ADVERTISEMENT

FH at Southern game cancelled for Friday

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
The varsity football game this Friday at 7:00 pm between Fort Hill and Southern Garrett in Oakland has been cancelled. Southern only has 12 players available.

The JV game for Monday between Fort Hill and Southern at Greenway Ave Stadium is still on.

I feel bad for Southern. They only have 2 seniors healthy and I suspect they will have to cancel many if not all their varsity games moving forward.

Reactions: BIGREDFAN08
Got a feeling that Southern varsity football program is nearing an end. Just not enough kids to support both schools in Garrett County.

Last edited:
Southern has such a long history of really good football teams going back into the 70's if I remember correctly. They were always solid, so well coached, had great fans, and it is terribly sad to hear this.

Got a feeling that Southern varsity football program is nearing an end. Just not enough kids to support both schools in Garrett County.
they should of combined the schools years ago in Mchenry, the same should of already happened in Cumberland.
in Cumberland if they were to combine the schools, some could go to Mt Ridge and make them much better and Cumberland City High might actually have some interest in playing better larger schools but it won't happen because so many people are stuck on a football game that hasn't meant anything in 25 years.

• Haha
Reactions: ravemwp and Dwj21
It’s not a good idea and it really has nothing to do with Homecoming. The job loss from consolidation would negatively impact Allegany County economically and God forbid we have any further major employers cut jobs. Local school employees spend most of their income at local businesses. The money saved would be negated from the loss of economic activity from the laid off teachers/staff, and they and their families would need to relocate out of the area. As long as the county can afford to maintain two high schools then consolidation is meaningless, unless one is hoping for some large school football superpower, which is not guaranteed anyway.

Last edited:
If Fort Hill ever needed a tune up game to get their timing down, and some repetition of snaps it would’ve been this week

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT