ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game interview

Thank you for a classy and direct response, Todd. It's unfortunate that your name was brought up at all on the radio. The only person who okays the schedule for FH is the head coach himself.

Many thanks out to Todd H for all that he does for FH. It is a thankless, time-consuming job, I have no doubt. Ridiculous for you to be called out on the radio. If the HC wants to talk with you in private, that's one thing. It was not his forum to do so on Saturday afternoon. Hopefully, everything is worked out and damaged relationships are repaired. Still a lot of season left and everyone should CHILL and lay low for a while.

I know it’s way to soon to call and probably a bit of a stretch, but I don’t know how to start a thread here. Anyway I feel it’s a interesting topic of discussion. After looking at the next few games in the regular season, and the matchups in regional play come playoff time...it looks as if Dunbar will visit Greenway in the state semis, IF FH gets by Alco in the playoffs.

Comet, it is almost an impossible point scenario for Dunbar to come TO Cumberland. It is 99% more likely that if FH and Dunbar both win their regions, FH will be playing in Baltimore for the semifinals.

My apologies Comet, JMT just released his updated point scenarios on the Sunspot and he has FH projected at .02 over Dunbar.

That is a new twist. So you're right, could be DUnbar making it's second trip to Cumberland this year if they both win out.

Appel will throw whomever he can under the bus to make himself look better. I even noticed McKenney took his headset off in the second quarter, probably couldn't stand to listen to the sh!t anymore.

I am far more disappointed in Coach's crybaby antics than I am this loss.

Helmick, I know you're loyal to the team and will probably suffer and keep doing what you do..but I would tell coach to go get bent.

Whatever happened to saying we accepted a challenge and got beat by a better team?

FHHSAHS I think you nailed it. From the little bit I've read here over the past few weeks, you're probably the most logical guy on the board.

Everyone gets so worked up about scheduling and blaming people that it's stupid. No other word for it. Anyone complaining further about scheduling should be thrown off the board.

Back to my point about what FHHSAHS said... This, along with most issues on the board, is not complicated. But the fact of the matter is, SOMETIMES YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE.

FH scheduled a good team with a lot of talent and lost the game. I admit that I may not have the IQ to fully comprehend just how truly complicated that is, but as usual, I'm open to learning and constructive criticism so that I can understand what the issue is here (as long as it doesn't pertain to scheduling).

Years ago, my buddies and I lost two regular season games to two schools who had a handful of college players on each squad, and we still won a state title and yes, even a few of us were still able to play college ball. One school was the PA 2A or 3A runner-up, and the other had three or four D-I players on it. And yes, we intentionally scheduled them to prepare us for the playoffs and sure enough, we weren't only tested, but we learned a lot of things about ourselves, as well as what we needed to work on. So you can either schedule up or schedule down. Doesn't matter in the end, because either way, you'll lose a game at some point.

Not the end of the world.. just the end of an area record that was very well earned and deserved by a great program. My bet is, as someone noted on the thread earlier, this lights a fire under FH and they go on a tear to another state title. Nothing helps ground you and get you back to focusing on your goals more than getting your as* kicked.

My apologies Comet, JMT just released his updated point scenarios on the Sunspot and he has FH projected at .02 over Dunbar.

That is a new twist. So you're right, could be DUnbar making it's second trip to Cumberland this year if they both win out.

Tis no problem, that’s where I got my info from. I looked at remaining games to see if I feel the favored would win and it looks a strong possibility for sure.

Not to sure what to think of Lackey or Doug-PG down south if they meet HDG...who would win.

Helmick does his best to find good quality games. The problem is Appel turns alot of them down.. It seems to me Appel is more interested in trying to stay unbeaten each yr. Rather than playing a school on their level or better...

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Helmick does his best to find good quality games. The problem is Appel turns alot of them down.. It seems to me Appel is more interested in trying to stay unbeaten each yr. Rather than playing a school on their level or better...

What have any of us read in this forum that suggests that Helmick and Appel are not like-minded. In fact, when the interests of the young athletes becomes secondary to the glory of running and participating in an ongoing championship program, then it becomes easy to throw someone under the bus. One could easily conclude that it never was about the young men on the field anyhow - if it were, it would be about all the young men on the field.

I prefer personal accounts and real information.

So, don't we all. Since Helmick posts under his own name we can deem those as both personal and real information. Since we have public statements by Appel, we can consider those real information.

Admittedly, we blend those into secondhand forum opinions - but still, this isn't like a discussion on score projections.

So by that account...Appel seemed pissed that Helmick "scheduled" FCA. That in itself shows they must not be like-minded.

Reactions: camper21502
So by that account...Appel seemed pissed that Helmick "scheduled" FCA. That in itself shows they must not be like-minded.

That is 'real information' coming from the fact that we already know the game would not have happened without Appel's consent. Therefore, what we really know is that Appel threw Helmick under the bus.

We also know that Appel regrets the game and that he feels FH shouldn't have to play teams like FCA. Appel and Helmick agree on philosopy.... Helmick - (one can conclude) in Appel's mind - didn't measure up to task on this one.

Helmick being tarred with the loss and injuries has nothing to do with their sentiments about scheduling. It's the last man standing philosophy for both, wherein, local teams should be forced to play FH. Appel and Helmick are symbiotic.

Last edited:
When exactly has the kids interest become secondary Lag?

The interest of "kids" becomes "secondary" when you feel that teams of significantly less talent should be forced to play you but you should not have to play teams with significantly greater talent.

Having only the interest of your team at heart is not having the interest of kids at heart.

It’s funny you look at it that way. So that is where we have come to since Allegany lost 2 times to FH before the title run began. You know, the year FH would be lucky to be 5 and 5? 21-20x2? The year Allegany was loaded and was predicted to take it all. Ask a FH coach about those 2 games. You might be surprised by the answer.

How in the world can you possibly compare a team loaded with recruited college bound D1 and similar level athletes to a 1a school that has the same talent pool to other 1a schools? You can prop our kids up as demigods and whatever other terms you enjoy using but you know it’s BS. The only issue is Allegany missed recent chances not because of talent but coaching. They had the talent. They got out coached. Hansel is doing a good job over there. You don’t rebuild a program in a year. The last 2 years Allegany has been the only team standing in FH’s way from winning a title. Close hard fought games. This year Allegany looks like they are in that same situation. So if Allegany is a td or two away from FH, why a different standard in who we should schedule?

So if you feel that all of 1a is loaded with teams that shouldn’t have to play FH, why have classifications or regions? How many times has Boyz made the comment about PG teams putting kids into college. If FH was loaded with all of this talent you claim, don’t you think those kids would be going somewhere on scholarships?

The simple fact is FH has been winning games for years they didn’t deserve to even be in because the kids buy into the system. They work as a team and are disciplined. Their conditioning and strength program is incredible. You can throw your BS around all you want but both Todd’s have nothing but the kids interest at heart. To say anything different is absolutely ridiculous.

"You can prop our kids up as demigods" - I am sorry you feel that I might be thinking that. Perhaps if you think a little more about what I wrote you can see my comments are strictly aimed at the adults that run the FH program - whom you apparently want to give much of the credit for the team's success. It also appears that you are trying to shift attention away from their comments. FH beat MCC and played a competitive game against FCA. Why would that make them demigods? Currently, MaxPreps ranks FH higher than both. Frankly, as a team FH is on their competitive level. Keyser that you beat to death and was ridiculed in this forum is not on FH's level, not even close.

After sitting through the Northern game I have become even more aware of the difference in the level of talent in area teams. Fort Hill is not "... a 1a school that has the same talent pool to other 1a schools." When I comment about the kids, I comment about all the area kids. I understand completely your need to be defensive about the fine young men who play football for Fort Hill. My posts are not about them. They are about all the fine young men who play football in the area.

And, my point remains: it is not right to say that Fort Hill should not have to play more talented teams while demanding that lesser talented teams play them. That is my concern for all the young athletes. I am sorry you consider that BS.

If I misunderstood your reference to demigods, that is my fault. However I stand firm on what I say. There is talent on our team,you know as much as anyone I would never speak poorly of any of the kids in this area. Especially FH. But to make it look like FH has more talent than all of the other 1a schools is ridiculous. Their commitment to the program, hard work, and the coaches are what has always set them apart. We were blessed with some awesome kids and talented ones. Just like allegany has.

You are right. I get defensive. I love the kids and coaches. I shouldn’t post on here because of it. Sorry Lag and anyone else. Been a long day today and shouldn’t read this shit. My bad.

You are right. I get defensive. I love the kids and coaches. I shouldn’t post on here because of it. Sorry Lag and anyone else. Been a long day today and shouldn’t read this shit. My bad.

Don't know about others, but you're more than okay in my book. I take a shot at Helmick and lately Appel because they are directly guiding the FH program. In such levels of responsibility they should gain as much of a universal perspective as possible. Or, as a minimum, at least publicly pretend they have it.

Not totally accurate. But par for the course.

I would really like to understand. In fact, I am struggling in general to equate what I read with what I see with my own eyes.

The FH program claims to have the same talent pool as other smaller schools while attributing its actual success to having the FH way.

It's like being stuck in Wayne's World.

Lag, "No way!"
FH, "Yes way!"

I am supposed to believe that Keyser was only beaten 59 - 0 because it wasn't woke to the way. And, if Allegany were fully woke it would have a loaded freshman team and 50 strappin' yutes on varsity.

Wow.. if you would spend less time trying to be coy and clever (which requires more trying) you'd realize that I was merely pointing out that Helmick isn't "guiding the program." He's not on payroll or staff, nor a coach. He finds available games, tells the head coach about them, and the head coach says yay or nay.

I've heard that FH has already made the decision not to play FCA next year. They are seeking MPSSAA member schools only.

Then again l have heard FH has told the MPSSAA that they will not transfer over the home playoff money until an MPSSAA school outside this county schedules them. That part I hope is true. They take the playoff money but don't afford FH member benefits. I'm smelling lawyers involved finally. But not from FH but from the county. MPSSAA took over 6 figures the last 4 years.

Last edited:
Wow.. if you would spend less time trying to be coy and clever (which requires more trying) you'd realize that I was merely pointing out that Helmick isn't "guiding the program." He's not on payroll or staff, nor a coach. He finds available games, tells the head coach about them, and the head coach says yay or nay.

So, that's your translation of:

"Not totally accurate. But par for the course,"

which is your attempt at being "coy and clever."

Quite frankly, guiding is the proper term. I'll stick with it. If Helmick submits a game with his blessing, he is helping guide the program. If you think that Appel went after Helmick because Helmick gave him a list of games and Appel happened to pick FCA, then you aren't thinking much... or in your terms "requires more" thinking.

I've heard that FH has already made the decision not to play FCA next year. They are seeking MPSSAA member schools only.

Then again l have heard FH has told the MPSSAA that they will not transfer over the home playoff money until an MPSSAA school outside this county schedules them. That part I hope is true. They take the playoff money but don't afford FH member benefits. I'm smelling lawyers involved finally. But not from FH but from the county. MPSSAA took over 6 figures the last 4 years.

If they don't pay the MPSSAA money, they won't be part of the MPSSAA anymore. What benefits are Fort Hill being denied that others receive?

If they don't pay the MPSSAA money, they won't be part of the MPSSAA anymore. What benefits are Fort Hill being denied that others receive?

Ahhhhhh, look at the schedule and you tell me. Let me see, the MPSSAA took over 6 figures of money and FH doesn't get to play any MPSSAA schools. If the country club took that much of my money but won't let me play the course I'm suing for my money back or the right to play the course.

I'm sure FH can find a MPSSAA opponent or two here and there but for that much money they should be playing 8-9 MPSSAA member schools, not paying a fortune to bring 7-8 out of state/private teams here for a home game.

Ahhhhhh, look at the schedule and you tell me. Let me see, the MPSSAA took over 6 figures of money and FH doesn't get to play any MPSSAA schools. If the country club took that much of my money but won't let me play the course I'm suing for my money back or the right to play the course.

I'm sure FH can find a MPSSAA opponent or two here and there but for that much money they should be playing 8-9 MPSSAA member schools, not paying a fortune to bring 7-8 out of state/private teams here for a home game.
The schedule isnt part of the deal. How is the MPSSAA forcing your hand on who you have to play a benefit? Playing other schools in the MPSSAA has never been a benefit of being in it. For years and years, FH (and Allegany) chose to play half their schedule gainst West Virginia teams by playing in the CVAL. Should the MPSSAA have kicked them out for that?

And Fort Hill won't be making any playoff money if they aren't allowed to play playoff games.

Why do you think other members of the country club should be forced to play with you if they don't want to? Just because you golf alone doesn't mean others should be forced to play with you.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd

Again, what benefits aren't you getting from the MPSSAA that others are?

I answered your question. Doesnt matter if you dont like the answer. It could be a legal battle to get the playoff money. Lawyers and all that fun stuff. I dont even know if true.

As far as I'm concerned I could care less. The real schedule that matters starts in 2 more weeks. Time to separate the men from the boys.

I answered your question. Doesnt matter if you dont like the answer. It could be a legal battle to get the playoff money. Lawyers and all that fun stuff. I dont even know if true.
No you didn't. Actually, you told me to tell you. Just because you can't come up with an answer, doesn't mean I'm wrong. It means you don't have a point.

No you didn't. Actually, you told me to tell you. Just because you can't come up with an answer, doesn't mean I'm wrong. It means you don't have a point.

I gave you an answer. Don't care if you don't like it or agree with it.

As far as I'm concerned I could care less. The real schedule that matters starts in 2 more weeks. That's about the time you disappear until next season.

Reactions: everyones-an-expert
I gave you an answer. Don't care if you don't like it or agree with it.

As far as I'm concerned I could care less. The real schedule that matters starts in 2 more weeks. That's about the time you disappear until next season.
No, you didn't. You didn't say anything they give to every other school, but don't give to Fort Hill. Why complain if you don't have a point?

And why post if you could care less. Did you just want to cry for everyone on here to see?

No, you didn't. You didn't say anything they give to every other school, but don't give to Fort Hill. Why complain if you don't have a point?

And why post if you could care less. Did you just want to cry for everyone on here to see?

FH is not afforded the opportunity to play other MPSSAA schools in the system the MPSSAA has set up. In particular other 1A schools and even more important the same regional teams they compete for a playoff spot in. That's your answer why someone would sue when they are taking that much money. You don't have to agree. I would hire a lawyer if I was paying 6 figure dues.

"If they don't pay the MPSSAA money..."

Not to mention that Helmick expressed a desire in another thread to go to the BOE and get them to force any school who plays one team in the county to play all teams in the county.

Lay bare the Appel core.

FH is not afforded the opportunity to play other MPSSAA schools in the system the MPSSAA has set up. In particular other 1A schools and even more important the same regional teams they compete for a playoff spot in. That's your answer why someone would sue when they are taking that much money. You don't have to agree. I would hire a lawyer if I was paying 6 figure dues.
The MPSSAA doesn't have that set up in its system.
No teams are forced to play other teams in their region or class. When FH was 2A, how many other 2A west schools did they play?
You think you can sue because you agree to be part of something, and it's not giving you benefits it doesn't give any other school? You'll lose that case.

Reactions: Lagmeister
The MPSSAA doesn't have that set up in its system.
No teams are forced to play other teams in their region or class. When FH was 2A, how many other 2A west schools did they play?
You think you can sue because you agree to be part of something, and it's not giving you benefits it doesn't give any other school? You'll lose that case.

Isn't the lose-a-game-get-a-lawyer thing more than a little unseemly - notwithstanding the championships and the winning streaks.

Isn't the lose-a-game-get-a-lawyer thing more than a little unseemly - notwithstanding the championships and the winning streaks.

What's funny (funny sad) is that he's asking for preferential treatment from the MPSSAA for Fort Hill. If FH don't get it he thinks they should sue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT