ADVERTISEMENT

The Obvious needs to be stated...

WeHave8

All State Poster
Sep 26, 2001
It is not a coincidence that FH's little run began the first year the better football schools moved up in class, and ended the first year those same schools returned. Today, it was a Dunbar team, once again, that defeated FH. Last week, Lackey was just a couple yards shy of doing it in Cumberland. There won't be anymore Surrattsville, Kent County or Douglass Ducks to blow out. They will be eliminated in the Region games. Nobody outside South End really was in awe of this run. People in the know realized that FH didn't beat a Damascus, Walkersville or Linganore type team like another area team has. They were simply the best in an otherwise watered down version of 1A football where there were only less than five serious contenders. So, the finger pointing and the "I told you so's" will begin. FH had a chance to eliminate that arguement today, but couldn't. Finally, given the success FH had the last five seasons, they never had the "anytime, anywhere" mentality when it came to scheduling. FH fans will say that it is due to the play-off structure, but when Alco was on their run, that was Gilmore's motto, and that was when they took only eight schools in the play-offs. The fact that FH's coach whines after losing, believing they shouldn't have to play those schools is testament to that. Alco gave this years state champ it's only loss in the first week, like Alco did to Linganore in the first week of 1991 and Linganore would not lose again enroute to the 3A title. And now Alco will open up on the road next year to play the defending champs. So, beat your chests all you want, when you leave South End, people will say "I TOLD YOU SO.''

I've explained this before on the board. But FH people operate in their own world. 1A is a problem to the MPSSAA because there aren't many good programs. That's why since 2006 either FH or Dunbar (the best 1A teams) have won the title every year except once. That's why I don't understand why Appel is whining about the playoff system. It's helped FH more than any other school in the state. During their run they played barely .500 schools like Surrattsville and Forestville in the semi-finals.

And you are absolutely correct that, "Nobody outside South End really was in awe of this run." People respect the program but other high school coaching staffs and college recruiters realize the level of opponents that FH has played recently. This year they faced solid competition in the playoffs for the first time since 2012 and they're mad about it?

Last edited:
It is not a coincidence that FH's little run began the first year the better football schools moved up in class, and ended the first year those same schools returned. Today, it was a Dunbar team, once again, that defeated FH. Last week, Lackey was just a couple yards shy of doing it in Cumberland. There won't be anymore Surrattsville, Kent County or Douglass Ducks to blow out. They will be eliminated in the Region games. Nobody outside South End really was in awe of this run. People in the know realized that FH didn't beat a Damascus, Walkersville or Linganore type team like another area team has. They were simply the best in an otherwise watered down version of 1A football where there were only less than five serious contenders. So, the finger pointing and the "I told you so's" will begin. FH had a chance to eliminate that arguement today, but couldn't. Finally, given the success FH had the last five seasons, they never had the "anytime, anywhere" mentality when it came to scheduling. FH fans will say that it is due to the play-off structure, but when Alco was on their run, that was Gilmore's motto, and that was when they took only eight schools in the play-offs. The fact that FH's coach whines after losing, believing they shouldn't have to play those schools is testament to that. Alco gave this years state champ it's only loss in the first week, like Alco did to Linganore in the first week of 1991 and Linganore would not lose again enroute to the 3A title. And now Alco will open up on the road next year to play the defending champs. So, beat your chests all you want, when you leave South End, people will say "I TOLD YOU SO.''
And that is what everybody says about alco's 8's...outside of blue nation of course.
When you defeat Dunbar for a state title maybe that will change.

Reactions: Over the top we go
I've explained this before on the board. But FH people operate in their own world. 1A is a problem to the MPSSAA because there aren't many good programs. That's why since 2006 either FH or Dunbar has won the title every year except once. That's why I don't understand why Appel is whining about the playoff system. It's helped FH more than any other school in the state. During their run they played barely .500 schools like Surrattsville and Forestville in the semi-finals.

And you are absolutely correct that, "Nobody outside South End really was in awe of this run." People respect the program but other high school coaching staffs and college recruiters realize the level of opponents that FH has played recently. This year they faced solid competition in the playoffs for the first time since 2012 and they're mad about it?
correction, appel is mad about it. don't throw all fh fans into this basket.

It was a 4 point game bud
does that make you happy? does it make you feel better? are you saying you didn't expect to win so getting close was good?
i expected to lose because i knew appel wouldn't adjust and dunbar would. that's why dunbar's coach owns appel.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
No I’m saying just because Dunbar is in 1a again isn’t the end of the road. They got us this time. I don’t feel it’s the new trend

Reactions: camper21502
No I’m saying just because Dunbar is in 1a again isn’t the end of the road. They got us this time. I don’t feel it’s the new trend
Then just tell me what is going to be different next time. We've seen this staff against that staff 3 or 4 times now, the same result. Are you telling me that this staff is going to do something different that will change the outcome? I just don't have the confidence that they think they need to. We haven't been able to defend this style of offense when we needed to. Think back to the last final against them when we had the lead with a couple minutes to go, needed one stop, couldn't get it, needed a two pt. stop, couldn't get it. It's almost like they toy with us. They know they can go down the field any time and when they put their mind to it it's done. Give me one reason to think it will be different next time, and the trend won't continue.

Guys,. I realize this board is about discussion and the second guessing and questioning is what makes it interesting. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions and takes on the different subjects covered on this board. However, looking at this thread, I think you have to remember one thing....Fort Hill lost by FOUR points to Dunbar for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. I think you ask anyone and a 4 point game sounds like a great game to watch. Of course it didn't turn out how we wished for our area, but sometimes when you lose, a lot of it has to do with the plays MADE by the other team. Had they gone down there and got blown out, then perhaps you blow up the process. I am sure if you ask any other team if they exchange the outcome of their season for a chance to play Dunbar for the state championship knowing it will either be a 4 point win or loss, the 45+ other teams jump at the chance. Congrats to FH on a great year!

Guys,. I realize this board is about discussion and the second guessing and questioning is what makes it interesting. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions and takes on the different subjects covered on this board. However, looking at this thread, I think you have to remember one thing....Fort Hill lost by FOUR points to Dunbar for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. I think you ask anyone and a 4 point game sounds like a great game to watch. Of course it didn't turn out how we wished for our area, but sometimes when you lose, a lot of it has to do with the plays MADE by the other team. Had they gone down there and got blown out, then perhaps you blow up the process. I am sure if you ask any other team if they exchange the outcome of their season for a chance to play Dunbar for the state championship knowing it will either be a 4 point win or loss, the 45+ other teams jump at the chance. Congrats to FH on a great year!
and with that logic alco should be very grateful they only lost to the 4 time defending state champion, state runner up, by one point. I'm sure they'll tell you they aren't happy about that or satisfied. If you're satisfied, look for the same result next time.

Dunbar had a different coach in 97 too. FH tried 2 or 3 passes in that game?

If we had Josh Page instead of Banks to wear them down, maybe it's different or even Raein Smith.
you're right, that's why it shouldn't have been used to answer the current question, what makes anyone think our staff can beat that stuff next year?
dunbar didn't run the spread back then either.
josh page wasn't going to do anything about dunbar's offense. He wasn't going tostop an 87 yard td pass, he wasn't going to stop a td on the first play to the outside.

Nah, you're just mad about losing. Allegany won six at 2A. Where Fort Hill could only win one. Stay hurt, though.
59-32

Reactions: Waggle Pass
And that is what everybody says about alco's 8's...outside of blue nation of course.
When you defeat Dunbar for a state title maybe that will change.

Cumberland shrinks. Talent diminishes. No Brown or Smith for FH this year, so they lost. And actually, nobody diminishes Alco championships but FH. They've been within my lifetime as FH's 1A championships will be within yours.

Diminish the talent and teams Alco played to get to this game:

Reactions: Big Campers Fan

Last edited:
Cumberland shrinks. Talent diminishes. No Brown or Smith for FH this year, so they lost. And actually, nobody diminishes Alco championships but FH. They've been within my lifetime as FH's 1A championships will be within yours.

Diminish the talent and teams Alco played to get to this game:

right back at ya, nobody diminishes fh's except alco, next

right back at ya, nobody diminishes fh's except alco, next

Not true at all - not even close. The comments in this forum that diminish FH's 1A championships are primarily non-Alco grads, and surely not me. My beef this year has been with the FH coach, the mendacity surrounding the first half of their scheduling and the usual mix of loggerheaded douchebaggery by FH posters who ignore the obvious, bash teams that drop FH and somehow pretend that there are more than one or two Alco folk in here to witness their crap.

[QUOTE=".....So, beat your chests all you want, when you leave South End, people will say "I TOLD YOU SO.''[/QUOTE]

My Dad and his brothers heard that kind of language and tone in the 1930s, 40s and 50s coming out of West Side and the rich side of town. No wonder they were so intense about wanting to pound Allegany so hard into the ground each year. Oh well.

Be that as it may, both schools can be proud of their achievements this year, their traditions, and what has been achieved in the past (and yes FH's run the last five years), You only prove what what we know to be true (and true all these years) - you say you root for the Cumberland boys, but you don't mean South End.

Reactions: towpath94
Not true at all - not even close. The comments in this forum that diminish FH's 1A championships are primarily non-Alco grads, and surely not me. My beef this year has been with the FH coach, the mendacity surrounding the first half of their scheduling and the usual mix of loggerheaded douchebaggery by FH posters who ignore the obvious, bash teams that drop FH and somehow pretend that there are more than one or two Alco folk in here to witness their crap.
Not true, original poster of this thread is wehave8, look at it. I'm pretty sure that's an alco grad.

Reactions: PowerRamRight
I've explained this before on the board. But FH people operate in their own world. 1A is a problem to the MPSSAA because there aren't many good programs. That's why since 2006 either FH or Dunbar (the best 1A teams) have won the title every year except once. That's why I don't understand why Appel is whining about the playoff system. It's helped FH more than any other school in the state. During their run they played barely .500 schools like Surrattsville and Forestville in the semi-finals.

Well to be fair, Appel has always hated the playoff system. He's been saying that since I played for him a few years ago. This isn't new to anyone who has played or knows Coach. He just said that at the wrong place and wrong time. Now people think Appel is making excuses. Changing the system wouldn't have made any difference of what transpired yesterday.

THE OBVIOUS NEEDS TO BE STATED

The only time WeHave8 posts squat has been when FH loses, three times on October 24 this year after the Friendship game. That was his first post since 2016 (you can see this by clicking on his username). And now a post immediately after a FH loss. Weak, really, really weak. You must hate FH with every fiber in your body in that the only post you can fathom up in the course of a year is only when FH loses in an attempt to diminish the state record accomplishments of teenage kids. I have never been one to come here and try to diminish the state titles Alco has won while never having to play teams such as Dunbar six times to get a title, but it's ironic an Alco fan would cry about FH having to do so. When I played FH was in a higher classification for a long stretch. That doesn't take away from what Alco did in that same stretch of time.

WeHave8 and Lagmeister must be related. If you have nothing to say when Fort Hill wins, you have nothing to say when they lose.

Not true, original poster of this thread is wehave8, look at it. I'm pretty sure that's an alco grad.

Hold on dude. One or two posters in this forum on random occasions does not a generality make. You've been here since 2016. In my tenure since 2007 this has been a bash-a-rama against Allegany. I've hung around because over time I have come to like both schools. (present year is an exception.)

Ever since the talent dropped off for Alco, it's been a Yee! Hah! bite me Allegany from most of the FH fanboys. In fact, there has never been.... ever... a real recognition of Allegany around here for anything, really. It's always been the same we-played-in-a-higher-classification diatribe ever since I can remember. Hell, I can remember the constant crap that there wouldn't be an Allegany player that would start for FH.

Get real. It's been a one sided piece of shit ever since I joined this forum.... and cowardly too. When accusations against FH developed from downstate or trolls, those same Allegany trash-talkers hid under rocks. Sure, you weren't here. But those are the facts.

The only time WeHave8 posts squat has been when FH loses, three times on October 24 this year after the Friendship game. That was his first post since 2016 (you can see this by clicking on his username). And now a post immediately after a FH loss. Weak, really, really weak. You must hate FH with every fiber in your body in that the only post you can fathom up in the course of a year is only when FH loses in an attempt to diminish the state record accomplishments of teenage kids. I have never been one to come here and try to diminish the state titles Alco has won while never having to play teams such as Dunbar six times to get a title, but it's ironic an Alco fan would cry about FH having to do so. When I played FH was in a higher classification for a long stretch. That doesn't take away from what Alco did in that same stretch of time.

WeHave8 and Lagmeister must be related. If you have nothing to say when Fort Hill wins, you have nothing to say when they lose.

That is a blatant lie and you know it. What the hell has happened to you? Most of these years I've been the only Allegany poster to defend and cheer on FH. Again, I ask what the hell has happened to you to lie about my posts. I've recorded all FH's championship games - and posted so. I bragged about those championship FH teams and how well they represented Cumberland. Why are you lying? For years I've wanted Allegany to win homecoming and FH to win the championship because they represented Cumberland the most. I've posted so continuously for years. Why are you lying about it?

Hold on dude. One or two posters in this forum on random occasions does not a generality make. You've been here since 2016. In my tenure since 2007 this has been a bash-a-rama against Allegany. I've hung around because over time I have come to like both schools. (present year is an exception.)

Ever since the talent dropped off for Alco, it's been a Yee! Hah! bite me Allegany from most of the FH fanboys. In fact, there has never been.... ever... a real recognition of Allegany around here for anything, really. It's always been the same we-played-in-a-higher-classification diatribe ever since I can remember. Hell, I can remember the constant crap that there wouldn't be an Allegany player that would start for FH.

Get real. It's been a one sided piece of shit ever since I joined this forum.... and cowardly too. When accusations against FH developed from downstate or trolls, those same Allegany trash-talkers hid under rocks. Sure, you weren't here. But those are the facts.
This is my third different username, once hacked, once changed after fh one their 4th. What does that have to do with anything? Do you think you invented and own the board. Do you think 3,900 posts is something to be proud of? As todd said, you waited until fh lost to jump back in. Allegany posters have coined this behavior as trolling.
It was an alco grad who started this thread and was diminishing fh. Doesn't that make alco fair game? you have to go on the attack and instantly try to throw all fh fans into the same category just because I pointed you to something you said wasn't happening. You have made the generalities again and again, just look at your last post - it's been a one sided piece of shit - there may be fh posters who are extreme, like alco posters, but one sided, dude, get real!

Reactions: PowerRamRight

the fact is you said those diminishing fh are non-alco grads, and the creator of the thread was an alco grad, those are the facts, dude.

This same coaching staff narrowly lost to one of the best Dunbar teams in years and one of the best HS running backs in MD history. Since 2008, the losses have not been overwheliming blowouts and could have gone either way. I don't think any lack of specific change in game plan or philosophy is to blame.

If FH had all the parts of all the good teams at the same time, these outcomes could be different. If King and Hipp are kicking in 2008, FH beats Tavon and Co. If they have Johnson like speed this year, they mightve beat Dunbar this yr. You take the different parts of the full recipe each year, and try to make the best dish you can.

Thats 1A football.

Some of these comments on here are really amusing. Especially the ones made by individuals who act like they know alot about whats going on, but yet their history says otherwise. Just seems like their repeating things they've heard others say to make them appear like something or someone they're not, you know who you are. I'm done here, Merry "Christ"mas people! and a Happy New Year! Make America Great Again!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT