ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question About Field Use

loco09

All County Poster
Jul 11, 2018
Back during the summer there was a discussion about how much use Greenway sees that can potentially wear down the turf even faster than the recommended replacement date. Boys and Girls JV and Varsity soccer, Frosh, Jv, Varsity Football, there are CAYFL games there as well plus other events. My question is the new Allegany has a full size field, with a full size track, I realize not much space for bleachers but they could have found a way to put one small side of stands to host soccer matches there. Football would still be at Greenway as there isnt enough space for an actual stadium but there's no reason soccer matches couldn't be there. Just having soccer matches there would eliminate at least 20 games per year probably on the turf at Greenway.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
YES. But somebody might get upset their kid didn't get to play at Greenway in front of 20 fans.

That's actually a good idea. All they need are enough stands to seat about 25 people. Allow other fans to bring lawn chairs if they want. The county is losing money letting soccer play at Greenway.

Yes, FH soccer and events could play on the practice field at FH or at Washington Middle

Playing on the field has absolutely nothing to do with attendance.

Both female and male soccer teams from AHS and FHHS have as much right to play on the turf as anyone.

A significant concern is the fact that community members are on and off the field all the time. That shouldn’t be permitted. Trust me, try to play a pick up game of anything at MRHS Stadium, and you will be asked to leave before you step foot on the field.

The gate should be locked except when an event is occurring.

Furthermore, the track is in such bad shape because athletes from all sports are permitted to wear cleats on it, and there is the occasional automobile that goes around it.

Simply pointing out that there are more significant issues than high school soccer games being played on the turf at Greenway Avenue Stadium.

Both female and male soccer teams from AHS and FHHS have as much right to play on the turf as anyone.

A significant concern is the fact that community members are on and off the field all the time. That shouldn’t be permitted. Trust me, try to play a pick up game of anything at MRHS Stadium, and you will be asked to leave before you step foot on the field.

Furthermore, the track is in such bad shape because athletes from all sports are permitted to wear cleats on it, and there is the occasional automobile that goes around it.

Simply pointing out that there are more significant issues than high school soccer games being played on the turf at Greenway Avenue Stadium.
I’m not 100% sure ,but I think with the county funds and “open Air” money they used for the stadium is why it’s open to the public. I’m justing saying there was some talk of this about 5 years ago someone on the message board might have better info.

No one should be allowed to practice on that field either. Not the soccer teams, not the football teams, not the bands. Regardless of this or any other non-sporting event, there are still way too many sports being played on this turf according to the people that build the turf and put it down. Way, way, way too many.

I agree, they could have put a few bleachers at the Allegany new field and played some games on it. Mostly because it looks like a really nice field from the photos I have seen. Unless they want to use it strictly as a practice field. But has any team practiced on it yet? Hell, the new grass at Alco looks better than what is at Greenway.

Much like the old Alco field and track, you can't play games at Washington Middle or the practice fields as they are not regulation size and it would not be permitted for safety reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT