ADVERTISEMENT

JV Battle of the unbeatens at Greenway tonight

When a JV football discussion turns into a JV display of intellect. #bushleaguers
This is like watching George Michael fans slap box at the Dream Machine after bragging about how many tickets they won playing ski ball.

I don't think the Dream Machine had ski ball did it? I was real good at the Burger Time video there. People would gather round to watch me sprinkle pepper on the pickle chasing me.

I don't think the Dream Machine had ski ball did it? I was real good at the Burger Time video there. People would gather round to watch me sprinkle pepper on the pickle chasing me.

Ski ball showed up about the time Corner Tavern stopped carding, Hickory Farms stopped selling summer sausage, and they stopped selling cookie cakes on the opposite corner

Ski ball showed up about the time Corner Tavern stopped carding, Hickory Farms stopped selling summer sausage, and they stopped selling cookie cakes on the opposite corner

You're killing me man. I forgot about the cookie cake place. But I never forget Hickory Farms rolled processed cheese logs. Hot item on every family Christmas party buffet. But I'm man enough to admit I was a Chess King dude. I just bought a new pair of red & white checkered Vans this summer. I might wear them to the Southern game Friday night.

The only thing missing in this thread is Lag telling us we are just just red-clad jacket circle jerking. LOL. Hope he is alright.

And FYI, Rose's Department Store is a larger size Dollar type store that also sells clothing and is located in the former Gee Bee's building which later became Value City I believe. I buy my name brand motor oil in there dirt cheap. But the clientele there makes Walmart look like high society. Apparently BrianH still buys his shorts there.

686efabb67c3f4985116fb5c7436dbb4--vintage-prints-back-to-school.jpg

His shoes too, Todd.. lol

Also, didn't want my previous post to you about Possibility #6 to come across as a dickslap to you, was just bringing it up for fun in general. You're one of the most, if not the most logical and well-intentioned posters on the board, and always have been.

Reactions: TDHelmick
You can't even copy and paste correctly. Read #1 again. I can't keep repeating it so you can comprehend what it says. Where did I say you called out an official?

Correct, the definition of HYPOCRITE is not you ranting. It's you having zero to say when a FH official is accused of cheating.

You actually did rag on parents who volunteer their time such as myself. Or were you being obtuse? Yea, it is rewarding to sell no-bake cookies and Joe Corbi pizzas. Dont poke at those people as if they are not worthy of your great contribution.

I dont give a damn what you pretend to have doNE in college. I coached for 5 years at a top level private school and got paid for it.

You think you can get soup here? Please, you are wasting everyone's time. NEXT!

Soup?

A line drop from Shawshank Redemption?

The fundamental issue with our entire exchange here is that you believe that Danny Bauer, a more accomplished player in area history than both you and I combined (you're welcome again) intentionally blew a whistle to cheat Fort Hill.

You've expanded it into a lot of other things here, but it's really no more complicated than that.

Congratulations are in order again for getting gas money to fill up water bottles and shag punts in pre-game for your self proclaimed top-level prep school. That experience will hopefully serve your kids well.

**sorry.. had to actually edit my post here, which I know you love to do... anyway, just a quick reminder, not sure if you're aware that Danny King has been FH's starting QB all season. You're a high-level prep school coach though, so I'm sure you knew he would be months before everyone else.

a) Dream Machine definitely had skeeball. and b) I was a cookie cake decorator for a few years at both cookie places (yes there were two). And the original Great American Cookie Company double doozies are still available in other malls (Morgantown and Columbia Mall).

I swear there was crack in the filling, good lawd.

Soup?

A line drop from Shawshank Redemption?

The fundamental issue with our entire exchange here is that you believe that Danny Bauer, a more accomplished player in area history than both you and I combined (you're welcome again) intentionally blew a whistle to cheat Fort Hill.

You've expanded it into a lot of other things here, but it's really no more complicated than that.

Congratulations are in order again for getting gas money to fill up water bottles and shag punts in pre-game for your self proclaimed top-level prep school. That experience will hopefully serve your kids well.

**sorry.. had to actually edit my post here, which I know you love to do... anyway, just a quick reminder, not sure if you're aware that Danny King has been FH's starting QB all season. You're a high-level prep school coach though, so I'm sure you knew he would be months before everyone else.

At least you're not still calling everyone a crybaby little girl 10 times so it's good to know growth is possible.

But back to the topic here, Bauer just blew a whistle for no reason on the biggest play from the complete opposite side of the field. Bad calls are one thing, just blowing your whistle in the middle of a 4th down game changer is another. If it wasn't intentional then it was one of the worst brain farts seen here in a while all without explanation as Todd has pointed out. Everyone knows it without me having to bring it up. I can imagine the conversation on the field, "hey coach we need to cancel the touchdown and let Ridge run that 4th down play over again. One of the officials blew his whistle as the kid was getting tackled behind the line. Well why did he blow the whistle? He doesn't know why. But it wasn't his call on the other side. Yea we know.

Reactions: Tony54
At least you're not still calling everyone a crybaby little girl 10 times so it's good to know growth is possible.

But back to the topic here, Bauer just blew a whistle for no reason on the biggest play from the complete opposite side of the field. Bad calls are one thing, just blowing your whistle in the middle of a 4th down game changer is another. If it wasn't intentional then it was one of the worst brain farts seen here in a while all without explanation as Todd has pointed out. Everyone knows it without me having to bring it up. I can imagine the conversation on the field, "hey coach we need to cancel the touchdown and let Ridge run that 4th down play over again. One of the officials blew his whistle as the kid was getting tackled behind the line. Well why did he blow the whistle? He doesn't know why. But it wasn't his call on the other side. Yea we know.
But you're still CryinH about a referee's call during a JV game. Which as someone pointed out gives you a JV level intellect. He was just being nice, he knows its more pee wee level for you. You know, the last level of football you actually played.

I talk to Bauer last night (while he was greasing the FH steps to the stadium). He actually told me he did just to see if any FH bitches would cry for the rest of the week over a call in a Jayvee game. You've actually proven him right here. Next he told me he was adding icy hot to all the FH jock straps, but he knew he'd have to sneak interrupt you sniffing them all week. So who knows how he's looking to sabotage FH next? Maybe turn there Pepsi into Coke? The monster!

By the way, if you want rent for Allegany living in your head 24/7 you should ask the city for some help?

The only thing missing in this thread is Lag telling us we are just just red-clad jacket circle jerking. LOL. Hope he is alright.

And FYI, Rose's Department Store is a larger size Dollar type store that also sells clothing and is located in the former Gee Bee's building which later became Value City I believe. I buy my name brand motor oil in there dirt cheap. But the clientele there makes Walmart look like high society. Apparently BrianH still buys his shorts there.

686efabb67c3f4985116fb5c7436dbb4--vintage-prints-back-to-school.jpg

I've seen those cut off football pants you still wear at the park pool in the summer Helmick.

Then there are others: I played college football and donated a check.

3z086xs5cg0z.jpg

Let those who have never worn daisy dukes back in the day to be the first one to cast the stone.

This is way too much time on her hands. We need a football game to happen

a) Dream Machine definitely had skeeball. and b) I was a cookie cake decorator for a few years at both cookie places (yes there were two). And the original Great American Cookie Company double doozies are still available in other malls (Morgantown and Columbia Mall).

I swear there was crack in the filling, good lawd.
When I was a kid I hated the taste of those cookie cakes (not a big chocolate chip guy), but was so overcome by the sheer brilliance of making a cake out of a cookie that I was always asking for one.

When I was a kid I hated the taste of those cookie cakes (not a big chocolate chip guy), but was so overcome by the sheer brilliance of making a cake out of a cookie that I was always asking for one.

They were a bit much, but adding a dollop of vanilla seemed to balance things out

That wasn't everyone, CoachBrian.. it was just you. And a year or so later, here we are again.

You started to make a little sense above, because, again, the fundamental issue seems to be that you think Danny did it on purpose because he hates FH. If the guy screwed up, then he needs to learn from it and move on or better yet, go back to youth league and brush up on his skills. But saying he did it because he hates FH is just playing the decades-old FH hates Alco and vice-versa card. FH and Alco aren't even close to the same level of program right now, so what's the point of that?

*good stuff on the photo credit below. And again, you're welcome.

Thanks we all get it now. Its ok for you to ignore posters spouting off about FH refs cheating for FH but speaking up several times while defending Alco grads who are accused of the same. You should have joined in on the bet Boyz made about FH refs cheating for FH and counting penalties. Or maybe WeHave8 glued to the radio counting penalties.

Or maybe you can continue to encourage Lag to dismiss 1A accomplishments.

Or maybe you troll just my posts. I dunno nor do I care. Enjoy.

But you are correct, it would be best for Danny to stick with youth league to brush up on his skills and FH and Alco aren't even close to the same level of program. I don't really care much about that either. It's been that way far too long to remember.

Thanks we all get it now. Its ok for you to ignore posters spouting off about FH refs cheating for FH but speaking up several times while defending Alco grads who are accused of the same. You should have joined in on the bet Boyz made about FH refs cheating for FH and counting penalties. Or maybe WeHave8 glued to the radio counting penalties.

Or maybe you can continue to encourage Lag to dismiss 1A accomplishments.

Or maybe you troll just my posts. I dunno nor do I care. Enjoy.

But you are correct, it would be best for Danny to stick with youth league to brush up on his skills and FH and Alco aren't even close to the same level of program. I don't really care much about that either. It's been that way far too long to remember.

Actually I've never spoken up about either side, because thankfully, it doesn't seem to be a real issue. Maybe I've missed all those posts, but it's a completely wasted effort to complain about, especially when it comes to cross-town rival motives. Unless there's an instance I don't know about, which is is certainly possible, I can't remember a time where a big deal was made out of a FH grad like Josh Grove or anyone else making an intentionally bad call against Alco. So either I missed it, or it hasn't really happened. That's why I'd be equally as surprised if Danny had the motive you stated.

My guess, and maybe I'm wrong, is that someone like Danny is fine with how things went for him as a player years ago, and is just getting involved because he likes football and wants to be a part of it.

But saying you don't care about about the variance in FH and Alco?? You talk about it all the time. No one on the board is dumb enough to believe you on that one.

I'm going to say one last thing on this topic after watching the Detroit Lions get screwed royally three times by the highest paid refs in any sport.

Refs are human. They make plenty of mistakes on the field every single game. That is acceptable. What I don't accept is the mentality that an official should control the game. In other words, I believe refs should rarely ever make a call or throw the flag. Just spot the damn ball and that is it. Yea, call offsides, too many men on the field, delay of game and obvious type of things like facemasks...but as for holding (the worst of them all), pass interference, crack back blocks, block in the back, hands to the face, late hits, roughing the passer, etc., let it go. Rarely ever call those things unless it has a MASSIVE bearing on the play.

A good ref is rarely ever seen or heard. This is a game about the players, for the players. And yet I get the feeling that if 100 refs were interviewed and studied, that 90 of them have a huge personality flaw where they feel the need to control something or have a desperate need for power. Personally, I don't know why any human would want to officiate based on the load that comes with it other than to feed their need to be the big man on the field making decisions that cannot be questioned. It's a power trip. I know this sounds harsh, but that is what I see at every level. This should never be about you.

Unfortunately, the other side of it is the wussification of America. The concussion scare has forced officiating into a corner with everything. I believe in safety, but I don't believe in officiating with one hand on the flag and the other on the whistle where every play is a penalty waiting to happen. And that is what we have today, especially at the NFL level. It is so, so, so bad.

After the 15 yarder in the second qtr where walker for Detroit went for the ball and went helmet to helmet I turned it off. I don’t want to watch after things like that happen because drives continue and teams score and the game is no longer controlled by the players. The rules and refs control the outcome on a weekly basis.

I'm going to say one last thing on this topic after watching the Detroit Lions get screwed royally three times by the highest paid refs in any sport.

Refs are human. They make plenty of mistakes on the field every single game. That is acceptable. What I don't accept is the mentality that an official should control the game. In other words, I believe refs should rarely ever make a call or throw the flag. Just spot the damn ball and that is it. Yea, call offsides, too many men on the field, delay of game and obvious type of things like facemasks...but as for holding (the worst of them all), pass interference, crack back blocks, block in the back, hands to the face, late hits, roughing the passer, etc., let it go. Rarely ever call those things unless it has a MASSIVE bearing on the play.

A good ref is rarely ever seen or heard. This is a game about the players, for the players. And yet I get the feeling that if 100 refs were interviewed and studied, that 90 of them have a huge personality flaw where they feel the need to control something or have a desperate need for power. Personally, I don't know why any human would want to officiate based on the load that comes with it other than to feed their need to be the big man on the field making decisions that cannot be questioned. It's a power trip. I know this sounds harsh, but that is what I see at every level. This should never be about you.

Unfortunately, the other side of it is the wussification of America. The concussion scare has forced officiating into a corner with everything. I believe in safety, but I don't believe in officiating with one hand on the flag and the other on the whistle where every play is a penalty waiting to happen. And that is what we have today, especially at the NFL level. It is so, so, so bad.
It really is a thankless job. If you are right, you are just doing your job. If you're wrong, everybody hates you.

I would have to see the replay again, but I do think on the last Lions' hands to the face penalty they did show where it looked like his hand might have been on the neck, which would also draw the flag. But I agree its getting nuts. The flow of the game is ruined. Between that and replays it's worse than baseball (which btw should be all AI when it comes to umpires).

Offenses are running plays trying to draw defensive flags... not actually gain yards on the play, but get the penalty. Automatic first downs for some of the penalties are ridiculous. It's so easy to draw a flag that it's almost stupid to run the ball inside the five. Just throw and if its incomplete you'll get a flag and a fresh new set of downs.

After the 15 yarder in the second qtr where walker for Detroit went for the ball and went helmet to helmet I turned it off. I don’t want to watch after things like that happen because drives continue and teams score and the game is no longer controlled by the players. The rules and refs control the outcome on a weekly basis.
Like they said during the game, how else are you supposed to play the ball there?

I go back and forth on this whole safety issue. As someone who worked with individuals with acquired brain injuries for almost 2 decades, I saw first hand what can happen from unchecked or incorrectly used safety precautions. Accidents are one thing; falling from a height, being involved in a vehicle accident, etc...Incorrect harnessing, not having restraints or not using them correctly....in an otherwise safe situation that suddenly becomes unsafe. All of us take the same risk driving a car or climbing a ladder e.g.

But, there are certain professions where, although it's not *expected*, it is a real possibility that a certain injury can happen. Sports, law enforcement, aviation, etc...when you do things with higher risks, the negative results are, obviously, a much higher likelihood. After watching a clip from a boxing match the other day where a fighter was literally knocked into a coma, and is currently in critical condition, I'm baffled at how certain sports move away from such scrutiny (from the participants, anyway)...I mean, a lot of people think boxing and other pugelist sports are barbaric and shouldnt even be "sport"...thats not an argument for here. You cant tell someone to not hit someone too hard, when the entire task is to literally knock them out (iow, the GOAL of boxing is to cause a concussion).

The goal of football is NOT (contrary to popular belief) to knock the other guy out. Its to tackle him. Period. So while I totally agree that the call against Walker was complete junk and should have been reviewed, I can't say that I have a problem with calling a personal foul on almost any hit where the defender goes high on the ball carrier (though thats not what Walker did by any stretch). For instance, I saw alot of people, regardless of team affiliation, claiming they thought the penalized hit that concussed Mason Rudolph the other week was a bad call. No, it wasn't. When you're trying to TACKLE someone, you want to get low on the body, take away the legs, be a lower center of gravity than the other guy. Regardless of how insignificant the hit seemed, the issue was that it was a HIT. Not a tackle. "Wow what a HIT," - not "wow, what a really good tackle." - Earl Thomas did not tackle Mason Rudolph, he hit him. Thats a penalty. This was actually an excellent example of the rule being enforced correctly.

Look at rugby. A rough sport. Where tackling is again key. They wear minimal padding, if any. And some dont even wear scrum hats. Yet, they have an instance of only .5 more concussions per 1000 AE that American football. IOW, out of every 1000 times any rugby player plays a game or practices there are 3 instances of concussion. For every 1000 AE for American football its 2.5. How can that be so? Because watch rugby, its a game of close contact, scrums, form tackling and VERY few hits or sticks. Basically, rugby players are actually trying to tackle the ball carrier, American footballers are trying to hit them.

I agree that the game happens fast, and I agree I wouldn't want to be a ref trying to keep up with the pace. The baloney hands to the face calls against Trey Flowers were flat out horrible calls. The call on Walker was a bad call, but understandably flagged at first...but should have been reviewed. In fact, the ONE call that Detroit actually COULD have reviewed, the non pass interference call to Marvin Jones, was inexplicably left unchallenged.

But back to the issue on safety, the problem is not solely on the refs for throwing too many flags, its for way too many players going for the hit, going for the knockout punch. The fans want to see it. The players like to celebrate it. But the refs are going to penalize it. And rightfully so. Stop trying to knock the other guy out...and become a boxer if thats your goal.

This is accurate in pretty much every single way. I actually don't see how or why people even sign up to be refs anymore. Someone said it earlier, it's completely thankless if you're really good at it, but if you mess up, you get completely gutted. I actually sat next to an ACC ref a few weeks ago on a flight from Miami, and I asked him if he deals with any backlash from fans. He said of course, all the time, but he's alright with it because it's just his side gig, and it paid for his kids freshman year of college last year.

On the other hand, at the D1 and NFL levels in college with over a dozen camera angles, you're right that a lot of the time the ref shouldn't even make the final call. A lot of those big calls should come from up in the booth.. and they need to have replay guys up there that don't look like the two dudes in the balcony at the start of the Muppet Show. Great example is last years Rams/Saints playoff game. Incredibly stupid.

This is accurate in pretty much every single way. I actually don't see how or why people even sign up to be refs anymore. Someone said it earlier, it's completely thankless if you're really good at it, but if you mess up, you get completely gutted. I actually sat next to an ACC ref a few weeks ago on a flight from Miami, and I asked him if he deals with any backlash from fans. He said of course, all the time, but he's alright with it because it's just his side gig, and it paid for his kids freshman year of college last year.

On the other hand, at the D1 and NFL levels in college with over a dozen camera angles, you're right that a lot of the time the ref shouldn't even make the final call. A lot of those big calls should come from up in the booth.. and they need to have replay guys up there that don't look like the two dudes in the balcony at the start of the Muppet Show. Great example is last years Rams/Saints playoff game. Incredibly stupid.
Statler and Waldorf... two of my personal heroes

Reactions: ConeyIsland

And to quote those old guys in the Muppets Show balcony about how I feel towards the NFL...and how I feel about this forum sometimes...
Why do we always come here?
I guess we'll never know.
It's kind of like a torture.
To have to watch this show.

I go back and forth on this whole safety issue. As someone who worked with individuals with acquired brain injuries for almost 2 decades, I saw first hand what can happen from unchecked or incorrectly used safety precautions. Accidents are one thing; falling from a height, being involved in a vehicle accident, etc...Incorrect harnessing, not having restraints or not using them correctly....in an otherwise safe situation that suddenly becomes unsafe. All of us take the same risk driving a car or climbing a ladder e.g.

But, there are certain professions where, although it's not *expected*, it is a real possibility that a certain injury can happen. Sports, law enforcement, aviation, etc...when you do things with higher risks, the negative results are, obviously, a much higher likelihood. After watching a clip from a boxing match the other day where a fighter was literally knocked into a coma, and is currently in critical condition, I'm baffled at how certain sports move away from such scrutiny (from the participants, anyway)...I mean, a lot of people think boxing and other pugelist sports are barbaric and shouldnt even be "sport"...thats not an argument for here. You cant tell someone to not hit someone too hard, when the entire task is to literally knock them out (iow, the GOAL of boxing is to cause a concussion).

The goal of football is NOT (contrary to popular belief) to knock the other guy out. Its to tackle him. Period. So while I totally agree that the call against Walker was complete junk and should have been reviewed, I can't say that I have a problem with calling a personal foul on almost any hit where the defender goes high on the ball carrier (though thats not what Walker did by any stretch). For instance, I saw alot of people, regardless of team affiliation, claiming they thought the penalized hit that concussed Mason Rudolph the other week was a bad call. No, it wasn't. When you're trying to TACKLE someone, you want to get low on the body, take away the legs, be a lower center of gravity than the other guy. Regardless of how insignificant the hit seemed, the issue was that it was a HIT. Not a tackle. "Wow what a HIT," - not "wow, what a really good tackle." - Earl Thomas did not tackle Mason Rudolph, he hit him. Thats a penalty. This was actually an excellent example of the rule being enforced correctly.

Look at rugby. A rough sport. Where tackling is again key. They wear minimal padding, if any. And some dont even wear scrum hats. Yet, they have an instance of only .5 more concussions per 1000 AE that American football. IOW, out of every 1000 times any rugby player plays a game or practices there are 3 instances of concussion. For every 1000 AE for American football its 2.5. How can that be so? Because watch rugby, its a game of close contact, scrums, form tackling and VERY few hits or sticks. Basically, rugby players are actually trying to tackle the ball carrier, American footballers are trying to hit them.

I agree that the game happens fast, and I agree I wouldn't want to be a ref trying to keep up with the pace. The baloney hands to the face calls against Trey Flowers were flat out horrible calls. The call on Walker was a bad call, but understandably flagged at first...but should have been reviewed. In fact, the ONE call that Detroit actually COULD have reviewed, the non pass interference call to Marvin Jones, was inexplicably left unchallenged.

But back to the issue on safety, the problem is not solely on the refs for throwing too many flags, its for way too many players going for the hit, going for the knockout punch. The fans want to see it. The players like to celebrate it. But the refs are going to penalize it. And rightfully so. Stop trying to knock the other guy out...and become a boxer if thats your goal.

I understand your points but it is going to far and impacting the quality of the game, especially the the college and professional levels.

The sandlot style passing game in all levels has caused an increased in devastating hits. Passing across the middle should be banned or penalized and/or QBs should be fined for hanging their guys out to dry. The receivers are going full speed and it is literally impossible for any human being of any athletic ability to adjust in a nano second to the movement of a just as fast wide receiver when one ducks his head or turns his body. I see DB’s making unbelievable effort to get their heads out of the way only for the WR to cause the head contact and then the defender still gets penalized. The rules are so sensitive that any contact slowing the WR’s down is penalized and this literally causes teams to lose games. The defenders are damned if they do or don’t.

And going low is not safe. The defenders are risking knees to the head. I have experienced more concussions in my 19 years of playing full contact organized football by going low then going high, whether that be tackling or blocking. I was ear-holed one time after my team threw a interception and it was the first time I ever heard the bees buzzing in my helmet. I felt no after effects of that blind side hit but I have tackled players and blocked players low that made me vomit.

A key in all this, we were all willing participants to the impact of the game. If it is a blatant head shot then yes, penalties, ejections, etc are fine but when the course of the game is affected by unavoidable contact and teams are penalized, it takes away from the integrity of the game. The NFL except in a few rare instances these days is nothing but glorified sandlot with super athletes. The game at times is nothing more than snap the ball, throw it to a WR that is wide open by 15 feet in all directions, if the WR drops it or the a defender picks it, there is a probably of a touch foul, OPI or if the defender is present a hard hit that will draw a flag even if it is not illegal, or the QB may be bumped causing a flag. The NFL and college at times is impossible to watch because it is so litigated.

I don't understand all the Penalties and crying over all of this head injury stuff. Okay so it can happen don't let your kids play football then.
In The NFL these guys know they can get seriously injured or Die but then after their careers are over the want to file lawsuits saying they didn't know the ramifications????/ like Really?
I knew from the age of 9 that I could get seriously injured or even die on the field and because it was in the news that it happened a few times when growing up but I still played the game, it's the chance you take.
Now they want to throw a flag when the guy swats at the QB's arm and accidentally touches him up high, then when the defender gets knocked down they grab the OB below the knees and pull him down and that's a Penalty. This same reasoning of not being sure how to tackle a QB is The Reason Running QB's put up so many Passing as well as Rushing Numbers. They run and nobody knows what to do can they or can't they hit them?? last second they drop and slide and you come in to hit them drop low and Boom 15 Yards Because You hit The Guy that dropped down after getting all he could get full speed and you're supposed to be able to completely Stop.
Defenseless Receiver is The Dumbest thing EVER......
Sometimes I wonder Who came Up With some of this stuff and picture a bunch or nerds sitting around the table playing dungeons & dragons or Fantasy Football.

The Defender in the Lions Game that went low for the ball and got called for a penalty was a Joke.
I had no problem with the other calls on the defender in that game.

Reactions: LinemenWinGames
Do all of you agree that it is your choice, and if you choose to play and get hurt, it's nobodies fault but your own? Should there be no suing or asking for compensation from any institution/team/organization? I ask because when I hear all of the precautions that owners are trying to put in place and players are constantly rejecting or complaining about it, I feel like that is their right. However, once the harsh realities set in and there's medically determined consequences then these same players put their hand out and expect, and get, hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation. What is the answer? Should they all have to sign a waiver agreeing that they understand what could happen and they won't sue anybody if it does?

Do all of you agree that it is your choice, and if you choose to play and get hurt, it's nobodies fault but your own? Should there be no suing or asking for compensation from any institution/team/organization? I ask because when I hear all of the precautions that owners are trying to put in place and players are constantly rejecting or complaining about it, I feel like that is their right. However, once the harsh realities set in and there's medically determined consequences then these same players put their hand out and expect, and get, hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation. What is the answer? Should they all have to sign a waiver agreeing that they understand what could happen and they won't sue anybody if it does?
Yes it should be in all NFL Contracts You Make a Good Living Playing a reckless game and you are putting your body in harms way. You could be injured or killed so You are Playing at Your Own Risk!!
We don't see Boxers, UFC Fighters or Nascar drivers suing when they get injured. You know The Risk When You Decide to Play The Game. This is the Reason they get Paid Millions to Play a Game instead of Working a Normal Job!!

Reactions: TDHelmick
Head to head contact is one thing...pass interference, offensive/defensive holding, hands to the face, roughing the QB have nothing to do with head to head contact (outside of the occasion where the QB gets a roughing call). But most of the roughing the QB calls are bogus and have zero to do with concussion/head contact issues.

I guess my point is that I'm ok with protecting against concussions and head-to-head contact. My problem is that the NFL went extremely overboard with it all. The calls that drive us nuts have nothing to do with safety. Not even the hands to the face...and I have no problem with that penalty either. But the refs in the Lions Monday Night Game had no business calling hands to the face. They are just persuaded to flag every little thing they see. Very frustrating watching this as a fan.

Yes it should be in all NFL Contracts You Make a Good Living Playing a reckless game and you are putting your body in harms way. You could be injured or killed so You are Playing at Your Own Risk!!
We don't see Boxers, UFC Fighters or Nascar drivers suing when they get injured. You know The Risk When You Decide to Play The Game. This is the Reason they get Paid Millions to Play a Game instead of Working a Normal Job!!

It's like watching a person hit his head doing a back flip off the diving board and then suing the city for having a diving board. In today's snowflake world people cannot be responsible for their own actions.

I totally agree that if you play football, you understand that there is a possibility that you can get hurt. I also believe that if you play football, you have a reasonable expectation that the rules and safety precautions in place will minimize that chance drastically. I know I could get in a wreck in my car anytime I drive it - I wear my seatbelt to minimize the damage to myself. I have a reasonable expectation that other drivers are heeding the speed limit and not driving while impaired as well. Rules and safety precautions.

It's like watching a person hit his head doing a back flip off the diving board and then suing the city for having a diving board. In today's snowflake world people cannot be responsible for their own actions.

Football players aren't hitting themselves in the head, they are getting hit. And while I agree some hits are legit and incidental helmet to helmet contact happens and cant be avoided, as a rule of thumb, helmet to helmet contact is illegal. And if I get a concussion because you illegally hit me, then that's not me simply shirking responsibility for my own actions.

By that token, if you're driving your car and you get hit by a drunk driver (someone acting illegally) then dont you dare sue anyone, because hey, you knew full well what could happen when you decided to drive that day. Doesnt fly in that context as well, does it?

The issue really is this, the pace of play is getting faster. Guys are getting stronger. And hits are getting harder. There needs to be a return to tackling, not hitting. There is no official NFL stat for "hits" or "knockouts"...so why go for that?

Reactions: OneRing
My problem with the NFL officiating is inconsistency. If you watched the Jets/Cowboys game the Jets defense coached by Gregg Williams (why is he even allowed in the league) was taking shot after shot at Prescott, and the refs only called I think one roughing penalty the entire game. I can't blame the Jets if they are doing what the refs allow them to do. No way would that same contact be allowed against Brady, Rodgers, etc.

My other issue is why is stiff arming still allowed? I understand it's been part of the game forever but it's not consistent. Even a glancing contact to the facemask of a lineman or QB in the pocket results in an automatic penalty. But a 230 lb RB can intentionally ram his hand into the defenders face and nothing happens?

My problem with the NFL officiating is inconsistency. If you watched the Jets/Cowboys game the Jets defense coached by Gregg Williams (why is he even allowed in the league) was taking shot after shot at Prescott, and the refs only called I think one roughing penalty the entire game. I can't blame the Jets if they are doing what the refs allow them to do. No way would that same contact be allowed against Brady, Rodgers, etc.

My other issue is why is stiff arming still allowed? I understand it's been part of the game forever but it's not consistent. Even a glancing contact to the facemask of a lineman or QB in the pocket results in an automatic penalty. But a 230 lb RB can intentionally ram his hand into the defenders face and nothing happens?

Complete inconsistency, agreed on that.

I totally agree that if you play football, you understand that there is a possibility that you can get hurt. I also believe that if you play football, you have a reasonable expectation that the rules and safety precautions in place will minimize that chance drastically. I know I could get in a wreck in my car anytime I drive it - I wear my seatbelt to minimize the damage to myself. I have a reasonable expectation that other drivers are heeding the speed limit and not driving while impaired as well. Rules and safety precautions.

Football players aren't hitting themselves in the head, they are getting hit. And while I agree some hits are legit and incidental helmet to helmet contact happens and cant be avoided, as a rule of thumb, helmet to helmet contact is illegal. And if I get a concussion because you illegally hit me, then that's not me simply shirking responsibility for my own actions.

By that token, if you're driving your car and you get hit by a drunk driver (someone acting illegally) then dont you dare sue anyone, because hey, you knew full well what could happen when you decided to drive that day. Doesnt fly in that context as well, does it?

The issue really is this, the pace of play is getting faster. Guys are getting stronger. And hits are getting harder. There needs to be a return to tackling, not hitting. There is no official NFL stat for "hits" or "knockouts"...so why go for that?

I am good with helmet-to-helmet rules and that it is called frequently. The other calls that drive us all nuts have zero to do with helmet-to-helmet.

I have tried to compare driving with football. There is risk and everyone accepts it. There are different circumstances with driving however. Drunk driving or hitting someone while texting is against the law and have consequences. But sliding on ice and going over the curb for example does not give anyone the right to sue the city because there was ice on the road. That may be a weird example but you can come up with many more. Accidents will happen and you know that going in. Doing flips off a diving board can be dangerous and you know that going in.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
While I understand the difference in severity and consequence between DUI's and playing football - accidents do happen. As I said, incidental, unintentional bad hits can happen. Thats the sliding in the ice and hitting someone incident. BUT even so...there are safety precautions put in place - roads are pre-treated, salt is put on roads, driving on bald tires vs good all-season tires with deep tread, adhering to emergency reports and requests to stay off the roads, if you are a nurse trying to get to work vs the guy who's just trying to get to Wal Mart because he's out of eggs, etc...I dont disagree that everything has consequences.But there is a reasonable expectation that those in charge of making the roads safe have adequately done their due diligence.

Driving is dangerous. Football is dangerous. But again, drunk driving is illegal to the world of driving. Hitting someone excessively is illegal in the NFL world (helmet to helmet or otherwise). So they both carry stiffer punitive results, because they extend beyond the reasonable expectation of safety in either instance. I think we're pretty much on the same page, we all agree that the inconsistency is very apparent.

I absolutely hate seeing games decided by these kinds of calls; hands to the face, holding, etc...are not penalties that are detriments to the overall safety of the players, so I agree there should be a much more lax view of how/when to call them.

Yeah, we wouldn't say coal miners dont deserve to be compensated if they are hurt. We take care of police and military if they get hurt in the line if work, and they know full-well the risks of the job. Hell, we take care of police and military for life, even when they arent hurt.

Why should a football player expect anything less?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT