raised money and put up with rigged systems and idiot parents. I did it for 10 years. I was never an elite athlete like Todd nor did I rub shoulders at his level. But, I do understand his travails of volunteerism.

Steadfastly though, I don't think high school sports should be about winning championships through some scheduling "formula" whereupon a powerhouse team beats half the competition to death or schedules fewer games to avoid a loss. How is that "best" for the young men of Fort Hill?

And, I do understand the development of successful young men. As I related years ago, I have two sons who are graduates of the Virginia Military Institute and both have highly successful careers. I can tell you that their enduring memories are about having played the game and met the challenges, not about the trophies they picked up along the way.

I honestly understand, even appreciate, all that you've said. But, not wanting to play a 3rd powerhouse, and I mean powerhouse, for what is still a small school program, is not manipulating a system. Playing no powerhouses, and finding 10 cupcakes to still garner a satisfactory amount of playoff points would be manipulating the system. I think that's what's so irritating about all this, you keep harping on that 1 thing you disagree with (not agreeing to play Sullivan or Erie Cathedral Prep), when you know damn well Fort Hill is doing 99 things right.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I know what it's like to enjoy a good argument, but it's going beyond that, you're throwing unnecessary shade at something I really think deep down you appreciate. As a former hometown boy, you gotta be proud of what Fort Hill's doing, and the good they're doing goes far beyond winning state championships. Enjoy it.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
I honestly understand, even appreciate, all that you've said. But, not wanting to play a 3rd powerhouse, and I mean powerhouse, for what is still a small school program, is not manipulating a system. Playing no powerhouses, and finding 10 cupcakes to still garner a satisfactory amount of playoff points would be manipulating the system. I think that's what's so irritating about all this, you keep harping on that 1 thing you disagree with (not agreeing to play Sullivan or Erie Cathedral Prep), when you know damn well Fort Hill is doing 99 things right.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I know what it's like to enjoy a good argument, but it's going beyond that, you're throwing unnecessary shade at something I really think deep down you appreciate. As a former hometown boy, you gotta be proud of what Fort Hill's doing, and the good they're doing goes far beyond winning state championships. Enjoy it.

I am very proud of Fort Hill's young men and fully admire the coaching staff, but I don't always enjoy a good argument. In fact, I wish I had worded some of this discussion a bit differently.

But still, my position is not going to change. By virtue of 4 consecutive championships and thorough beatings of most opponents, the "small school program" moniker does not apply. Fort Hill is shrinking its schedule because its success has defined its opponents and rather than face them, it is backing in.

As to other things.... When I go to the Fort Hill website I am thrilled at its class and style. You can feel the school pride. The students love their school and well they should.

Let's try sticking with something we agree upon. Your statement above is correct in my eyes. Which is what makes this whole system so irritating. Everybody in the MPSSAA is trying to schedule themselves into the playoffs. EVERYBODY! West Virginia is no different and they go 1-16 with the playoffs. This is about grown adults trying to make sure their kids get a participation trophy. How is that "best" for the young men of any school? The lesson taught is take the easy road or you won't get what you want. But I assure you this is how the schedule/playoff game works big time. Why do you think I rag on the MPSSAA daily?

So what have I done about it? I have bent over backwards pushing the MPSSAA to implement a system where almost everyone makes the playoffs. When that happens good teams will start playing more good teams without fear of losing and getting outpointed for a playoff spot. I have never pushed for local teams to be forced to play FH. I only push for them to not take a playoff spot away from FH should they get that chance.

It actually is a great compliment however when people speak up and demand that FH not do with 150 other MPSSAA schools are doing. And FH is not trying to play 9 games. You can read the open dates boards as we look for a replacement for a game already under contract. FH just isn't going to play a national power private school long distance. Don't confuse this with wanting only 9 games. Had we not already put the Florida game in place yes we probably would have taken Bishop Sullivan. FH cannot play two of them especially back-to-back. There is no need to discuss that any further. You can disagree if you want.

Just trust what I say is true in that FH, even if they wanted to, could not afford to play another team from far away. Even if this team from Virginia Beach or Erie went 0-10 last year...THE ALLEGANY COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEM DOESN'T HAVE THE MONEY.

Did playing 9 games tarnish coach Hansels first season?

By Lags assessment, and correct me if I'm wrong, say the California defending Class 8A title team wanted to fill the 10th game for FH. Are you saying FH should play it and pay for 120 players to fly and stay here? I'm just checking to see if there is a scenario where you draw a limit.

Last edited:
I am very proud of Fort Hill's young men and fully admire the coaching staff, but I don't always enjoy a good argument. In fact, I wish I had worded some of this discussion a bit differently.

But still, my position is not going to change. By virtue of 4 consecutive championships and thorough beatings of most opponents, the "small school program" moniker does not apply. Fort Hill is shrinking its schedule because its success has defined its opponents and rather than face them, it is backing in.

As to other things.... When I go to the Fort Hill website I am thrilled at its class and style. You can feel the school pride. The students love their school and well they should.
C'mon, Lag. A 1A school is still a 1A school. Winning titles doesn't make a school any bigger. Are you suggesting state title winners should avoid playing schools in their own class the following year? Who in 1A plays a tougher schedule than FH??

Let's try sticking with something we agree upon. Your statement above is correct in my eyes. Which is what makes this whole system so irritating. Everybody in the MPSSAA is trying to schedule themselves into the playoffs. EVERYBODY! West Virginia is no different and they go 1-16 with the playoffs. This is about grown adults trying to make sure their kids get a participation trophy. How is that "best" for the young men of any school? The lesson taught is take the easy road or you won't get what you want. But I assure you this is how the schedule/playoff game works big time. Why do you think I rag on the MPSSAA daily?

So what have I done about it? I have bent over backwards pushing the MPSSAA to implement a system where almost everyone makes the playoffs. When that happens good teams will start playing more good teams without fear of losing and getting outpointed for a playoff spot. I have never pushed for local teams to be forced to play FH. I only push for them to not take a playoff spot away from FH should they get that chance.

It actually is a great compliment however when people speak up and demand that FH not do with 150 other MPSSAA schools are doing. And FH is not trying to play 9 games. You can read the open dates boards as we look for a replacement for a game already under contract. FH just isn't going to play a national power private school long distance. Don't confuse this with wanting only 9 games. Had we not already put the Florida game in place yes we probably would have taken Bishop Sullivan. FH cannot play two of them especially back-to-back. There is no need to discuss that any further. You can disagree if you want.

Just trust what I say is true in that FH, even if they wanted to, could not afford to play another team from far away. Even if this team from Virginia Beach or Erie went 0-10 last year...THE ALLEGANY COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEM DOESN'T HAVE THE MONEY.

I commend you on your efforts to change the system and it has dawned on me that you - above all others - have probably not been able to fully enjoy the team's success because year after year you deal with this crap.

As a FH guy I just want to clarify my position I stated earlier in this thread about playing 10 games. In fact I think the exact words were "the seniors deserve to play 10 games" after the 2 teams from VA and PA were mentioned. I didn't mean that we should accept playing either of those teams. As others have said it would be a killer to play one of those teams right before the FL team.

I am just looking out for the young men on the team (as many others in this thread do as well). A 9 game schedule leaves no wiggle room for a situation to arise that we have dealt with the last few years. Either Silver Oak or another school to not be able to play a game or the weather/field conditions that killed the game in Baltimore a few years ago. I know the other reasons behind that game not being played but the point is you never know what could happen and if one of the 9 doesn't get played then what?

Also with the great run we've had recently I think sometimes we think that a deep playoff run is a certainty. As many years of FH graduates, players and fans can attest to, it is not. It is just MY OPINION that we do everything that we can to assure that the young men play every game that they can. They deserve it.

I also see the flip side of scheduling out of the playoffs means less games and I am not advocating for that. We all know how much the young men in south end dream of the day they run down those 52 steps wearing the red and white. They work for years to be one of the "kings of south end". We know that almost every young man that put a helmet on with the FH on the side of the helmet would give anything for one more game. I am just saying the 2 years (for most) that they get the chance to live out their childhood dream should be maximized.

C'mon, Lag. A 1A school is still a 1A school. Winning titles doesn't make a school any bigger. Are you suggesting state title winners should avoid playing schools in their own class the following year? Who in 1A plays a tougher schedule than FH??

The subject has been about the realities of Fort Hill's success bringing on ever increasing competition willing to play them. Even if the state changed the playoff system, Fort Hill would still find themselves forced to schedule powerhouses during the regular season. Thank God for Alco, Mountain Ridge and Keyser - if not for them, FH would have a much greater problem already. In reality, they could be a 2A school with a 4 year championship run and suffer the exact same problems to a greater degree.

Wtf even is this thread! We are just talking about high school football right? Our area is consistently doing pretty well, right? Can't we all just get along? You would think we were positioning ourselves for a national title or something. It's a new group of kids playing each year that deserve to have their own moments, and memories.

Sounds like nothing but a bunch of Al Bundy's trying to live vicariously through the next generation. Be proud of our area, and enjoy our recent success.

As a FH guy I just want to clarify my position I stated earlier in this thread about playing 10 games. In fact I think the exact words were "the seniors deserve to play 10 games" after the 2 teams from VA and PA were mentioned. I didn't mean that we should accept playing either of those teams. As others have said it would be a killer to play one of those teams right before the FL team.

I am just looking out for the young men on the team (as many others in this thread do as well). A 9 game schedule leaves no wiggle room for a situation to arise that we have dealt with the last few years. Either Silver Oak or another school to not be able to play a game or the weather/field conditions that killed the game in Baltimore a few years ago. I know the other reasons behind that game not being played but the point is you never know what could happen and if one of the 9 doesn't get played then what?

Also with the great run we've had recently I think sometimes we think that a deep playoff run is a certainty. As many years of FH graduates, players and fans can attest to, it is not. It is just MY OPINION that we do everything that we can to assure that the young men play every game that they can. They deserve it.

I also see the flip side of scheduling out of the playoffs means less games and I am not advocating for that. We all know how much the young men in south end dream of the day they run down those 52 steps wearing the red and white. They work for years to be one of the "kings of south end". We know that almost every young man that put a helmet on with the FH on the side of the helmet would give anything for one more game. I am just saying the 2 years (for most) that they get the chance to live out their childhood dream should be maximized.

I know it's a horrible situation. Doubly horrible because success by a high school team should not bring about misery - at least that is how we feel in our hearts. But in real life the seeds of pain and failure are sown into every success - over and over.

As a parent, I remember my sons getting thrown to the competitive wolves many times - it hurt me to watch. To them, their struggles were their most shining moments. All those sports challenges added to their experiences of the VMI honor code, rat line, austerity of barracks and the 'break out' on a muddy hill... all those things - by their own admission - gave them the ability to face challenges, fight through defeat and be the men they are.

I believe all young men want and need struggle for some glorious good. They do hold cheaply anything less. Crushing defeat is always a possibility, but character is always an outcome. I would schedule a game.

Reactions: GenSneaky
Wtf even is this thread! We are just talking about high school football right? Our area is consistently doing pretty well, right? Can't we all just get along? You would think we were positioning ourselves for a national title or something. It's a new group of kids playing each year that deserve to have their own moments, and memories.

Sounds like nothing but a bunch of Al Bundy's trying to live vicariously through the next generation. Be proud of our area, and enjoy our recent success.

The Al Bundy's around here are the 'long since' locker-room greybeards, chanting 'strive for five' so they can do an emotional three-beer-later claim to the football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT