ADVERTISEMENT

When Sherando Beats Martinsburg Next Week..........

Seasoned Lettuce

All State Poster
Jul 28, 2015
People will understand why I asked whether anyone else at least wondered if we were playing Sherando why didn't we just schedule Martinsburg instead, lol.

For the record, I like the FH schedule though it is incredibly tough. I support playing Sherando but truly feel that we may as well have just played Martinsburg this year. EIther way, will make for a fun time, kudos to Todd and the schedulers for getting the job done with 10 games.

Honestly, I don't know if Sherando will beat Martinsburg or not, but at this point it seems plausible.

Reactions: hamspear
I'd love to see that Sherando vs. Martinsburg game next week. Will be in Clearfield though. Will watch the film FH gets. Everyone knows how I feel. I love the FH schedule this year. It's who they should be playing at this point. Would have liked having Martinsburg in place of Avalon. It's just these dumb playoff formats for the 15th billion time. Bummer man...real bummer.

People will understand why I asked whether anyone else at least wondered if we were playing Sherando why didn't we just schedule Martinsburg instead, lol.

For the record, I like the FH schedule though it is incredibly tough. I support playing Sherando but truly feel that we may as well have just played Martinsburg this year. EIther way, will make for a fun time, kudos to Todd and the schedulers for getting the job done with 10 games.

Honestly, I don't know if Sherando will beat Martinsburg or not, but at this point it seems plausible.

I completely agree Seasoned Lettuce

One statistic that can't be disputed. You have 0% chance of winning a title scheduling yourself out of the playoffs. You don't get in, you don't have a chance. What Todd is saying may not be popular but until things change, finding a balance is crucial.

One statistic that can't be disputed. You have 0% chance of winning a title scheduling yourself out of the playoffs. You don't get in, you don't have a chance. What Todd is saying may not be popular but until things change, finding a balance is crucial.

I guess you can find an excuse for just about anything.. If and when scheduling yourself out of the playoffs can no longer be used as an excuse, it would just be another reason.... I remember when only 8 teams made it in and both Fort Hill and Allegany played tougher schedules. Which would lead us back to the excuse of enrollment size...

How is it an excuse exactly? They have to beat 1a. They are playing well above that. Scheduling themselves out of the playoffs isn't an excuse, it's a fact that you cannot overlook no matter how you look at it. If FH was ducking who they should be playing, I'd agree 100%.

How is it an excuse exactly? They have to beat 1a. They are playing well above that. Scheduling themselves out of the playoffs isn't an excuse, it's a fact that you cannot overlook no matter how you look at it. If FH was ducking who they should be playing, I'd agree 100%.

LOL I thought it was, "See it as you may" ??? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

You know how it is, the more you read someone's comment, the more you wonder how they get to their opinion. I'm happy seeing what FH does in their respective class. I in no way think it should be a pussy schedule. That isn't my thought process in the least. But in the end it is MD 1A we have to go through to win a title.

Likewise I in no way think it should be filled with juggernauts. I just simply don't see the reason behind scheduling Sherando and not just scheduling Martinsburg... And I'm not much on excuses, sorry...Like I said you can find an excuse for just about anything... One or 2 games a year where the outcome isn't already decided prior to kickoff wouldn't hurt anyone.... This year's schedule is a vast improvement and a step in the right direction...

Todd - you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't :confused:... I agree, FH is where they should be schedule-wise this year. I for one, hated the weak schedule for years, even back in the 90s when Calhoun had 4 DC... I get the issue of schedule MD 1A, and appreciate what you've had to go thru. Glad you persevered and got the schedule you have this year. I guess I'm spoiled in watching week-in-and-week-out teams playing in a VA conference that has been labeled "the SEC of high school football in Virginia". No "excuses" there, and only good, quality high school football. I believe every game on FH's schedule is winnable. Will they do so? Likely, not, but it could happen. An 8-2, or 7-3 record is very doable, IMO, and getting in the playoffs running the table in MD 1A could happen. In 2005, out of the VA conference I mentioned, and saw a 6-4 Oakton team run the 6A table winning the state championship with a bunch of average, hard working, determined kids, as they traveled to Hampton and beat an undefeated Landsdown 27-7. The game wasn't even that close. Plus, they had Percy Harvin, who was the #1 recruit in the country and went on to be a star at Florida, and now with the Bills. Seasons like this is what makes high school football great! Fort Hill can do something similar this year, and if not that is ok too. Keep the faith red & white!

Reactions: hamspear
I don't know the thought process of the Sherando over Martinsburg game. I have my gut feeling but in the end I think it's an incredible schedule. And for the record I feel Red is in control of their destiny this year. A great bunch of kids. I have confidence this team can do great things. Not one doubt.

Likewise I in no way think it should be filled with juggernauts. I just simply don't see the reason behind scheduling Sherando and not just scheduling Martinsburg... And I'm not much on excuses, sorry...Like I said you can find an excuse for just about anything... One or 2 games a year where the outcome isn't already decided prior to kickoff wouldn't hurt anyone.... This year's schedule is a vast improvement and a step in the right direction...
I agree, bigsavage, and I believe we're all saying the same thing but different. As per my post, I'm a believer in tough competition. As the saying goes - "if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch" MD 1A is certainly not a "big dog", but FH, over the many years, have gotten off the porch. I've always been an advocate of touch competition is a benefit to what you'll see in the playoffs (at least in the higher classifications). I wish what was done in MD 1A is someone outside the FH program made the schedule, and you played what is put in front of you for two-years... That's the way it is in VA, and it makes for interesting match ups & outcomes... And, there are not excuses... Maybe complaints, but no excuses...

Playing Sherando could be a "foot in the door" to playing other Winchester area schools in the future! I think, win or lose, FH benifits from playing them this year and next.

It just goes to prove that the FH Haters Club will never be happy until FH stacks the schedule with Martinsburgs and Calvert Halls and finishes 5-5 every year! The Maryland playoff system and other 1A schools playing a mainly 1A schedules aren't excuses, they're facts. FH & Alco are 1A now!

It never fails. You always have posters come on here and completely take arguments out of context.. In regards to this topic, they will frame the argument by taking it to extremes... They'll either say, you're advocating for a cupcake schedule or you're advocating for stacking the schedule... Completely missing the point that the people who want a tougher schedule we're only advocating for a competitive schedule in the first place.. Somewhere in between, a happy medium... Not all cupcakes and not all juggernauts.. As some will try and frame the argument by saying we want to see all Dematha's and Good Counsels. That's simply not the case. But I don't want to see all MATHS and Capital Christians either.. As I said before this year's schedule is a vast improvement and a step in the right direction... I'm happy with it... Hopefully it doesn't revert back to the previous years schedules if FH so happens to lose 1 or 2 games...

Last edited:
Let me be clear on one thing about my opinion. And this is only an opinion. FH as well most 1A teams do not have the depth to endure critical injuries. Defining "critical injuries" as one that takes a great team to an average team if injured. Just bare with me in my thought process. If we are playing a schedule that is challenging but appropriate, a 1A team or any class team for that matter has the ability to absord that injured player and remain competitive. Maybe I am wrong for feeling this way but for sense of conversation I feel loading up the schedule leaves little room for error when things do not go as planned. Having a balanced schedule can give some recovery time allowing a run for a title which otherwise could be lost. You never have a team that is 100% healthy.

I do understand what Red Neck and Big Savage are saying. I do and I'm not disputing it doesn't hold some merits. Looking at it from a different angle gives me a different perspective.

Sorry if that sounds stupid. I've just watched how injuries have an impact.

Last edited:
Let me be clear on one thing about my opinion. And this is only an opinion. FH as well most 1A teams do not have the depth to endure critical injuries. Defining "critical injuries" as one that takes a great team to an average team if injured. Just bare with me in my thought process. If we are playing a schedule that is challenging but appropriate, a 1A team or any class team for that matter has the ability to absord that injured player and remain competitive. Maybe I am wrong for feeling this way but for sense of conversation I feel loading up the schedule leaves little room for error when things do not go as planned. Having a balanced schedule can give some recovery time allowing a run for a title which otherwise could be lost. You never have a team that is 100% healthy.

I do understand what Red Neck and Big Savage are saying. I do and I'm not disputing it doesn't hold some merits. Looking at it from a different angle gives me a different perspective.
You make a good point, Fan89, and to prove your point I'll use my son's team as an example (please excuse my continual reference...) They are a VA AAA 6A team (largest class in the state), and two weeks ago in a scrimmage their starting qb went down with a knee. Fortunately, a short-term injury, but they were able to put in a backup that did an admirable job. This past week they improvised by preparing & putting their best athlete in at qb. That unplanned circumstance allowed them to come up with an alternative that proved to probably be an option the rest of the season. I believe your point is if that was a 1A team the likelihood of that happening is slim to none, because of the smaller numbers. That may or may not be true, but the point I'm trying to make (doing a poor job at it...) is that is your "perspective" or "opinion". I respect that, and probably others do too. The injury factor is a risk regardless of size, but I hear ya... Size doesn't always matter either. I've seen it happen with 6A schools where an injury was devastating and there was no substitute for the injured or suspended player. It's just part of the game, as I know you know... I think this years schedule is darn near perfect with a sprinkling of decent teams (Sherando will probably be more than decent), and your typical 1A average teams. Heck, look at WVU's or MD's schedule. It is the same. With what there is to work with I don't think we could ask for a better schedule, and hopefully no one will cancel...

For the love of Coney Island Weiners, the whole point is that Sherando is as tough as Martinsburg, and Martinsburg/Fort Hill is an ancient rivalry. I'm not even really saying play Martinsburg, just that Sherando looms just as formidable this year.

Last edited:
Lmao. We are having a civil discussion here. Lol. Take notice. It doesn't happen often.

While your point is duely noted... The Martinsburg/ FH rivalry is not the least bit close to what a FH/ Sherando game would be. We should be safe from having parents fighting in the parking lot.

All of this because Fort Hill scheduled Sherando and didn't schedule Martinsburg? Seems kind of crazy to me.

This sked is perfect this yr! I'd love to see Mburg vs FH again but if it was never to manifest so what! Whatever it takes to A) get kids to college and B) win the chip I'm all for! My or anyone elses personal preferences r irrelevant!

The FH schedule debate heats up...must be football season again. It's a huge compliment that many folks only use Fort Hill as the analogy of how scheduling should be done. I never see it applied to any other team in any class. Not even across town where Blue's biggest opponents are Keyser, Chestnut Ridge and FH. But then again, this forum has obviously become a Fort Hill Football board. So that's what you get.

The main "lacking common sense" most have on this issue is that 50 or more teams say no to playing FH. Not a big deal. FH says no to one or two high level teams and everyone calls them out. It's quite the usual Cumberland comedy actually. If this were any other sport or most any other location on the East Coast, FH football would have a schedule such as this:

Sep. 4 - at Smithsburg
Sep. 11 - Keyser
Sep. 18 - at Northern Garrett
Sep. 25 - Boonsboro
Oct. 2 - at Brunswick
Oct. 9 - Southern Garrett
Oct. 16 - at Clear Spring
Oct. 23 - Hancock
Oct. 30 - at Mountain Ridge
Nov. 6 - Allegany

That's how it works everywhere else. Eight league/regional games, 2 non-regional. It's that way in college, it's that way in the NFL, it's pretty much that way everywhere but big old Cumberland.

This year's schedule is a step in the right direction? I would say this year's schedule is a gigantic leap in another direction. Boldly going where few if any go...including Martinsburg and Sherando.

SCHEDULE DEBATE QUESTION FOR THE WEEKEND
To stay on the Seasoned Lettuce original topic...
Is the 2015 FH schedule tougher than the one Martinsburg and Sherando is playing?
I would say the FH schedule is considerably more difficult than the one Martinsburg is playing. I can't speak for the Sherando schedule as I'm not familiar with some of their opponents. But I would think that Sherando isn't loading up on winning teams in higher classifications. Actually, let's forget about classifications here. Straight up who has a tougher schedule? Open for debate.

Last edited:
Todd, that make shift sked looks horrible and i hope to never see it again, lol! Look, it's a good thing that others have those lofty expectations for ur program. I take it as respect! The sked has been a lil watered down in the past but that equated to back to back champions. If or when FH wins 7 more chips then load up the sked. Until then lets get more than Alco!

That schedule is one that should be played. One could argue that a program such as Fort Hill should schedule up and challenge them selves to reach for better. But as Todd has said many times, you schedule to crazy and 3 losses could mean no playoffs. Wouldn't seem right for a 7-3 Fort Hill team, or Allegany team for that matter, to miss the playoffs when they could be one of if not the best 1A team in Maryland. I am sure that the Fort Hill coaches at some point want to schedule opponents such as Sherando, Calvert Hall and Martinsburg in order to challenge their kids. I personally think that this year's schedule is a bit tough for a Class 1A school. Fort Hill will probably make it work though. If the two Carroll County schools were still the region I would have been a little scared adding Calvert Hall.

The schedule that Todd posted is one that makes sense for a Class 1A School in MD. I haven't made up my mind on what the MPSSAA should do about scheduling. I was thinking that night that in order to qualify for the playoffs they should require "5" region games played for each school. Todd has proposed 8 to more inline with the College and Pro teams. I personally think that 8 may be a little too much but it could be argued.

I would just do away with the region format if everyone in the region doesn't have to play each other and go with WV playoff system 1-16 top to bottom. That's probably the simplest way of doing things

That sked is by no means prepaing ur them to win a championship! Zero speed, zero athleticism! Schools down state will at least possess one of those attributes!

Fort hill plays the toughest schedule in the state of Maryland this year when you factor in they are a 1A school. Easily, Absolutely brutal. No one else has the balls to do it that's fo sur.e.

"Isn't that what you said about FH's schedule the last two years?" No sir it is not! I stated the sked was a lil watered down but that diluted!

Im not in the loop so I can't answer the question of who's sked is more difficult. I understand why you bring that question up but realize that it only adds fuel to the why is FH dodging Mburg fire!

I realize you people totally think I am complaining, I am not. I'm happy with the schedule and I understand ALL the scheduling issues totally. My only point is THIS YEAR Sherando and Martinsburg are interchangeable.

I am not one of those people who think Fort Hill has to schedule Martinsburg to prove something, they don't. I'm just such a throwback love or loved the Martinsburg rivalry so much it would be cool to see at least a one year return....and this year the stars sort of aligned in that direction.

I support Helmick 100 percent on this, and I love his Paw Paw Lemonade ;)

Who plays a tougher schedule this year...FH or Martinsburg?
This is a trick question LOL... but, I'll go for it...

With Curley on the schedule I almost gave FH the "toughest schedule", but not quite. I give the nod to Mburg for the toughest schedule. Woodson is already in the books and showed how competitive Woodson is (I think Sherando would beat Woodson). Mburg will get beat by Tuscaroro (Leesburg) for the 2 yrd in a row, as well as by Sherando, and probably Morgantown. Jefferson & Washington are no pushovers (especially Jefferson), but expect Mburg to walk away with those two wins.

FH comes in a close 2nd. Being a 1A team competing against higher caliber classifications is almost an automatic "toughest schedule" debate, but not quite. I believe S Hagerstown is a good add, but overrated, and I predict a FH win. Sherando will be too much for FH in both teams most physical contest of the season. Curley is a given (loss), and probably Keyser, if I can believe what I read. I know almost nothing of Clearfield, but trust FH will walk away with a close win.

I know more what to expect from most of Sherando's schedule, and the toughest teams they will face will be FH, Mburg, Jefferson, Washington in that order. I put them @ #3.

Bottom line for me, I like the FH schedule. Other than Curley the other teams are a good match.

Sherando toughest games this year will not have anything to do with Jefferson or Washington, both are cupcakes, both wanted to drop us like Mussleman did this year , tired of getting beat., but it was negotiated for them to sign another contract fortunately because we we're struggling to replace some teams we lost like Kettle Run, and Liberty . The top four toughest games on Sherando In my opinion are ranked in this order in my opinion only 1. Martinsburg 2. EasternView 3. Fort Hill 4. Louisa. 5. Millbrook 6. Then maybe Jefferson and the rest. Please don't take offense because I only know what to expect from Martinsburg year in and out, and EV has at least 3 D-1 commits, and a solid returning QB. I fully expect Fort hill to be a challenge and mean no disrespect.

Martinsburg doesnt play Tuscarora this year. They picked up Princeton who won 4 games last year. Some of you are to quick to anoint Washington and Jefferson based on week 1 results. Washington won 2 games last year and Jefferson was a poor 7-5. Both schools recent football history has been super soft. With that said the FH schedule is hands down more difficult. Both play Sherando on the road. And a FYI for everyone, since 2010 Clearfield has posted a 57-9 record. They have won 11 or more games in each of those five seasons except last year when they only won 9 games. To demonstrate how impressive that recoed is FH is only 58-8 in the same 5 year span. Clearfield takes a back seat to no one on the FH schedule. Some of you big red fans are in for a rude awakening next Friday up in Western Pa.

CLEARFIELD FOOTBALL
2014: 9-4 record
2013: 13-1
2012: 11-1
2011: 11-2
2010: 13-1

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT