ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill 2017 Schedule

I know Cathedral Prep is usually strong. They have beaten some WPIAL schools in the past in the playoffs.

Looking over Bishop Sullivan's 2016 schedule on Max Prep's they beat Gilman and Good Council, lost to St, Francis by 7 and Bishop McNamara by 1. They are 38-15 since 2012.

Last edited:
Cathedral Prep just went 14-0 and won the PA AAAA state title. LOL. I'd say do it if Melbourne wasn't already on the schedule. Or if everyone made the playoffs but they dont.

Dont be stupid. Just play 9 games. The week off before the Melbourne game is huge. Putting the kids in a situation where they have to fight for their lives to make these stupid playoffs when they are the best in all of 1A is stupid. Kids aren't going to understand these reasons. It takes an adult to be wise for them. Hell if you ask any kid what they want to do of course they want to play the Dallas Cowboys every week.

I know Cathedral Prep is usually strong. They have beaten some WPIAL schools in the past in the playoffs.

Looking over Bishop Sullivan's 2016 schedule on Max Prep's they beat Gilman and Good Council, lost to St, Francis by 7 and Bishop McNamara by 1. They are 38-15 since 2012.

Bishop Sullivan's record before 2016 is largely irrelevant because they are a much different program now then they were at this time two years ago. They hired the HC from one of the top Norfolk public schools (want to say Oscar Smith but maybe not) last year and he brought his star RB with him along with a host of other transfers.They ramped up their scheduling accordingly and there's even been talk of them joining the WCAC.

Cathedral Prep just went 14-0 and won the PA AAAA state title. LOL. I'd say do it if Melbourne wasn't already on the schedule. Or if everyone made the playoffs but they dont.

Dont be stupid. Just play 9 games. The week off before the Melbourne game is huge. Putting the kids in a situation where they have to fight for their lives to make these stupid playoffs when they are the best in all of 1A is stupid. Kids aren't going to understand these reasons. It takes an adult to be wise for them. Hell if you ask any kid what they want to do of course they want to play the Dallas Cowboys every week.

I totally agree.

Purposely playing a 9 game schedule? Yikes!

What an incredible run FH has made. And sure, as a result of that run they find themselves in their current scheduling situation.

But, dropping to 9 when you can actually schedule 10. Man, that doesn't seem like the FH I know.

Don't tarnish the dynasty by pulling a 9'er. FH has earned a schedule out of hell. Hug your dragon.

Last edited:
Reactions: towpath94
Play the 9 games.....these kids will get to play 3 or 4 games more than most everyone else--they'll play 13 or 14 games.
If the options are a loss for the 10th game, or a serious potential for a loss, OR playing a a cupcake that will net FH so few points, numbers wise, points wise, Fort Hill is better off going with 9 games. The schedule is already stacked, we're good and could possibly use the rest or extra prep time.
I completely agree...however, what if something really bizarre happened like a fight breaks out in the middle of a game and the game is called...nobody gets the win or loss, and fh ends up with 8 games...aren't they automatically disqualified from the playoffs? sure it's far fetched but what if the whole team came down with mono and they couldn't even field a team for a game...they'd forfeit and have 8 games...it seems unlikely but do you take the chance if you have an opportunity to play 10?

Purposely playing a 9 game schedule? Yikes!

What an incredible run FH has made. And sure, as a result of that run they find themselves in their current scheduling situation.

But, dropping to 9 when you can actually schedule 10. Man, that doesn't seem like the FH I know.

Don't tarnish the dynasty by pulling a 9'er. FH has earned a schedule out of hell. Hug your dragon.

The Fort Hill you know has never played a private school from Florida. Nor did they entertain a game with a national traveling private school from Virginia Beach. Not in 82 years. Nor should they. LOL.

Many of you have obviously never been an AD on any level. There is more to playing a game than just saying play it. When you are dealing with teams from far away distances there is this little something called money. The Florida deal almost fell through due to the cost. When I tried to persuade the County to bump ticket prices for this one game they all had a cow. No, that's not happening as too many people would complain. So unless some local folks want to donate several thousand dollars to make these games happen I would not be making any assumptions. Does anyone really believe that Allegany County school boards wish to pay out this kind of money? And even if they did where does it come from? They can't even decide if there will be money to replace the stadium turf and some people want one of their schools to fork out the money to play teams from Florida and Va. Beach. C'mon man, show some intelligence.

And even if the money was there, why would anyone believe FH should be playing multiple high level catholic schools from far away. No wonder Cumberland is still dying. Just no reality.

The Fort Hill you know has never played a private school from Florida. Nor did they entertain a game with a national traveling private school from Virginia Beach. Not in 82 years. Nor should they. LOL.

As Shakespeare wrote, "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown" - (Henry IV) Talent and coaching has given FH pretty much a current dynasty. You can try to preserve that image by not playing the necessary competition that Big Red's record hath wrought or you can face the competition that is willing to play you at this point. Fort Hill is at the pinnacle right now. So decide what you want to do about it.

Well, drag your feet long enough and you can claim that nobody will play you. Or, come up with a dozen reasons to explain it. But, I think most folks will know you just didn't want a loss. Face the facts, if a team is willing to travel a great distance to play FH they either have a ton of money or they are facing the same situation of finding competition.

Perhaps the bottom line is that if you played 10 games and 4 of those were possible losses from superior talent, then FH was king and did the kingly thing. Otherwise it is an excuse season and we can go back to crybaby about cupcakes or crybaby about how nobody will play you. Oh, I almost forgot the competition bashing that usually accompanies the crying.

Reactions: bigsavage
As Shakespeare wrote, "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown" - (Henry IV) Talent and coaching has given FH pretty much a current dynasty. You can try to preserve that image by not playing the necessary competition that Big Red's record hath wrought or you can face the competition that is willing to play you at this point. Fort Hill is at the pinnacle right now. So decide what you want to do about it.

Well, drag your feet long enough and you can claim that nobody will play you. Or, come up with a dozen reasons to explain it. But, I think most folks will know you just didn't want a loss. Face the facts, if a team is willing to travel a great distance to play FH they either have a ton of money or they are facing the same situation of finding competition.

Perhaps the bottom line is that if you played 10 games and 4 of those were possible losses from superior talent, then FH was king and did the kingly thing. Otherwise it is an excuse season and we can go back to crybaby about cupcakes or crybaby about how nobody will play you. Oh, I almost forgot the competition bashing that usually accompanies the crying.

We've had our disagreements and usually don't agree with much you say. But I couldn't have said this better...

Love the article on Bishop Sullivan, great coach. Playing the best brings out the best. They have an 11 game schedule with great competition. Losing 3 games last year did not scare them away from competition. That coach is building an excellent program it appears, what an awesome attitude!

We've had our disagreements and usually don't agree with much you say. But I couldn't have said this better...

Both of us are sincere, which I think accounts for it.

As for FH, sooner or later the talent flow will even out (or not). But until then, they should "hold their manhoods cheap" (Henry V) for not filling the schedule with a team willing to play them.

Moreover, I am consistently nonplussed at a program having so much yet appreciating it so little - as in complaining about everything from the value of reserved seats to having to play on Saturday.

"Anyone that believes a 1A Maryland public school should play a host of national touring private schools and pay for it to fill a schedule is a Moron with a capital M." - Todd Helmick

FH has a 10th game under contract. Don't worry about who it is. There were over 150 schools that didn't want to host FH. Stick with those crown wearing basics. Or stick it wherever you please. Either way it should be of no concern for people with nothing invested other than a radio to hear the game.

When people stop harping about FH wearing the crown, then there will be concern.

Like I have said many times, the factories aren't coming back to Cumberland to employ people. Move on.

Last edited:
"Anyone that believes FH should play a host of national touring private schools and pay for it to fill a schedule is a Moron with a capital M." - Todd Helmick

Like I have said many times, the factories aren't coming back to Cumberland to employ people. Move on.

After quoting yourself I guess the next step is to start being authoritative - as in "Todd said this" or "Todd disapproves of that" and so forth and so on.

So... yes, the factories have been long since gone... gone before the stadium renovation and long since gone before a new Allegany.

So... you are down to private touring schools this year and have one slot to fill. In case you haven't done any soul searching in the last few years: there isn't a damn school in the state that wouldn't trade places with you and love to have had your record and championships - all of which put you in the position you are in.

You have plenty of time to raise the money to get you by whatever expenses you would have to bring in a team for this game. Fort Hill is in a special situation. You can rise to the occasion or forever be known as the team that dropped a game to ease its way into another championship.

Oh.. name calling works in politics and I realize that we live in a grievance culture, but it does not wear well on Big Red right now. A bath of reality would tell you that Fort Hill's recent paths to its championships haven't been exactly challenging. This year - win it all or not - is the crown jewel proving FH took on 'all comers' and staked out its immortality in Cumberland lore.

If you haven't dragged this out too long already, schedule the game. Raise the money. God bless the Sentinels.

Last edited:
Raise the money.
Good one dude. Do you even know how much it costs? I'll answer my own question, no not even close.

Here is an equivalent clue, why don't you go raise the money to put in athletic fields for the new Allegany high school? Neither North End or FH Football nor the County BOE has the money homey. The factories ain't coming back. It's people like you that keep burying this county deeper into a hole with an attitude like RAISE THE MONEY so a local team can have a 10th game against someone from Virginia Beach. Yes you with the capital M.

It took convincing a ton of local heads to even consider paying the funds needed to get a team from Florida here. So when I see an extremely ignorant and uniformed person making assumptions as if they are universally true it makes you wonder what kind of people actually live or lived here at some point.

You would think that it would make most folks quite happy and positive about things being done around these parts with the Florida team flying here for the first time in the history of Cumberland. Instead, I see haters who complain because FH won't fork out more 5 figure numbers to play another team from far away. I don't know if you can hear yourself yap, but you sir reek of severe unintelligence on this topic...as in real bad. While sometimes I agree with you Lag and many times not, I have yet to see you post something as unintelligent as this.

Just play the game you say. Well here is my first fundraising effort...Send me the check and I'll set it up dude!!!!! I will need about $9K for starters. If you think FH will make up for that at the gate, go tell that to the girls volleyball and softball teams or the boys baseball team who requires football gate money to support them having buses and uniforms. Or would you like more education on that topic?

Last edited:
God I love these FH schedule debates! Best action this board has seen since November.

It's good to be the king!

Raise the money.
Good one dude. Do you even know how much it costs? I'll answer my own question, no not even close.

Here is an equivalent clue, why don't you go raise the money to put in athletic fields for the new Allegany high school? Neither North End or FH Football nor the County BOE has the money homey. The factories ain't coming back. It's people like you that keep burying this county deeper into a hole with an attitude like RAISE THE MONEY so a local team can have a 10th game against someone from Virginia Beach. Yes you with the capital M.

It took convincing a ton of local heads to even consider paying the funds needed to get a team from Florida here. So when I see an extremely ignorant and uniformed person making assumptions as if they are universally true it makes you wonder what kind of people actually live or lived here at some point.

You would think that it would make most folks quite happy and positive about things being done around these parts with the Florida team flying here for the first time in the history of Cumberland. Instead, I see haters who complain because FH won't fork out more 5 figure numbers to play another team from far away. I don't know if you can hear yourself yap, but you sir reek of severe unintelligence on this topic...as in real bad. While sometimes I agree with you Lag and many times not, I have yet to see you post something as unintelligent as this.

Just play the game you say. Well here is my first fundraising effort...Send me the check and I'll set it up dude!!!!! I will need about $9K for starters. If you think FH will make up for that at the gate, go tell that to the girls volleyball and softball teams or the boys baseball team who requires football gate money to support them having buses and uniforms. Or would you like more education on that topic?

Thanks for your rant.

I have a lot of experience in raising money. Shucks, getting a temp gaming license for a non profit and staging a bull roast was always an easy $2k, for starters. Three of those for a six month period should be a no brainer - that is just to start. I used to raise $10k every year just to send and entire organization of multiple teams to Cooperstown.... that's every single year and that was on top of uniforms, equipment and fees because we could only charge the players a fraction of the cost. So don't tell me I don't know anything about raising money.

Get a little from many, not just a fat check from a single business or organization. It just takes creativity and the dedication of student and adult foot soldiers. So, spare me the insults and the childish come backs like, "Send me the check."

You want the accolades and all the chevaliers of multiple championships but don't want to suffer the complexities that comes with them. You would like the state to force local schools to play FH so you can beat your chest, win by 50 points and dog talk the competition - Oh, and argue that the ticket price is too high basis the level of competition.

... Oh again, something tells me that you purposely worked yourself into this situation. Earlier - if I remember the threads correctly - you could have scheduled some quality teams downstate but took a pass, leaving you too many open dates to fill. So, you had to start playing the traveling private schools. And now the world 'done FH wrong' in your mind. You should have had a grip on reality much sooner. Schedule the game and raise the money, or be a 9'er with an asterisk.

Last edited:
The FH community already raises money, more than what you just quoted. Still not enough homey. Especially when you need almost $1 million to replace the field turf as one example. Where do you think that money comes from? Let's just say it doesn't afford the school system spending their money to play teams that require hotel rooms for 70 people. In other words, there is no funding for these things other than what FH raises themselves. They have plenty of expenses outside this scheduling realm. No public high school exists in Maryland that makes the boosters club or someone like me take the responsibility to raise money to play a team from Florida, a team from Virginia Beach and a team from Canada because 80% of the state has no backbone. But thanks for holding FH in such high esteem.

You would think paying a quality private team from Florida to travel here would make some people say positive things. Instead it's bitch and moan about not paying a team from Virginia Beach too. Capital M!

Fort Hill has a 10th game under contract. So don't worry about what the 4 time consec champion is doing. They are doing just fine. They obviously don't need your uniformed advice on the nature of filling half a schedule with schools outside their own state organization because over half the state wants nothing to do with playing a game against FH. And the coaches certainly don't need your advice on what it takes to wear the crown. They have experience at doing so.

The FH community already raises money, more than what you just quoted. Still not enough homey. Especially when you need almost $1 million to replace the field turf as one example. Where do you think that money comes from? Let's just say it doesn't afford the school system spending their money to play teams that require hotel rooms for 70 people. In other words, there is no funding for these things other than what FH raises themselves. They have plenty of expenses outside this scheduling realm. No public high school exists in Maryland that makes the boosters club or someone like me take the responsibility to raise money to play a team from Florida, a team from Virginia Beach and a team from Canada because 80% of the state has no backbone. But thanks for holding FH in such high esteem.

You would think paying a quality private team from Florida to travel here would make some people say positive things. Instead it's bitch and moan about not paying a team from Virginia Beach too. Capital M!

Fort Hill has a 10th game under contract. So don't worry about what the 4 time consec champion is doing. They are doing just fine. They obviously don't need your uniformed advice on the nature of filling half a schedule with schools outside their own state organization because over half the state wants nothing to do with playing a game against FH. And the coaches certainly don't need your advice on what it takes to wear the crown. They have experience at doing so.

Oh... Okay, so suddenly you got a tenth game under contract during the tail end of this thread . Why then all your blowhard posts with all the emotionalism? Or, did you go "Oh shit" and pick up the phone and lock one up.

Of course you couldn't resist coming back in here to heap a little scorn regarding "what it takes to wear the crown" and such. Stung didn't it. I guess pointing out that you could have scheduled teams downstate was the clincher.

I am a FH football fan and I do hold "FH in such high esteem." Got all the championships recorded. Love the team and the coach. Attend every game I can when in town. These are the reasons I pick at some of the crap in this forum and why I realize that a 9 game schedule hurts FH's image.

Take it all as thou list.

Last edited:
Lag is right about one thing. FH is 50 points better than all the local teams.

It's good to be the king!

I didn't post that FH would win every game by 50 points.... but you wanna spot Alco 50 points this year? So, you are already in for homecoming on a prediction, I guess.

I didn't post that FH would win every game by 50 points...

Lagmeister post #3,316 above:
"You would like the state to force local schools to play FH so you can beat your chest, win by 50 points and dog talk the competition."

Of course Alco has played only 9 regular season games in 2 of the last 3 years. And everybody wants to play Alco. No asterisks needed when your irrelevant I guess.

FYI no one downstate wants to play FH. That's the problem. its obveous. you have zero knowledge of FH scheduling. So just make stuff up.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Lagmeister post #3,316 above:
"You would like the state to force local schools to play FH so you can beat your chest, win by 50 points and dog talk the competition."

Of course Alco has played only 9 regular season games in 2 of the last 3 years. And everybody wants to play Alco. No asterisks needed when your irrelevant I guess.

FYI no one downstate wants to play FH. That's the problem. its obveous. you have zero knowledge of FH scheduling. So just make stuff up.

I usually give you credit for being better than this. Allegany would never be forced to play FH because they always do - so Allegany was never in my statement - get it numbnutz! Do I need to spell out which local schools do not play Fort Hill? You claim I "have zero knowledge of FH scheduling" while you achieve singularity.

And, while you're at it, read up on the difference between scheduled games and games that could have been scheduled. I realize you're not making stuff up, just being ridiculous in your comparisons.

This is nothing more than changing the subject from the fact that FH gets it's tenth game during this thread while the subject was FH having only 9. Personally, I am happy for the team and the program. May the dynasty continue... well, except for homecoming.

Please allow me to get this straight so I can take it to the watering hole tomorrow for some great laughs.

1. FH should pay the Florida private team to fly here while staying 2 nights and also pay the private team from Virginia Beach to come here and spend the night
2. FH should raise the money to do so with "fundraising and bull roasts"
3. FH won't play teams from downstate
4. Playing 9 games "tarnishes the dynasty" and "hurts the FH image."
5. FH should not play the local schools because they "beat them by 50 points and beat their chest about it"
6. I purposely worked myself into this scheduling situation. No MPSSAA schools on the FH schedule was done on purpose so we could cry about being "done wrong."
7. An Allegany guy is now claiming that recent paths to Fort Hill's championships haven't been "exactly challenging."
8. To prove they deserve the crown jewel Class 1A FH should take on all comers
9. While arguing with Lag on this forum, I picked up the phone and locked a 10th game up.
10. FH doesn't have what it takes to "wear the crown" and "pointing out they could have scheduled teams downstate was the clincher."

Pure gold!
Keep em coming please.

Bishop Sullivan is actually a perfect example of a team scheduling themselves out of the playoffs. They are not eligible for the VA private school playoffs due to their scheduling. The VA rule is that you have to play 50% of your games against other VA private schools to make the playoffs.

Erie Cathedral Prep is ranked #20 by one ranking service and #25 by another... and that's nationally! At that point you might as well talk about FH scheduling DeMatha.

If Alco gets by Dunbar with a stout defense and good passing game, then we'll just have to see how Brian weasels out of his 50 point prediction.
That was one of your statements dumbass. I even quoted you. And at no point did I even mention Alco. But since you asked. Dunbar will represent the first significant opponent Alco had the balls to schedule in almost a decade.

Please allow me to get this straight so I can take it to the watering hole tomorrow for some great laughs.

1. FH should pay the Florida private team to fly here while staying 2 nights and also pay the private team from Virginia Beach to come here and spend the night
5. FH should not play the local schools because they "beat them by 50 points and beat their chest about it"
6. I purposely worked myself into this scheduling situation. No MPSSAA schools on the FH schedule was done on purpose so we could cry about being "done wrong."
7. An Allegany guy is now claiming that recent paths to Fort Hill's championships haven't been "exactly challenging."
9. While arguing with Lag on this forum, I picked up the phone and locked a 10th game up.
10. FH doesn't have what it takes to "wear the crown" and "pointing out they could have scheduled teams downstate was the clincher."

Pure gold!
Keep em coming please.

Todd, you appear to be coming unglued. As of 11:40 this morning you didn't have your 10th game or you would have added that in your post rather than cry over money. Really, do you think the boys at the bar would actually find the aforementioned list remotely interesting... I mean, really.

What might actually be funny is if you took the list and somebody says, "Hell yeah, you can raise a lot of money with a bull roast" or even better yet, "It wouldn't feel right if we only played 9."

In reality, all they would want to know is who is the 10th game. Everything else is a nose-out-of-joint list.

That was one of your statements dumbass. I even quoted you. And at no point did I even mention Alco. But since you asked. Dunbar will represent the first significant opponent Alco had the balls to schedule in almost a decade.

"Lag is right about one thing. FH is 50 points better than all the local teams." - Allegany is a local team. Your words, not mine. Of course, you were dead wrong since I never posted that FH is 50 points better than all the local teams.

"Dunbar will represent the first significant opponent Alco had the balls to schedule in almost a decade" - Dude, are you sniffing glue tonight with Todd. I have always considered Fort Hill one of the premier teams in the state.

Both of us are sincere, which I think accounts for it.

As for FH, sooner or later the talent flow will even out (or not). But until then, they should "hold their manhoods cheap" (Henry V) for not filling the schedule with a team willing to play them.

Moreover, I am consistently nonplussed at a program having so much yet appreciating it so little - as in complaining about everything from the value of reserved seats to having to play on Saturday.
unlike allegany who has never complained about anything right? steps, horns, helmets, locker rooms, concessions...yep, y'all are so much classier.

unlike allegany who has never complained about anything right? steps, horns, helmets, locker rooms, concessions...yep, y'all are so much classier.

For most games Allegany couldn't get a quorum of fans together to actually be judged as to whether they are classy or not.

Pure gold!
Keep em coming please.
I love the list Todd! As usual, there are few people who can argue with you on facts so they try to get under your skin by challenging every word you type and if they get a reaction they can change the argument into you being unglued..meanwhile not realizing how petty they really are for arguing with somebody who does so much for a local school...you are right, CAPITAL M!

Oh, and by the way todd... it is easily noticed that you edited your 4:07 post at 4:40 to announce that you suddenly had a tenth game. Your original 4:07 post:

"Anyone that believes FH should play a host of national touring private schools and pay for it to fill a schedule is a Moron with a capital M." - Todd Helmick

Your 4:40 edit:

"Anyone that believes a 1A Maryland public school should play a host of national touring private schools and pay for it to fill a schedule is a Moron with a capital M." - Todd Helmick

FH has a 10th game under contract. Don't worry about who it is. There were over 150 schools that didn't want to host FH. Stick with those crown wearing basics. Or stick it wherever you please. Either way it should be of no concern for people with nothing invested other than a radio to hear the game.

When people stop harping about FH wearing the crown, then there will be concern.

So, let's not be coy. How about simply being happy you got the 10th game.

Reactions: Mdfootball12
Really, do you think the boys at the bar would actually find the aforementioned list remotely interesting... I mean, really.

What might actually be funny is if you took the list and somebody says, "Hell yeah, you can raise a lot of money with a bull roast" or even better yet, "It wouldn't feel right if we only played 9."

Yes it is extremely funny. The list should have it's own thread to demonstrate the stupidity of this argument.

FH booster clubs already have bull roasts, steak feeds, spaghetti feeds, car washes, raffles, bake sales, shrimp feeds, contests, candy sales, you name it. C'mon man, you didn't invent fundraising. Check out the Red Huddle. They do events like this daily, weekly. It's not feasible to see if these groups can raise $15K to play two football games. That type of money doesn't exist in Allegany County. Not in government or fundraisers. Why is that so hard to acknowledge. Booster clubs don't pay for games at public schools yet alone ones that require that type of funding for airplanes, buses, meals and hotels. My god why do I have to repeat this stuff. Get it? Hell no, you don't get it.

The factories are not here any more. Move on.

And stop guessing about what you think you know. The 10th game isn't your worry. Just be happy with the schedule already posted. It's a very exciting list.

"It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you think you know for sure that just a'int so." - Mark Twain

My personal fav on the list is #4.

Playing 9 games "tarnishes the dynasty" and "hurts the FH image." - OMG that's great.

Have all the kids with rings since 2013 turn them in Todd. Alco always plays 9 games so maybe he has a valid point.

How does Alco raise money for teams to come here and play them?? Maybe FH could follow their lead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT