ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill 2017 Schedule

More info on what happened with Week 6 game at Fairmont Heights.

Fort Hill had a signed two year contract with Fairmont Heights out of PG County for Week 6. As most know Fairmont Heights traveled to FH last season (2016). FH was to travel there in 2017 on the second year of the contract. However, PG County realigned and handed every school in their county a new schedule and FH got bumped out of Week 6. The huge problem is that no one bothered to inform Fort Hill. It just so happened that I called the Fairmont Heights AD in mid-March to see if our original contracted game was going to be on Friday or Saturday. She replied they already had another game that week. Well no one told us...a little late don't you think?

So I have come to find out that they knew about this back in December. Had they told FH back then we probably could have found another opponent. But it's much too late for that now. So FH is currently trying to work a solution with PG County and the MPSSAA. We will see.

It is bad enough a MPSSAA school is trying to dump a MPSSAA contract. There is no reason PG County could not have worked around it. But what is much worse is the fact they did not inform Fort Hill about it. Not good at all.

Has any school or school board filed a civil suit in Maryland for violation of contracts, or against the MPSSAA for not supporting contracts. I remember Meade filed one due to a playoff points snafu that caused them to miss the playoffs one year. Also, did not the MPSSAA force North Hagerstown to honor their end of the contract, although it took the following year.

The Pittsburgh school USO is an abbreviation for?

University Prep / Science & Technology Academy / Obama Academy

Those are 3 separate Pittsburgh City League schools who combine to play sports under one team. In many places they go by the name of University Prep as the PIAA has deemed that the home school.

To avoid legal action, or just because it's the right thing to do, I think the MPSSAA should find a way to award Fort Hill a forfeit win over Fairmont Heights for that week. Give Fort Hill a 10 game schedule with only 9 games actually played. I'm not sure how they handle Fairmont Heights' 10 game schedule and still having to take a loss but it is an option.
Maybe the punishment for teams backing out of an MPSSAA contract should be an automatic forfeit of the originally scheduled game.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
University Prep / Science & Technology Academy / Obama Academy

Those are 3 separate Pittsburgh City League schools who combine to play sports under one team. In many places they go by the name of University Prep as the PIAA has deemed that the home school.

You would think that would be an idea for the Baltimore city schools to do rather than having 1000 1A size schools.

Has any school or school board filed a civil suit in Maryland for violation of contracts, or against the MPSSAA for not supporting contracts. I remember Meade filed one due to a playoff points snafu that caused them to miss the playoffs one year. Also, did not the MPSSAA force North Hagerstown to honor their end of the contract, although it took the following year.

Yes, North Hagerstown was forced to honor the second year of the contract with FH but after a year had passed. The first year of that North Hagerstown contract was for 2012 in Hagerstown (FH got whipped). The return game was to be in 2013 but the former MVAL shifted league schedules and bumped the game. North agreed to play in 2014. Then 2014 came around and North realized they only had 4 home games and tried to drop the game. They were ultimately forced to play it to the chagrin of their AD at the time. Then of course North went 0-10 that year. I was more shocked that North went from being very good to very, very bad in just a short two years.

Last edited:
You would think that would be an idea for the Baltimore city schools to do rather than having 1000 1A size schools.

MPSSAA doesn't allow it, except when they do. That's why the home school teams aren't acceptable opponents, MPSSAA rules state that teams must be made up of students from only one school. That's not the case for several Baltimore City schools already.

"Southwestern" high in Baltimore doesn't exist any more, but still fields athletic teams under the Southwestern name. The team is made up of kids from several small charter schools in Southwest Baltimore that combine to play under the Southwestern name. Lake Clifton is the same way except at least all the schools that combine to form Lake Clifton's athletic teams are all located in the Lake Clifton building.

Baltimore City is actually down to 18 football-playing public schools from a high of I think 23. At one point they had twice as many football teams as the city of Dallas despite having half the population.

To avoid legal action, or just because it's the right thing to do, I think the MPSSAA should find a way to award Fort Hill a forfeit win over Fairmont Heights for that week. Give Fort Hill a 10 game schedule with only 9 games actually played. I'm not sure how they handle Fairmont Heights' 10 game schedule and still having to take a loss but it is an option.
Maybe the punishment for teams backing out of an MPSSAA contract should be an automatic forfeit of the originally scheduled game.

Yes, this one should get interesting. We actually thought FH had a replacement game in Cesar Chavez out of DC but then they backed out realizing they had already scheduled someone that week.

Like I said, the real problem is that no one told FH. So it got too late in the scheduling process to replace Fairmont Heights. There is no way for FH to pay and bring in another team from far away, which is what they were forced to do with Melbourne CC. Having FH travel far away on their own dime was never an option at any point either. People think FH has money coming out their ears. That is so far from the truth. Plus you also have to realize that landing a huge 4A powerhouse as a replacement for Fairmont Heights is not conducive for any 1A school trying to make the playoffs considering the team from Florida is the following week and Friendship after that. Playing 9 games doesn't hurt your playoff standing. And actually if FH was going to take a week off what better time than before the Florida game. Although everyone including the players and coaches want 10 games. Even moreso is that Fairmont Heights represents the only other MPSSAA school on the schedule outside of Alco and Mtn Ridge. Everyone is tired of this when you consider that contracts hold no water with any non-MPSSAA school.

This is the 3rd time in as many years that a team has tried to dump the second year of a signed contract with FH (North Hagerstown, Clearfield, Fairmont Heights). What good is a contract I ask?

Last edited:
That pickup of Friendship Collegiate is a very tough, good challenge! A DC area team that hung with That NJ power last year? Good step for Lil Ole FH

FRIENDSHIP COLLEGIATE
I love this Sports Illustrated You Tube short film from 2012:

Reactions: mccoke
Honestly Todd....and Todd, at this point, especially if it meant most likely travelling, screw it and just keep 9 games. Fort Hill could benefit from an extra week of preparation and rest at that point. You can run the numbers like crazy, but I would say that it may actually benefit Fort Hill playoff point wise to play 9 games IF the only options are A) a sure loss or B) a 1 or 2 win 1A School. Take the 9 games, rest and prepare, unless something too good to be true falls in your lap.

The back to back games with Melbourne Central and Friendship Collegiate is a nice late season pair of matchups.

I've actually talked with RICC - the Canadian team that attended the Quad last year. They need a game that week. Not sure if the MPSSAA will sanction them but the problem is that FH cannot afford to pay for their bus and hotel as they already have a team from Florida coming the following week.

However, I felt like posting that just to demonstrate what an idiotic system we have been fighting. The MPSSAA has their state record 4 time consecutive champion 1A public school trying to pay for a team from Canada and a team from Florida to play them. Maybe I'm off my rocker but that is beyond stupid. This is what the system has dictated.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Love than video on Friendship A most impressive schedule. Can't wait for this season!

Typical trash PG county move

other than the lack of MPSSAA teams the schedule is great. I really hope for the players that a 10th game is found.

It's crazy/sad that they didn't mention anything sooner to you guys but it really isn't surprising with the way that county handles the AD position in most cases (getting a classroom teacher to take on AD responsibilities while still teaching) so until that changes it's something to keep in mind with a lot of the schools there. Their AD made the initial mistake of signing a two year deal mid cycle after Forestville closed and left them without a week 6 game, since the county re-does schedules every two years with the MPSSAA reclassifications and changes open weeks and the like. Then they just compounded it by not letting the county know while they were putting together the schedule for the next two years and not letting you guys know after the schedule came out that they were booked.

Not knowing the details and costs its difficult to say but you might be well served by going to the county supervisor of athletics Earl Hawkins and seeing if it would be possible to have them cover or help with the costs of getting a replacement opponent. I suggest that having some knowledge of their budget line items and outlays. Depending on the cost it would certainly be doable despite the possible pleas of poverty. Failing that (and getting a replacement)you're left depending on the MPSSAA doing something which would at best probably have to be crediting you with a 1A win and awarding you bonus points based on Fairmont Heights wins. As for getting Fairmont Heights to come fulfill the contract in 2018 that might require some heavy lifting as you would at the very least be involving 3 schools. Fairmont Heights week 6 game the next 2 years is scheduled to be Central and they have out of county games in week 1(St. Charles) and week 5 (National Collegiate Prep). I'm pretty sure the St. Charles game is a 2 year deal but I wouldn't bet with the nature of DC charter schools that the week 5 game is a 2 year deal. If it isn't you can move the Central-Fairmont Heights game to week 5 and ask Fairmont Heights current week 5 opponent Oxon Hill to find a extra out of county game that week in 2018.

Last edited:
Already talking with Earl Hawkins. That's where we currently are. While I like Earl, he doesn't move or respond quickly either as I'm sure he has other things on his plate. Even though I explained to him that this is a time sensitive issue. FH cannot wait 2 months from now to figure this out. It's already April. The Fairmont Heights AD and coach are not reachable in a timely manner. They have no say in this actually at this point. I get it. Lot's of schools are incompetent in this manor due to the nature of what you just described. The AD position is something forced upon employees that already wear other hats. At the same time, I do this for free. And it takes no effort to take a piece of notebook paper and hang it in the office with any schedule deal I have made. Everyone must refer to this schedule list including the coach and/or principal when something is trying to be scheduled. There is no excuse for what just happened. A child could keep it from happening.

Just where the MPSSAA fits in this is the interesting part. How they handle one of their own contracts and what it means with one of their own county's scheduling bylaws will be important. If they dismiss it they set an incredible precedent that's definitely open to a lawsuit. Seeing FH only has 2 MPSSAA schools on their schedule - both from Allegany County - while the MPSSAA has taken over $177K out of our pockets the last four years with playoff money, they can expect a legal inquiry yes. People can say what they want about FH and their complaining but I say to those people...if you sign a business contract with someone and halfway into the contract the other person pulls out and doesn't pay up, are you going to do something about it or ignore it? Maybe we will just call Judge Judy. LOL.

But I have to reiterate once again...I am mostly upset no one told us. That's not rocket science. I actually like what PG County is doing with realignment. Kudos to them for that. But c'mon man. They could have worked around this game and others like it. The fault really lies with Fairmont Heights in that regards for first signing a two year contract out of cycle, second not telling PG County about this before they made the new 2017 schedules and third not telling FH once it was done. Just typical incompetence. But FH should not have to pay the price for their incompetence.

If I am the judge...FH should play Central Week 6 and Fairmont Heights can scramble for a game since it is their fault. But PG County likely isn't going to do one of it's own wrong like that. FH will likely pay for the mistake they had nothing to do with.

Last edited:
Reactions: towpath94
Already talking with Earl Hawkins. That's where we currently are. While I like Earl, he doesn't move or respond quickly either as I'm sure he has other things on his plate. Even though I explained to him that this is a time sensitive issue. FH cannot wait 2 months from now to figure this out. It's already April. The Fairmont Heights AD and coach are not reachable in a timely manner. They have no say in this actually at this point. I get it. Lot's of schools are incompetent in this manor due to the nature of what you just described. The AD position is something forced upon employees that already wear other hats. At the same time, I do this for free. And it takes no effort to take a piece of notebook paper and hang it in the office with any schedule deal I have made. Everyone must refer to this schedule list including the coach and/or principal when something is trying to be scheduled. There is no excuse for what just happened. A child could keep it from happening.

Just where the MPSSAA fits in this is the interesting part. How they handle one of their own contracts and what it means with one of their own county's scheduling bylaws will be important. If they dismiss it they set an incredible precedent that's definitely open to a lawsuit. Seeing FH only has 2 MPSSAA schools on their schedule - both from Allegany County - while the MPSSAA has taken over $177K out of our pockets the last four years with playoff money, they can expect a legal inquiry yes. People can say what they want about FH and their complaining but I say to those people...if you sign a business contract with someone and halfway into the contract the other person pulls out and doesn't pay up, are you going to do something about it or ignore it? Maybe we will just call Judge Judy. LOL.

But I have to reiterate once again...I am mostly upset no one told us. That's not rocket science. I actually like what PG County is doing with realignment. Kudos to them for that. But c'mon man. They could have worked around this game and others like it. The fault really lies with Fairmont Heights in that regards for first signing a two year contract out of cycle, second not telling PG County about this before they made the new 2017 schedules and third not telling FH once it was done. Just typical incompetence. But FH should not have to pay the price for their incompetence.

If I am the judge...FH should play Central Week 6 and Fairmont Heights can scramble for a game since it is their fault. But PG County likely isn't going to do one of it's own wrong like that. FH will likely pay for the mistake they had nothing to do with.

Something like this happened years ago. I think before you started helping with the scheduling. FH was supposed to play Walbrook from Baltimore here, but Walbrook ended up double scheduling for the date. MPSSAA actually stepped in and had FH play the other team Walbrook scheduled. I think it may have been Patuxent. Walbrook was the one who ended up without a game.

As you alluded too, having a week off before possibly the two toughest opponents on the schedule may be a blessing in disguise. If nothing else the normal bumps and bruises will have time to heal.

Waggle, as adults we can concur that taking the week off is better suited for winning games. But if I'm a senior I just want to play games and build memories with the time I have left. Let the kids have 10 games. This is for them and all their hard work. I know they want 10 games.

Waggle, as adults we can concur that taking the week off is better suited for winning games. But if I'm a senior I just want to play games and build memories with the time I have left. Let the kids have 10 games. This is for them and all their hard work. I know they want 10 games.

Oh of course they do, so do I, but the odds of that happening are extremely remote so try and make the best of a bad situation.

You are absolutely right that this shouldn't have happened to you guys and that this is certainly not unavoidable. I am very glad you went to Hawkins as well even if he's slow in responding. As for your solution of getting Central I think that would probably be the most just outcome for you right now ,especiallyconsidering you would replace a 1A team with a similar (in terms of talent and likely wins this coming season) 2A team. As far as PG County not wanting to do that to one of their own, knowing the hierarchy of the programs and relationships I don't think "doing one of their own like that" would be much of a consideration,especially given the circumstances. If you mentioned "lawsuit" and "MPSSAA" I wouldn't be shocked if PG sent you Central for the next 2 years, gave a donation to your booster club and gave you a pick of a school to schedule come the next cycle.

I've actually talked with RICC - the Canadian team that attended the Quad last year. They need a game that week. Not sure if the MPSSAA will sanction them but the problem is that FH cannot afford to pay for their bus and hotel as they already have a team from Florida coming the following week.

However, I felt like posting that just to demonstrate what an idiotic system we have been fighting. The MPSSAA has their state record 4 time consecutive champion 1A public school trying to pay for a team from Canada and a team from Florida to play them. Maybe I'm off my rocker but that is beyond stupid. This is what the system has dictated.

I know you said you wouldn't consider Broad Run Va. in the past but beings that you were looking to schedule MIAA teams is Broad Run an option now? Also Farrell Pa is looking for an Oct 6 game atleast they were per the WV open dates board.. I'm sure you've already seen it...

I know you said you wouldn't consider Broad Run Va. in the past but beings that you were looking to schedule MIAA teams is Broad Run an option now? Also Farrell Pa is looking for an Oct 6 game atleast they were per the WV open dates board.. I'm sure you've already seen it...

Maybe Broad Run and Farrell should hook up. Might be an interesting game.

But Farrell is good, very good, at least it seems, we don't need to beef up anymore.

With what Fort Hill already has on it's plate, Big Savage, I would say give Todd a holler if you see that the Twiggtown Technical School, Lonaconing Central Alumni, or Frostburg Teachers College Intramural Alumni Squad have any open dates. I hear the Chuggers Bar Skillpool Team from 1983 is putting a football team together, they'll be wearing some old Lavale Packers uniforms. I'm going to keep my ear to the ground.

But Farrell is good, very good, at least it seems, we don't need to beef up anymore.

With what Fort Hill already has on it's plate, Big Savage, I would say give Todd a holler if you see that the Twiggtown Technical School, Lonaconing Central Alumni, or Frostburg Teachers College Intramural Alumni Squad have any open dates. I hear the Chuggers Bar Skillpool Team from 1983 is putting a football team together, they'll be wearing some old Lavale Packers uniforms. I'm going to keep my ear to the ground.

Granted, but point being that if FH were to schedule a game with a Farrell and win there are those who will say, "you're just beating up on a smaller school that you have no business playing"

Farrell said no thanks weeks ago. They have 158 students grades 9-11. FH said no thanks to Bishop Sullivan out of Virginia Beach. Everyone keeps an eye on the playoff system and finances/travel. Personally, I would like to see a MPSSAA school on the schedule. That's where FH competes and the schedule is void of those as I have mentioned several times. If the MPSSAA is going to pull our playoff money, they can afford to make sure at least one of their member schools plays FH.

As you can see I have posts on multiple open dates boards. Looking at all options.

Last edited:
I know it won't work for Fort Hill in terms of our week 6 need, and that's not why I'm asking.

But, I know Eagle Insider has asked, do we know if Boonsboro and Northern have scheduled a 10th game yet?

Granted, but point being that if FH were to schedule a game with a Farrell and win there are those who will say, "you're just beating up on a smaller school that you have no business playing"

Yeah I really don't put as much stock in size of schools as some of you do... If you're good you're good if you're bad your bad... Jefferson was the largest school in wv and they're terrible... You wouldn't get any brownie points from me based on their size... Then you have some small schools that will give you all you can handle... This was before my time but my Father always talks about how dominant in basketball piedmont high school was for being such a small school... Numbers don't always equate to talent and the lack of numbers doesn't always equate to lack of talent...

Last edited:
Reactions: towpath94
Yeah I really don't put as much stock in size of schools as some of you do... If you're good you're good if you're bad your bad... Jefferson was the largest school in wv and they're terrible... You wouldn't get any brownie points from me based on their size... Then you have some small schools that will give you all you can handle... This was before my time but my Father always talks about how dominant in basketball piedmont high school was for being such a small school... Numbers don't always equate to talent and the lack of numbers doesn't always equate to lack of talent...

I've said this also. 4A Walter Johnson was probably one of the worst teams to come to Greenway in recent years. And school size didn't stop FH or Alco from playing Capitol Christian.

Reactions: bigsavage
That pickup of Friendship Collegiate is a very tough, good challenge! A DC area team that hung with That NJ power last year? Good step for Lil Ole FH

Let me stop the "FH Hype Machine" in its tracks. Friendship isn't the same team it was in 2012 when they were a national power. Not even close. Friendship was good because they were getting a lot of the good DC city players instead of losing them to the suburbs or private schools. The DC youth league is very good, they send a couple of teams to Florida every year for that championship tournament, but the high schools are bad because the kids don't enroll in DC schools. The head coach that was coaching in that video left a few years ago and was an assistant at the Univ. of Alabama and now he's an assistant at the Univ. of Maryland. The other thing that happened was the other DC public schools complained about recruiting and Friendship has more difficulty getting players in now. They were good last year but they lost about 18 starters. Like I said, they do bring in kids but I doubt if they can produce a highly competitive team this fall. If FH signed a two year contract the 2018 game might be interesting.

In terms of the Fairmont Heights game, they don't have a good football program. This is what happens when you schedule teams that aren't serious about football. The same issues the AD is having probably filters down, although the Head Coach seems to know what he's doing and is trying to change the culture there. Isn't this the same problem you had with Capitol Christian? Lack of communication and confusion about game dates. You're not going to have this problem with real football schools like Douglass, Gwynn Park, etc. Also, Central usually has a pretty good team. They should be a tough opponent if that game is made.

Overall this is a good schedule. Fort Hill will probably still be favored in every game but there are a lot of interesting matchups.

Let me stop the "FH Hype Machine" in its tracks. Friendship isn't the same team it was in 2012 when they were a national power. Not even close. Friendship was good because they were getting a lot of the good DC city players instead of losing them to the suburbs or private schools. The DC youth league is very good, they send a couple of teams to Florida every year for that championship tournament, but the high schools are bad because the kids don't enroll in DC schools. The head coach that was coaching in that video left a few years ago and was an assistant at the Univ. of Alabama and now he's an assistant at the Univ. of Maryland. The other thing that happened was the other DC public schools complained about recruiting and Friendship has more difficulty getting players in now. They were good last year but they lost about 18 starters. Like I said, they do bring in kids but I doubt if they can produce a highly competitive team this fall. If FH signed a two year contract the 2018 game might be interesting.

In terms of the Fairmont Heights game, they don't have a good football program. This is what happens when you schedule teams that aren't serious about football. The same issues the AD is having probably filters down, although the Head Coach seems to know what he's doing and is trying to change the culture there. Isn't this the same problem you had with Capitol Christian? Lack of communication and confusion about game dates. You're not going to have this problem with real football schools like Douglass, Gwynn Park, etc. Also, Central usually has a pretty good team. They should be a tough opponent if that game is made.

Overall this is a good schedule. Fort Hill will probably still be favored in every game but there are a lot of interesting matchups.

Since 2012 Friendship is 35-22, oh sooo tough Central is 10-40.

Friendship has DeMatha on this falls schedule too! They finished 10-2 late year, and beat Gilman 22-0 in 2016. Sounds pretty solid to me! Again, haters gonna hate...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT