ADVERTISEMENT

Southern vs Clear Spring game cancelled - no refs

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Due to a mix up with officials assigned to cover this game in Oakland, no refs showed up. Being told they will try to play the game at Clear Spring on Monday. This game has playoff implications.

Yeah, someone really made a mess of this one. Senior night in Oakland and last home game of the year for the Rams. So now those seniors lose the chance to play their last game at home because someone can't schedule correctly. I know mistakes can happen but it's happened before as well as in other sports. Now, fans and parents must drive to Clear Spring because of a " scheduling error". Now this year's Southern travel schedule:

To Smithsburg= 2.5 hours
To Catoctin = 3 hours
To Gwynn Park= 4 hours
To Fort Hill= 1 hour
To Clear Spring= 2 hours
To Northern= 30 min

Frustrating to pass all the local schools like Frankfort and Mt Ridge as we drive to play these guys like this.

The only other upset that could put FH in the drivers seat would be Hedgesville beating Jefferson next week. I can't see Hedgesville beating anyone. They really fell off the map.

That is just pathetic!!!! no words to explain that one. Who is the idiot in charge of the officiating?

Yes, pathetic a pretty good description. Just feel bad for the kids. Nothing they could control. Because of the new playoff format this year , they already lost 1 home game so were playing 4 home and 5 away. Then with Tucker walking off the field with 5 min left in the 2nd, they have effectively got to play a little over 9 quarters in front of their home crowd all year.

I know that the host team is responsible for providing the venue and referees. Does anyone know how officials are scheduled or acquired? I would assume this job ultimately falls to the A.D. at each school rather than the individual coaches of each sport? Am I correct with this assumption?

I know that the host team is responsible for providing the venue and referees. Does anyone know how officials are scheduled or acquired? I would assume this job ultimately falls to the A.D. at each school rather than the individual coaches of each sport? Am I correct with this assumption?

Redwhite90
Any chance you could post the final score here Monday night after the Clear Spring game? Thanks.
Score Stream is great, but not always updated depending on the game.

I have Southern beating Clear Spring and making the playoffs as an 8 seed. Honestly, it would not surprise me if Southern can beat Northern. The Huskies are obviously the favorite but in a rivalry it's not a sure thing.

Phil Carr was on WCBC radio this week talking about the Alco game and said one of his 3 year starters is done for the season with injury. I didn't get the name but wondered how much that affected Northern.

Jake Rush is the Husky that was injured in the MR game, is going to need knee surgery from what I understand. He is only a junior, so he will hopefully be ready to go next year. Agree, Northern/Southern should be a lot closer than what it looked like it would be a few weeks ago, I still think the Huskies should be the favorite, especially with Southern coming off a short turnaround, but it'll hopefully be a good one.

Redwhite90
Any chance you could post the final score here Monday night after the Clear Spring game? Thanks.
Score Stream is great, but not always updated depending on the game.

I have Southern beating Clear Spring and making the playoffs as an 8 seed. Honestly, it would not surprise me if Southern can beat Northern. The Huskies are obviously the favorite but in a rivalry it's not a sure thing.

Phil Carr was on WCBC radio this week talking about the Alco game and said one of his 3 year starters is done for the season with injury. I didn't get the name but wondered how much that affected Northern.

Reactions: TDHelmick
7-7 halftime against the refs! 4 consecutive plays with a penalty with SHS in the red zone!

Thanks RAMSman. Good luck in the playoffs. I have Southern projected to get in regardless of the outcome with Northern. You need Clear Spring to beat Berkeley Springs next week though if you don't beat Northern.

Last edited:
Thanks RAMSman. Good luck in the playoffs. I have Southern projected to get in regardless of the outcome with Northern. You need Clear Spring to beat Berkeley Springs next week though if you don't beat Northern.
It will be tough, short turn around, but who knows, it is a rivalry game! Numbers are down but some good young talent will help!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT