ADVERTISEMENT

FH-ALCO Homecoming

No. I am not a former Alco player.
.... Maybe the person who wants to end someone's world hears voices convincing them of all kinds of things.... nonetheless, this Hansel hatred (now apparently men in general and hatred of all high-school-boys-may-follow-high-school-girls metaphors) displays a clockwork orange level of dystopia. So, until later. I think I understand all that I will understand....

.... Maybe the person who wants to end someone's world hears voices convincing them of all kinds of things.... nonetheless, this Hansel hatred (now apparently men in general and hatred of all high-school-boys-may-follow-high-school-girls metaphors) displays a clockwork orange level of dystopia. So, until later. I think I understand all that I will understand....
This board was better without you on it

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." - Jonathon Swift

Hansel lost a lot of integrity when he jumped on the bandwagon with Southern’s Nasalbooger’s attempt to disparage Appel with the frivolous “helmet-gate” accusation, when he was sending messages to other coaches. However, this comment he made is just a bad attempt at a joke out of frustration after losing a game, that’s all it is. I agree with what other’s have said before about coaches and media after games. Coaches should take a step back and compose themselves after an emotional game before interviewing. Take 20, if the media guy does not want to wait on the field tell him to call later.

FH does it. Why can't Alco. Most of FH coaches, if not all, are former players. It can be done. Don't make excuses. There's plenty of former Alco players that would step up I bet.
I agree, it could be done in theory, but that's where Hansel comes in. A good head coach recruits good assistants, coaches alongside them and lets them coach their position and/or side of the ball. That hasn't happened. I think there are plenty of former Alco players that would help out if they trusted the current dynamic, but the Jeff Link example from earlier exposes that.

I agree, it could be done in theory, but that's where Hansel comes in. A good head coach recruits good assistants, coaches alongside them and lets them coach their position and/or side of the ball. That hasn't happened. I think there are plenty of former Alco players that would help out if they trusted the current dynamic, but the Jeff Link example from earlier exposes that.
And that's a shame...

Reactions: ConeyIsland
Maybe Todd Appel would consider coming back to Cumberland.

No shot. Decatur's head coach will probably step aside soon so he can travel to watch his kid play in college, so Todd has likely been maneuvering for that job. Plus, Heidi is retiring soon and there's no way Todd would gamble on inheriting another principal who didn't hire him.

Reactions: Tony54
According to cal preps FH wins by a lot still. 42-17 FH. 95% chance to win game.

I see you found the #1 Fort Hill hater on the other board. All you have to do is mention them and he'll bring up accusations that happened 15 years ago and treat them as facts without any shred of evidence thinking it's some kind of "gotcha" moment.

• Haha
Reactions: ravemwp and Dwj21
I see you found the #1 Fort Hill hater on the other board. All you have to do is mention them and he'll bring up accusations that happened 15 years ago and treat them as facts without any shred of evidence thinking it's some kind of "gotcha" moment.
I'm going to enjoy ruffling his feathers for sure!

Last edited:
Let's clarify the whole "pretty girls" on the other side reference and other bemoaning by posters here about Braddock kids coming to FH. I won't name names to protect kids.

There are 2 players starting on FH varsity that played for Braddock. One came there to play basketball, not to win football rings. He just decided to gridiron his last year after sitting 2 years. The other is a soph that starts. I have no clue why.

At the JV level there are 2 more. Both of their fathers were coaches at Braddock the year prior at the highest level. I won't elaborate but winning rings has nothing to do with it. Ask them and I'm guessing the answer won't be popular.

On the flip side FH this off-season had one kid transfer to Frankfort and another who transferred to Northern and started and he came from Ridgeley originally. The past few years there have been some really good players playing for Alco but living in the heart of South Cumberland. Another came here from DC and found his way to the West Side to find time on varsity as a frosh. Point is...

Kids will bounce around. Always have. But it's very small scale. A few make it sound like 5 or 6 kids are transferring to win a ring. Sorry coach, but 2 kids who didnt want to wear blue is not the reason for getting beat 40-7 before one team puts their subs in at Homecoming.

Last edited:
Let's clarify the whole "pretty girls" on the other side reference and other bemoaning by posters here about Braddock kids coming to FH. I won't name names to protect kids.

There are 2 players starting on FH varsity that played for Braddock. One came there to play basketball, not to win football rings. He just decided to gridiron his last year after sitting 2 years. The other is a soph that starts. I have no clue why.

At the JV level there are 2 more. Both of their fathers were coaches at Braddock the year prior at the highest level. I won't elaborate but winning rings has nothing to do with it. Ask them and I'm guessing the answer won't be popular.

On the flip side FH this off-season had one kid transfer to Frankfort and another who transferred to Northern and started and he came from Ridgeley originally. The past few years there have been some really good players playing for Alco but living in the heart of South Cumberland. Another came here from DC and found his way to the West Side to find time on varsity as a frosh. Point is...

Kids will bounce around. Always have. But it's very small scale. A few make it sound like 5 or 6 kids are transferring to win a ring. Sorry coach, but 2 kids who didnt want to wear blue is not the reason for getting beat 40-7 before one team puts their subs in at Homecoming.
Clap, clap, clap!

Reactions: Tony54 and ravemwp

That is spot on. I had this conversation with an Alco person on Saturday. I will name names. The comment went something like, just like basketball, Allen, Seifarth, and Brown should not have been allowed to play. When I mentioned that the Looker girl transfered from FH to Alco and starred in multiple sports. The return response was "that's different". I remember in the seventies, when kids got cut from the band or drill team, they would transfer to the other and vice versa. Kids here have been going to their school of choice for many, many decades for their own interests. Here it seems that people only care about the football players. Get over it already. We as adults seem to forget that all of this is about the best interests of the kids. Never have I ever heard a complaint about a West Side kid playing in Fort Hills band, or a South End kid being an Arrowette. Oh let me guess, that scenario has never happened.

Hansel lost a lot of integrity when he jumped on the bandwagon with Southern’s Nasalbooger’s attempt to disparage Appel with the frivolous “helmet-gate” accusation, when he was sending messages to other coaches. However, this comment he made is just a bad attempt at a joke out of frustration after losing a game, that’s all it is. I agree with what other’s have said before about coaches and media after games. Coaches should take a step back and compose themselves after an emotional game before interviewing. Take 20, if the media guy does not want to wait on the field tell him to call later.
I simply had to come back.... jump in.... and compliment your post. If memory serves, you have always been a succinct voice of reason. (In full disclosure I do not claim the same for myself.)

I remember Appel publicly discussing a student's poor grades after a game... nothing resulted from it other than posts in this forum, rightfully so.

And.... then we get to my real issue of "end your world" threats because "It is never appropriate, under any circumstances, to ever comment on the physical appearance of any underage person..." - Dwj21

In advance of Thanksgiving, I must caution my wife not to gush....nay even comment (as she is oft want to do)... on how lovely our granddaughter looks.

Oh..... is Gender Queer a Memoir by Maia Kobabe in the Cumberland school libraries.

I simply had to come back.... jump in.... and compliment your post. If memory serves, you have always been a succinct voice of reason. (In full disclosure I do not claim the same for myself.)

I remember Appel publicly discussing a student's poor grades after a game... nothing resulted from it other than posts in this forum, rightfully so.

And.... then we get to my real issue of "end your world" threats because "It is never appropriate, under any circumstances, to ever comment on the physical appearance of any underage person..." - Dwj21

In advance of Thanksgiving, I must caution my wife not to gush....nay even comment (as she is oft want to do)... on how lovely our granddaughter looks.

Oh..... is Gender Queer a Memoir by Maia Kobabe in the Cumberland school libraries.
For the record, I was passing along someone else's view on what he said. I never said I condone what he said nor am I for violence or any type. I just found it interesting and the comment by Hansel was brought up here.

For the record, I was passing along someone else's view on what he said. I never said I condone what he said nor am I for violence or any type. I just found it interesting and the comment by Hansel was brought up here.
Duly noted. We're good.

This discussion is as old as this forum... tiresome catarrh it is. The demographic shift is generational. To suggest that the same number of athletes attend both schools is to suggest that a third of the FH team shouldn't even be in uniform.

Nice recap Todd.

Reactions: Tony54
Just watched a clip of Daniels 5 TD’s, not once was he hit in the end zone. Even the short runs he walked in untouched.

Let's not forget that there was a whole family of boys who starred at Alco over the past decade while all living in the deepest of South End in Little Egypt. I won't mention names but it starts with R and ends in obinette.
Yes.... beat Dunbar and still couldn't beat FH.... then again... FH couldn't beat Dunbar.... Who says you can't go home again..... well, at least in a forum you can...

The legendary Bum Phillips defines the proof of a great coach as one who "can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." (ugh... how true is that really?)

By that metric, FH would be 0 - 4 against local teams by just shifting FH's coaching staff between schools.... shucks.... Southern, with an inspired FH staff, could easily find another couple dozen or so brawny 'yutes' at their school... reform and pack their line to defeat FH..... that is.... with 'Big Red' coaching. Okay....Yep.... the entire thought is silly. Demographics will win out.

Deon Sanders is one of the true multi-sport athletes of our time.... as well as a great coach. He could only go so far at Colorado. And sure.... watch the games... once disheartened, he had players standing around on defense resulting in losses.... happens when you are over matched.

For me.... I haven't followed Alco football for years. I have enjoyed watching the Commercial vids of FH playing - and yes defeating - schools up to their level. I continue to do so....

Along with that, it is always a plus to notice Todd's contribution to area sports as he deals with today's problematic youth. He is a special person.

Last edited:
Yes.... beat Dunbar and still couldn't beat FH.... then again... FH couldn't beat Dunbar.... Who says you can't go home again..... well, at least in a forum you can...

The legendary Bum Phillips defines the proof of a great coach as one who "can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." (ugh... how true is that really?)

By that metric, FH would be 0 - 4 against local teams by just shifting FH's coaching staff between schools.... shucks.... Southern, with an inspired FH staff, could easily find another couple dozen or so brawny 'yutes' at their school... reform and pack their line to defeat FH..... that is.... with 'Big Red' coaching. Okay....Yep.... the entire thought is silly. Demographics will win out.

Deon Sanders is one of the true multi-sport athletes of our time.... as well as a great coach. He could only go so far at Colorado. And sure.... watch the games... once disheartened, he had players standing around on defense resulting in losses.... happens when you are over matched.

For me.... I haven't followed Alco football for years. I have enjoyed watching the Commercial vids of FH playing - and yes defeating - schools up to their level. I continue to do so....

Along with that, it is always a plus to notice Todd's contribution to area sports as he deals with today's problematic youth. He is a special person.
Dunbar wasn’t good enough to get to the final. If they would have been better they would have gotten smashed just like Douglas did

Reactions: Dwj21
Nice recap Todd.
Numbers are what they are. Those participation numbers vary from sport to sport not school to school. It would be great to see the same enthusiasm and talent numbers for baseball and softball at both city schools, but it isn't. Or for an undefeated Alco soccer team right now that looks unbeatable, spread some wealth. The world doesnt work this way. The reasons are the same from sport to sport. Winning breeds winning and participation. Especially when enrollment numbers are identical. Can make this any more simple.

Numbers are what they are. Those participation numbers vary from sport to sport not school to school. It would be great to see the same enthusiasm and talent numbers for baseball and softball at both city schools, but it isn't. Or for an undefeated Alco soccer team right now that looks unbeatable, spread some wealth. The world doesnt work this way. The reasons are the same from sport to sport. Winning breeds winning and participation. Especially when enrollment numbers are identical. Can make this any more simple.
Well, we can agree that the numbers are what they are. The statistical fact is that there are only so many athletes out of a population pool - the locale of that demographic can and does shift over time. Winning only breeds winning when the participating athletes suited for a particular sport are consistently better than the competition. Allegany's soccer athletes are not what is missing on their football team.

During the Robinette era Alco/FH had similar athletes capable of the contact that football demands.... and yes, coaching with similar talent and a bit of luck made the difference. Demographically, that no longer exists.

Oh... enrollment doesn't explain FH's ranking in the state but it does explain their guaranteed Championship.

Of course, all of this is mere forum fodder.

Well, we can agree that the numbers are what they are. The statistical fact is that there are only so many athletes out of a population pool - the locale of that demographic can and does shift over time. Winning only breeds winning when the participating athletes suited for a particular sport are consistently better than the competition. Allegany's soccer athletes are not what is missing on their football team.

During the Robinette era Alco/FH had similar athletes capable of the contact that football demands.... and yes, coaching with similar talent and a bit of luck made the difference. Demographically, that no longer exists.

Oh... enrollment doesn't explain FH's ranking in the state but it does explain their guaranteed Championship.

Of course, all of this is mere forum fodder.
2017 is the year you are referring to. You’re giddy over a week 1 home win against Dunbar still I see. That was a great win and yes that was a very good Allegany football team. But let’s not forget that they got their ass handed to them up at Chestnut Ridge and FH annihilated them 56-21 in Homecoming. Keep that Allegany team in perspective. They were definitely better than any other in the Hansel era. FH did lose to Dunbar 30-26 that year, it was a good game….very competitive.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth: the “robinette era” lasted from 2012-2018.

ALCOS record during that time: 46-21
FHs record during that time: 74-6
I wasn't aware that it took him 7 years to get out of high school. Look.... I was in Bill Macy's class at Alco. Seen a lot of Alco/FH football. The year Ty Johnson was in the homecoming game with Robinette was, to me, the last competitive game I saw between the schools. I started to attend FH games when in town and let Alco pass into memory.

• Haha
Reactions: Dwj21
2017 is the year you are referring to. You’re giddy over a week 1 home win against Dunbar still I see. That was a great win and yes that was a very good Allegany football team. But let’s not forget that they got their ass handed to them up at Chestnut Ridge and FH annihilated them 56-21 in Homecoming. Keep that Allegany team in perspective. They were definitely better than any other in the Hansel era. FH did lose to Dunbar 30-26 that year, it was a good game….very competitive.
At my age I don't do giddy. Come to think.... I might be the senior FH fan of the forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: theprocessworks
What's even more ironic about the whole "we have to keep our kids at Alco" comment is that Coach Hansel himself lived in FH territory when he played at Allegany. Just saying.

I agree the pretty girls thing was weird to say but I don't read much into that. That was just a really poor choice of a metaphor. But I DO read much more into Hansel's hypocrisy than anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT