ADVERTISEMENT

JV Battle of the unbeatens at Greenway tonight

In related news, Patrick Day (who was in a coma for four days following a knock out punch last week) died today. He is the third boxer to die after a professional fight this year. Not saying that has anything to do with football, but nonetheless, one more head-scratcher when it comes to the safety and health of professional athletes in the realm of brain injuries. I still dont understand the fervor and love of boxing, or any sport where the goal is to beat the living shit out of each other.

Yeah, we wouldn't say coal miners dont deserve to be compensated if they are hurt. We take care of police and military if they get hurt in the line if work, and they know full-well the risks of the job. Hell, we take care of police and military for life, even when they arent hurt.

Why should a football player expect anything less?

This is too far of a stretch. Police and military protect, defend, and serve the populous. Often, their families suffer as a result of their call to duty. We all should be grateful there are those willing to accept the challenge, especially at a time when there's so little respect for law enforcement. They don't belong in this conversation...one gets injured catching a pass, the other saving your ass

This is too far of a stretch. Police and military protect, defend, and serve the populous. Often, their families suffer as a result of their call to duty. We all should be grateful there are those willing to accept the challenge, especially at a time when there's so little respect for law enforcement. They don't belong in this conversation...one gets injured catching a pass, the other saving your ass

I dont think the comparison is that their jobs are equal, which I dont think anyone believes that to be the case. At least the way I look at it, there is STILL a reasonable expectation that safety is considered. We dont send law enforcement out with sidearms that dont work or vests that arent tested, etc.

No one on here would insinuate that a football player is providing a public service at the potential expense of their life; on the other hand, in ANY job - whether you make a million dollars a year to play a game, or a modest salary protecting the public, or minimum wage as a manual laborer - you absolutely have a reasonable expectation that your job is as safe as possible. I think the comparison is valid, from the angle that ANY employee should be protected as much as possible at their job. Some jobs have higher risks, and those jobs should have more safety precautions.

Reactions: OneRing
They know exactly what the risk is though. That's the argument. Football is dangerous, so is joining the military. And there hasn't been an American military member die saving my ass in 75 years, maybe longer.

I dont think the comparison is that their jobs are equal, which I dont think anyone believes that to be the case. At least the way I look at it, there is STILL a reasonable expectation that safety is considered. We dont send law enforcement out with sidearms that dont work or vests that arent tested, etc.

No one on here would insinuate that a football player is providing a public service at the potential expense of their life; on the other hand, in ANY job - whether you make a million dollars a year to play a game, or a modest salary protecting the public, or minimum wage as a manual laborer - you absolutely have a reasonable expectation that your job is as safe as possible. I think the comparison is valid, from the angle that ANY employee should be protected as much as possible at their job. Some jobs have higher risks, and those jobs should have more safety precautions.

While I respect the time you took to unnecessarily support the comments made by OneRing, all I can think is "Over the top we go!" Haha. I quoted and replied to a single post. A post that I believe flippantly marginalizes the debt "we" owe our injured or healthy and retired first responders and service members. To be clear, I'm not a first responder and I didn't serve, but they have my utmost respect.

While I respect the time you took to unnecessarily support the comments made by OneRing, all I can think is "Over the top we go!" Haha. I quoted and replied to a single post. A post that I believe flippantly marginalizes the debt "we" owe our injured or healthy and retired first responders and service members. To be clear, I'm not a first responder and I didn't serve, but they have my utmost respect.

I didn't see a quote. But ORing's sarcasm aside, I stand by my assertion that any employee (LEO or football player) has a reasonable expectation to feel their employer (the PD or NFL) has taken all necessary precautions to assure their rules and policies are in place to protect them to the fullest while performing said job. I really don't see how that is a controversial opinion. Just because the jobs are of different risks and servitude does not mean there is less reason for safety. An LEO's well-being is not more important than an NFL'ers well being which is not more important than a cashier's well being which is not more important than a construction worker's well being. They all have to believe their job is as safe as possible.

Last edited:
I didn't see a quote. But ORing's sarcasm aside, I stand by my assertion that any employee (LEO or football player) has a reasonable expectation to feel their employer (the PD or NFL) has taken all necessary precautions to assure their rules and policies are in place to protect them to the fullest while performing said job. I really don't see how that is a controversial opinion. Just because the jobs are of different risks and servitude does not mean there is less reason for safety. An LEO's well-being is not more important than an NFL'ers well being which is not more important than a cashier's well being which is not more important than a construction worker's well being. They all have to believe their job is as safe as possible.

I'm not disagreeing with your perspective on safety. In full disclosure, and I wouldn't believe this if I were you, but I was the keynote speaker at an industrial safety conference in Fort Worth this past Wednesday. No joke. Personally, for me, I didn't like the use of police or our military as the example. I really didn't like the comment about taking care of them even when they aren't injured...I interpreted that as a low blow.

I'm not disagreeing with your perspective on safety. In full disclosure, and I wouldn't believe this if I were you, but I was the keynote speaker at an industrial safety conference in Fort Worth this past Wednesday. No joke. Personally, for me, I didn't like the use of police or our military as the example. I really didn't like the comment about taking care of them even when they aren't injured...I interpreted that as a low blow.
It's just the truth. A secretary in the military works 20 years and gets lifetime healthcare. Why should athletes expect less? Younhave to put your politics aside every once in a while and use reason.

It's just the truth. A secretary in the military works 20 years and gets lifetime healthcare. Why should athletes expect less? Younhave to put your politics aside every once in a while and use reason.
The Secretary works for The Government and Doesn't Make Millions of Dollars...
Football Players get Millions of dollars a Year, they should be able to pay for their own insurance.
they get insurance while they play and 5 years after they retire, isn't that enough?? I mean I do feel bad for the guys of the 70-80's because they didn't make that kind of money but now the NFL Avg Salary 2.1 Million Per Year with the Minimum $480,000 for a rookie. there's also guys making 30-40 Million Per Year.
No Other Job Makes This Kind of Money. Anyone that makes the minimum $480K Per Year Should be able to Pay for insurance when they are done football.

Reactions: RedPride97
The Secretary works for The Government and Doesn't Make Millions of Dollars...
Football Players get Millions of dollars a Year, they should be able to pay for their own insurance.
they get insurance while they play and 5 years after they retire, isn't that enough?? I mean I do feel bad for the guys of the 70-80's because they didn't make that kind of money but now the NFL Avg Salary 2.1 Million Per Year with the Minimum $480,000 for a rookie. there's also guys making 30-40 Million Per Year.
No Other Job Makes This Kind of Money. Anyone that makes the minimum $480K Per Year Should be able to Pay for insurance when they are done football.
The secretary makes no money for the government. Football players make billions every year for their employers.
The secretary gets free food, housing, clothing and education... isnt that enough? And you and I pay for all of that. We dont pay for anything for the players.

The secretary makes no money for the government. Football players make billions every year for their employers.
The secretary gets free food, housing, clothing and education... isnt that enough? And you and I pay for all of that. We dont pay for anything for the players.
Exactly We Pay for it With Taxes and Have No Choice in it but NFL Owners Pay The Football Players Millions and Should Never Be Made to Pay for The After That, they are on contracts and should be treated just like Contractors in other fields.
Honestly, I'm far Right and don't believe others should have to pay for everyone else the same as I feel You should be able to Hire and Fire anyone You want and Pay them what You Want, they have the right to go elsewhere to work if they don't like what you give them.
I Believe everyone should have the right to purchase Healthcare not FREE Healthcare

Exactly We Pay for it With Taxes and Have No Choice in it but NFL Owners Pay The Football Players Millions and Should Never Be Made to Pay for The After That, they are on contracts and should be treated just like Contractors in other fields.
Honestly, I'm far Right and don't believe others should have to pay for everyone else the same as I feel You should be able to Hire and Fire anyone You want and Pay them what You Want, they have the right to go elsewhere to work if they don't like what you give them.
I Believe everyone should have the right to purchase Healthcare not FREE Healthcare
Of course we have a choice over where our tax money goes. We pay for everything during their time in the military and shouldn't have to pay for anything after that. If you want to continue paying for people's healthcare after they stop working for the government, donate to the cause. Working for the government doesn't make you a higher class of citizen, deserving of things private sector workers aren't. They aren't entitled to free healthcare. I thought the right hated government entitlements?

I don't think the Dream Machine had ski ball did it? I was real good at the Burger Time video there. People would gather round to watch me sprinkle pepper on the pickle chasing me.

Oh yeah. We had ski ball. I counted more tickets than I care to recollect. LOL

Of course we have a choice over where our tax money goes. We pay for everything during their time in the military and shouldn't have to pay for anything after that. If you want to continue paying for people's healthcare after they stop working for the government, donate to the cause. Working for the government doesn't make you a higher class of citizen, deserving of things private sector workers aren't. They aren't entitled to free healthcare. I thought the right hated government entitlements?

The healthcare is not free.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
Free (adverb): without cost or payment.

They make no payment for it, hence its free for them.

Who are they? It's not clear of whom you speak specifically. A lot of different situations of which your simple argument rings somewhat hollow. Seek the truth for once.

Who are they? It's not clear of whom you speak specifically. A lot of different situations of which your simple argument rings somewhat hollow. Seek the truth for once.
Its very clear if you actually read the posts, but nobody expects you to start doing that. You'll just keep making uniformed and assuming posts.

Its very clear if you actually read the posts, but nobody expects you to start doing that. You'll just keep making uniformed and assuming posts.

As a veteran and retiree I do not get free healthcare. I know more about my situation than you do. So the question stands "who are these mysterious people getting things free you refer to?" Do you know someone personally? And I'm saying no more on the topic. Back to football.

Last edited:
As a veteran and retiree I do not get free healthcare. I know more about my situation than you do. So the question stands "who are these mysterious people getting things free you refer to?" Do you know someone personally? And I'm saying no more on the topic. Back to football.
You just exposed yourself as a liar. As a veteran, I know that all military retirees can get the same insurance as active duty, so my response still stands, "Its very clear if you actually read the posts." I have a grandmother in here 90s who still uses my grandfather's insurance. She pays nothing. Saying no more on the topic is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Last edited:
You just exposed yourself as a liar. As a veteran, I know that all military retirees can get the same insurance as active duty, so my response still stands, "Its very clear if you actually read the posts." I have a grandmother in here 90s who still uses my grandfather's insurance. She pays nothing. Saying no more on the topic is the best thing you can do for yourself.
I have three relatives getting "free" healthcare under the situations you talk about, don't know how or why this is confusing to anyone.

Reactions: OneRing
I have three relatives getting "free" healthcare under the situations you talk about, don't know how or why this is confusing to anyone.
Yeah, I thought it was fairly well-known too. Its political. Using facts isnt as important as acting like you are right on the internet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT