ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts after Week #2

beall02

Franchise Poster
Jun 2, 2006
On paper you might have thought that this weekend's area action would not really provide that much clarity to the area race but oh would you have been wrong. Here are the things I learned this weekend... feel free to provide your thoughts on give feedback on mine.

1.) Fort Hill's program is a BEAST!!! I know that it has and will always take one given night for an upset to happen but I honestly don't see where any area team is within two scores of the Sentinels even if FH plays the worst game they have every played and that school plays the best game they have ever played. Only team I see providing FH with a decent game right now would be Allegany but I still believe that would be a 2+ TD defeat for the Campers right now.

2.) Allegany's dismantling of Chestnut Ridge even at Greenway was a bit shocking to me. I saw Allegany winning by 10-13 but not by 27. The Campers have a shot to be a very, very good team come Week 10 and playoff time.

3.) Mountain Ridge's loss to Hedgesville was absolutely shocking to me. I know the Eagles handled Washington for their only win of the year on opening weekend. I really thought this may be the year that the Miners' could make that transition to a winning season but to be honest... they may not win another game. Frankfort and Hampshire look a little iffy at this point. The optimism I had of them possibly beating everyone but the Big 3 a week ago but oh how a week can change things.

4.) Northern's win over Tucker County was not shocking. A little shocked by the margin of victory. I'd be very interested in a Northern/Keyser matchup this year. Too bad that won't happen. With their schedule I can see the Huskies at 8-1 and if they can pull an upset against the Campers a possible 9-0. They will have tough games against MR, Frankfort, and Moorefield. And while all those games could be very difficult I can also see the Huskies winning by 10+ in all three.

5.) Keyser's loss to Fort Hill was going to happen. The question was how bad was it going to be. And sure, a 56-0 loss would look worse than the 41-0 they took, in the long run I believe this loss could be used in the same fashion as the Fort Hill loss to Keyser did last year. I still believe they are a force to be reckon with.

My Top 5 as of Week 2
1.) Fort Hill (And it isn't even close)
2.) Allegany
3.) Keyser
4.) Northern
5.) Frankfort

The Keyser/Allegany thing will be decided shortly. Frankfort sneaking in at #5 has as much to do with their performance this past week as it does with how MR did. Honestly. The MR/Hedgesville game was very exciting to watch as a football fan. But as a Miner fan I am discouraged with how the team performed.

Alco will beat Keyser

Allegany is deceptively strong and fast. The entire team plays like it is possessed. But they are thin. To beat a team like Keyser I think they need Carson Robinette healthy. In the post game interview it was suggested that Robinette probably had (I think) something like a hyper extension of his knee (again, going from memory here). So, he should easily be back for Keyser. Allegany needs the pounding fullback to make their running game work. With Carson they are a very good little team.... without him.... well, they need him.

And FH is still 30 points better than Allegany. This is not just their starters. They can rotate in fresh players and wear anybody down.

I don't want to get into comparing this FH with teams of the past but I don't think there is any doubt this FH team is exceptionally strong and would take a back seat to few. Too many able bodies, speed, strength and athleticism at every unit. From the Keyser sideline I saw 10 different players used on the offensive line and just as many on the defensive front, different ball carriers and multiple blocking backs. This all when the game was still undecided on the scoreboard. The QB (who may be even a better safety) can throw the ball with precession or take off running for big gains, so if teams want to stack the box good luck. Even the kicking game is excelling when it looked like a cause for concern just a month ago. The only thing I have not seen is a punter, because they haven't punted yet.

Keyser is young and has plenty of room to grow. But make no mistake they are still a sound football team because the program year round under Coach Biser is built to succeed. They just ran into a huge wall Friday night that I suspect every other opponent is going to hit. Coach Biser hinted all week about the ability of the FH defense but I don't think anyone envisioned 17 yards of Tornado total offense (yes that is the correct stat). It's like watching eight Lawrence Taylors running around with this FH defensive front. Also keep in mind, I counted 11 different players getting significant time on this 8 man front. Only three of them are seniors.

With all that said, it pains me to start another schedule debate but the next four games for FH could be 50 point margins by halftime. Coaches will likley give me flack for saying this, but the bottom line is that FH is not a 1A team on the field, they are a 3A quality team. I know the enrollments and the playoff system isn't set up to help a 1A school like FH upgrade the schedule with schools more than 2 to 3 times their enrollment so it is what it is. In my gut, I see FH being able to compete with any team in the state right now. I didn't say win the game, but they can compete with anyone. At the same time I will agree with the naysayers in that FH fans have no room to "beat their chest" or "talk smack" about being able to make such claims because they don't play these schools. I keep saying if the playoff system was not set up this way, it would be different. Despite the fact the 1A West probably gets a team like FH into the playoffs with a 4-6 record this year you can't always assume as much when the goal on the Hill is competing for a state title. I think that goal was compounded by the many years of frustration FH didn't have success putting up titles despite being an elite Maryland program dating back 60 years. I would like to see Good Counsel or Damascus come here in two more weeks just to see how good this team might really be, trust me. But I don't have to coach so it's easy to be an armchair dreamer. But I will say this would be the year to do it. This team looks WOW good with plenty of room to get better (see penalty numbers).

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
I totally agree with everything Helmick has said. This defense will absolutely shut down anyone, especially with the run, and I suspect if anyone tries to pass they will get in deep doo doo real quick. A Defense likes makes an already potent offense even that much more potent. The fact is, not only will this defense all but destroy an opponent's hope of scoring, but they will consistently force turnovers and short fields. So not only will opponents barely score, but the offense and special teams will consistently give the offense the ball often times on their opponents side of the field, or close. This stable of backs, this line, that quarterback, short field, it will be lights out in an instant constantly. The other thing it will do is give the offensive play callers the chance to basically take any and all chances they want, to really open things up and go balls out, even though all they will generally need to do is feed the ball to 2 or 13 and within a few plays they'll hit pay dirt. I still don't rule out Allegany as a true test, I think they are the only team in Maryland 1A that can potentially hang with Fort Hill. I am totally convinced that Fort Hill is 40-50 points better than EVERYONE else in 1A.

I don't want to get into comparing this FH with teams of the past but I don't think there is any doubt this FH team is exceptionally strong and would take a back seat to few. Too many able bodies, speed, strength and athleticism at every unit. From the Keyser sideline I saw 10 different players used on the offensive line and just as many on the defensive front, different ball carriers and multiple blocking backs. This all when the game was still undecided on the scoreboard. The QB (who may be even a better safety) can throw the ball with precession or take off running for big gains, so if teams want to stack the box good luck. Even the kicking game is excelling when it looked like a cause for concern just a month ago. The only thing I have not seen is a punter, because they haven't punted yet.

Keyser is young and has plenty of room to grow. But make no mistake they are still a sound football team because the program year round under Coach Biser is built to succeed. They just ran into a huge wall Friday night that I suspect every other opponent is going to hit. Coach Biser hinted all week about the ability of the FH defense but I don't think anyone envisioned 31 yards of Tornado total offense. It's like watching eight Lawrence Taylors running around with this FH defensive front. Also keep in mind, I counted 11 different players getting significant time on this 8 man front. Only three of them are seniors.

With all that said, it pains me to start another schedule debate but the next four games for FH could be 50 point margins by halftime. Coaches will likley give me flack for saying this, but the bottom line is that FH is not a 1A team on the field, they are a 3A quality team. I know the enrollments and the playoff system isn't set up to help a 1A school like FH upgrade the schedule with schools more than 2 to 3 times their enrollment so it is what it is. In my gut, I see FH being able to compete with any team in the state right now. I didn't say win the game, but they can compete with anyone. At the same time I will agree with the naysayers in that FH fans have no room to "beat their chest" or "talk smack" about being able to make such claims because they don't play these schools. I keep saying if the playoff system was not set up this way, it would be different. Despite the fact the 1A West probably gets a team like FH into the playoffs with a 4-6 record this year you can't always assume as much when the goal on the Hill is competing for a state title. I think that goal was compounded by the many years of frustration FH didn't have success putting up titles despite being an elite Maryland program dating back 60 years. I would like to see Good Counsel or Damascus come here in two more weeks just to see how good this team might really be, trust me. But I don't have to coach so it's easy to be an armchair dreamer. But I will say this would be the year to do it. This team looks WOW good with plenty of room to get better (see penalty numbers).
Does FH have a punter?

Can FH pitch 10 shutouts this yr.? Does anyone know what the Area record is for shutouts in a season? If so who holds this record and how many is it?

Frankfort went unscored on in the early 90s until the 1st round of the playoffs. That is too much to ask any team to do even as dominating as this unit has been.

Burke has a nice article in the paper today about the FH defense

I clearly remember Frankfort accomplishing their " unscored upon record" by putting the first team back in later in the season when teams got deep into their territory to continue the streak. A horseshit move in my opinion.

Thanks for jinxing us Todd.....:D

Not a lot of info on Hollidaysburg out there. From the roster on MaxPreps they do have some size, but they appear to be a young team. 34 underclassmen including 19 sophomores. As Keyser found out, youth and inexperience don't bode well against this Fort Hill team. Kicker is supposed to have a strong leg so they may break the shut out string, but I expect Golden Tiger Head Coach Homer DeLattre to be going "D'oh" a lot.

Almost impossible to post shut outs in lopsided games. Everyone gets to play early and often.

The DLine is exceptional. It's the strength there that would enable us to play anyone in this state(public schools)

Almost impossible to post shut outs in lopsided games. Everyone gets to play early and often.

In no way am I a naysayer... I'm a FH fan and graduate. I know you disagree but your quote is exactly what I mean when I say, doing your best to put these kids in the best spot possible to get them exposure. A kid might be a 2 star athlete heading into his senior yr. have an excellent season and get a ratings bump based off his performance. I know for a fact that college coaches and recruiting services look at game film and the quality of opponents played and adjust their ratings accordingly throughout the high school season based on a players performance in these games. What chance are you giving a kid to improve his stock if he only gets to touch the ball 1 or 2 times a game because its 35-0 going into the second quarter? What kind of body of work can a recruiting service or a coach judge from when a kid doesn't get showcased b/c of the level of competition they're playing? With that said it is frustrating to see a FH team like this years team play the likes of Holidaysburg, Silver Oaks, Brunswick, Capital Christian, and Fairmont Heights. I honestly believe that FH is one of the best teams in the state, but its hard to compare with a schedule like that.. The frustration lies in seeing a team like this come through the pipe line, knowing in advance what you have returning and instead of scheduling up, you schedule down. I don't know why its so hard to look at what you have coming through the feeder programs and returning varsity players and schedule accordingly.. Removing a Fairmont Heights and scheduling 1 game against a perennial power isn't going to break your season in the 1a West.. And I think it does a disservice to the starters and those who may have a chance to go on and play at the next level to only get to play 1 or 2 series and only touch the ball once or twice and then get benched before the 1st half is over b/c someone scheduled a team or teams that had no business being on the schedule. What kind of SENIOR highlight tape is a kid going to be able to put together if they only get 1 or 2 carries against a Brunswick, and someone they're competing for a scholarship with is touching the rock 15-20 times a game against better competiton? This isn't a slight, no need for attacks, i'm just voicing my opinion thats all it is. No need to jump to the defensive, no need for insults, no need for attacks...

Last edited:
Considering the Division 2 Patriots will be playing the 3rd quarter and the Pee Wee Raiders Flag Football Team the 4th quarter in most of these FH games yeah don't worry about shutouts. The starting D will give up very, very few points for sure though.

T
In no way am I a naysayer... I'm a FH fan and graduate. I know you disagree but your quote is exactly what I mean when doing your best to put these kids in the best spot possible to get them exposure. A kid might be a 2 star athlete heading into his senior yr. have an excellent season and get a ratings bump based off his performance. I know for a fact that college coaches and recruiting services look at game film and the quality of opponents played and adjust their ratings accordingly throughout the high school season based on a players performance in these games. What chance are you giving a kid to improve his stock if he only gets to touch the ball 1 or 2 times a game because its 35-0 going into the second quarter? What kind of body of work can a recruiting service or a coach judge from when a kid don't get showcased b/c of the level of competition they're playing? With that said it is frustrating to see a FH team like this years team play the likes of Holidaysburg, Silver Oaks, Brunswick, Capital Christian, and Fairmont Heights. I honestly believe that FH is one of the best teams in the state, but its hard to compare with a schedule like that.. The frustration lies in seeing a team like this come through the pipe line, knowing in advance what you have returning and instead of scheduling up, you schedule down. I don't know why its so hard to look what you have coming through the feeder programs and returning varsity players and schedule accordingly.. removing a Fairmont Heights and scheduling 1 game against a perennial power isn't going to break your season in the 1a West.. And I think it does a disservice to the starters and those who may have a chance to go on and play at the next level to only get to play 1 or 2 series and only touch the ball once or twice and then get benched before the 1st half is over b/c someone scheduled a team or teams that had no business being on the schedule. This isn't a slight, no need for attacks, i'm just voicing my opinion thats all it is...

Well my original post on this thread is kind of in agreement. Not from a recruiting stand point though. I just find it difficult to endure 5 out of 6 games where it's a 50-0 beating at half time. Brutal, and not just for a fan. And yes, everyone seemed to know this FH bunch was going to be really good so why not take a chance on a few really hard games? In fact it's hard personally to always wonder now just how good FH is on another level. I don't even think playing a team like DeMatha over the next few weeks would hurt FH chances at a state title run. Sure, it may cost home field advantage through the regional playoffs however, so if that is what coaches feel is conducive to winning states than that is their call to make. Boonsboro coaches state out loud that is their goal. And here is where I tend to get myself in trouble on message boards because I believe in an open door thought policy. These places are to express opinions and I don't hide my username. But I don't set the schedule. I only find the options available. Luckily, I grew up with Coach Appel so he probably gives me more leeway in expressing opposite opinions than I probably deserve...because I'm not there coaching and sweating. My truck isn't parked in the oval until midnight on a Saturday watching film and preparing the team.

Hindsight is 20/20. What we know now is not certain months before. And last year when FH lost to Keyser and had what was originally thought to be potential long term injuries, we all looked at the remaining schedule and felt FH may have to beat Alco just to make the playoffs. It obviously didn't work out that way but you don't forget that feeling and how mad it made those involved with the program in regards to frustration with the system. None of us were coaching when FH went 8-2 and sat out of the playoffs, Coach Appel was there. If the goal is to win the state title (and it is), FH is doing exactly what they need to do. They do not dedicate their life to entertain fans or schedule to put kids into better highlight videos. That's really the end of the discussion. Although sometimes I think some of the coaches are a little conservative in regards to just how good they are however. That would be called being humble to a degree. On that same note, I'm not even sure Coach Appel himself realizes just how good of a coach he is, because he doesn't like praise or being in the limelight. He's actually very humble publically. All good qualities he tries to instill in the players. But I personally do wish FH had a huge championship level team in the next few weeks yes. But I'm not selfish enough to push that agenda.

In regards to recruiting I can only offer personal examples. When Ty Johnson and Gage Shaffer got offered by Maryland at the summer camp, none of those coaches had seen a lick of highlight video of either player. Nor were they aware of the schedules each kid competed against. Coach Edsall had no idea where Ridgeley, WV was located. While highlights are important, it's today's combine/work out world that college coaches have access to and can make scouting decisions on their own that rule recruiting. Getting to camps is way more important than video and schedules. WAY MORE. When a top prospect goes to a D1 camp, who do you think they pair him up against? It's not the starting receiver from Capitol Christian I can assure you. Coaches and scouts can make their own determinations quickly without any knowledge of games, stats or game competition levels. Trust me on that. So when I state you have no idea what you are talking about, I don't mean to sound offensive or demeaning and I apologize if I did. Don't want to come across as a know-it-all person that suppresses opinions, honest. But unless you can provide me with a D1 college coaches that have told you personally the things claimed than I have to call ignorance. I have spoken to a hundred of them on the topic. None of them have ever told me the schedule is the reason kids don't get recruited here. They do all know it's small 1A ball here though, but if there is a worthy prospect they don't dismiss them. The problem in this area is that we have what so many coaches refer to time and time again..."dime a dozen" kids. Those are 5'10 to 6'0 athletes turning in 4.6 or 4.8 forty times. Do you have any idea how many kids they look at with those measurements? 99% of them wind up playing ball outside of D1. I fit the same mold out of high school. There are bigger high school programs that may put more kids into D1 scholarships, but they can't beat FH to save their life on the field. Why is that?

If anyone wants to know the truth about star ratings in recruiting I can tell you horror stories about how they work, how recruiting services make mega dollars spitting them out with zero credibility. Or without even looking at a highlight video or seeing a kid workout in person. It's a complete joke and college coaches know it too. Ty and Gage got their stars within 12 hours of committing to Maryland. Those stars came from Maryland recruiting websites who still had never seen either kid play football. LOL. Nick Saban can offer one of Fort Hill's JV back up players a scholarship and watch how many stars he gets from even people like Tom Lemming at ESPN. I'm not joking.

Last edited:
Well my original post on this thread is kind of in agreement. Not from a recruiting stand point though. I just find it difficult to endure 5 out of 6 games where it's a 50-0 beating at half time. Brutal, and not just for a fan. And yes, everyone seemed to know this FH bunch was going to be really good so why not take a chance on a few really hard games? In fact it's hard personally to always wonder now just how good FH is on another level. I don't even think playing a team like DeMatha over the next few weeks would hurt FH chances at a state title run. Sure, it may cost home field advantage through the regional playoffs however, so if that is what coaches feel is conducive to winning states than that is their call to make. Boonsboro coaches state out loud that is their goal. And here is where I tend to get myself in trouble on message boards because I believe in an open door thought policy. These places are to express opinions and I don't hide my username. But I don't set the schedule. I only find the options available. Luckily, I grew up with Coach Appel so he probably gives me more leeway in expressing opposite opinions than I probably deserve...because I'm not there coaching and sweating. My truck isn't parked in the oval until midnight on a Saturday watching film and preparing the team.

Hindsight is 20/20. What we know now is not certain months before. And last year when FH lost to Keyser and had what was originally thought to be potential long term injuries, we all looked at the remaining schedule and felt FH may have to beat Alco just to make the playoffs. It obviously didn't work out that way but you don't forget that feeling and how mad it made those involved with the program in regards to frustration with the system. None of us were coaching when FH went 8-2 and sat out of the playoffs, Coach Appel was there. If the goal is to win the state title (and it is), FH is doing exactly what they need to do. They do not dedicate their life to entertain fans or schedule to put kids into better highlight videos. That's really the end of the discussion. Although sometimes I think some of the coaches are a little conservative in regards to just how good they are however. That would be called being humble to a degree. On that same note, I'm not even sure Coach Appel himself realizes just how good of a coach he is, because he doesn't like praise or being in the limelight. He's actually very humble publically. All good qualities he tries to instill in the players. But I personally do wish FH had a huge championship level team in the next few weeks yes. But I'm not selfish enough to push that agenda.

In regards to recruiting I can only offer personal examples. When Ty Johnson and Gage Shaffer got offered by Maryland at the summer camp, none of those coaches had seen a lick of highlight video of either player. Nor were they aware of the schedules each kid competed against. Coach Edsall had no idea where Ridgeley, WV was located. While highlights are important, it's today's combine/work out world that college coaches have access to and can make scouting decisions on their own that rule recruiting. Getting to camps is way more important than video and schedules. WAY MORE. When a top prospect goes to a D1 camp, who do you think they pair him up against? It's not the starting receiver from Capitol Christian I can assure you. Coaches and scouts can make their own determinations quickly without any knowledge of games, stats or game competition levels. Trust me on that. So when I state you have no idea what you are talking about, I don't mean to sound offensive or demeaning and I apologize if I did. But unless you can provide me with a D1 college coaches that have told you personally the things claimed than you are ignorant to this topic. I have spoken to a hundred of them on the topic. None of them have ever told me the schedule is the reason kids don't get recruited here. They do all know it's small 1A ball here though, but if there is a worthy prospect they don't dismiss them. The problem in this area is that we have what so many coaches refer to time and time again..."dime a dozen" kids. Those are 5'10 to 6'0 athletes turning in 4.6 or 4.8 forty times. Do you have any idea how many kids they look at with those measurements? 99% of them wind up playing ball outside of D1. I fit the same mold out of high school. There are bigger high school programs that may put more kids into D1 scholarships, but they can't beat FH to save their life on the field. Why is that?

I'm not going to get into a back and forth with you over this we'll just have to agree to disagree on the topic of film but here are two links with excerpts and tons more on the value of game film. Sure a kid can go to a camp and receive an offer. The point i'm making is if the kid doesn't receive an offer, it doesn't help his body of work if in his final season he only gets to touch the ball 1 or 2 times a game. Trust me coaches send out scholarship based on senior game performance. If a kid is on the fence of receiving an offer or not alot of times coaches wait and evaluate how they do during their season. If you don't think film is important you're definitely in the minority... You have a good night..

http://www.hithighlights.com/How_Colleges_Decide_Who_Gets_a_Scholarship.php
"Film Evaluation
Throughout the recruiting process, film evaluation will be (((-->THE NO. 1 TOOL<--))) that colleges use to a) become aware of a prospect b) decide if they will pursue (recruit) an athlete AND C) MAKE THE FINAL DECISIONS ON WHICH 25 PROSPECTS THEY WILL OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS.

How early do colleges start recruiting high school players?

Colleges will start looking at a high school football player's -->FILM<--
as early as their freshman year!"

"Typically in Nebraska between 2 to 3 additional D1A scholarships will be given out between the end of the summer and signing day in February. The colleges
-->WILL BASE THEIR DECISONS ON THE (((EVALUATION OF SENIOR SEASON FILM.)))"<--

http://www.insidesocal.com/tribprep...l-or-7v7-coach-or-high-school-football-coach/
"No, nobody is playing full-contact football games in spring. Yes, the -->((BEST))<-- way for college coaches to evaluate players
-->STILL REMAINS WATCHING THEIR GAME FILMS FROM FALL.<-- But things are definitely changing.
"

Last edited:
bigsavage, this doesn't have to looked at as a back and forth negative thing. It's a good discussion. My grandmother always said if everyone had the same opinion it would be a dull world.

- Who said highlight videos were not important? Certainly not me. College coaches do not watch unsolicited video sent in however. They watch video based on recommendations from other reputable trusted sources. None ask who the ten opponents are on the video.
- If you have not received a FBS level offer by Labor Day of your senior year, your odds of getting one are at about 26%. Which I find insane actually. Just look at verbal commit lists already. Alabama has 22 commits already. Same for every team. Senior year video means squat for FBS level programs.
- Coaches never look at freshman or JV highlight videos. Only against varsity competition. So if a kid receives an offer his freshman year, he is starting on the varsity squad.
- Be careful about quoting the importance of highlight videos from a company that charges money to edit highlight videos

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main argument I'm getting here is that local 1A schedules are the reason kids are not getting more D1 level scholarships??? If so, that is way, way, way off. Not sure how you tied that one in. It's 1A ball and coaches know it. Even if Cumberland schools played DeMatha 10 times it won't change whether a kid is D1 worthy or not. Can't make it any more simple. Or I can just quote the Penn State defensive coordinator as we watched the Sherando vs. FH game last year on the sidelines, "I can tell if a kid is FBS worthy in the first 5 plays of any game."

I won't mention names, but there are two potential D1 level players in this entire area that are seniors. Who they play against is irrelevant in that decision.

Try reading my TEN COMMANDMENTS OF RECRUITING on the QCFF pages if you have not already:
http://queencityfootballfoundation.org/recruiting/college_contacts.htm

Last edited:
Interesting... You both are right here. Savage is making some serious sense when he calms down tried to speak from a place where he wants to be understood. To get film is to get exposure, and we all seen how much film we had on Ty Johnson. Hell we had mid season highlights his senior year on YouTube.

Forget the corporate part of Todd's respons.
Fort hill wants to win for FH. Winning FOR the Hill means you get the next man up the most experience, and as much of it as quickly as possible. I'm sure Nick Saban in reality cares about how many players he sends to the NFL. He cares about National championships.

Brown is already committed, let's make the next one happen. And let's bring another ring back to Cumberland in the process

Both valid points

"Or I can just quote the Penn State defensive coordinator as we watched the Sherando vs. FH game last year on the sidelines, "I can tell if a kid is FBS worthy in the first 5 plays of any game."

You're making my point for me... Penn State coach was there bc you played Sherando... He won't be there when you play Silver Oak. And if he was he most likely wouldn't get to see those 5 plays bc the starters are getting pulled early... And whether it's 5 plays or 20 plays he based his evaluation off of on field game observance... I don't think we are that far apart... I just don't think it helps a kid who may be on the fence of receiving a d1 scholarship if he only gets to touch the ball 1 or 2 times a game or only gets to play a quarter and a half bc the game was already decided when it was scheduled... As far as kids not getting scholarships bc of the level of competition being the main argument. I would say it's not the main argument.. Its part of the argument but there are many variables to the equation.. But I'm not going to simply dismiss it either as not being apart of that equation.

Last edited:
"Or I can just quote the Penn State defensive coordinator as we watched the Sherando vs. FH game last year on the sidelines, "I can tell if a kid is FBS worthy in the first 5 plays of any game."

You're making my point for me... Penn State coach was there bc you played Sherando... He won't be there when you play Silver Oak. And whether it's 5 plays or 20 plays he based his evaluation off of game observance... I don't think we are that far apart... I just don't think it helps a kid who may be in the fence of receiving a d1 scholarship if he only gets to touch the ball 1 or 2 times a game or only gets to play a quarter and a half bc the game was already decided when it was scheduled...

Oh for sure I can agree with most of that. On the same token, I have heard for decades that a FH quarterback will never get college looks because he only throws the ball 2-4 times a game. That doesn't mean FH coaches are going to alter their play calling to change this fact. But the Penn State coach was at Sherando to visit one of their recruits. He also was at 1A Clear Spring game to see their defensive end play against Smithsburg. As was Randy Edsall when he visited FH game.

I am actually more on your side about the scheduling than you realize. Just not from a recruiting standpoint. If there is a problem here with D1 recruiting it's because we are a small rural population and coaches know it's 1A ball. Playing bigger and better schools every week does not change this recruiting aspect. When we have a D1 worthy player, he is gong to get plenty of attention these days. But if you have a different opinion on that one, I'm cool with it. Like I said, it's a good discussion through disagreement.

My original point about scheduling involves curiosity about just how good FH is as a team. I think we share that curiosity :)

Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from..and I wouldn't expect FH to change.. As a parent if I knew my kid had d1 talent as a quarterback I simply wouldn't send him to FH bc the system they run isn't conducive to quarterback play.. Likewise it would be just as tough to send him there knowing he is only going to get to play a few series bc the schedule limits his ability to provide a body of work... Touching on the rural population aspect you brought up and speaking strictly from a recruiting standpoint I think the biggest measure you could take is playing teams with more visiblity... But that means scheduling up and stepping outside their comfort zone. But like you have said time and time again FH's objective comes down to winning championships for FH and I'm fine with that... I'm speaking clearly from a recruits standpoint. I've enjoyed the discussion glad it could be civil... You guys have a good night

Last edited:
One last point but if you take those "dime a dozen" kids and line them up against a $1 dollar a dozen kids and those dimes compete then they're no longer dimes but dollars. As it stands the schedule doesnt do anything to help set apart those "dime a dozen" kids when they're playing against pennies... You can't tell me #2 wouldn't have more d1 offers if he had a chance to showcase his talent against a Good Counsel or McDonogh. Carrying the ball 15-20 times and scoring a couple touchdowns like he was relied upon last yr. against keyser. Or other kids like the defensive line. You can't tell me their profile wouldn't rise if they were playing in the back field all night against better quality teams with d1 recruits.. As opposed to only getting to play a couple series or touching the ball 1 or 2 times against a Brunswick or Silver Oak.. Its all about making yourself visible.

Last edited:
I actually have only seen Alco scrimmage against Smithsburg. But talking with parents of current Alco players I get the sense they have something good to build on with Coach Hansel. I've actually never met him but I can tell he has the work ethic and enthusiasm to put Alco on the right path. I have much respect for Tim Foley as a defensive coach and Scott Bauer as an offensive coach. It's a good support system with lots of experience. With the Campers having a large group of starting seniors a year ago I knew they would be underrated this season. I also felt both the Robinette brothers would have to be involved with the offense in some way. Lag will back me up, but I said a month ago that I thought both Alco and FH would be 9-0 going into homecoming. And I see nothing that has changed my mind. It will only make for a special 1st week of November. Cherish it.

As I stated earlier, Keyser is solid. Just young and a little inexperienced especially up front. Don't judge this team solely on the FH game. Coach Biser told me a full two years ago that Ours is a premier player and can play any position. This was before any one thought he would line up behind center. He was right. They are going to win plenty more ball games for a build up to something really special next season.

Northern is off to a nice start. It's odd because I generally never attend youth or pee wee games. Mostly because I use college football as a living and falls Saturdays are reserved for such. But I remember watching the Patriots play in the Little Superbowl at Greenway when the current FH seniors were playing and I remember saying to my friend at that game how amazingly good the Patriots were for a youth league team. Ironically, it was a Northern team they played that day. Which should only demonstrate they have potential now as high school seniors to be one of the area's better teams. Phil Carr knows how to win football games despite being low on numbers most seasons.

I know nothing about Mountain Ridge at this point. Will know more after Friday. Not sure if Commercial Video is covering that one but I hope so.

My current area Top 5:
Fort Hill
Allegany
Keyser
Northern
Moorefield

Considering the Division 2 Patriots will be playing the 3rd quarter and the Pee Wee Raiders Flag Football Team the 4th quarter in most of these FH games yeah don't worry about shutouts. The starting D will give up very, very few points for sure though.
Sounds like your bashing every kid on FH that isn't a starter. SMH thought you was FH #1 fan ? Let me guess like always when you get called out on this board : Sarcasm is always your excuse for ignorance.

Last edited:
I did a pretty piss poor job of clearly stating what I meant to say. I'm not comparing Fort Hill's 2nd, 3rd or 4th string to D2 or Pee Wee Flag Football kids at all, no way I would compare FH's non-starters to the like. My intention was to compliment the entire squad as being so deep and talented that FH would have to empty the bench and keep going, heck we might need to bring in the popcorn poppers, the guys that hold the chains and the City Ambulance crew. Seriously that was my point, I just failed miserably at making it, thinks for pointing it out. I will say this,it would be unfair to everyone on the roster to include the starters down to the last fella in to have the expectation of a shutout hanging over everyone's head every game. I imagine we'll see situations where teams will still have their 1's in very, very deep in the game trying desperately to avoid a shutout. Worrying about shutouts is just counter productive for everyone involved.

The one nice thing about blowouts and blowouts that start early is 'm hoping the sidelines get emptied early and often. Truth be told Wing, I have THE MOST respect for the kids on Fort Hill's roster who bust their tail for the Program, all those mandatory lifting sessions and the daily 365 commitment it takes full well knowing they won't taste as much of the on field glory and accolodes, THE MOST, that's a special kind of commitment from a kid, when there are so many easier options out there. Talk about a true test of dedication, that's part of what makes Fort Hill's program so special.

Besides, overtly making fun of hard working non-starters is about the moral equivalent of kicking a puppy, no way I'm doing that intentionally, lol. As for the D2 Patriots and Raiders Flag Football team, hope nobody thinks I'm dissing them, when it fact, it was more of a shoutout.

Last edited:
Reactions: wing_left
Part of the reason FH has been doing so well in game prep, is that the bench is as deep as it is. Just think, when you're running your first team offense at practice, you have guys across the line from you who are either starters on defense or would start on defense for any other squad.

Likewise, when prepping defensive schemes against teams who run offenses that aren't regularly seen, you have a practice offense that can run those plays extremely well.

Correct, so much talent to go around from 1's to 2's to 3's to 4's. Everyone, all 48 of them are in that weight room getting bigger, faster and stronger so you're lining up across from talent and depth in practice, which isn't always the case at most schools.

Correct, so much talent to go around from 1's to 2's to 3's to 4's. Everyone, all 48 of them are in that weight room getting bigger, faster and stronger so you're lining up across from talent and depth in practice, which isn't always the case at most schools.

The only thing Babe Ruth lifted in his life was a hotdog in one hand and a beer in the other. You can improve upon talent, but you cannot create talent. FH is deep with talent because they are deep with talent.

I guess it is somewhat Biblical to diminish God's gifts and try to explain everything in terms of man's contribution - call it human nature. In other words, it isn't God's gift to FH for so many talented players. Instead, it's man's program through weights and drills that created so many superior athletes in a 1A school.

The only thing Babe Ruth lifted in his life was a hotdog in one hand and a beer in the other. You can improve upon talent, but you cannot create talent. FH is deep with talent because they are deep with talent.

I guess it is somewhat Biblical to diminish God's gifts and try to explain everything in terms of man's contribution - call it human nature. In other words, it isn't God's gift to FH for so many talented players. Instead, it's man's program through weights and drills that created so many superior athletes in a 1A school.

OK, so you're lining up in practiced against improved upon talent.

All runs come to an end eventually, FH's will as well. It's special to be "in the moment" and it's something likely that FH fans will never see again. The area may never see such a run again.

All runs come to an end eventually, FH's will as well. It's special to be "in the moment" and it's something likely that FH fans will never see again. The area may never see such a run again.

This is very true. Enjoy the moment. Just look at the runs most all the area football teams have had -- Sadly (for their fans) THEY ALL ENDED.

This is the illusion of playing the weak schedule you're playing. FH has been this good for at least 10 years. 1A isn't going to get any better in the next few years, so they can continue this "run" indefinitely. The only wildcard is if Alco can challenge them.

If you look at the 1A champs since 2006, it's only 3 teams: Dunbar, Catoctin and FH. Dunbar and Catoctin are no longer in 1A, and FH didn't beat either one of them. They didn't get any better, the other good teams moved up, lol. And neither Dunbar or Catoctin have had the same level of success at the 2A level.

FH is the best team in 1A, but they are not a Top 20 Maryland team. The talk of playing DeMatha or Good Counsel is laughable. FH doesn't play against elite talent and they haven't consistently produced college level players. Wasn't the last count three FH players currently playing at any level? For the people who say FH is a 3A team, the top 3A schools are producing at least three college level players every year. The top 4A schools have 8 or 9 players as good as FH's best player every year.

This is the illusion of playing the weak schedule you're playing. FH has been this good for at least 10 years. 1A isn't going to get any better in the next few years, so they can continue this "run" indefinitely. The only wildcard is if Alco can challenge them.

If you look at the 1A champs since 2006, it's only 3 teams: Dunbar, Catoctin and FH. Dunbar and Catoctin are no longer in 1A, and FH didn't beat either one of them. They didn't get any better, the other good teams moved up, lol. And neither Dunbar or Catoctin have had the same level of success at the 2A level.

FH is the best team in 1A, but they are not a Top 20 Maryland team. The talk of playing DeMatha or Good Counsel is laughable. FH doesn't play against elite talent and they haven't consistently produced college level players. Wasn't the last count three FH players currently playing at any level? For the people who say FH is a 3A team, the top 3A schools are producing at least three college level players every year. The top 4A schools have 8 or 9 players as good as FH's best player every year.
Fort Hill could compete with any 3a school. Compete maybe not win all but compete. Don't be a hater.

Helmick didn't say they were a top 3A team, just said they are playing like a 3A Team, and surely they are, they would beat most.

Which pretty much proves your point that there is a world of difference between 2A and 1A. Dunbar was just as dominant when they were in 1A as FH is now. Dunbar hasn't "changed" they just moved up a class. And yeah, they scheduled Gilman...and lost...and still haven't won a 2A title anyway. It's not lost on anyone that FH would have the same struggles.

FH is the best team in 1A, but they are not a Top 20 Maryland team.

Per you. Understood. We get it. It was 50. Then 25. Now it's 20. At least they're moving up. :)

Wasn't the last count three FH players currently playing at any level?

I think it's 6 playing and 1 (Brown) with a verbal commit? I'm just going from memory, I might have missed a couple.

Little Boy Blue I have NEVER said FH is better than a 3a team, never said they haven't been as good as the past 10 years, never said this is the best team ever. I simply said FH is in the middle of an amazing run, the likes the area seldom sees (Moorefield was amazing) and may never see again. Rather that is due to a diluted field or the Sentinels is the 700 lb gorilla in 1a is of little consequence to me. It is a great time to be a Sentinel and I hope the run continues long term, but ALL good things come to an end.

Also tell your boy Sid he better get a move on releasing the FH 3 peat song, at this rate he's going to have to dub over and change the title to "it's a 4 peat"

Last edited:
Dub for the 4 peat, love it.

It can't possibly be any good though, I mean Sid isn't even in the ITunes Download Top 50.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT