ADVERTISEMENT

FH vs Cotoctin game time

Congrats Catoctin. Next weeks game will be interesting. It should be a great game!

Class of 2020 terrible performance

Look at the student body rushing the field. Old school.

Was I wrong? Did I say anything wrong on this board? You all knew they had weaknesses but were brash enough to suggested FH would win by 3 tds, not you specifically but this board in general. I never came on here chest bumping or talking shit. Just always said there wasnt a team left that was 2tds better than Catoctin. Was I wrong?

FH didn't have weaknesses, they didn't have anything for Catoctin. The only thing that slowed Catoctin down was the refs. Catoctin stomped FH's offensive line. Catoctin ran outside at will on FH. Hell, Catoctin didn't need to pass. FH got beat in every aspect of the game.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago he did say "I could say something but I'm trying to not go in that direction"...I think he's heard enough of the criticism to know sometimes he just needs to shut it.
Well he couldn't help himself. He couldn't take the high road and just give Catoctin all they deserved, he had to take a jab at FH fans. Then he doubled down and praised Catoctin again but in a way that was just slapping fh fans in the face. He said Catoctin has a lot of young vibrant fans in the stands...well maybe that's because they like their coach and they aren't bored off their asses at the games. Perhaps you are part of the problem and it's NOT the fans. Maybe he should look inside and see why FH's fan base is not what it used to be....he obviously doesn't think it has anything to do with the population. He called fh fans spoiled....well, why don't you elaborate on that and not talk in riddles, like you said you knew you were doing.
Lag you were right, somebody should not have let him talk. Once again after a rare loss he has shown who he really is.

Last edited:
Reactions: camper21502

FH didn't have weaknesses, they didn't have anything for Catoctin. The only thing that slowed FH down was the refs. Catoctin stomped FH's offensive line. Catoctin ran outside at will on FH. Hell, Catoctin didn't need to pass. FH got beat in every aspect of the game.
Playing a soft ass schedule didn't help this bunch

I agree this and this class has to own it

And I am not happy about it at all. I only kept watching.... because I couldn't believe what I was watching. I started to feel sorry for the kids and then I realized they were getting a thin slice of what the Allegany kids must have felt at Homecoming. It is a character building thing. It happens. You adjust and move on with your life.

Reactions: RedPride97
BrianH

Yep worst loss ever.. I hope BrianH is all right. I know he loves to talk about them running clocks...
Was he the one that said we'd put a running clock on them back at like week five when I said the ECP game would cost us in points and we'd have to go to catoctin?

And I am not happy about it at all. I only kept watching.... because I couldn't believe what I was watching. I started to feel sorry for the kids and then I realized they were getting a thin slice of what the Allegany kids must have felt at Homecoming. It is a character building thing. It happens. You adjust and move on with your life.

FH didn't beat Allegany this bad. They didn't get a slice, they got a couple of pies! lol

Me no i live in allegany county not Cumberland and your community is just as full of assholes
But none like you. Now go put away your rose colored glasses and lick your wounds. I suspect the FH kids will be over this one before you are. They’ll be back to contend again, as they always do and you can get your glasses back out and go back to pounding your chest. Have a nice night.

Catoctin waaayy better team. I hope they can beat Dunbar. No excuses of any kind, but FH picked the wrong time to play their worst game of the year. Unforced fumbles, 10 yard punt, sloppy tackling ( credit Catoctin's backs ), and throwing ( I think ) their 1st pass of the game in the 2nd half down 34-0. C'mon. FH could have played their best game and would still come up short, but at least put up a better fight.

Reactions: OneRing
Catoctin waaayy better team. I hope they can beat Dunbar. No excuses of any kind, but FH picked the wrong time to play their worst game of the year. Unforced fumbles, 10 yard punt, sloppy tackling ( credit Catoctin's backs ), and throwing ( I think ) their 1st pass of the game in the 2nd half down 34-0. C'mon. FH could have played their best game and would still come up short, but at least put up a better fight.
And for pete's sake, throw the damn ball on 1st and 2nd down. The one thing you can count on from FH when they're down - pound it up the middle. What happened to the TE slant, pop pass? Why do they always wait until 3rd down and then try and throw the bomb. So predictable, geesh.

Just another bump in the road... like FH’s dominance is going to end any time soon. GL to both teams next week

Things happen when you find out you are up against something that you didn't expect... and what you didn't expect is that the team you are facing is every bit as good as you are... or, you suspect they may be better. I have never seen a FH team panic until now. Even their earlier loss was actually taken pretty much in stride.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
Things happen when you find out you are up against something that you didn't expect... and what you didn't expect is that the team you are facing is every bit as good as you are... or, you suspect they may be better. I have never seen a FH team panic until now. Even their earlier loss was actually taken pretty much in stride.
FH is not used to playing on the road in the playoffs, and as Appel said their fans were wild and loud and crazy, and that can shake you up if you aren't used to it. FH has no home field advantage anymore when it comes to fans and noise, it's like a mausoleum at times. This was a shock as much as the team they faced not being the pushovers they were last year.

Well he couldn't help himself. He couldn't take the high road and just give Catoctin all they deserved, he had to take a jab at FH fans. Then he doubled down and praised Catoctin again but in a way that was just slapping fh fans in the face. He said Catoctin has a lot of young vibrant fans in the stands...well maybe that's because they like their coach and they aren't bored off their asses at the games. Perhaps you are part of the problem and it's NOT the fans. Maybe he should look inside and see why FH's fan base is not what it used to be....he obviously doesn't think it has anything to do with the population. He called fh fans spoiled....well, why don't you elaborate on that and not talk in riddles, like you said you knew you were doing.
Lag you were right, somebody should not have let him talk. Once again after a rare loss he has shown who he really is.
did he really do an interview? I had on WCBC and the Live Video at the same time and didn't hear anything.
I'm pretty sure Appel is Retiring after Tonight and think it was pretty much a done deal before Tonight.
to me he will go down as the best coach in School History with a 142-16 Record
a Playoff record of 34-7
5 State Championships, 7 State Championship Appearances in 12 Seasons
The Bad is This Night and How it looks like it ended with the worst lost in School History.
I will always see him as the Best Coach in FH History no Matter what with Calhoun 2nd Bill Hahn 3rd Charlie Lattimer 4th
Now the Question is Who takes over at FH and Do they bring in other assistants? especially Coordinators as this was the first year that had a real turnover with longtime Coaches leaving the program.

did he really do an interview? I had on WCBC and the Live Video at the same time and didn't hear anything.
I'm pretty sure Appel is Retiring after Tonight and think it was pretty much a done deal before Tonight.
a Playoff record of 34-7
The Bad is This Night and How it looks like it ended with the worst lost in School History.
I will always see him as the Best Coach in FH History no Matter what with Calhoun 2nd Bill Hahn 3rd Charlie Lattimer 4th
Now the Question is Who takes over at FH and Do they bring in other assistants? especially Coordinators as this was the first year that had a real turnover with longtime Coaches leaving the program.
Shook is the guy

a Playoff record of 34-7
It was on wtbo, yes he actually did an interview, cried the whole time, and just trashed the fh community in general. You can't thank the fans and then say how they aren't loud or supportive...make up your dam mind.
If this was his last game I'm pretty sure he'll remember it. A big old slice of humble pie was served!

a Playoff record of 34-7
If this is the end. I feel bad for my coach. Those kids gave him hardly anything tonight, and frankly, as an alum, this was embarrassing. In every form of the word. No heart from the word GO. The kids from Catoctin wanted it, the FH kids didn't.

FH didn't have weaknesses, they didn't have anything for Catoctin. The only thing that slowed FH down was the refs. Catoctin stomped FH's offensive line. Catoctin ran outside at will on FH. Hell, Catoctin didn't need to pass. FH got beat in every aspect of the game.
That’s very true. They were better prepared and better coached
a Playoff record of 34-7
a Playoff record of 34-7
I believe he is the best coach also. What he’s done in the last seven or eight years is remarkable but I really do believe that the days are gone forever where you can run run run and not pass the ball and win. The game is changing and everyone can see it

I'm glad I didn't hear it. Folks who buy into the program and take the long ride down and support the team... Oh, and what about the band... The support.... You gotta thank the parents... the band and everyone who supported this team. Oh man. It does no good to say I spotted this guy years ago. Oh well, look... now is the time for the parents and fans of FH to support these young men!!!

I'm glad I didn't hear it. Folks who buy into the program and take the long ride down and support the team... Oh, and what about the band... The support.... You gotta thank the parents... the band and everyone who supported this team. Oh man. It does no good to say I spotted this guy years ago. Oh well, look... now is the time for the parents and fans of FH to support these young men!!!
You have mentioned the lack of support from the Allegany band and I honestly believe that's where things really started to go south for Alco. When the band stopped being a football band and not showing up a lot of fans stopped showing up too. There are families of those band members that started going to band events instead of games obviously but a band adds a lot. The Fort HIll band is the most dedicated football band I know of and to say that Catoctin has a young vibrant fan base and FH doesn't is dissing the band altogether. The sad fact is without them there would have been FH games with almost nobody in the stands...and Coach Appel, they are young vibrant fans!

But none like you. Now go put away your rose colored glasses and lick your wounds. I suspect the FH kids will be over this one before you are. They’ll be back to contend again, as they always do and you can get your glasses back out and go back to pounding your chest. Have a nice night.
Friday's over my friend for me it will be the deer woods in the am and trip to Hines field to see the Steelers beat the browns Sunday enjoy the win and keep going

a Playoff record of 34-7
He's had one foot out the door all year and if he's gonna say shit like that then get going

He's had one foot out the door all year and if he's gonna say shit like that then get going
It honestly just hasn't seemed like he's in a good place for several years. If you aren't happy you shouldn't be what you are doing, but for gods sake don't try and drag others down with you.
I'll be very interested to see what Helmick's analysis is of all this. He is very insightful, gives lots of factual info., and even though I don't always agree with him I respect the hell out of what he tries to do for the program.
I was adamant ECP was a huge mistake, and he disagreed and said the loss didn't cost anything. I felt it cost a home game and that could cost us the game...I still believe that. FH does not get whooped at home by this team. Do they get beat....maybe. This team was not good enough to beat Catoctin or Dunbar on the road which is why I thought home field was imperative.

Reactions: Tony54
You have mentioned the lack of support from the Allegany band and I honestly believe that's where things really started to go south for Alco. When the band stopped being a football band and not showing up a lot of fans stopped showing up too. There are families of those band members that started going to band events instead of games obviously but a band adds a lot. The Fort HIll band is the most dedicated football band I know of and to say that Catoctin has a young vibrant fan base and FH doesn't is dissing the band altogether. The sad fact is without them there would have been FH games with almost nobody in the stands...and Coach Appel, they are young vibrant fans!

A coach is an 'in loco parentis' both in heart and leadership....

Population aside. Yes. But again, thank the folks that show up. I loved the Northern fans who showed up and supported the team. A coach has to be bigger than any event. He has to be the coach with a string of wins and championships not a coach that just lost a game.

I agree with this a little bit, I have always hated that the Allegany Band isn't at the football games like they were in the 80's & 90's. there was so much Pride at Allegany games back in those days and now it's bad.
FH used to be so much different as well.
Now they play such a bad schedule that even though you used to blow out Teams year in year out it was still Teams that we were all used to seeing Hesdgesville, Martinsburg, Musselman, Jefferson, north Hagerstown, South Hagerstown but at least we knew why they played them. Nowadays it's Green St Academy, Silver Oak Academy, Capital Christian & MATHS. I used to want to see 4-5 games a year now this year I watched 1 and then watched later so I could skip through parts later on the Stream.
The Games always feel dead. The last time it was a Great Experience was the Melbourne Catholic Game.
it really hurts not playing Martinsburg or Keyser anymore. Adding Northern next year won't hurt right away but if they win a few years by 40-50 even those local games will have Empty Seats All around...
2007 they beat northern 45-6
2008 they beat northern 42-7
2015 playoffs they beat northern 33-6
2016 playoffs they beat northern 42-6
so they are 4-0 against Northern Garrett with No close Games and not Northern's fault they are a well coached small school.
They have beaten Southern Garrett 15 Straight times with the last loss coming back in 2001 by a 3-7 FH Team, their worst Team in School History.
They are 20-2 VS Southern All Time.
They are 13-0 All Time vs Mountain Ridge
They have beaten Allegany 15 Straight.
So Having a League with these teams makes absolutely No Sense at All unless the games are just gonna be played in front of their parents only. The Stadium will just be Empty and to my point about a month ago it's time to consolidate.
Allegany's Football Program is on it's last breath and FH's is still kicking even after Tonight just won't sustain the financial downfall that is happening because of the smaller town with dwindling population but also no interest in blowouts week after week of teams that have no chance of beating them other than 1 out of 20 years.

It honestly just hasn't seemed like he's in a good place for several years. If you aren't happy you shouldn't be what you are doing, but for gods sake don't try and drag others down with you.
I'll be very interested to see what Helmick's analysis is of all this. He is very insightful, gives lots of factual info., and even though I don't always agree with him I respect the hell out of what he tries to do for the program.
I was adamant ECP was a huge mistake, and he disagreed and said the loss didn't cost anything. I felt it cost a home game and that could cost us the game...I still believe that. FH does not get whooped at home by this team. Do they get beat....maybe. This team was not good enough to beat Catoctin or Dunbar on the road which is why I thought home field was imperative.

I have bumped heads with Helmick a lot. But I like him a lot. (Probably the kiss of death here.) He would be my pic as coach of FH and the coach of a consolidated school. I like the cut of his gib, as they say. You need a guy who understands football as well as a guy who understands community... the ability to get kids a scholarship is an additional plus. As an Alco guy... Give the job to Helmick.

I have bumped heads with Helmick a lot. But I like him a lot. (Probably the kiss of death here.) He would be my pic as coach of FH and the coach of a consolidated school. I like the cut of his gib, as they say. You need a guy who understands football as well as a guy who understands community... the ability to get kids a scholarship is an additional plus. As an Alco guy... Give the job to Helmick.
I think it's classy when you can disagree with somebody and still respect them.
I hadn't thought of him as coach but I'll second it!!

Reactions: Tony54
I agree it would be a good choice, the problem here is they have dumb rules that you have to give it to someone that is in the school system if they want it.
I've always thought it was best to hire someone from out of the area that didn't have ties to the school just like years ago I thought Allegany should of hired Alan Fiddler

If this is the end. I feel bad for my coach. Those kids gave him hardly anything tonight, and frankly, as an alum, this was embarrassing. In every form of the word. No heart from the word GO. The kids from Catoctin wanted it, the FH kids didn't.

The fact that they weren't prepared is coaching. The lack of the line to stand up is really his fault.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
I agree it would be a good choice, the problem here is they have dumb rules that you have to give it to someone that is in the school system if they want it.
I've always thought it was best to hire someone from out of the area that didn't have ties to the school just like years ago I thought Allegany should of hired Alan Fiddler

Helmick has a college education. They could hire him as some bullshit doodle. It ain't like anybody is getting a frickin' first class education today.... my opinion. Maybe he could be the first example of someone actually hired because they are perfect for the job. How novel.

I was recognized in county media and government for my contribution to youth sports. There is no reason that the county can't come together and get Appel off the mic and put Helmick on it.

Reactions: RedPride97
Fort Hill had a great season and has had an impressive run over the last decade. It's hard for fans to admit but sometimes the other team is just better.

I don't know the future of Coach Appel as rumors abound of his pending retirement. He has built a great program and if he does retire will leave it in great shape for his predecessor.

Coaching at the high school level is tough and football without a doubt is the toughest coaching job. The coach never gets a break with people wanting 24/7 access oftentimes for selfish reasons. Phones, social media and the net have been a game changer for sure.

You just don't see guys doing it for 20-30 years like you did in the past. It wears on people. I have friends in the coaching circle who are great men and leaders and what they deal with is unbelievable.

They all deal with same issues: self-centerdness, entitlement and the best part of their day is usually the 2-3 hours they spend with their players apart from all of the other noise. Whatever Coach Appel decides to do I wish him the best.

@Blueandwhite10 Not all that surprised that Catoctin won the game but still shocked they completely blew FH out. While I do think FH is a much better team than they showed last night, I think they were intimidated and just assumed because they are Fort Hill they would somehow just come away with a win. They came out flat from the get go, while Cats were on fire. Hats off to Catoctin! Wow! Not taking anything away from the talent of their kids but I was super impressed with how prepared they were. They knew everything FH was gonna do before they did it and dominated completely. Well-deserved victory! Good luck next week

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT