ADVERTISEMENT

FH might have just won the State Championship

I don't know how it is today but when I was in school you could walk through the halls of Allegany and see upperclassmen hazing the underclassmen. And the teachers and coaches would look the other way. And it's not just Allegany I could give you first hand accounts of it happening at other area high schools. Correct me if I'm wrong but can anyone say that it happens at FH? Believe it or not things like this will eventually catch up to a program.

I attended Allegany 7 - 12 (graduated 68) and consider your comments totally foreign to my experience. Even what one would consider bullying today was non-existent in my 'walk through the halls' - though, every now and then there would be a couple guys attempt to square-off after school. But, that didn't last long.

"Wherein" you took a mole hill and attempted to turn it into a mountain. LOL

The quotes of public media have been posted. To you a mole hill. This is a forum. You're entitled to your opinion. As always, opinions vary. I, personally, would never excuse somethings because I weigh winning in high school sports to out-weigh them.

I attended Allegany 7 - 12 (graduated 68) and consider your comments totally foreign to my experience. Even what one would consider bullying today was non-existent in my 'walk through the halls' - though, every now and then there would be a couple guys attempt to square-off after school. But, that didn't last long.

Did you play football? And just because you didn't witness it doesn't make it untrue. I have no reason to bare false witness.

The quotes of public media have been posted. To you a mole hill. This is a forum. You're entitled to your opinion. As always, opinions vary. I, personally, would never excuse somethings because I weigh winning in high school sports to out-weigh them.

There's somethings I wouldn't excuse either. A blown out of proportion quote isn't one of them.

I've seen high school coaches allow their freshman team to scrimmage their varsity team during a supposed walk through. This same coach would tell the defensive varsity players what plays the freshman were running so their 300lb senior lineman could meet the runners in the hole. And we wonder why some programs succeed and others fail? Who would want to play for a sadistic coach and program like that? Jeopardizing the health and safety of their players is something to me that is inexcusable. A blown out of proportion quote isn't a sword I'm going to fall on.

How far have we've fallen? Whining about the state of one football program and bash the successful one out of self pity.

Actually, I think this forum is almost highbrow compared to previous years. If someone back then would have suggested that downstate teams were undisciplined, there would have been trolls all over the place with accusations and such.... all too soon somebody would be insultin' somebody's momma.

I've see

I've seen high school coaches allow their freshman team to scrimmage their varsity team during a supposed walk through. This same coach would tell the defensive varsity players what plays the freshman were running so their 300lb senior lineman could meet the runners in the hole. And we wonder why some programs succeed and others fail? Who would want to play for a sadistic coach and program like that? Jeopardizing the health and safety of their players is something to me that is inexcusable. A blown out of proportion quote isn't a sword I'm going to fall on.

So, who was the sadistic coach you are referring to at Allegany? Did I donate my $20 dollars in his memory at last year's Dunbar game? You brought it up. When did this happen, specifically.

You are calling Appel's quotes blown out of proportion. Okay. Your choice. But you are inferring there were sadistic coaches at Allegany.

What specific years did you attend Alco and who were the coaches?

So, who was the sadistic coach you are referring to at Allegany? Did I donate my $20 dollars in his memory at last year's Dunbar game? You brought it up. When did this happen, specifically.

You are calling Appel's quotes blown out of proportion. Okay. Your choice. But you are inferring there were sadistic coaches at Allegany.

What specific years did you attend Alco and who were the coaches?

I didn't say this particular incident happened at alco. Although I know of past alco coaches that saw hazing go on and turned a blind eye to it. The instance I spoke of happened at another area school. This vary same coach now holds public office. Go figure huh? My point is that we are attempting to figure out why some programs succeed and others fail. I'm just giving reasons beyond having or lacking talent. It's a culmination of factors that turn a program into a success or a failure over a sustained period of time.

I didn't say this particular incident happened at alco. Although I know of past alco coaches that saw hazing go on and turned a blind eye to it. The instance I spoke of happened at another area school. This vary same coach now holds public office. Go figure huh? My point is that we are attempting to figure out why some programs succeed and others fail. I'm just giving reasons beyond having or lacking talent. It's a culmination of factors that turn a program into a success or a failure over a sustained period of time.

"....when I was in school you could walk through the halls of Allegany and see upperclassmen hazing the underclassmen. And the teachers and coaches would look the other way.

I know of past alco coaches that saw hazing go on and turned a blind eye to it."

"Who would want to play for a sadistic coach"

At this point please don't suggest that you were not trying to lump all this into Allegany. I have been very specific about my comments regarding public records and my opinions about them... and now you are using terms like 'hazing' and being 'sadistic' while tossing in Allegany high School. So, let me try to ask this in a more specific way: what exact 'hazing' or bad behavior do you have first hand knowledge of regarding a specific Allegany coach? If you have no names, then I assume you made it all up or you are tossing out rumors to cover your point.

"....when I was in school you could walk through the halls of Allegany and see upperclassmen hazing the underclassmen. And the teachers and coaches would look the other way.

I know of past alco coaches that saw hazing go on and turned a blind eye to it."

"Who would want to play for a sadistic coach"

At this point please don't suggest that you were not trying to lump all this into Allegany. I have been very specific about my comments regarding public records and my opinions about them... and now you are using terms like 'hazing' and being 'sadistic' while tossing in Allegany high School. So, let me try to ask this in a more specific way: what exact 'hazing' or bad behavior do you have first hand knowledge of regarding a specific Allegany coach? If you have no names, then I assume you made it all up or you are tossing out rumors to cover your point.

Lag if you're going to engage I ask you to do it fairly and honestly. You left this quote out.

"you could walk through the halls of Allegany and see upperclassmen hazing the underclassmen. And the teachers and coaches would look the other way. And it's not just Allegany I could give you first hand accounts of it happening at other areahigh schools."

"And it's not just Allegany I could give you first hand accounts of it happening at other area high schools."

Clearly as iveI stated it's NOT JUST Allegany it's other area high schools!

The story I gave was a first hand account of another area high school. Like I said I could do... Once again I ask you to to fairly and honestly engage me if you choose to do so.

Lag if you're going to engage I ask you to do it fairly and honestly. You left this quote out.

"you could walk through the halls of Allegany and see upperclassmen hazing the underclassmen. And the teachers and coaches would look the other way. And it's not just Allegany I could give you first hand accounts of it happening at other areahigh schools."

"And it's not just Allegany I could give you first hand accounts of it happening at other area high schools."

Clearly as iveI stated it's NOT JUST Allegany it's other area high schools!

The story I gave was a first hand account of another area high school. Like I said I could do... Once again I ask you to to fairly and honestly engage me if you choose to do so.

"Although I know of past alco coaches that saw hazing go on and turned a blind eye to it."

"I know of past alco coaches that saw hazing go on and turned a blind eye to it."

I have put your quotes in my post. Who are the coaches.... what was the hazing and when did this happen. I don't know how more honest or fair I can be.

Again, you have used the terms 'sadistic' and 'hazing' while lumping Allegany into the general discourse. We know of Appel's public comments, you have diverted the issue to accusations that include Allegany.

So, I ask again: who were the coaches... what was the hazing and when did this happen.

"Although I know of past alco coaches that saw hazing go on and turned a blind eye to it."

"I know of past alco coaches that saw hazing go on and turned a blind eye to it."

I have put your quotes in my post. Who are the coaches.... what was the hazing and when did this happen. I don't know how more honest or fair I can be.

Again, you have used the terms 'sadistic' and 'hazing' while lumping Allegany into the general discourse. We know of Appel's public comments, you have diverted the issue to accusations that include Allegany.

So, I ask again: who were the coaches... what was the hazing and when did this happen.

I have nothing to prove to you. I used the term sadistic in reference to a specific incident. I already showed you the quote where I said it happens at other schools. Not going to go back and forth with you. The particulars are of no importance. If you want to start outing people. Go you can start with yourself.

I have nothing to prove to you. I used the term sadistic in reference to a specific incident. I already showed you the quote where I said it happens at other schools. Not going to go back and forth with you. The particulars are of no importance. If you want to start outing people. Go you can start with yourself.

Okay. You made it up.

Reactions: bigsavage
Lag, with everything going on at Damascus do you think someone really wants to open a can of worms involving a minor and something the coaching staff and other possible Boe employees ignored or swept under a rug? It doesn't take much digging to see there are no angels out there. If you are hanging your hat on the statement of wishing a kid works harder on his grades than football? Really? That the man wants a kid to thrive in a classroom over football? Working hard and not learning because of a learning disability are quite different. Or he'd like to see a kid be home and safe then out running around at night. All of the hurt my feelings crap has this country a hot mess. Would not be offended if either statements were made about my kids. Just my opinion.

Lol you think that's going to coax me into giving you what you want? lmao

No. I am calling you out as troweling out low-rent bullshit. You are making baseless accusations against an entire school in order to paper over a public record of another school's coach.

No. I am calling you out as troweling out low-rent bullshit. You are making baseless accusations against an entire school in order to paper over a public record of another school's coach.

Luckily your opinion carries little weight. Dinner is calling bye now.

Lag, with everything going on at Damascus do you think someone really wants to open a can of worms involving a minor and something the coaching staff and other possible Boe employees ignored or swept under a rug? It doesn't take much digging to see there are no angels out there. If you are hanging your hat on the statement of wishing a kid works harder on his grades than football? Really? That the man wants a kid to thrive in a classroom over football? Working hard and not learning because of a learning disability are quite different. Or he'd like to see a kid be home and safe then out running around at night. All of the hurt my feelings crap has this country a hot mess. Would not be offended if either statements were made about my kids. Just my opinion.

I get it. You like the guy enough to not be offended if he gave a public media interview and said those things about your children. I, on the other hand, would be furious.

When an interviewer asks a coach to comment about a kid's outstanding performance and the coach takes the opportunity to publicly say things that I think that a high school coach should not discuss publicly, then I have a problem with that coach. I have spelled this out before: Appel knocked himself off the pedestal I had put him on.

And, the aforementioned comment isn't about hurt feelings crap. And.... I know nothing about what is going on at Damascus but I do know MD public schools have issues.

I wish everyone well going forward - certainly I wish the best for you and your family. I would also like to repeat for the umpteenth time that I have never said Appel broke any rules. My opinions are simply my opinions about what are public record.

Concerning the comments made by others about Allegany..... they appear to be accusations that not only tarnish the school but do break the rules.

Some of your points are valid. I'm just showing another side of it all. To say you could coach these kids to a State Championship isn't as simple as what you think. You have to do way more than just call plays and practice and I know few if any who would be willing to put in the same amount of effort. Trust me when I tell you nobody in their right mind wants the FH or Alco head coaching job. Ask any of those former head coaches in the last 40 years...they'll tell ya. It takes a different kind of breed to want those jobs. I couldn't do it, no would I ever want to. Just dealing with parents would be too much for me.

Take a look at the 2012 FH season if you want to measure what coaches do when they don't have any talent. The talent and experience gap between the two Cumberland schools was miles apart. I remember watching that class come through the Hill wondering how they could win 3 games. The youth league talent is deep because success breeds success. It has been nurtured. Didn't happen on its own. I don't see that level of nurturing at other area programs. Call it craziness (and it is) but that is what's going on.

Well said

Yes, the same kids who lost to Keyser and North Hagerstown by 40 points but beat a talented senior Alco team twice.
Yes 21-20 both games and yes that was supposed to be the campers yr. It reminds me of the 2009 season where an 8-3 Allegany team beat a 11-0 FH team that won homecoming that yr.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT