ADVERTISEMENT

Hollidaysburg Hand Cut Chili and Cheese Fries

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
I had 2 aspects to watch for Fort Hill tonight at Hollidaysburg...number of times the ball hits the turf and the FH pass defense.

I counted 4 fumbles with 1 lost. However, none were due to the center/QB exchange like we saw against Coolidge. Looks like FH figured that out.

The Tigers throw the ball. Some. They have had success thru the air this season. Basically up to this point this represented the best passing team FH has seen, with much better passing teams to come. I thought FH covered very well outside of the final two drives of the game while in prevent soft coverage. This young and inexperienced secondary got a good grade tonight. Not sure of the Hollidaysburg passing numbers but they were very limited.

This game turned to start the 2nd quarter. That's about the time the Sentinel OL took over and started dominating the trenches with seemingly five different running backs gashing the Golden Tigers up and down the field. Once the score hit 35-7 FH seemed to go into coast mode. The only thing that stopped the FH offense were the penalty flags.

I am rarely hard on officials. You don't know how tough that job is until you actually walk in their shoes for a game. My main problem with officials no matter what level is that a strike on the outside corner has to be a strike for both teams. That was not the case tonight. 10 penalties to 1. I never understood how a passing team can have zero holding calls while a running team gets holding calls and crack back blocks so much. I'm fine if you want to call holding, but Hess got mugged all night and not one call. Doesn't make a lick of sense. Oh well.

There is still a ton of unanswered questions with this FH team that will get answered hard over the next five weeks. The next four opponents before Homecoming - Briar Woods, Mtn Ridge, Wadsworth and New Oxford - are currently a combined 19-1. Each of them is a bigger school in size, with two of them more than double and triple in size. Should be fun.

The negative aspect for FH at this juncture has been the passing game, nothing new after 85 years of football on the Hill I suppose. It really looked like through the first two scrimmages and the opener vs. Northern that this team was sure to throw the ball 10-15 times a game. But every time they throw the ball it kills the drive as it's incomplete or a sack. Incomplete passes kill a team that relies so much on the ground game. The QB is not looking down field often enough. It's more of looking at pass rushers and lanes to turn the play into a running QB. The protection has been spotty as well. The only way to fix it seems to be a very short passing game that resembles nothing much different than a hand off. Much like the two-point conversion FH was successful with tonight to a TE who faked falling down only to get up and catch a short pass in the flats of the end zone. That has to be the passing game, nothing more than 10 yards or nothing more than the first read. Very discombobulated at the present. I told friends I was sitting with that the FH passing game is always going to be what it is. That the modernization of spread and throw football should not be a part of the FH equation just because that's the "trend" today. Or that is what gets players recruited (which is hog wash). FH has an unprecedented winning record. Forcing FH to change it and throw the ball more equates to changing the Coca-Cola formula, which for those of us old enough to remember that happening, was a complete disaster. Leave it alone. Stop listening to people who bitch about not throwing the ball more because that is all they see elsewhere.

On the positive side, the FH running backs are getting better each week. Only one senior in this backfield with a ton of sophomores and a frosh leading the way. Carson Bender, that frosh, is legit. He may wind up the team's leading rusher come season's end. What a great future. His best aspect seems to be an astounding vision for finding the open space and getting there quick. Tonight, the big eye-opener was Daniels carrying the rock. Tonight, there was speed and power as he finds his place in this fullback heavy offense. The OL and defensive front were dominating.

This Fort Hill team has a chance to be very good once they stop shooting themselves in the foot offensively. The little things will matter the next five weeks.

FYI, the hand cut fries at the Hollidaysburg concessions were stellar. I got the chili and cheese fries basket. Too much for even my advanced appetite. Oh, and my first official hot chocolate of the year. Fall weather his here.

Last edited:
Paper had Wyland, the starter for H'burg going 1 of 8 for eight yards and 2nd string Bainey going 6 of 16 for 127 yards. So 7-24 for 135 yds, yet people will say they threw all over Fort Hill.

Would be interesting to watch the game film with the FH coaches and see what the officials did get right.

Briar Woods does look to be the toughest test so far. But their four opponents are a combined 6-11.

I hate to be negative but the current QB looks to run first. That may be due to his inexperience and confidence because of the lack thereof. I felt the team was more fluid with #10 as QB in the practices and scrimmages I saw. As you pointed out, with Fort Hill's record over the last ten years arguing about them throwing more seems pointless. Almost every team FH plays DOES throw it that much more and yet they still can't beat Fort Hill.

I can't remember FH ever having a stable of backs this deep. Any word on Tristan Ross? I know he had a hammy issue. Do they think he'll play this year? If you see video of Daniels 2nd td, note Nick Willison's crushing block to open the seam.

Looking forward to next week. Win or lose I think they will grow immensely from it.

I had 2 aspects to watch for Fort Hill tonight at Hollidaysburg...number of times the ball hits the turf and the FH pass defense.

I counted 4 fumbles with 1 lost. However, none were due to the center/QB exchange like we saw against Coolidge. Looks like FH figured that out.

The Tigers throw the ball. Some. They have had success thru the air this season. Basically up to this point this represented the best passing team FH has seen, with much better passing teams to come. I thought FH covered very well outside of the final two drives of the game while in prevent soft coverage. This young and inexperienced secondary got a good grade tonight. Not sure of the Hollidaysburg passing numbers but they were very limited.

This game turned to start the 2nd quarter. That's about the time the Sentinel OL took over and started dominating the trenches with seemingly five different running backs gashing the Golden Tigers up and down the field. Once the score hit 35-7 FH seemed to go into coast mode. The only thing that stopped the FH offense were the penalty flags.

I am rarely hard on officials. You don't know how tough that job is until you actually walk in their shoes for a game. My main problem with officials no matter what level is that a strike on the outside corner has to be a strike for both teams. That was not the case tonight. 10 penalties to 1. I never understood how a passing team can have zero holding calls while a running team gets holding calls and crack back blocks so much. I'm fine if you want to call holding, but Hess got mugged all night and not one call. Doesn't make a lick of sense. Oh well.

There is still a ton of unanswered questions with this FH team that will get answered hard over the next five weeks. The next four opponents before Homecoming - Briar Woods, Mtn Ridge, Wadsworth and New Oxford - are currently a combined 19-1. Each of them is a bigger school in size, with two of them more than double and triple in size. Should be fun.

The negative aspect for FH at this juncture has been the passing game, nothing new after 85 years of football on the Hill I suppose. It really looked like through the first two scrimmages and the opener vs. Northern that this team was sure to throw the ball 10-15 times a game. But every time they throw the ball it kills the drive as it's incomplete or a sack. Incomplete passes kill a team that relies so much on the ground game. The QB is not looking down field often enough. It's more of looking at pass rushers and lanes to turn the play into a running QB. The protection has been spotty as well. The only way to fix it seems to be a very short passing game that resembles nothing much different than a hand off. Much like the two-point conversion FH was successful with tonight to a TE who faked falling down only to get up and catch a short pass in the flats of the end zone. That has to be the passing game, nothing more than 10 yards or nothing more than the first read. Very discombobulated at the present. I told friends I was sitting with that the FH passing game is always going to be what it is. That the modernization of spread and throw football should not be a part of the FH equation just because that's the "trend" today. Or that is what gets players recruited (which is hog wash). FH has an unprecedented winning record. Forcing FH to change it and throw the ball more equates to changing the Coca-Cola formula, which for those of us old enough to remember that happening, was a complete disaster. Leave it alone. Stop listening to people who bitch about not throwing the ball more because that is all they see elsewhere.

On the positive side, the FH running backs are getting better each week. Only one senior in this backfield with a ton of sophomores and a frosh leading the way. Carson Bender, that frosh, is legit. He may wind up the team's leading rusher come season's end. What a great future. His best aspect seems to be an astounding vision for finding the open space and getting there quick. Tonight, the big eye-opener was Daniels carrying the rock. Tonight, there was speed and power as he finds his place in this fullback heavy offense. The OL and defensive front were dominating.

This Fort Hill team has a chance to be very good once they stop shooting themselves in the foot offensively. The little things will matter the next five weeks.

FYI, the hand cut fries at the Hollidaysburg concessions were stellar. I got the chili and cheese fries basket. Too much for even my advanced appetite. Oh, and my first official hot chocolate of the year. Fall weather his here.
As always you give a great review of the game. I always look forward to reading it. I really think that you and waggle pass are missing the point about passing.
I haven’t heard anyone say they wanted Fort Hill to be a passing team., but they should be able to execute a screen or swing pass. When you run into a team like Friendship collegiate a few years ago, or a real good Dunbar team. They know what you’re going to do every play and you have to be a far superior team to win that game..

I am old enough to remember all of those years, where Fort Hill was loaded with talent, got into the playoffs, and could not score, ( does anyone remember the freezing game in Linganore? ).. There were so many like that. because the teams knew all five plays that we ran. Lol.

I hope we keep winning this way for the next 50 years but why make it so hard. When teams load up on the run just throw a screen pass here or there.. I have a feeling we are going to need a little of it against Briarwoods and Wadsworth.

As always you give a great review of the game. I always look forward to reading it. I really think that you and waggle pass are missing the point about passing.
I haven’t heard anyone say they wanted Fort Hill to be a passing team., but they should be able to execute a screen or swing pass. When you run into a team like Friendship collegiate a few years ago, or a real good Dunbar team. They know what you’re going to do every play and you have to be a far superior team to win that game..

I am old enough to remember all of those years, where Fort Hill was loaded with talent, got into the playoffs, and could not score, ( does anyone remember the freezing game in Linganore? ).. There were so many like that. because the teams knew all five plays that we ran. Lol.

I hope we keep winning this way for the next 50 years but why make it so hard. When teams load up on the run just throw a screen pass here or there.. I have a feeling we are going to need a little of it against Briarwoods and Wadsworth.

If you saw the Northern game, they did execute those passes. Daniels took one to the house. They threw many swing passes to Allen last season. Why they chose not to last night you'll have to ask the coaches.

Great assessment as always. I agree that FH will never he a throwing team, but I do believe in this day of wide open football that even the threat of a passing game could only make FH running attack that much better. I did notice in the pre-season that Ross did a great job of catching the ball out of the backfield, and hasn't been available. What is your thoughts on Steven Spencer playing safety. FH has depth,and experience at linebacker. I think Spencer's experience and smarts, would help solidify the back end. He has some sneaky speed as well.

Reactions: Tony54
Paper had Wyland, the starter for H'burg going 1 of 8 for eight yards and 2nd string Bainey going 6 of 16 for 127 yards. So 7-24 for 135 yds, yet people will say they threw all over Fort Hill.

Would be interesting to watch the game film with the FH coaches and see what the officials did get right.

Briar Woods does look to be the toughest test so far. But their four opponents are a combined 6-11.

I hate to be negative but the current QB looks to run first. That may be due to his inexperience and confidence because of the lack thereof. I felt the team was more fluid with #10 as QB in the practices and scrimmages I saw. As you pointed out, with Fort Hill's record over the last ten years arguing about them throwing more seems pointless. Almost every team FH plays DOES throw it that much more and yet they still can't beat Fort Hill.

I can't remember FH ever having a stable of backs this deep. Any word on Tristan Ross? I know he had a hammy issue. Do they think he'll play this year? If you see video of Daniels 2nd td, note Nick Willison's crushing block to open the seam.

Looking forward to next week. Win or lose I think they will grow immensely from it.
I can't help but to agree with you on the QB situation. I commented on a previous thread my thoughts. Not to take away from any of the kids, but my thoughts are that while Browns athletic abilities may make him the most dynamic at times, his inexperience at the position can become a liability. Carney #10 may be the most experienced and steady, but my thoughts are his abilities are limited. On the other hand I think sophomore Noah House may be the best QB on the roster, with the most upside. He has been running this offense his whole life, him arm strength will improve with reps and age. Not sure why FH has him 4th on depth chart. As for Ross, I think he may have been cleared to return to light practice just this week, but don't know for sure if he has.

Last edited:

I've been clamoring for a short passing game for over a decade. It's not much different from handing the ball off. Throw where the 2nd level linebackers should be. Yes. It only opens up the run game. But I don't want to see shotgun spread at all outside of a 2 minute offense. Credit to FH for throwing out of base formations when they try to pass.

That process of transitioning to a pass isn't easy for a running team. It will cost them a game if your not completing passes.

Reactions: Tony54 and ravemwp
This type of offense a slant across the middle is a good play. You don’t see that play much anymore. I think it would be effective for Alco with Michaels at tight end.
I think that's why Alco will beat FH this year. I know, call it premature, but Alco can slam - and throw! We'll see. They played a great game against a very talented MR game, for certain.

No way FH will have a 35 point lead against Ridge or Alco. Ridge is better than last year. Alco is like day and night from last year. Last years team is no way close to this years Alco team. With all that said FH doesn’t have Mikey Allen he won football and basketball games for FH.

No way FH will have a 35 point lead against Ridge or Alco. Ridge is better than last year. Alco is like day and night from last year. Last years team is no way close to this years Alco team. With all that said FH doesn’t have Mikey Allen he won football and basketball games for FH.
“FH doesn't have Mikey Allen” that’s said every year about FH. Ty Johnson, Brayden brown, Carter swan, Blake white, Nathaniel graves, the clay brothers, stubbs just to name a few were all players that FH wasn’t supposed to be able to replace but yet the wins and titles keep piling up

If Fort Hill line stays healthy, the MR and Alco games will have a running clock.
If you're right, in two weeks I'll be eating crow. *If* FH does beat MR or Alco by more than 14, it'll be due to serious injuries of key players. Of course, I've tasted feathers before, but I don't think so this time.

If Fort Hill line stays healthy, the MR and Alco games will have a running clock.
We can all find things that FH could do better and it does seem like we go thru this every year...the slow start, penalties, lack of focus, people seemingly in wrong positions or people not playing who maybe should be...but in the end are we not seeing FH on top again? Every year it's going to be Alco's year and since they hung with MR they are all of the sudden a quality team. MR beat Alco so they are back to being right there with FH, or better. That game has nothing to do with FH. Before anybody puts these two in the finals and FH out let's just see how the head to head matchups go.

Ridge is not better than last year. That's just ridiculous.

Neither team has an answer for FHs lines. FHs defense is outstanding and will be tough to score on by either team.

WOW
Fort hill, better stop turning the ball over and having all of those penalties or they could very well lose to both teams. Having said that, if this Fort Hill team executes. They will win easily. I would be shocked if they win by 35 though.

Last edited:
You still think Ridge is better than last year?

You still think Ridge is better than last year?
Well, Frankfort was hanging with them. So, I think you might be right. Although, you have to admit FH played the best they have all season. I guess that's the nature of experience, though.

Reactions: Dwj21
Well, Frankfort was hanging with them. So, I think you might be right. Although, you have to admit FH played the best they have all season. I guess that's the nature of experience, though.
They played like they are capable of playing. Should they continue to play like this and improve it will not be a contest in the post season.

And tonight, Frankfort was not 100% healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT