ADVERTISEMENT

FH-ALCO Homecoming

Why are the leaving to chase a ring, because FH is a better school academically, better competition or because of him? My guess is because of him.. I’ve heard so much negativity from parents of players about Hansel I don’t know how he doesn’t realize it’s him. If the assistants are the issue at Alco, didn’t he bring the assistants in. I believe 1 he knows from college. A good head coach should be a leader, he shouldn’t have allowed them to run Jeff off. He should get the right assistants and the culture should start with the head coach

Reactions: Dwj21
Also, this...

https://www.times-news.com/sports/l...cle_cd671bdc-75cc-11ee-bc87-db8eb7c4cdb7.html

"We gotta keep our kids on this side of town," he (Hansel) said, "I know it's attractive with the pretty girls across town, but we need our guys to stay home."

What a really odd way to say that.
I mean it’s impossible for Brian to stand there and say that his kids are leaving because the cross town rival has better coaching, a better program, and is winning everything in sight. Maybe “pretty girls” was the wrong analogy but the analogy is there.

Why are the leaving to chase a ring, because FH is a better school academically, better competition or because of him? My guess is because of him.. I’ve heard so much negativity from parents of players about Hansel I don’t know how he doesn’t realize it’s him. If the assistants are the issue at Alco, didn’t he bring the assistants in. I believe 1 he knows from college. A good head coach should be a leader, he shouldn’t have allowed them to run Jeff off. He should get the right assistants and the culture should start with the head coach

You're right, he did hire all the guys on his staff. But Cumberland has less than 19,000 people and a few thousand others living in the surrounding area. That's way too small of a talent pool to go find a bunch of good, qualified and willing guys who are willing to put the time into being assistant coaches. It's definitely hard to get and then keep a good crew like that.

You're right, he did hire all the guys on his staff. But Cumberland has less than 19,000 people and a few thousand others living in the surrounding area. That's way too small of a talent pool to go find a bunch of good, qualified and willing guys who are willing to put the time into being assistant coaches. It's definitely hard to get and then keep a good crew like that.
FH does it. Why can't Alco. Most of FH coaches, if not all, are former players. It can be done. Don't make excuses. There's plenty of former Alco players that would step up I bet.

I wonder what the ALCO Principal has to say about all this? She is in charge of the school and its activities/faculty/athletics. Does she want a competitive football team?

Reactions: ConeyIsland
Who did alco beat this year? Hollidaysburg is the best I see and those tigers have no bite. The only decent teams played were all losses. Dont believe this alco team is all their fans believe especially in comparison to fh. I couldn't believe all the talk before this game about it being close. Fantasies are all that is left it appears. the red domination isn't new. Been that way since the mid 1990s.

Odd is not the word to use. Creepy and cringy are the appropriate words.

This was posted by a former Alco player:

"Allegany head coach blames it on the pretty girls at fort hill…… I’m biting my tongue and rage as a father of teenage girls…you have more talent on your team then you know what to do with…… I will take the high road and demand you resign for the best interests of those athletes presently and past…. do us and yourself a favor

Seek help for you focusing and being distracted by high school girls before one of us fathers ends your world"
So I've been asking Allegany posters for a couple years how long before their adoration of Hansel was going to end? It has been said over and over he's a great guy, he gets the players, he understands what it takes to win, everybody respects him, he is turning things around...blahblahblabhblabh..that only lasts so long. When you haven't beaten your rival since you took over, and you are the third best team in the area every year, nice has a shelf life. This latest statement may or may not be interpreted the way he intended it but it isn't going to help him.
On this matter of kids not staying at Alco - does he honestly believe if the players that have done this were sent back that no other FH player would step into that role, be coached up, and do as good a job or maybe even better. You never know how his coaching and his staff might turn them into just average players instead of the great players they became under the FH staff.

Who did alco beat this year? Hollidaysburg is the best I see and those tigers have no bite. The only decent teams played were all losses. Dont believe this alco team is all their fans believe especially in comparison to fh. I couldn't believe all the talk before this game about it being close. Fantasies are all that is left it appears. the red domination isn't new. Been that way since the mid 1990s.
I posted this question the week before the game this week. There wasn't one team on their schedule that could compare to BW, Wadsworth, Or New Oxford. One could argue Oakdale but let's remember how outclassed Oakdale was by FH so losing to them is not a feather in your cap.
If anybody needs to change their schedule it's Allegany. Add some big boys to the schedule and maybe when you play FH you won't be so shocked by what is truly a quality team.

I wonder what the ALCO Principal has to say about all this? She is in charge of the school and its activities/faculty/athletics. Does she want a competitive football team?
well she can't get rid of him, In Allegany Coaches can't be fired for losing... There has to be an actual reason to fire them other than losing. they could lose 50 games in a row and keep their job.
Allegany for some reason just doesn't have the former players stepping up to Coach like FH has over the years

Reactions: ConeyIsland
who would allegany fans want to see be the coach? If Hansel just up and quits, who would everyone want to be the new coach? Keep in mind no one wanted the job when hansel took over so who you want and who could take it could be drastically different

Maybe Todd Appel would consider coming back to Cumberland.
Why would he? He's about to get another ring on the Decatur staff.

"He teaches at Stephen Decatur High School in Berlin, where he's an assistant football coach. “It's always what I loved to do, and I'm thankful that God's given me the ability to do it, and I still can do it,” Appel said of coaching football. “It's where my energy goes, my passion goes.”May 1, 2023
https://www.times-news.com › sports

Todd Appel enters Md. Coaching Hall of Fame | Local Sports"​

Why would he? He's about to get another ring on the Decatur staff.

"He teaches at Stephen Decatur High School in Berlin, where he's an assistant football coach. “It's always what I loved to do, and I'm thankful that God's given me the ability to do it, and I still can do it,” Appel said of coaching football. “It's where my energy goes, my passion goes.”May 1, 2023
https://www.times-news.com › sports

Todd Appel enters Md. Coaching Hall of Fame | Local Sports"​

Man I'm so behind the latest, when did he leave Snow Hill? That program was down for so long I thought he went there to help resurrect it.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Man I'm so behind the latest, when did he leave Snow Hill? That program was down for so long I thought he went there to help resurrect it.
I assume starting with the 2022/23 school year as that article was in May of 2023. I know he was still at Snow Hill in 2021 because when Quan died they had a prayer circle between Snow Hill and their opponent that weekend.

The Stephen Decatur program will be strong moving forward. The head coach. Jake Coleman, is an eastern shore guy who played at Cambridge and then Salisbury. I played baseball with him at SU but he also played football there. He was the head coach at Cambridge for like 13 years then came on as an assistant at Decatur and then took over a few years back. He's got talent last year that are mostly back this year. And with the addition of Appel I feel like that program will be tops for awhile.

Last edited:
Why are we comparing Alco to Fort Hill?. They have a really good team this year. If Fort Hill wasn’t in 1a who would you pick to win the state championship?. Mountain ridge would probably be the favorite or Alco.
It’s not fair to compare the highest winning percentage team in all of high school football to Alco. It’s not a stretch to think that Fort Hill would be the favorite in all classes this year and co-favorites with QO in 4a

Why are we comparing Alco to Fort Hill?. They have a really good team this year. If Fort Hill wasn’t in 1a who would you pick to win the state championship?. Mountain ridge would probably be the favorite or Alco.
It’s not fair to compare the highest winning percentage team in all of high school football to Alco. It’s not a stretch to think that Fort Hill would be the favorite in all classes this year and co-favorites with QO in 4a
#facts

"I’m biting my tongue and rage.....Seek help for you focusing and being distracted by high school girls before one of us fathers ends your world".... Ouch! If using the benchmark of 'reasonable and prudent'... this guy's response to Hansel's innocuous comment projects a rationale for an EROP. I mean.... "Holy shitcakes!" "What the fug," says I. If they hadn't found the body in Maine I would have thought that guy ended up in Cumberland. Also, brings to mind Bogart's film noir line, "The cheaper the hood, the gaudier the patter" a' la the Maltese Falcon.

If there were enough red jerseys to go around... every kid playing football in Cumberland could get a championship ring..... and that... I'm fairly sure... is the 'pretty' of which Hansel speaks.
Say what you mean and don't mix words that sound creepy.

You don't get to interpret what he meant. Only he can speak for himself. He said pretty girls and that was his phrasing and is in the paper for everyone to see. Idc what you think he said or anyone else. His words came across as cringe to a large portion of the local population and he needs to answer for that.

"I’m biting my tongue and rage.....Seek help for you focusing and being distracted by high school girls before one of us fathers ends your world".... Ouch! If using the benchmark of 'reasonable and prudent'... this guy's response to Hansel's innocuous comment projects a rationale for an EROP. I mean.... "Holy shitcakes!" "What the fug," says I. If they hadn't found the body in Maine I would have thought that guy ended up in Cumberland. Also, brings to mind Bogart's film noir line, "The cheaper the hood, the gaudier the patter" a' la the Maltese Falcon.
Calm down. I just stated some facts. I’m sure Hansel thought his comments wouldn’t be taken so serious

Reactions: Lagmeister

You don't get to interpret what he meant. Only he can speak for himself. He said pretty girls and that was his phrasing and is in the paper for everyone to see. Idc what you think he said or anyone else. His words came across as cringe to a large portion of the local population and he needs to answer for that.
They words are cringe. I can't speak for him, but he would probably love a do-over. I can't imagine Cumberland area high school coaches (or players) get media training, but perhaps that's something the BOE should look at for head coaches. In a world where everyone takes everything so literally, he messed up. But unless you've had a microphone or voice recorder jammed in your face, you really don't understand how stressful that can be....especially if you're in a high stress situation or emotionally connected to something as the media is seeking comment. It's easy to get caught off guard and for something to come out of your mouth that you wouldn't normally say...especially if you had a moment to think or time to prepare for the question.
It's easy for everyone to say they wouldn't have said that or used that phrase to convey a point. Again, I agree, horrible choice. But, we don't have to be literal Larry's. We can allow someone Grace for their mistake. I mean, while a stupid choice of words, it's just words, and a victimless crime--even in this court of public opinion

They words are cringe. I can't speak for him, but he would probably love a do-over. I can't imagine Cumberland area high school coaches (or players) get media training, but perhaps that's something the BOE should look at for head coaches. In a world where everyone takes everything so literally, he messed up. But unless you've had a microphone or voice recorder jammed in your face, you really don't understand how stressful that can be....especially if you're in a high stress situation or emotionally connected to something as the media is seeking comment. It's easy to get caught off guard and for something to come out of your mouth that you wouldn't normally say...especially if you had a moment to think or time to prepare for the question.
It's easy for everyone to say they wouldn't have said that or used that phrase to convey a point. Again, I agree, horrible choice. But, we don't have to be literal Larry's. We can allow someone Grace for their mistake. I mean, while a stupid choice of words, it's just words, and a victimless crime--even in this court of public opinion
Grace can be given when he acknowledges his mistake and retracts his statement then explains what he meant. I think that's the least he can do, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: ravemwp
Grace can be given when he acknowledges his mistake and retracts his statement then explains what he meant. I think that's he least he can do, right?
If this is garnering as much attention in the community as it is here, I hope he gets the opportunity to clarify what he meant and to apologize for the way he said it

Reactions: Tony54
who would allegany fans want to see be the coach? If Hansel just up and quits, who would everyone want to be the new coach? Keep in mind no one wanted the job when hansel took over so who you want and who could take it could be drastically different
One person on top of my list for assistant would be Shawn Ricker. He recently got out if coaching girls basketball at Calvary, so probably not interested. There are a few that would do a great job, Shawn would be in top of the list.

The only thing Hansel owes to the community is probably the back of his hand as he waves goodbye. The only 'creepy' I see is a threat against him. That needs an apology and probably a visit from clergy.... and for that matter.... the only 'large portion' I see in Cumberland is a collection of FH 1A trophies.... oh, and piss-poor attitudes.

The only thing Hansel owes to the community is probably the back of his hand as he waves goodbye. The only 'creepy' I see is a threat against him. That needs an apology and probably a visit from clergy.... and for that matter.... the only 'large portion' I see in Cumberland is a collection of FH 1A trophies.... oh, and piss-poor attitudes.
Right right. Typical for most people to accept that behavior and just treat it as nothing.

As for the trophies at FH expect them to continue to grow. Is that piss poor enough?

Right right. Typical for most people to accept that behavior and just treat it as nothing.

As for the trophies at FH expect them to continue to grow. Is that piss poor enough?
"Right right" about what what.... "that behavior" about the threat yes/no... "piss poor" as in trashing a coach after trashing the team on the field yes/no

"Right right" about what what.... "that behavior" about the threat yes/no... "piss poor" as in trashing a coach after trashing the team on the field yes/no
His comment was inappropriate whether you choose to believe it or not.

Right right is my way of saying typical male behavior of condoning inappropriate comments or actions. It is typical that you are making nothing of it and sweeping it under the rug and then making Hansel the victim. Ayfs?

This is wrong! It is never appropriate, under any circumstances, to ever comment on the physical appearance of any underage person, male or female. Especially as a person in power.

So, right, right, continue the course of accepting trash behavior.

Also, who trashed the team on the field? Confused about that one.

Alco beat Keyser. 56 to 13
Alco beat Northern 57 to 21

If you think they are terrible, or that they’re poorly coached, you have no freaking clue about football

Fort hill is just one hell of a team and that’s it. STOP THE COMPARISONS

His comment was inappropriate whether you choose to believe it or not.

Right right is my way of saying typical male behavior of condoning inappropriate comments or actions. It is typical that you are making nothing of it and sweeping it under the rug and then making Hansel the victim. Ayfs?

This is wrong! It is never appropriate, under any circumstances, to ever comment on the physical appearance of any underage person, male or female. Especially as a person in power.

So, right, right, continue the course of accepting trash behavior.

Also, who trashed the team on the field? Confused about that one.
Thanks for clarifying.... Are you the person who made the threat to Hansel?

Bad choice of words, bad analogy. Probably getting more attention than then it should, but certainly shouldn't be swept under the rug as well. His silence on the matter doesn't help. I don't necessarily think he needs to apologize to anyone inperticular or be vilified, just acknowledge the statement was unnecessary and a bad choice of words. Let's all be reasonable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT