ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Sentinels

westernMD

Hall of Fame Poster
Oct 30, 2001
Hats off to this team. This team was faced with a much more daunting task than the past 4 state champion Sentinels. They had to go up against a really good Allegany team, a very good Lackey team and a very talented Dunbar team. There were no playoff games against Northern or Smithsburg or Kent County. Once MPSSAA changed the classifications and regrouped 1A based on football schools and not total schools, that brought teams like Lackey, Douglass PG and Dunbar back down to 1A. So the road to a state championship got much tougher. Had the 2017 Sentinels faced the same 3 teams as the 2016 Sentinels in the playoffs, they would be state champs.

Two amazing and thrilling wins over Alco and Lackey but they fell a little short today. This was an incredible year for high school football, starting with the Alco/Dunbar game and ending with the FH/Dunbar game. Lots of exciting games in the stadium this year, most I have seen there in a long time. Both Allegany and FH were very good this year but the competition in 1A has gotten better and will be that way for a while.

Hats off to this team. This team was faced with a much more daunting task than the past 4 state champion Sentinels. They had to go up against a really good Allegany team, a very good Lackey team and a very talented Dunbar team. There were no playoff games against Northern or Smithsburg or Kent County. Once MPSSAA changed the classifications and regrouped 1A based on football schools and not total schools, that brought teams like Lackey, Douglass PG and Dunbar back down to 1A. So the road to a state championship got much tougher. Had the 2017 Sentinels faced the same 3 teams as the 2016 Sentinels in the playoffs, they would be state champs.

Two amazing and thrilling wins over Alco and Lackey but they fell a little short today. This was an incredible year for high school football, starting with the Alco/Dunbar game and ending with the FH/Dunbar game. Lots of exciting games in the stadium this year, most I have seen there in a long time. Both Allegany and FH were very good this year but the competition in 1A has gotten better and will be that way for a while.
could not have said it better, no more championships for fh as long as dunbar is in 1a. Furthermore, if fh has to go on the road to play lackey, douglass, or dunbar they won't even get to a final.

FH had opportunities to win today. Dunbar is not infallible. It will most likely be a rematch next year in the final again. This was a very entertaining game and we can see the Alco’s come out of the woodwork in their happiness. FH will have further opportunities for a title. Alco will never make it out of the West Region. But what an entertaining run and some memorable games by this FH team.

Last edited:
FH could've won this game. Champions make adjustments. With the right play-calling, FH wins this game by at least seven.

Reactions: 52 to victory
FH had opportunities to win today. Dunbar is not infallible. It will most likely be a rematch next year in the final again. This was a very entertaining game and we can see the Alco’s come out of the woodwork in their happiness. FH will have further opportunities for a title. Alco will never make it out of the West Region. But what an entertaining run and some memorable games by this FH team.
You'd dismiss Lackey and Douglass, how come?
Also, if you're right about next year what needs to happen to change the outcome. Appel is 0 for against Dunbar, always close but can't get over the top.
Just finished watching with 3 generations of fort hill football people and we all think fh has to reevaluate since dunbar is back. They always have trouble with teams like MCC, FCA, Lackey, Dunbar. As much as people want to think it's the offense, and it is predictable, the defense does not practice against a spread as much as they practice against the wing-t. It would be a win win to go to more of a spread, keeping some aspects of the wing-t if it makes you happy, and have a much more diversified offense. In the process you'd be giving the defense many more looks at the kind of teams they have trouble with.
Let's not forgot FH ran a power I for years before going to the wing-t. They had to adapt. Can this coach do that?

I believe they can adapt. Sometimes it seems like they don’t believe they can change. FH changed the entire game plan at halftime in Sherando two years ago and came out in the spread on every down until they got the lead and had Sherando so rattled that they then were able to run down right at them.

About a rematch and discounting others? Lackey and PG-Douglass will have to knock one of the other out in the regionals, so one of them is gone by default. Dunbar will run the table in their regional. It obviously depends on the points for the semis but it is very likely that it could be a rematch. FH will lose some tough kids but some other tough boys are moving into positions and it looks like next year’s team will have overall better speed.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Sounds like Allegany dosen't have a chance next year. I guess they should not even play thier season

Reactions: OneRing
Sounds like Allegany dosen't have a chance next year. I guess they should not even play thier season

I don’t think Alco will make it out of the region but the games are decided on the field. If you as an Alco fan want to give up already, that is your decision. I would hope that you would still go the games and support them no matter what.

Im just going by what the FH fans seem to think. I believe Allegany makes it out of the region next year and possibly the next 2 after that

And according to alco posters before this season started fh had no chance against alco, and they should be afraid of them. Fh has no qb, no db's, no speed...etc. So both sets of fans make comments that are absurd to the other, that's the nature of the message boards.

FH didn't have speed, which showed big time against Dunbar. They didnt have db's either. Appel just knows how to beat Alco. Allegany finally made changes and it will show big time next year when Allegany and FH plays. If you didn't notice FH didn't score much after the Allegany playoff game.

FH didn't have speed, which showed big time against Dunbar. They didnt have db's either. Appel just knows how to beat Alco. Allegany finally made changes and it will show big time next year when Allegany and FH plays. If you didn't notice FH didn't score much after the Allegany playoff game.
They put up 60 points combined in the 2 games after alco. You don’t consider that much scoring?

so not having speed and not having db's didn't hurt much against alco
They put up 60 points combined in the 2 games after alco. You don’t consider that much scoring?
he's also not considering every time you say fh doesn't have something he's diminishing allegany.

If history continues to repeat itself, I know 2 games they shouldn't play and they only have to travel across town play them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT