ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill 2017 Schedule

Steadfastly though, I don't think high school sports should be about winning championships through some scheduling "formula" whereupon a powerhouse team beats half the competition to death or schedules fewer games to avoid a loss. How is that "best" for the young men of Fort Hill?

Let's try sticking with something we agree upon. Your statement above is correct in my eyes. Which is what makes this whole system so irritating. Everybody in the MPSSAA is trying to schedule themselves into the playoffs. EVERYBODY! West Virginia is no different and they go 1-16 with the playoffs. This is about grown adults trying to make sure their kids get a participation trophy. How is that "best" for the young men of any school? The lesson taught is take the easy road or you won't get what you want. But I assure you this is how the schedule/playoff game works big time. Why do you think I rag on the MPSSAA daily?

Just trust what I say is true in that FH, even if they wanted to, could not afford to play another team from far away. Even if this team from Virginia Beach or Erie went 0-10 last year...THE ALLEGANY COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEM DOESN'T HAVE THE MONEY.

You should rephrase this to say everyone in Western Maryland is trying to schedule themselves into the playoffs. This is a Western Maryland mentality. Downstate you HAVE to play everybody. It's a matter of improving and beating the other teams in your division. When Middletown calls Fort Hill looking for a game and you don't call back until 5 days later, that's not what happens in PG, Moco and SoMD. You can't avoid the good teams in your region. If your strategy is to "schedule your team into the playoffs" - I have zero problem with that, but be clear that doesn't happen in other parts of the state.

C'mon, Lag. A 1A school is still a 1A school. Winning titles doesn't make a school any bigger. Are you suggesting state title winners should avoid playing schools in their own class the following year? Who in 1A plays a tougher schedule than FH??

2017 looks like a tougher schedule than FH usually plays, but why are you patting yourselves on the back over the type of schedule that most teams in the state play every season? This season the teams you added are better than Capitol Christian and Silver Oak but they are still 1A level schools, those possibly could be difficult games, congratulations! This is what most schools do every season, and then have to play three more tough games in the playoffs. FH faces Boonsboro and a barely .500 Fairmont Heights in the playoffs.

This fall Fairmont Heights is playing two 3A playoff teams from last year and three 4A schools. And this fall Surrattsville is opening up with Wise (4A Champs), Oxon Hill (3A Playoff team), and E Roosevelt (4A Playoff team). FH hasn't played a team the caliber of Wise or E Roosevelt probably since the DeMatha game, and have repeatedly turned down the opportunity to play quality 4A opponents.

Here we go again.
Too bad multiple 4A PG County schools dodged FH. Todd even called them out by name. Downstate teams avoid FH like the plague. I never said it had to do with being afraid. Whatever the reason, they had open dates and dodged. It was this way with at least 40 schools "downstate".

Besides that PG County schools dont schedule each other. They are forced to play each other by the County. Much lIke Mtn Ridge is forced to play Alco and FH.

Last edited:
You should rephrase this to say everyone in Western Maryland is trying to schedule themselves into the playoffs. This is a Western Maryland mentality. Downstate you HAVE to play everybody. It's a matter of improving and beating the other teams in your division. When Middletown calls Fort Hill looking for a game and you don't call back until 5 days later, that's not what happens in PG, Moco and SoMD. You can't avoid the good teams in your region. If your strategy is to "schedule your team into the playoffs" - I have zero problem with that, but be clear that doesn't happen in other parts of the state.

"When Middletown calls Fort Hill looking for a game and you don't call back until 5 days later"

Exactly! Anything beyond the above statement is pointless.. Complaining that now your only options are playing private schools after turning down schools in your own region thus backing yourself into a corner, is counterproductive if not disingenuous. I think its a bit hypocritical to cry and complain about teams not playing you when there are certain teams in your own region you run from on a yearly basis...

Last edited:
Reactions: BoyznBlue
"When Middletown calls Fort Hill looking for a game and you don't call back until 5 days later"

Exactly! Anything beyond the above statement is pointless.. Complaining that now your only options are playing private schools after turning down schools in your own region thus backing yourself into a corner, is counterproductive if not disingenuous. I think its a bit hypocritical to cry and complain about teams not playing you when there are certain teams in your own region you run from on a yearly basis...

The gathering success of FH was culminated last year by blasting everyone except South Hagerstown in the regular season and Allegany in the Regional Final. Trying to schedule Fort Hill into the playoffs this year was understandably fraught with difficulty. I do not envy Todd in the least bit.

But scheduling problems are not new to Fort Hill and after last year this situation was virtually guaranteed. It may be down now to limited options and no money, but I have no doubt that Fort Hill could have played a full 10 games.

Lastly, there seems to be a lot of 'hanging one's hat' on a contract issue. But it's hard for anyone not in the inner circle of Sentinel supporters to fully accept the conglomeration of events in March as the defining issue that dictates a 9 game season.

LOL
This is not directed at any one person, but many post things as fact as if they were involved in the process. When what they claim is the complete opposite of what actually happened. It does make for good reading though, I'll give it that. "Like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our FH lives."

I will be interested to see where the 2017 FH schedule ranks with the sites that do those kind of things. Even more interesting is that there is still this thing called playoffs. Granted Maryland's playoff system is inept, but regardless of the regular season you still have to play your way to a championship in the post season. But who said FH is only playing 9 games when it's the first week of May? Relax. MPSSAA contracts with other MPSSAA schools don't magically just go away.

Also of note, FH could have dumped Melbourne CC and Friendship Collegiate for far less competitive teams while we were in the process of making those games happen. Contracts don't get signed in 24 hours. I wish they did though.

In time I will post all the schools that had an open date when FH did but rejected the offer. Lots of 3A and 4A size playoff teams on that list. Lots. Seeing there aren't any 3A or 4A teams in Western Maryland you can go ahead and assume they were from Downstate. Many of those replies utilized the phrase "schedule overload". Never assume anything.

Reactions: towpath94
The gathering success of FH was culminated last year by blasting everyone except South Hagerstown in the regular season and Allegany in the Regional Final. Trying to schedule Fort Hill into the playoffs this year was understandably fraught with difficulty. I do not envy Todd in the least bit.

But scheduling problems are not new to Fort Hill and after last year this situation was virtually guaranteed. It may be down now to limited options and no money, but I have no doubt that Fort Hill could have played a full 10 games.

I will agree with you here Lag. FH has scheduling difficulties on many levels. The first being FH is not in a league when most everyone just outside this area is. FH has never played an area schedule either. When I was in high school FH never thought about playing Northern, Southern, Beall, Valley, Bruce, Smithsburg, Boonsboro, etc. But we had this thing called the CVAL or we would have been in big scheduling trouble then too.

The second thing you are correct on being that when you have won 54 out of 55 games the scheduling loop gets cut. I have teased Coach Appel for years that if he would just post 2-8 records for a couple of years the scheduling problems go away. He fails to see the humor. No one in Fort Hill's weight class outside of Allegany County is going to tangle, so you have to go up in weight class. And not just weight class but top contenders in a higher weight class. I have used this same analogy many times but Sugar Ray Leonard was never a great fighter because never took on Mike Tyson or Larry Holmes or any heavyweight contenders. Size doesn't matter to many here if you are a good fighter.

Reactions: GenSneaky
I will agree with you here Lag. FH has scheduling difficulties on many levels. The first being FH is not in a league when most everyone just outside this area is. FH has never played an area schedule either. When I was in high school FH never thought about playing Northern, Southern, Beall, Valley, Bruce, Smithsburg, Boonsboro, etc. But we had this thing called the CVAL or we would have been in big scheduling trouble then too.

The second thing you are correct on being that when you have won 54 out of 55 games the scheduling loop gets cut. I have teased Coach Appel for years that if he would just post 2-8 records for a couple of years the scheduling problems go away. He fails to see the humor. No one in Fort Hill's weight class outside of Allegany County is going to tangle, so you have to go up in weight class. And not just weight class but top contenders in a higher weight class. I have used this same analogy many times but Sugar Ray Leonard was never a great fighter because never took on Mike Tyson or Larry Holmes or any heavyweight contenders. Size doesn't matter to many here if you are a good fighter.

Surprisingly again, we find ourselves agreeing on much - though the boxing analogy just doesn't really apply here I'm afraid. It isn't an issue of talent. Fort Hill has had size and speed far beyond a statistical 1A norm. It would be as if Sugar Ray Leonard were as big as Sugar Ray Robinson but magically didn't weight out as much.

I mean... for real here. Look at the championship game again as I did: when it was important, Fort Hill cut through Havre de Grace like butter - inside and outside.

"But who said FH is only playing 9 games when it's the first week of May?"
- So cool. I love it. Hey... I don't care if - in boxing parlance - it's a member of the 'bum of the month club' as they say. Give da boyz 10 games.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
LOL
This is not directed at any one person, but many post things as fact as if they were involved in the process. When what they claim is the complete opposite of what actually happened. It does make for good reading though, I'll give it that. "Like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our FH lives."

I will be interested to see where the 2017 FH schedule ranks with the sites that do those kind of things. Even more interesting is that there is still this thing called playoffs. Granted Maryland's playoff system is inept, but regardless of the regular season you still have to play your way to a championship in the post season. But who said FH is only playing 9 games when it's the first week of May? Relax. MPSSAA contracts with other MPSSAA schools don't magically just go away.

Also of note, FH could have dumped Melbourne CC and Friendship Collegiate for far less competitive teams while we were in the process of making those games happen. Contracts don't get signed in 24 hours. I wish they did though.

In time I will post all the schools that had an open date when FH did but rejected the offer. Lots of 3A and 4A size playoff teams on that list. Lots. Seeing there aren't any 3A or 4A teams in Western Maryland you can go ahead and assume they were from Downstate. Many of those replies utilized the phrase "schedule overload". Never assume anything.

Just curious, In the past on this board, you have said on more than one occasion, that FH isn't even looking at 4A schools. Has that policy changed?

Yes, this is the main problem. If you notice the Moco schedule is released almost immediately after the season ends. Because it's not difficult to find 1 game. FH and Alco have to find 6 games every year.

What "top contenders in a higher weight class" has FH played recently? Lol

To many people are giving someone (Todd) a hard time over WORKING FOR OUR CHILDREN. If I had to hear this shit day in and day out from individuals not doing but talking shit about genuine effort, I would just give up. Todd and Todd are TRYING, and succeeding. I want to see competitive football, but unfortunately we're a 1a football school. Tho we have our former big school traditions, I'm comfortable we have to be reasonable.

No one can deny during this 4 year span that we were 1 or 2 injuries away from a very different season's outcome. But hey, that's 1a football. You all aren't gonna be happy until some power house with 20 D1 recruits come here and destroy our team, and maybe someone's complete future from a injury. All for high school football, and because it's easy to hate success than to support our local community. Shame on you

Just curious, In the past on this board, you have said on more than one occasion, that FH isn't even looking at 4A schools. Has that policy changed?

I always have agreed with you and bigsavage to a degree that 4A doesn't mean good or better. The Walter Johnson's of the world couldn't compete at 1A. I get that as we are not stupid. There are schools where size does matter (70+ man rosters) and schools where it doesn't. I'm of the opinion that FH should definitely schedule really good teams no matter what class they are in but you just cannot load up on them for playoff reasons. You can take a few but not a bunch. Private schools however mean nothing when it comes to enrollment.

So to rephrase I would never literally say FH won't scheduling 4A schools, they just were not going to add 4A powers with significant talent numbers. That is one place some may disagree with me but if you are platooning kids across the board on offense and defense, yes that is a monster unlevel playing field. That is why nobody goes both ways at the next level outside of a rare Heisman type dude. Just to ramble more (I type very fast). In 2010 I was in Martinsburg for the last time FH played the Dawgs. I sat in the press box. I remember leaning over to one of the FH radio guys after the first series and saying "did you just see that, Martinsburg's entire offense just left the field and an entirely new set of kids came on the field to play defense, this ain't good." It was actually a real tight game midway through the 2nd quarter and even into the 3rd quarter. But I remember watching Martinsburg sending in a whole new group of 10 or 11 kids each change of possession. By the end of the game the FH kids tongues were hanging out and the Dawgs mauled them at that point. Numbers definitely matter. But some 4A schools still only have less than a 40 man roster so it depends.

Yes, this is the main problem. If you notice the Moco schedule is released almost immediately after the season ends. Because it's not difficult to find 1 game. FH and Alco have to find 6 games every year.

What "top contenders in a higher weight class" has FH played recently? Lol

A better question:
Why are you still comparing FH to top contenders in a heavy weight class? Don't get me wrong, it's a great compliment. Although you will see that Melbourne CC is a heavyweight contender. Check back in October so I can say "I told you so". This is a private program with a great 2nd year head coach who is trying to take them national like their county rival Cocoa who has been raking in all the Brevard County top talent up to this point. I still have connections in Florida and have been warned. This is not the Melbourne CC team of 2 years ago by a landslide.

Last edited:
To many people are giving someone (Todd) a hard time over WORKING FOR OUR CHILDREN. If I had to hear this shit day in and day out from individuals not doing but talking shit about genuine effort, I would just give up. Todd and Todd are TRYING, and succeeding. I want to see competitive football, but unfortunately we're a 1a football school. Tho we have our former big school traditions, I'm comfortable we have to be reasonable.

No one can deny during this 4 year span that we were 1 or 2 injuries away from a very different season's outcome. But hey, that's 1a football. You all aren't gonna be happy until some power house with 20 D1 recruits come here and destroy our team, and maybe someone's complete future from a injury. All for high school football, and because it's easy to hate success than to support our local community. Shame on you

It's all good. This is a sports message board - tame to what I see elsewhere. LOL. I've been booted off dozens of boards the last two decades.

It relaxes me actually to talk football even if the topic gets heated. And believe it or not I learn from those who disagree. Not always but sometimes. It's good to get differing opinions. And no I don't think Lag is a moron at all. Just worlds apart on this issue. He says things so off the wall sometimes that when you think about it they actually might make some sense in this crazy society we live in. Sorry to sound like an old man but society really is crazy and social media places such as this help spin that craziness. Some coaches/business hate social media, some ignore it. The smart ones embrace it and use it to their advantage...or at least higher someone to embrace it for them.

Last edited:
I always have agreed with you and bigsavage to a degree that 4A doesn't mean good or better. The Walter Johnson's of the world couldn't compete at 1A. I get that as we are not stupid. There are schools where size does matter (70+ man rosters) and schools where it doesn't. I'm of the opinion that FH should definitely schedule really good teams no matter what class they are in but you just cannot load up on them for playoff reasons. You can take a few but not a bunch. Private schools however mean nothing when it comes to enrollment.

So to rephrase I would never literally say FH won't scheduling 4A schools, they just were not going to add 4A powers with significant talent numbers. That is one place some may disagree with me but if you are platooning kids across the board on offense and defense, yes that is a monster unlevel playing field. That is why nobody goes both ways at the next level outside of a rare Heisman type dude. Just to ramble more (I type very fast). In 2010 I was in Martinsburg for the last time FH played the Dawgs. I sat in the press box. I remember leaning over to one of the FH radio guys after the first series and saying "did you just see that, Martinsburg's entire offense just left the field and an entirely new set of kids came on the field to play defense, this ain't good." It was actually a real tight game midway through the 2nd quarter and even into the 3rd quarter. But I remember watching Martinsburg sending in a whole new group of 10 or 11 kids each change of possession. By the end of the game the FH kids tongues were hanging out and the Dawgs mauled them at that point. Numbers definitely matter. But some 4A schools still only have less than a 40 man roster so it depends.

A better question:
Why are you still comparing FH to top contenders in a heavy weight class? Don't get me wrong, it's a great compliment. Although you will see that Melbourne CC is a heavyweight contender. Check back in October so I can say "I told you so". This is a private program with a great 2nd year head coach who is trying to take them national like their county rival Cocoa who has been raking in all the Brevard County top talent up to this point. I still have connections in Florida and have been warned. This is not the Melbourne CC team of 2 years ago by a landslide.

I agree, But from the occasional homer or someone operating out of emotion, trying to misrepresent the message being conveyed, no one is advocating loading up a schedule with 4A powers or national private powers. My position all along is trying to find a happy medium. I've said this time and time again only to have my position exaggerated to the extreme side of thing b/c someone is being emotional. But I see no reason not to have a schedule with a few good teams and a few cupcakes. But not all cupcakes as in times past and not all powerhouses like some like to exaggerate in trying to discredit our position...

Last edited:

Last time I checked this is a message board. If Todd doesn't want comments or reply's he shouldn't or wouldn't post. There is a reply mechanism on this forum for a reason, whether you agree or not... Dissent and disagreement are not synonymous with appreciation or lack their of...

It's all good. This is a sports message board - tame to what I see elsewhere. LOL. I've been booted off dozens of boards the last two decades.

It relaxes me actually to talk football even if the topic gets heated. And believe it or not I learn from those who disagree. Not always but sometimes. It's good to get differing opinions. And no I don't think Lag is a moron at all. Just worlds apart on this issue. He says things so off the wall sometimes that when you think about it they actually might make some sense in this crazy society we live in. Sorry to sound like an old man but society really is crazy and social media places such as this help spin that craziness. Some coaches/business hate social media, some ignore it. The smart ones embrace it and use it to their advantage...or at least higher someone to embrace it for them.

"He says things so off the wall sometimes that when you think about it they actually might make some sense in this crazy society we live in." My very existence is a form of rebellion. Look at the approved choices for young men today - act a complete fool in the end zone or question your gender in a safe zone.

Imagine if FH was in the 3A West the last 4 years where teams have to win 9 games to make the playoffs. No wonder Coach Peer at South Hagerstown is likely none too happy about the process. I'm guessing but I bet it had a lot to do with the MVAL breaking up.

Imagine if FH was in the 3A West the last 4 years where teams have to win 9 games to make the playoffs. No wonder Coach Peer at South Hagerstown is likely none too happy about the process. I'm guessing but I bet it had a lot to do with the MVAL breaking up.

I give Coach Peer a lot of credit for honoring the two year contract. I was at that game and they had FH well scouted and gave them as tough a game as they had last year. South missed the 3A playoffs by 2.2 pts. so if they would have scheduled say a Silver Oak instead they would have been the 3rd seed in 3A West

I give Coach Peer a lot of credit for honoring the two year contract. I was at that game and they had FH well scouted and gave them as tough a game as they had last year. South missed the 3A playoffs by 2.2 pts. so if they would have scheduled say a Silver Oak instead they would have been the 3rd seed in 3A West

Acting in loco parentis, Peer has no peer.

A better question:

When I spoke of, "top contenders in a heavy weight class" I was quoting you. I have said consistently that FH and Alco should not be compared to 4A schools. And that's not a knock, as you stated those larger schools have size and number advantages over smaller schools. I have repeatedly said the Maryland Media is basically a joke for listing 1A higher than 4A schools.

Because I have zero knowledge of Melbourne I reached out to a colleague that covers Florida prep sports for a Florida newspaper. He said Melbourne is a small private school that does have a few good athletes, but they don't have great size on the line and isn't particularly stout against the run. I'm quite sure you guys already knew that. Evidently in the playoffs some team ran all over them. Your description of "heavyweight contender" seems to be very much an exaggeration. This is going to be an interesting game and I do give you credit for making it happen, but a team not good against the run playing at Greenway? FH should be at least a slight favorite.

Last edited:
LOL

Evidently you are implying that 3A and 4A schools are so afraid of FH, lol. When you post this list I will definitely check with the coaching staffs at these schools.

For listing a 1A school higher than ANY 4A school? You're generalizing.

I wasn't saying that. Of course the better 1A schools can beat the lower ranked 4A schools. I'm talking about 1A schools being ranked higher than Northwest, Annapolis, E Roosevelt, Old Mill, etc. - If you understand Maryland prep football it's ridiculous.

Evidently you are implying that 3A and 4A schools are so afraid of FH, lol. When you post this list I will definitely check with the coaching staffs at these schools.
You are misreading posts. I never claimed every school was afraid to play. I have clarified many times this is about travel vs. finding an opponent nearby. Although there were a handful of 3A and 4A schools that did flat out tell me that FH overloads their schedule. Whatever the reason, they don't want to play FH when they have the same open date. Here is the odd part, I have seen you many times put that accountability on FH as to why they don't play 3A and 4A schools, especially PG County. When I literally begged this winter for any 3A or 4A school in PG to play FH outside of Wise. You surely remember that exact post. Never a taker for whatever reason. Point being, if over 30 MPSSAA schools that have the same open date as FH refuse to play, don't turn around and blame FH for ducking people. That makes no sense.

If you did some research you wouldn't need to see my list of MPSSAA schools that rejected an offer to play FH. A good chunk of them were on open dates boards looking for games through the winter. It was all public knowledge. I turned this list over to the MPSSAA Office. Hopefully they called these coaches/ADs as well.

I would also recommend you not try to compare Florida high school football with Maryland high school football anymore than you compare FH with 3A and 4A schools in that State media poll. Both comparisons are absurd. As for Melbourne CC, we will talk mid-October. They currently are up to 5 D1 offers as you have used this analogy to compare teams in the past. How many Maryland schools public or private have that many?

Last edited:
You are misreading posts. I never claimed every school was afraid to play. I have clarified many times this is about travel vs. finding an opponent nearby. Although there were a handful of 3A and 4A schools that did flat out tell me that FH overloads their schedule. Whatever the reason, they don't want to play FH when they have the same open date. Here is the odd part, I have seen you many times put that accountability on FH as to why they don't play 3A and 4A schools, especially PG County. When I literally begged this winter for any 3A or 4A school in PG to play FH outside of Wise. You surely remember that exact post. Never a taker for whatever reason. Point being, if over 30 MPSSAA schools that have the same open date as FH refuse to play, don't turn around and blame FH for ducking people. That makes no sense.

If you did some research you wouldn't need to see my list of MPSSAA schools that rejected an offer to play FH. A good chunk of them were on open dates boards looking for games through the winter. It was all public knowledge. I turned this list over to the MPSSAA Office. Hopefully they called these coaches/ADs as well.

I would also recommend you not try to compare Florida high school football with Maryland high school football anymore than you compare FH with 3A and 4A schools in that State media poll. Both comparisons are absurd. As for Melbourne CC, we will talk mid-October. They currently are up to 5 D1 offers as you have used this analogy to compare teams in the past. How many Maryland schools public or private have that many?
You can't possibly think you are ever going to win this battle...these are the neverforthillers that are only too happy to get you sucked into their little pissing contest.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
2017 looks like a tougher schedule than FH usually plays, but why are you patting yourselves on the back over the type of schedule that most teams in the state play every season? This season the teams you added are better than Capitol Christian and Silver Oak but they are still 1A level schools, those possibly could be difficult games, congratulations! This is what most schools do every season, and then have to play three more tough games in the playoffs. FH faces Boonsboro and a barely .500 Fairmont Heights in the playoffs.

This fall Fairmont Heights is playing two 3A playoff teams from last year and three 4A schools. And this fall Surrattsville is opening up with Wise (4A Champs), Oxon Hill (3A Playoff team), and E Roosevelt (4A Playoff team). FH hasn't played a team the caliber of Wise or E Roosevelt probably since the DeMatha game, and have repeatedly turned down the opportunity to play quality 4A opponents.

Name the 1A schools that play this type of schedule every season.

"Central usually has a pretty good team".......outside of the known commodity of Wise, forgive us if we doubt your assessments of other PG schools.

I'm not misreading posts. I am responding to what you very clearly SAID:

"In time I will post all the schools that had an open date when FH did but rejected the offer. Lots of 3A and 4A size playoff teams on that list. Lots. Seeing there aren't any 3A or 4A teams in Western Maryland you can go ahead and assume they were from Downstate."

I didn't ask you to post this list. But if you're going to post it then yeah I'm going to follow up with the schools you name. I'm not going to do any research and I don't NEED to see your list. You OFFERED to post this list.

If you say Middletown called FH for a game and FH didn't respond for "4 or 5 days" (once again these are YOUR words) it doesn't look good. And when I'm critical of the schedule, I'm not talking about one year I'm looking at the last 10 years. You're complaining about one year. It's possible you couldn't get a game this year. But if you can't schedule one quality MPSSAA opponent in a decade it looks like you are avoiding good teams. And please don't try and sell me on South Hagerstown. You can scrimmage DuVal and you can get North Point and Meade to come to your 4 ways but you're not able to schedule any of these teams? That makes no sense.

When it comes to Melbourne, I don't comment on schools I don't follow. That's why I avoid commenting on Baltimore area schools. I would sound as "absurd" as most of the people on this board do when they attempt to comment on DC Metro area schools. I clearly stated what a Florida sports reporter said that covers those teams every day. If they can't stop the run FH should be favored. Nobody knows how this game is going to turn out, and I already complimented you on getting this team to come to Maryland.

Name the 1A schools that play this type of schedule every season.

"Central usually has a pretty good team".......outside of the known commodity of Wise, forgive us if we doubt your assessments of other PG schools.

Yes, I made a mistake about Central. I was thinking about another school, I already admitted that.

And yes, most MPSSAA teams have to play 3 or 4 tough games during the season and playoffs. FH doesn't face this level of opponent during the regular season or the playoffs. You usually play a team under or barely .500 in the semi-final game. I understand it's not their fault that Maryland 1A is down right now. We already talked about this stuff.

I actually talked with the Middletown AD Mike (I forget his last name) at a baseball game this week. Asked him about playing FH week 1. He said he actually called Alco on multiple occasions to see if they would be interested and they would not return his call. He did not know FH needed a week 1 but Alco had a post on the MPSSAA board. So he called coach Appel and Helmick to see if they knew if Alco was still open. He said FH already had a week 1 game set up at that point but then Coach Appel called about a week later for a game because the other contract fell through. But Middletown had just picked someone else up a day earlier.

This confirms what I heard long ago. FH had a week 1 set up at Dunbar but the Poets decided to play Alco. By that fact if FH ducked Middletown, Dunbar ducked FH to get Alco. But those are not the words of choice I would use either direction.

I'm not misreading posts. I am responding to what you very clearly SAID:

"In time I will post all the schools that had an open date when FH did but rejected the offer. Lots of 3A and 4A size playoff teams on that list. Lots. Seeing there aren't any 3A or 4A teams in Western Maryland you can go ahead and assume they were from Downstate."

I didn't ask you to post this list. But if you're going to post it then yeah I'm going to follow up with the schools you name. I'm not going to do any research and I don't NEED to see your list. You OFFERED to post this list.

If you say Middletown called FH for a game and FH didn't respond for "4 or 5 days" (once again these are YOUR words) it doesn't look good. And when I'm critical of the schedule, I'm not talking about one year I'm looking at the last 10 years. You're complaining about one year. It's possible you couldn't get a game this year. But if you can't schedule one quality MPSSAA opponent in a decade it looks like you are avoiding good teams. And please don't try and sell me on South Hagerstown. You can scrimmage DuVal and you can get North Point and Meade to come to your 4 ways but you're not able to schedule any of these teams? That makes no sense.

When it comes to Melbourne, I don't comment on schools I don't follow. That's why I avoid commenting on Baltimore area schools. I would sound as "absurd" as most of the people on this board do when they attempt to comment on DC Metro area schools. I clearly stated what a Florida sports reporter said that covers those teams every day. If they can't stop the run FH should be favored. Nobody knows how this game is going to turn out, and I already complimented you on getting this team to come to Maryland.

Bowie, Flowers and Parkdale all rejected a chance to play FH. Just go back and read the posts. There is 3.

I actually talked with the Middletown AD Mike (I forget his last name) at a baseball game this week. Asked him about playing FH week 1. He said he actually called Alco on multiple occasions to see if they would be interested and they would not return his call. He did not know FH needed a week 1 but Alco had a post on the MPSSAA board. So he called coach Appel and Helmick to see if they knew if Alco was still open. He said FH already had a week 1 game set up at that point but then Coach Appel called about a week later for a game because the other contract fell through. But Middletown had just picked someone else up a day earlier.

This confirms what I heard long ago. FH had a week 1 set up at Dunbar but the Poets decided to play Alco. By that fact if FH ducked Middletown, Dunbar ducked FH to get Alco. But those are not the words of choice I would use either direction.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Alco, but I've also been critical of their schedule for playing Silver Oak and Capitol Christian every year. It's good to see they stepped up and are playing Dunbar this fall. And I'm not going to dispute Dunbar ducked FH, lol. That doesn't bother me either way.

Your description of the Middletown situation isn't exactly what TH said, but it shows that other Maryland 2A schools want to play. And as I said previously this is not really about one year. It's about an entire decade not playing one quality MPSSAA school. I'm not going to dispute you couldn't make a game this season, but you couldn't make a game in the last 10 years?

And also for the record, I don't have a problem with the FH schedule, I would keep playing the cupcakes if it's going to win a state title every year. With the offense you run you're not going to beat those good 4A teams any way. You're not going to run the ball every down like you do against Boonsboro and you're not going to threaten them down field with the pass. I guarantee you haven't seen two 4A teams play in person recently.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Alco, but I've also been critical of their schedule for playing Silver Oak and Capitol Christian every year. It's good to see they stepped up and are playing Dunbar this fall. And I'm not going to dispute Dunbar ducked FH, lol. That doesn't bother me either way.

Your description of the Middletown situation isn't exactly what TH said, but it shows that other Maryland 2A schools want to play. And as I said previously this is not really about one year. It's about an entire decade not playing one quality MPSSAA school. I'm not going to dispute you couldn't make a game this season, but you couldn't make a game in the last 10 years?

And also for the record, I don't have a problem with the FH schedule, I would keep playing the cupcakes if it's going to win a state title every year. With the offense you run you're not going to beat those good 4A teams any way. You're not going to run the ball every down like you do against Boonsboro and you're not going to threaten them down field with the pass. I guarantee you haven't seen two 4A teams play in person recently.

Depends on what 4A teams you are referring to now doesn't it? Not all of them are obviously worthy. But for FH to play top notch 4A schools in order for them to not be labeled a cupcake schedule is a joke. That media poll must really bother you. You are obsessed with comparing FH to 3A and 4A powers for some weird reason.

But you didn't answer a question from TD. How many Maryland schools have five D1 offers right now like Melbourne?

And yet you still say FH should be favored. Hmmmmm. Interesting.

And I will say fh better learn hw to play
pass,nt so much under coach apple but in the past. Like they didnt know you could throw a diff pass than a waggle

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT