ADVERTISEMENT

FH Keyser

Keyser goes up. Ouch. Really tough to defend a streak with a rebuilding team when you play a bruiser like Keyser. Still time to pull it out.

Keyser playing prevent. FH marching down field. Still an onside kick if they score.. They scored. It ain't over.

Late hit on kick with only 20 seconds left???? FH had 125 yards of penalties and still almost pulled it out.

Had to play a perfect game tonight and we didn't. Congratulations to Keyser. Wish them the best of luck.

Wasn't surprised... I was the only one that predicted Keyser... I didn't see anyone else give them more than 21 points. The only way to improve is to be honest about your flaws...

But someone tell me what the hell was that punt formation about in the first Q... No wonder it got blocked!

Thank god!
Thanks. When my son played he had a concussion & continued to play. He got hit & came right up, but didn't remember playing the rest of the game. The trainers didn't check him, because he seemed fine. About an hour after I got home I get a phone call to come get him at the school. It had a delayed effect on him, so you never know how the brain will react to a hard hit, I guess...

I'm just thankful Kaleb is ok, and I hope he doesn't rush getting back too soon. The trainers & Drs will make sure that won't happen. I'm also glad ambulances are at the games & he got immediate treatment. No ambulances at Fairfax County games, which I think is the dumbest thing. "Budget cuts" they say... Yrs ago I was at a JV game and a kid broke his neck from a hit. He laid on the field for 20 min before an ambulance showed up. Totally uncalled for. Cumberland does it right when it comes to high school football.

I have to say - I'm sorry the win streak came to an end, but nothing to hang their head about. They'll just start over :)

crazy and long game

I think the late FH QB switch will be permanent

FH up 28-12 and had just stopped Keyser on 4th and inches at midfield I thought was going to end the night for Keyser. I was wrong. 3 and out for FH then Keyser scored 3 TDs in 5 minutes.

lots of cramping on both sides. Prayers for 9 and 13 for FH. Cant remember any Keyser injuries other than cramping.

Thanks. When my son played he had a concussion & continued to play. He got hit & came right up, but didn't remember playing the rest of the game. The trainers didn't check him, because he seemed fine. About an hour after I got home I get a phone call to come get him at the school. It had a delayed effect on him, so you never know how the brain will react to a hard hit, I guess...

I'm just thankful Kaleb is ok, and I hope he doesn't rush getting back too soon. The trainers & Drs will make sure that won't happen. I'm also glad ambulances are at the games & he got immediate treatment. No ambulances at Fairfax County games, which I think is the dumbest thing. "Budget cuts" they say... Yrs ago I was at a JV game and a kid broke his neck from a hit. He laid on the field for 20 min before an ambulance showed up. Totally uncalled for. Cumberland does it right when it comes to high school football.

I have to say - I'm sorry the win streak came to an end, but nothing to hang their head about. They'll just start over :)

When I was QB at FH I received a concussion, and I never received any type of treatment for it because my pride wouldn't let me tell the trainers about it. I ended up getting three more concussions, and the last one before I was done on hill came simply from the heat during practice. Looking back I wish I would have spoke up,

When I was QB at FH I received a concussion, and I never received any type of treatment for it because my pride wouldn't let me tell the trainers about it. I ended up getting three more concussions, and the last one before I was done on hill came simply from the heat during practice. Looking back I wish I would have spoke up,
Yep - Glad you're ok... I know a kid who played with a concussion and after the game puked his guts out in the shower... They do things a lot different today in treating head/neck injuries. I'm sure Kaleb will be the best treatment. Thanks again for your concern for him (I'm family with him).

Glad he's alright. I missed the hit he took, but its been a long time since I've seen a kid on the field like that. Didn't look like he was moving at all. Hope he's back soon, but like others have said, with what we are learning about head injuries no need to rush.

My impression from the commercial vid:

It was an emotional hanky-ridden game, played by two behemoths slugging it out in the tar pit. FH needs to put Brown in a glass case and only bring him out when necessary, because without him they are not much better than above average. Boy, do they miss Barnes and Shives on defense: I have never seen so many attempted arm tackles by a FH team beyond the line of scrimmage - and the worst of it was inside their 30 when they should have really stiffened. I also have to scratch my head about how easy it was for a Keyser lineman to just walk through the FH defense and block a linebacker. I still cannot believe that FH almost won this game with so many penalties - last night Big Red was really spinning. Please - I beg you - protect Brown as if your life depends on it! He isn't just important - he is everything.

Graves came in too late at QB. Keyser size destroyed the FH O line...running game was ineffective because there was no pass option until Graves took over. Once he came in, the offense was clicking and Keyser had no idea how to defend the pass with the more athletic QB in there. As evidence by FH marching right down the field to score on a 26 yd TD pass.

QB switch happens at the beginning of the 4th quarter, it could have fared better for Big Red.

But make no mistake, Keyser was huge on the line and Rodehaver ran like a beast. Good close game between two sluggers. I think with this loss, the streak is out of their minds, the QB decision has been made as far as Im concerned, and FH makes some defensive adjustments. 8-2, 7-3, and prime for a playoff run. Keyser shoulf fare well against any run heavy teams...but passing teams may have some success.

The loss is disappointing for FH fans..but if there was ever a loss to learn from, it was this one. It needed to happen.

Also, I see Alco learning from FHs mistakes and beating Keyser by passing early.

Graves came in too late at QB. Keyser size destroyed the FH O line...running game was ineffective because there was no pass option until Graves took over. Once he came in, the offense was clicking and Keyser had no idea how to defend the pass with the more athletic QB in there. As evidence by FH marching right down the field to score on a 26 yd TD pass.

QB switch happens at the beginning of the 4th quarter, it could have fared better for Big Red.

But make no mistake, Keyser was huge on the line and Rodehaver ran like a beast. Good close game between two sluggers. I think with this loss, the streak is out of their minds, the QB decision has been made as far as Im concerned, and FH makes some defensive adjustments. 8-2, 7-3, and prime for a playoff run. Keyser shoulf fare well against any run heavy teams...but passing teams may have some success.

The loss is disappointing for FH fans..but if there was ever a loss to learn from, it was this one. It needed to happen.

Coming in as he did under pressure, Graves did a Herculean job! But I must admit - when you could see a Keyser guard pull nobody comes flying in to tackle the runner from the backside or smother anything coming back their way - whazzup with that? I saw a lot of standing around watching Keyser pull and load up the other side of the line with blockers for Rodeheaver - and Keyser's center kept waltzing through a hole and negating our middle linebacker. Am I reading all this wrong?

Time for Fort Hill's coaching staff to wake the hell up!!!! To many missed tackles, poor play calling and dumb penalties! Start coaching guys!! And by the way, the band is always behind you win or loose. Where were you at after the game for there performance???,

Last edited:
How many of you are aware Coach Appel stopped by Kaleb Harden's house after the game to check on him? After an emotional loss his focus and immediate concern was on his injured player. How some can set behind a keyboard or in the stands and feel they can lay criticism on a man who is leading these boys by example, among the problems so publicized in the community, is beyond me. Wins & losses should not define coaches, but a morale & upright leadership that will impress young men way more than a win or loss! Some people should stop & think about this, IMO, and appreciate what Coach Appel and his staff brings to these players and the community that is much more important. Shame on you who don't! These guys get paid, as teachers, way below the norm considering their personal time they give. How would you like to be dealing with a situation where you had a coach that had the program on suspension? It happens all the time, because of coaches who are all about themselves and not the boys, doing whatever it takes to win, even breaking the rules... "Wake the hell up!"? Didn't Coach Appel recently exceed Coach Hahn's win record? Geesh...

How many of you are aware Coach Appel stopped by Kaleb Harden's house after the game to check on him? After an emotional loss his focus and immediate concern was on his injured player. How some can set behind a keyboard or in the stands and feel they can lay criticism on a man who is leading these boys by example, among the problems so publicized in the community, is beyond me. Wins & losses should not define coaches, but a morale & upright leadership that will impress young men way more than a win or loss! Some people should stop & think about this, IMO, and appreciate what Coach Appel and his staff brings to these players and the community that is much more important. Shame on you who don't! These guys get paid, as teachers, way below the norm considering their personal time they give. How would you like to be dealing with a situation where you had a coach that had the program on suspension? It happens all the time, because of coaches who are all about themselves and not the boys, doing whatever it takes to win, even breaking the rules... "Wake the hell up!"? Didn't Coach Appel recently exceed Coach Hahn's win record? Geesh...

I would expect any coach to do that. But be that as it may, I am a poster most critical of coaches, which I attribute to years of running a youth program. This is a forum so I air that out - within the bounds of the rules. I say, defend the coaches as you will but understand others are free to criticize them. What you are trying to do is stamp out others rights. Sorry.

As far as teachers and such, the coach at FH is the most prestigious job in the city, followed by the coach at Alco. And with the economy continuing to tank and the poverty rate continuing to rise in Allegany County, teachers have one of the best paying jobs - along with a pension and excellent medical benefits. What was true in the old days is a myth today - despite the fact that teachers would like to perpetuate the myth come budget time.

I
I would expect any coach to do that. But be that as it may, I am a poster most critical of coaches, which I attribute to years of running a youth program. This is a forum so I air that out - within the bounds of the rules. I say, defend the coaches as you will but understand others are free to criticize them. What you are trying to do is stamp out others rights. Sorry.

As far as teachers and such, the coach at FH is the most prestigious job in the city, followed by the coach at Alco. And with the economy continuing to tank and the poverty rate continuing to rise in Allegany County, teachers have one of the best paying jobs - along with a pension and excellent medical benefits. What was true in the old days is a myth today - despite the fact that teachers would like to perpetuate the myth come budget time.

I have to agree with lag on this one... Teaching jobs are some of the best paying not to mention easiest jobs in the county... Day shift with weekends/holidays and all summer off. There's a reason why there is a shortage of teaching positions in this area... Everyone wants them and no one gives them up unless they retire....

My spin was an attempt to consider the positive & not the negative, and certainly not the economic status of teachers in Cumberland (I was a teacher in Cumberland 30+ yrs ago, so have some gauge on that.) My two children are both teachers, and son a coach, as you know, so I may be a little defensive knowing the countless hours (over 12 months) in comparison to pay. It's definitely an act of love most times... I don't know Todd Appel personally, but I do know his Dad, and I get the impression from what I've read & told by family & friends he's a man of integrity. I respect that in a world where it is so often too rare...

I'm certainly not trying to "stamp out others rights", Lag. Just don't see it necessary for such negativity after 29 wins and 2 state championships. There's a LOT of bad coaches out there, but we are fortunate to have a 'good one' at FH. Not saying he's perfect... IMO, Cumberland (generalizing here) gets way to wrapped around the axle on wins & losses, and does not see the real value of high school football is shaping personal lives of young people. Just my opinion.

I've questioned quite a few times, my son on plays/calls/decisions that appeared one way, and after he explained I understood the circumstance was quite different. Usually, the kid(s) missed an assignment, but sometimes a wrong play was called, etc. That doesn't make a good coach a bad coach.

Keyser won fair and square with their injuries. No way of assessing the impact the injuries have on any team, but being in agreement with Todd that 1A is most impacted. Please understand I respect yours and most everyone's posts here. This just happens to be my take.... Peace

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT