ADVERTISEMENT

FH might have just won the State Championship

Too many people stuck in Cumberland, as if it was the center of everything. I posted this on the WV forum. What seems to be happening is that football in general has taken a hit in participation numbers and dedication far and near. What that means is that the separation between the haves and have-nots is much wider. Look around at the lopsided scores in the post-season. It is happening everywhere.

How is Maryland 1A any different from 2A? Nobody has been able to challenge Damascus the past three years and now no one will challenge Oakdale. These teams are miles ahead of their competition. I think it is even worse in WV. No one can challenge Martinsburg in AAA. No one is going to challenge Bluefield or Fairmont in AA. Look at what Wise has done in 4A. Their championship games were 55-6 and 42-7 scores. Miles apart. I blame a great deal of this on the Maryland regional set up however.

So before anyone tries to claim Maryland 1A is terribly bad, look around. Is 1A the least competitive? Well yea, it is supposed to be and always has been. These are the smallest public schools. But the complaints about lopsided post-season scores has been an issue for a while now at all levels.

Alco and FH have separated. The haves and have-nots gap is wide obviously. I could go into the reasons why the gap has grown to this extent but I will leave it alone for the answers are sure to upset a few. It has nothing to do with kids coming over to the FH program or leaving the Alco program. The answers are the same for basketball and why Alco has completely dominated FH in hoops. I will just say success breeds success. Failure breeds failure. And with participation numbers dropping said statement only gets magnified.

Last edited:
He is the reason they are there. It’s the program period. It’s not anything else. Winners win and losers lose. Fort Hill does not have a bunch of division one athletes. It starts with peewee league and goes through the high school . By the way,the kids love coach Appel and he loves them. That’s why they give100%.

When they get talent they do quite well. As FH gets the abundance in talent, it mostly rides the bench. This issue, at least to me, isn't one school against the other. The issue is that both schools (meaning the students not the coaches or admins) are not benefiting from the current situation. Allegany is in danger of losing football while FH simply clobbers teams in an inferior classification.
Ok but i know for a fact that there is only i kid on the FH squad that dosen't live in there district. So I dont know what the solution would be for you guys. But i don't believe the current alco staff puts in the time needed either.

He is the reason they are there. It’s the program period. It’s not anything else. Winners win and losers lose. Fort Hill does not have a bunch of division one athletes. It starts with peewee league and goes through the high school . By the way,the kids love coach Appel and he loves them. That’s why they give100%.
Your right it starts at the peewee level where these kid's dominate from there on up.. I love hearing the reason for their success is their legendary weight training program. If that's the case then why are they beating the crap out of everyone else at the youth level???

Your right it starts at the peewee level where these kid's dominate from there on up.. I love hearing the reason for their success is their legendary weight training program. If that's the case then why are they beating the crap out of everyone else at the youth level???

A great point. But I would also ask why the series record between Alco and Fort Hill at the freshman and JV level since 2009 is 18-15-1 slightly in favor of FH? But at the varsity level in that same time span the record is 14-1 in favor of FH?

Reactions: Tony54
A great point. But I would also ask why the series record between Alco and Fort Hill at the freshman and JV level since 2009 is 18-15-1 slightly in favor of FH? But at the varsity level in that same time span the record is 14-1 in favor of FH?
Good question, I guess the JV and freshman dont get to participate in the legendary weight training program lol.. The reason we always get from FH fans is they moved this and that player up to Varsity..

Good question, I guess the JV and freshman dont get to participate in the legendary weight training program lol.. The reason we always get from FH fans is they moved this and that player up to Varsity..

You look around the field at homecoming and it looks like one side has a football team and the other side picked up just enough kids from a parking lot to play the game.... and the same old, tired answer from FH sounds like a script from global warming.

The blather is getting spread around here so thick I expect someone to start posting that all that depth of talent getting funneled to FH isn't really any better than Allegany's talent and that they just suit the kids up to make them feel better.... you know, like part of that new, marvelous educational system that puts fake self esteem over reality.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
Correct. But the years FH did beat Alco and made the playoffs they had to go through a higher class playoff grind. That is the difference. Even in the 1980s when Alco racked up most of their titles, those years FH beat them it was always the case. 3A playoff competition is something Alco never understood.

As I said, Alco played Dunbar one time for a title and the Campers had a real good undefeated team that year but got waxed by Dunbar in the title game. Try playing them 6 times and recount the titles. It would not be 8. FH had the worst luck with playoff draws for decades. Now they dont and people boo hoo. Point being no Alco fan should ever question or boo hoo who someone plays for titles as Lag is attempting.
Point is, no FH fan should ever boo boo who Allegany played, if they aren't going to do so when FH plays them.

The other point is that by your logic, FH being in the higher class means that they should be beating Alco more often. Do you really think you get to have it both ways and celebrate FH being the bigger school in wins over Allegany, then damn them being the bigger school when it comes to playoffs?

Yes Alco is larger than FH based on 2019-21 classification numbers. Never thought that would happen.

It would be interesting to see the gender mix... or are we strictly into 'self identification' now rather than physicality as part of our greater and better world.

Ok but i know for a fact that there is only i kid on the FH squad that dosen't live in there district. So I dont know what the solution would be for you guys. But i don't believe the current alco staff puts in the time needed either.

I moved to insure my boys went to a certain school.

The bottom line is there should be one school and one team for Cumberland. Everyone bitches about the schools needing to consolidate and maybe the fall of Allegany as some seem to think is happening will make that happen sooner than later. I for one do not think Allegany is falling but it's just an opinion. I'm not trying to bust your balls Lag. The state of each schools football program begins internally. Heck look at the crowds to the FH games. Yes the crowd IS declining. The FH coaches and boosters are doing their part. Being consistent and harboring an atmosphere that makes it exciting for the kids to play in. Maybe I'm taking you the wrong way Lag. You just come across real salty towards FH and seem to blame kids for making a choice they feel is best for them. Something that has happened forever between both schools.

The bottom line is there should be one school and one team for Cumberland. Everyone bitches about the schools needing to consolidate and maybe the fall of Allegany as some seem to think is happening will make that happen sooner than later. I for one do not think Allegany is falling but it's just an opinion. I'm not trying to bust your balls Lag. The state of each schools football program begins internally. Heck look at the crowds to the FH games. Yes the crowd IS declining. The FH coaches and boosters are doing their part. Being consistent and harboring an atmosphere that makes it exciting for the kids to play in. Maybe I'm taking you the wrong way Lag. You just come across real salty towards FH and seem to blame kids for making a choice they feel is best for them. Something that has happened forever between both schools.

Well, actually I blame parents mostly for making choices for their kids. I've seen club ball where parents pay hundreds to get their kid on a prestigious team and that kid rides the bench.

Certainly from high school sports most kids will just get playing time, if that. So, what does it avail a 1A school to have an abundance of players that in the end gain only accolades for old grads, current admin and a coach that runs a senior onto the field for 43 seconds.

When we say 'strength of program' what in the hell are we talking about. Are we talking about keeping in starters until we get a running clock or are we talking about scheduling teams to beat them to death.

When you say FH is making choices that are good for FH. What part of FH are you referring to? The kids that play or the kids that sit? The admin.... the coach?

The death of the Alco football program is an internal thing. But not internal to Allegany. Apparently parents have convinced their young athletes that it is exciting to suck up the atmosphere sitting on the FH bench.

As I've posted many times: play ten games and hit the books. The problem will solve itself.

Well, actually I blame parents mostly for making choices for their kids. I've seen club ball where parents pay hundreds to get their kid on a prestigious team and that kid rides the bench.

Certainly from high school sports most kids will just get playing time, if that. So, what does it avail a 1A school to have an abundance of players that in the end gain only accolades for old grads, current admin and a coach that runs a senior onto the field for 43 seconds.

When we say 'strength of program' what in the hell are we talking about. Are we talking about keeping in starters until we get a running clock or are we talking about scheduling teams to beat them to death.

When you say FH is making choices that are good for FH. What part of FH are you referring to? The kids that play or the kids that sit? The admin.... the coach?

The death of the Alco football program is an internal thing. But not internal to Allegany. Apparently parents have convinced their young athletes that it is exciting to suck up the atmosphere sitting on the FH bench.

As I've posted many times: play ten games and hit the books. The problem will solve itself.
You could play 10 games and no playoffs and the kids are still going to want to play for the winning program.

Last edited:
Im not even sure why anone here is discussing Alco football right now. It's championship week and they havent played a down in nearly a month and are completely irrelevant. FH has much bigger fish to fry.

Lag is bitter so be it. If the roles were reversed I would likely be too.

Just like everyone else, Adam Smith and Thucydides both at work here.

May I suggest a recent read of mine, Barnal Diaz del Castillo's The Discovery And Conquest Of Mexico - in specific the 1956 First American publication translated directly form the original text kept in Guatemala; wherein, he clearly details the Mexican cannibalism.

I’ll point out the obvious and say coaching. This is going back to recent preascorn vs Apple. Everyone wanted to blame preascorn for the losses and eventually foley took a good deal of heat but the final FH vs ALCO games of preascorn s

You could play 10 games and no playoffs and the kids are still going to want to play for the winning program.

We will never really no for sure will we. But you would sure as hell take the bragging rights away from the parents, admins and coaches and attempt to make it about playing the game.

Ultimately one would ask whether they would like to ride the bench for a championship team or play the game. That is what this question is turning into.

Im not even sure why anone here is discussing Alco football right now. It's championship week and they havent played a down in nearly a month and are completely irrelevant. FH has much bigger fish to fry.

Lag is bitter so be it. If the roles were reversed I would likely be too.

I have everything I need and no doubt more than what I deserve. What the hell is there to be bitter about. My comments about the championship game are pretty much directed at the fact that FH has deep talent and perhaps the best kicker in high school football right now. They can win. Their only handicap is a lack of being challenged this year... and certainly it wasn't from Allegany.

2018 student enrollment (9th-12th) according to US News & World Report:

Allegany = 667 (52% male = 347 rounded to nearest whole #)
FH = 780 (53% male = 413 rounded to nearest whole #)
Mtn Ridge = 825 (50% male = 413 rounded to nearest whole #)

Lag, based on your premise of numbers, Mtn Ridge should be competing or bettering FH on a yearly basis. Allegany should not stand a chance against Mtn Ridge but they hold the upper hand in the series. However, something I noticed 3 years ago is that Mtn Ridge is taking a vested community interest in football and building a program through boosters. Their turnout in the stands has increased as well as players wanting to play. FH has always had the boosters and despite a declining population, as someone else already stated, the boosters are doing whatever they can to keep the spirit up. Allegany used to have boosters and maybe they still do, but I do not here much about their alumni and when you go to a home game it is down right sad. You can here someone pass gas from across the stadium. You can blame some but not all of it on a declining population or a smaller male student population or kids fleeing from school to school. Some of it accounts for the lack of spirit and event making. I agree with others. the vested interest from the high school level in the lower levels accounts for a lot. Does Alco players show up to Pee Wee football games and/or play pick up games with the kids. I can remember playing for the Raiders decades ago and the Raiders’ coaches having FH players come to practice after they were finished at FH and just playing with the little kids. I have heard in recent years some FH players going to Washington Middle to meet incoming players. Maybe Allegany has fallen off because of the lack of pride in their program, the history, etc. Is it being taught to them. Maybe FH has advanced and left Alco behind because of the event, to be a part of something, to be a part of a program. I don’t know the Alco HC but it was said on this board that he would bring the program back, the spirit back. Maybe he is attempting, but he sure as heck does not appear to have the community backing on his side of town.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedPride97
I got an idea. Why don't we get both head coaches together and both teams and the head coaches can take turns picking kids like we did in elementary school. That would be fair.

2018 student enrollment (9th-12th) according to US News & World Report:

Allegany = 667 (52% male = 347 rounded to nearest whole #)
FH = 780 (53% male = 413 rounded to nearest whole #)
Mtn Ridge = 825 (50% male = 413 rounded to nearest whole #)

Lag, based on your premise of numbers, Mtn Ridge should be competing or bettering FH on a yearly basis. Allegany should not stand a chance against Mtn Ridge but they hold the upper hand in the series. However, something I noticed 3 years ago is that Mtn Ridge is taking a vested community interest in football and building a program through boosters. Their turnout in the stands has increased as well as players wanting to play. FH has always had the boosters and despite a declining population, as someone else already stated, the boosters are doing whatever they can to keep the spirit up. Allegany used to have boosters and maybe there still do, but I do not here much about their alumni and when you go to a home game it is down right sad. You can here someone pass gas from across the stadium. You can blame some but not all of it on a declining population or a smaller male student population or kids fleeing from school to school. Some of it accounts for the lack of spirit and event making. I agree with others. the vested interest from the high school level in the lower levels accounts for a lot. Does Alco players show up to Pee Wee football games and/or play pick up games with the kids. I can remember playing for the Raiders decades ago and the Raiders’ coaches having FH players come to practice after they were finished at FH and just playing with the little kids. I have heard in recent years some FH players going to Washington Middle to meet incoming players. Maybe Allegany has fallen off because of the lack of pride in their program, the history, etc. Is it being taught to them. Maybe FH has advanced and left Alco behind because of the event, to be a part of something, to be a part of a program. I don’t know the Alco HC but it was said on this board that he would bring the program back, the spirit back. Maybe he is attempting, but he sure as heck does not appear to have the community backing on his side of town.

Thanks for the post....

I got an idea. Why don't we get both head coaches together and both teams and the head coaches can take turns picking kids like we did in elementary school. That would be fair.

Bum Phillips once said, " A good coach could take his'n and you'rn and beat you'rn and his'n with his'n or you'rn" .... or something like that.

9-11th numbers used for classification in football:

Alco 588
FH 566

That's per the MPSSAA. The total enrollments listed on US News and World report are usually a little off. But not by much. Both schools are more evenly populated than they've ever been. At least in the last 50 years.

Too many people stuck in Cumberland, as if it was the center of everything. I posted this on the WV forum. What seems to be happening is that football in general has taken a hit in participation numbers and dedication far and near. What that means is that the separation between the haves and have-nots is much wider. Look around at the lopsided scores in the post-season. It is happening everywhere.

How is Maryland 1A any different from 2A? Nobody has been able to challenge Damascus the past three years and now no one will challenge Oakdale. These teams are miles ahead of their competition. I think it is even worse in WV. No one can challenge Martinsburg in AAA. No one is going to challenge Bluefield or Fairmont in AA. Look at what Wise has done in 4A. Their championship games were 55-6 and 42-7 scores. Miles apart. I blame a great deal of this on the Maryland regional set up however.

So before anyone tries to claim Maryland 1A is terribly bad, look around. Is 1A the least competitive? Well yea, it is supposed to be and always has been. These are the smallest public schools. But the complaints about lopsided post-season scores has been an issue for a while now at all levels.

Alco and FH have separated. The haves and have-nots gap is wide obviously. I could go into the reasons why the gap has grown to this extent but I will leave it alone for the answers are sure to upset a few. It has nothing to do with kids coming over to the FH program or leaving the Alco program. The answers are the same for basketball and why Alco has completely dominated FH in hoops. I will just say success breeds success. Failure breeds failure. And with participation numbers dropping said statement only gets magnified.

Good points in the above post. I am neither a FH or Alco alumni or fan just someone who enjoys high school football on all levels. What I see at FH is tradition, strong leadership and a school and community that has created a culture of success.

Of course it starts at the top. Much credit goes to Coach Appel and his staff for creating an atmosphere in which the student athletes grow as players and young men. They work very hard but because of the manner in which it is done they get 100% buy in from the players.

The level of coaching and experience on that staff is hard to match. Plus the attention to detail and preparation is probably not matched by many other teams locally or at the state level either.

Tradition and expectations play a strong part in winning games but especially the big games. The players know that they not only represent themselves but the teams, players and coaches of the past. They also know that they have a loyal, passionate fanbase too.The bar is set high and the athletes know that and will rise to it when challenged on most occasions.

It was uncommen years ago for parents and players to seek out the best programs, sure a few athletes here and there may have moved around but it wasn't the norm. Things have changed with the increased importance the role of sports plays in our current society.

Does FH benefit from players wanting to be a part of their tradition and success?Probably but so does Martinsburg, Dunbar, Jefferson baseball,Dematha basketball and the list goes on and on. It happens everywhere, for many reasons and happens much earlier and begins at the lower levels more often than previously.

On the flip side of the success model is the programs who are struggling. Athletes who may be interested in playing football (or any other sport) but see the program at their school faltering simply choose not to play. It's too much of a sacrifice of their time and energy to do something they deem as a "waste of time" because we never win. Students have many more options on how to utilize their free time as compared to years ago (not saying these options are good ones).

Once that mindset is set in place it can be difficult to overcome and filters down through your commmunity and youth level programs. Why play for _______ when we never win. From that point on the support you need to be successful from the school and community begins to erode, tradition is forgotten a downward trend begins.

JpA1sM.jpg

Good points in the above post. I am neither a FH or Alco alumni or fan just someone who enjoys high school football on all levels. What I see at FH is tradition, strong leadership and a school and community that has created a culture of success.

Of course it starts at the top. Much credit goes to Coach Appel and his staff for creating an atmosphere in which the student athletes grow as players and young men. They work very hard but because of the manner in which it is done they get 100% buy in from the players.

The level of coaching and experience on that staff is hard to match. Plus the attention to detail and preparation is probably not matched by many other teams locally or at the state level either.

Tradition and expectations play a strong part in winning games but especially the big games. The players know that they not only represent themselves but the teams, players and coaches of the past. They also know that they have a loyal, passionate fanbase too.The bar is set high and the athletes know that and will rise to it when challenged on most occasions.

It was uncommen years ago for parents and players to seek out the best programs, sure a few athletes here and there may have moved around but it wasn't the norm. Things have changed with the increased importance the role of sports plays in our current society.

Does FH benefit from players wanting to be a part of their tradition and success?Probably but so does Martinsburg, Dunbar, Jefferson baseball,Dematha basketball and the list goes on and on. It happens everywhere, for many reasons and happens much earlier and begins at the lower levels more often than previously.

On the flip side of the success model is the programs who are struggling. Athletes who may be interested in playing football (or any other sport) but see the program at their school faltering simply choose not to play. It's too much of a sacrifice of their time and energy to do something they deem as a "waste of time" because we never win. Students have many more options on how to utilize their free time as compared to years ago (not saying these options are good ones).

Once that mindset is set in place it can be difficult to overcome and filters down through your commmunity and youth level programs. Why play for _______ when we never win. From that point on the support you need to be successful from the school and community begins to erode, tradition is forgotten a downward trend begins.

... Things have changed with the increased importance the role of sports plays in our current society.....

In the days before the damn 'idiot box' took over, getting out and playing sports was much more important. We had no reason to just sit on our ass all the time.

I think sports aren't more important today at all. They're just perceived differently - fantasy football is more important than finding a good game to watch. If high school sports today, as a sport, were important the stands would be filled with more students and played for the real reason to have them: for the love of the game, the challenge, the pure competition.

To me, it is the parent who wants their child always being on the winning side and it outweighs having participated in the actual outcome of the game. It is more status than a real challenge. So, high school sports are just more Xbox - which is a "waste of time" if you don't win, so you toss your controller on the floor and quit.

"Why play for _______ when we never win"
Of course the parent never says.... join that team. Play every down and make a difference. That's how you learn to make a difference in your own life and be a leader. The parent would rather brag to his neighbors whom his kid plays for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony54
"And Robinette should have went to FH by his address. Nobody cried. At least 3 players that either lived in FH district or played for FH the year prior played for Allegany this year. Hell, maybe when Alco was the in school and winning titles, how many kids jumped ship from FH territory? You act like it's something new. It's ok that it provided Alco their most prolific runner but... But..."

Maybe you should read FortHillfan89's post.... good man.... so as to not bring up the district bullshit anymore. There is a systemic problem. But if folks in Cumberland could care less whether there is even a sham of a rivalry.... then who am I to actually give a shit. As I posted a couple weeks ago: give Alco three to five years to end the rivalry and not much after that to end football. I think someone posted that perhaps kids could go to Allegany while playing for FH. You know, keep the 1A thing going a while longer.
I love the rivalry that's existed between FH and Alco. I'll miss it tremendously when it's gone. However, it's time - has been time for too long - to consolidate. Building the new Allegany that can barely hold its current enrollment was seriously crazy!!!

Reactions: Lagmeister
... Things have changed with the increased importance the role of sports plays in our current society.....

In the days before the damn 'idiot box' took over, getting out and playing sports was much more important. We had no reason to just sit on our ass all the time.

I think sports aren't more important today at all. They're just perceived differently - fantasy football is more important than finding a good game to watch. If high school sports today, as a sport, were important the stands would be filled with more students and played for the real reason to have them: for the love of the game, the challenge, the pure competition.

To me, it is the parent who wants their child always being on the winning side and it outweighs having participated in the actual outcome of the game. It is more status than a real challenge. So, high school sports are just more Xbox - which is a "waste of time" if you don't win, so you toss your controller on the floor and quit.

"Why play for _______ when we never win"
Of course the parent never says.... join that team. Play every down and make a difference. That's how you learn to make a difference in your own life and be a leader. The parent would rather brag to his neighbors whom his kid plays for.

I will agree on your points about tv and xbox. As with anything it is fine if done in moderation but unfortunately it consumes way too much time in so many young peoples lives. I will also agree on your points about the parents, They seem to be much more controlling when it comes to sports and which team their child plays on. I have seen that play out even on the pee wee level.

I still love high school sports and rooting on your local athletes I just hope that the adults don't ruin such a great thing for the kids.

Reactions: Lagmeister
I hate to admit it, but you're right.
That may be coming to an end. After last weeks game the interview was a tearful woe is me, woe is the team and coaches, everybody is taking shots at us, nobody knows what we put up with, not all of it is public...he sounded absolutely miserable. If he is truly that unhappy then he may just be ready to walk away. If you are crying on the radio about how horrible you are being treated then you are allowing people to have a certain power over you and that is sad, and it probably isn't good for his health either.

That may be coming to an end. After last weeks game the interview was a tearful woe is me, woe is the team and coaches, everybody is taking shots at us, nobody knows what we put up with, not all of it is public...he sounded absolutely miserable. If he is truly that unhappy then he may just be ready to walk away. If you are crying on the radio about how horrible you are being treated then you are allowing people to have a certain power over you and that is sad, and it probably isn't good for his health either.
Everyone knows he's on the way out anyways.

This is the perfect time to show how faith brings peace, comfort and gratitude for having been given the opportunity to lead such fine young men year after year.

Coach Appel is experiencing the double-edge sword of being successful. You have the constant attacks, allegations from the competition who deep down are envious of what the program is doing.

On the other side you have your own fan-base who although are very loyal are also very spoiled and feel the need to question, criticize every move that you make or question every decision that is made.

There is a TREMENDOUS difference between saying what needs to be done and actually being the one who makes the decision to get it done.

I have had the blessing to coach several different high school and youth level sports. The difference you see in the parents is a stark contrast. When coaching the lower profile sports the parents are supportive,grateful and respectful to what you are doing to help their child become not just a better athlete but person.

In the high profile sports the parents are more entitled, demanding and nearly impossible to please. It is more about what you can do for their child or really for the parents self-esteem as opposed to the team.

Unfortunately many parents attach THEIR identity to the performance or playing time of their son/daughter. Athletic ability/playing time is not an indication of the type of person you are or the future success you will experience once your playing days are over.

In no way am I saying that all parents operate this way, they don't. Many see the big picture and are willing to support their children and coaches by having conversations with them about priorities and abilities in regards to the sport they are playing.

Perhaps a bit off topic of the original posters remarks in regard to Coach Appel but I think it's sometimes difficult for people who have never coached to understand how demanding and draining it can be, especially when you are passionate about what you are doing.

Well the 2007 title game wasn't very competitive.

Idk man that was a pretty competitive game until later in the 2nd half when Dunbar's D1 talent really took over. Alco scored with them for the first half, but the best RB in state history and the handful of other college players they had on their roster were too much for anyone in 1A to handle that year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT