ADVERTISEMENT

FH might have just won the State Championship

Coach Appel is experiencing the double-edge sword of being successful. You have the constant attacks, allegations from the competition who deep down are envious of what the program is doing.

On the other side you have your own fan-base who although are very loyal are also very spoiled and feel the need to question, criticize every move that you make or question every decision that is made.

There is a TREMENDOUS difference between saying what needs to be done and actually being the one who makes the decision to get it done.

I have had the blessing to coach several different high school and youth level sports. The difference you see in the parents is a stark contrast. When coaching the lower profile sports the parents are supportive,grateful and respectful to what you are doing to help their child become not just a better athlete but person.

In the high profile sports the parents are more entitled, demanding and nearly impossible to please. It is more about what you can do for their child or really for the parents self-esteem as opposed to the team.

Unfortunately many parents attach THEIR identity to the performance or playing time of their son/daughter. Athletic ability/playing time is not an indication of the type of person you are or the future success you will experience once your playing days are over.

In no way am I saying that all parents operate this way, they don't. Many see the big picture and are willing to support their children and coaches by having conversations with them about priorities and abilities in regards to the sport they are playing.

Perhaps a bit off topic of the original posters remarks in regard to Coach Appel but I think it's sometimes difficult for people who have never coached to understand how demanding and draining it can be, especially when you are passionate about what you are doing.

I also coached and ran a highly competitive youth sports program. I have seen everything you've described. Concerning coach Appel, I believe his problems are entirely self-inflicted. There are many people caught up in dealing with student athletes and parents wherein they have no control whatsoever. Appel is not one of those people.

If at this point in his life Appel cannot find peace and humility..... well, ending his coaching career will not change that. Whether you deliver championships or just the mail everyday I consider a successful person someone who others see in them a peaceful spirit. Fame and responsibility don't give you great character; they expose the character you have.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoyznBlue
I also coached and ran a highly competitive youth sports program. I have seen everything you've described. Concerning coach Appel, I believe his problems are entirely self-inflicted. There are many people caught up in dealing with student athletes and parents wherein they have no control whatsoever. Appel is not one of those people.

If at this point in his life Appel cannot find peace and humility..... well, ending his coaching career will not change that. Whether you deliver championships or just the mail everyday I consider a successful person someone who others see in them a peaceful spirit. Fame and responsibility don't give you great character; they expose the character you have.
You definitely have never talked to him in person.

Reactions: Waggle Pass

I do believe that Coach Appel has peace and humility. When I speak with those who have been coached by him, who have coached with him and also know him personally they speak highly of him.

Football is without a doubt the most demanding of all sports in regards to what a coach must do to be successful. It's year-round and there is no down-time, even in the summers.

It is a physically and emotionally exhausting job and no matter who you are regardless of your character you will have times in which your emotions will get the best if you.

Some of things we may see and hear from not only Coach Appel but many other coaches are the results of those very things discussed above.

Listen Lag. No one at Fort Hill is responsible for Alleghenys declining football program. Stop whining and helped build a program at Allegany. I consider a successful person as someone who wins consistently. If you listen to coach Appel you can tell he gets a lot of joy out of coaching and dealing with the kids. What he doesn’t enjoy is hearing negative comments from people like you who are obviously jealous of the highly successful program that Fort Hill has built and he has expanded upon. I am sure it would be a great day for you when he retires. Until then you’re just going to have to deal with the fact that he just keeps on wining over and over and over again

I like the John Wooden definition of success...mainly because it's determined by the individual them self.

“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable.”

Like most folks, I am aware of his public media record. Aren't you?

..... about a kid after a great game:

"I wish he'd work as hard off the field with his behavior as he worked on the field with football, he gives me a lot of headaches"

..... or about a kid with learning issues:

"I wish he'd work as hard in the class as on the field." ...

what a guy!

Or, he dumps publicly on others like TH for a schedule last year that wasn't fair because it was too hard for them to play..... glad he didn't just do that in private...... what a guy!

Listen Lag. No one at Fort Hill is responsible for Alleghenys declining football program. Stop whining and helped build a program at Allegany. I consider a successful person as someone who wins consistently. If you listen to coach Appel you can tell he gets a lot of joy out of coaching and dealing with the kids. What he doesn’t enjoy is hearing negative comments from people like you who are obviously jealous of the highly successful program that Fort Hill has built and he has expanded upon. I am sure it would be a great day for you when he retires. Until then you’re just going to have to deal with the fact that he just keeps on wining over and over and over again

"What he doesn’t enjoy is hearing negative comments from people like you"

If stupid forum comments get under his skin it goes along way to explain why he blurts out the things he does publicly.

As for myself, I retired 6 years ago with my corporate parachute and can't think of a single thing to be jealous of. But, I certainly would be embarrassed to have made certain public statements that a certain Cumberland football coach made.

And for the record.... again... no, I do not think FH is responsible for the situation at Allegany. It is a systemic problem of Cumberland itself.

I like the John Wooden definition of success...mainly because it's determined by the individual them self.

“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable.”

I guess it depends on what your goals are and, in part, what you are willing to excuse yourself for to achieve them.

Coach Appel is experiencing the double-edge sword of being successful. You have the constant attacks, allegations from the competition who deep down are envious of what the program is doing.

On the other side you have your own fan-base who although are very loyal are also very spoiled and feel the need to question, criticize every move that you make or question every decision that is made.

There is a TREMENDOUS difference between saying what needs to be done and actually being the one who makes the decision to get it done.

I have had the blessing to coach several different high school and youth level sports. The difference you see in the parents is a stark contrast. When coaching the lower profile sports the parents are supportive,grateful and respectful to what you are doing to help their child become not just a better athlete but person.

In the high profile sports the parents are more entitled, demanding and nearly impossible to please. It is more about what you can do for their child or really for the parents self-esteem as opposed to the team.

Unfortunately many parents attach THEIR identity to the performance or playing time of their son/daughter. Athletic ability/playing time is not an indication of the type of person you are or the future success you will experience once your playing days are over.

In no way am I saying that all parents operate this way, they don't. Many see the big picture and are willing to support their children and coaches by having conversations with them about priorities and abilities in regards to the sport they are playing.

Perhaps a bit off topic of the original posters remarks in regard to Coach Appel but I think it's sometimes difficult for people who have never coached to understand how demanding and draining it can be, especially when you are passionate about what you are doing.
Excellent post, however, I must admit I haven't coached fh football but I have coached. It was not for me. Appel is a way better man than I. I may have not made it clear but even though I question some of his comments and decisions I have the utmost respect for ALMOST all of what he has accomplished. My intent was to convey that if he walked away I would not blame him, and I wish only he has the peace and serenity we all strive for. If fh football is not allowing that to happen he should get out for his sake, not mine or yours.

I do believe that Coach Appel has peace and humility. When I speak with those who have been coached by him, who have coached with him and also know him personally they speak highly of him.

Football is without a doubt the most demanding of all sports in regards to what a coach must do to be successful. It's year-round and there is no down-time, even in the summers.

It is a physically and emotionally exhausting job and no matter who you are regardless of your character you will have times in which your emotions will get the best if you.

Some of things we may see and hear from not only Coach Appel but many other coaches are the results of those very things discussed above.

Ugh, are we talking about high school sports? You know, as in being an educator responsible for students in their charge. Or, are we talking about some demigod like activity that places those in charge above the norms.

You know, we might be perceiving some similarities here. I am not suggesting that Appel broke rules or isn't a good coach. To me, his public statements show a conflicted person who should have had the self awareness to get out from under the responsibility.

I had coaches in my program that.... ugh, kind of lost it under the pressure.... (let me put it this way).... they didn't last.

Before some things happened with Appel over the last year I posted that Allegany should merge with FH and Appel should be the coach. That obviously changed. I do wish him well. I wish the FH program another championship. But.... one's personal peace of mind and how that reflects on young athletes, comes first.

Excellent post, however, I must admit I haven't coached fh football but I have coached. It was not for me. Appel is a way better man than I. I may have not made it clear but even though I question some of his comments and decisions I have the utmost respect for ALMOST all of what he has accomplished. My intent was to convey that if he walked away I would not blame him, and I wish only he has the peace and serenity we all strive for. If fh football is not allowing that to happen he should get out for his sake, not mine or yours.

I think you made the post of the day. I commend you for it.

"I wish he'd work as hard off the field with his behavior as he worked on the field with football, he gives me a lot of headaches"

what a guy!

Or, he dumps publicly on others like TH for a schedule last year that wasn't fair because it was too hard for them to play..... glad he didn't just do that in private...... what a guy!
No matter what you think of him the kids love the guy he doesn't sugar coat things. So what i played under Calhoun Todd was an assistant then and i didn't always see eye to eye with him. But he motivated those around him to be better players and better students.

No matter what you think of him the kids love the guy he doesn't sugar coat things. So what i played under Calhoun Todd was an assistant then and i didn't always see eye to eye with him. But he motivated those around him to be better players and better students.

Well, the Amish still do public things like 'social shunning' and I have experienced parents publicly berate their children at sporting events. Once I had to go ask a parent to leave.

I am sure in the minds of many that publicly shaming others is a great motivator. Personally, I think it should be reserved for adults in controlled circumstances.... like maybe a military barracks.

Well, the Amish still do public things like 'social shunning' and I have experienced parents publicly berate their children at sporting events. Once I had to go ask a parent to leave.

I am sure in the minds of many that publicly shaming others is a great motivator. Personally, I think it should be reserved for adults in controlled circumstances.... like maybe a military barracks.
Your opinion more than entitled to it

Reactions: Lagmeister

what a guy!

I think you made the post of the day. I commend you for it.
Thanks Lag, people can disagree on some issues and still agree or respect others too, it doesn't have to be an either or. Your comments on this subject have been fair and respectable, and I appreciate that.
I also want to repeat something you said because I think it's very pertinent to this topic. If Appel didn't say the things he does on public radio there would be a lot less criticism. Nobody is forcing him to do the interview at all. Someone once said "what do you expect in the heat of the moment after the game when they stick a microphone in his face"...well, I personally expect him not to discuss personal issues about minors on the radio, and I expect him to lose as gracefully as he wins, and lastly I don't want him to blame TH, MPSSAA, Calhoun, climate change, tsunamis, jealous haters, or anybody else for his teams performance.

His program speaks for itself. He’s the best period. 6 finals in a row and 4 straight wins. If he could teach the quarterback to pass we could beat Alabama!

His program speaks for itself. He’s the best period. 6 finals in a row and 4 straight wins. If he could teach the quarterback to pass we could beat Alabama!
He has alot of talent to work with yearly and that makes a big difference.. I could coach the kids coming up to a State Championship...

He also has a lot of kids buy into the program and work their butts off. You can see what the coaching staff is capable of. You don't have to like the man. He's not perfect just like the rest of us. There are plenty of teams that have talent and not have the success FH and Appel has had. It is what it is. His commitment cannot be questioned and his preparation for a game is second to none.

He has alot of talent to work with yearly and that makes a big difference.. I could coach the kids coming up to a State Championship...

Could you commit to 40+ hours a week in addition to your full time job? I may not have seen eye-to-eye with Coach Appel many times all these years but never question his dedication and knowledge of the game. He doesn't get asked to give seminars on the wing-T because he has player talent. That staff is so far past what many other teams are doing that a local school had to accuse him of putting listening devices in helmets.

Last edited:
Could you commit to 40+ hours a week in addition to your full time job? I may not have seen eye-to-eye with Coach Appel many times all these years but never question his dedication and knowledge of the game. He doesn't get asked to give seminars on the wing-T because he has player talent. That staff is so far past what many other teams are doing that a local school had to accuse him of putting listening devices in helmets.
I have never questioned Appels dedication. I have said he's the best coach in the area but im not blind to what he has to work with.. These kids win championships on the youth level which has nothing to do with Appel.. The kids coming up are unbelievable.. I would love to see what Todd could do with Alco or Northerns roster.. What do you think those results would be? Let's give Todd them Braddock kids coming up and see how good he is. You either have the athletes or you dont. Yes his program makes kids better but alot of them are pretty damn good to begin with...

I have never questioned Appels dedication. I have said he's the best coach in the area but im not blind to what he has to work with.. These kids win championships on the youth level which has nothing to do with Appel.. The kids coming up are unbelievable.. I would love to see what Todd could do with Alco or Northerns roster.. What do you think those results would be? Let's give Todd them Braddock kids coming up and see how good he is. You either have the athletes or you dont. Yes his program makes kids better but alot of them are pretty damn good to begin with...
I know what he would do with Alco's and Northern's roster, produce winners. I guess Lattimer didn't get any athletes. How did he do? I think it is the "legendary weight lifting program". I never got along with him when my son played but there is no doubt he gets the most from his kids, athletes or not.

you can't tell a fh supporter anything that doesn't worship appel, it falls on deaf ears.

Because most people don't give a shit. It ain't their kid getting publicly shamed. I would also suspect some of the community 'love fest' is out of not wanting their kid to be on the blunt end of things.

Hey.... we got a winning program here, let the kids make their own way home from the 7 on 7.

Speaking from personal experience. Coach Appel is one of the best. I always said he taught me more than anyone about the position I played in the short amount of time I was under his tutorage. That was over 20 yrs ago. I can only imagine the wealth of knowledge he has to teach the kids today when it comes to football. Sure you can have talent but can you coach it? Teaching technique which not only coach Appel but the entire FH program does can take a talented athlete and make the game easier for that athlete. That's the biggest difference I noticed then and I notice now between the area schools. That, preparation, and the camaraderie taught to the athletes.
Everyone is apart of the FH family. You don't have the hazing at FH that you have at other schools. The upperclassmen respected and took the underclassmen under their wing. At least that's how it was when I was there. And I'm sure it's that way today..

Last edited:
Reactions: hbpass2
Speaking from personal experience. Coach Appel is one of the best. I always said he taught me more than anyone about the position I played in the short amount of time I was under his tutorage. That was over 20 yrs ago. I can only imagine the wealth of knowledge he has to teach tgeth kids today when it comes to football. Sure you can have talent but can you coach it? Teaching technique which not only coach Appel but the entire FH program does can take a talented athelete and make the game easier for that athelete. That's the biggest difference I noticed then and I notice now between the area schools. That, preparation, and the camaraderie taught to the athletes.
Everyone is apart of the FH family. You don't have the hazing at FH that you have at other schools. The upperclassmen respected and took the underclassmen under their wing. At least that's how it was when I was there. And I'm sure it's that way today..

Damn..... those nasty public records. If we just didn't have those.... why.... Fort Hill would be Walton's Mountain. "Good night Jim Bob!" "Good night coach!"

We've all had our moments. Everyone can't be perfect like the lagmeister.

I'm far from perfect. But I've had a young man come up to me and introduce his wife and young child. At first I wasn't sure who he was. Then it became clear that he was the kid I used to pick up and take to my games because his parents were either too drunk or not even around to take him.

I liked winning. I once took over from a shit coach and won every game the rest of the season. But what you saw from me was the same, public and private. And I never..... ever dog-talked a kid.

How soon we forget. 26 years or so without Appel and 2 state championships. I’m going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts. I can remember so many talented fort hill teams in the past that had crazy talent and went no where.

Maybe 36 years and 2 championships.
I'm far from perfect. But I've had a young man come up to me and introduce his wife and young child. At first I wasn't sure who he was. Then it became clear that he was the kid I used to pick up and take to my games because his parents were either too drunk or not even around to take him.
CAN YOU PLEASE TAKE OVER ALLEGANYS PROGRAM. fort hill doesn’t need you. Lol

I liked winning. I once took over from a shit coach and won every game the rest of the season. But what you saw from me was the same, public and private. And I never..... ever dog-talked a kid.

How far have we've fallen? Whining about the state of one football program and bash the successful one out of self pity.

So then, how can someone who is self admittedly imperfect demand perfection from another? If you want to frame the argument around things you would never do. Im sure the same could be said of you. If you want to hang your hat on a few quotes taken from a several decade career, overlook all the good that he's done and throw the baby out with the bath water, you're more than entitled to do so. As for me my opinion for what it's worth, will be measured.

Last edited:
I've always been curious as to why all that talent doesn't translate onto the basketball court. Maybe it's just the numbers that are the big difference. Let's face it, with all the athletes on the football field and mediocre basketball team at best, year after year, something is wrong.

I've always been curious as to why all that talent doesn't translate onto the basketball court. Maybe it's just the numbers that are the big difference. Let's face it, with all the athletes on the football field and mediocre basketball team at best, year after year, something is wrong.
Good question maybe its coach Burner don't know

Some of your points are valid. I'm just showing another side of it all. To say you could coach these kids to a State Championship isn't as simple as what you think. You have to do way more than just call plays and practice and I know few if any who would be willing to put in the same amount of effort. Trust me when I tell you nobody in their right mind wants the FH or Alco head coaching job. Ask any of those former head coaches in the last 40 years...they'll tell ya. It takes a different kind of breed to want those jobs. I couldn't do it, no would I ever want to. Just dealing with parents would be too much for me.

Take a look at the 2012 FH season if you want to measure what coaches do when they don't have any talent. The talent and experience gap between the two Cumberland schools was miles apart. I remember watching that class come through the Hill wondering how they could win 3 games. The youth league talent is deep because success breeds success. It has been nurtured. Didn't happen on its own. I don't see that level of nurturing at other area programs. Call it craziness (and it is) but that is what's going on.

Reactions: Tony54
I don't know how it is today but when I was in school you could walk through the halls of Allegany and see upperclassmen hazing the underclassmen. And the teachers and coaches would look the other way. And it's not just Allegany I could give you first hand accounts of it happening at other area high schools. Correct me if I'm wrong but can anyone say that it happens at FH? Believe it or not things like this will eventually catch up to a program.

So then, how can someone who is self admittedly imperfect demand perfection from another? If you want to frame the argument around things you would never do. Im sure the same could be said of you. If you want to hang your hat on a few quotes taken from a several decade career, overlook all the good that he's done and throw the baby out with the bath water, you're more than entitled to do so. As for me my opinion for what it's worth, will be measured.

Wherein did I demand perfection?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT