ADVERTISEMENT

FH-ALCO Homecoming

Here we go. All this comes up now a couple days before homecoming. Let the excuses begin.

On the subject of taking a knee. No coach in his right mind can put a sub into the game and tell them not to play hard.
Theses kids show up every day for practice and bust their ass too.

Let’s face it. life isn’t fair and everybody doesn’t get a trophy in real life.

College is 100 percent completely different. Even in college rarely if ever will you see them rush with time running out to push another score in. The sad part is the FH JV team is made of kids that came up in the Allegany Feeder system. They played for Braddock then switched schools this year. FH Varsity the QB and RB/DB played for Braddock which is blue, both decided to go to FH rather than Alco. FH is not a regular 1A school pulling students from both sides. Warriors best players went from Braddock to FH. There should be no expectation for Alco to compete with that. FH should truthfully be able to beat Alco by 50 in football JV and Varsity. How many 1A schools in MD are getting the best players from all feeder schools in the City?
I think it's more a testament to the lack of faith in the Alco program than anything.

I can sum up the difference in the two programs like this:

FH came off a gutsy comeback win against a powerhouse 4A sized school out of Ohio. And it was business as usual moving forward.

Alco touts a 57-21 point blowout win over Northern as proof that they're ready to shock the world and take out FH. Even WCBCs Rock and Dr. Z were clamoring all over themselves on how huge that win was on their Saturday show.

Where would you want to play coming out of pee wee or middle school? Can you really fault kids for that? I can remember a time when a stand out running back from down the crick thought enough of the Alco program to transfer there for football and lead them to a state title. That doesn't happen anymore.

In this age of political correctness, and hurt feelings has no business involving itself in athletics. There are blowouts in every sport. As long as the backups are playing why is the onus always on the team winning to stop playing, and take a knee, while the losing team is still playing and trying to score. Why is the losing team not taking a knee after halftime. Let the kids play as long as both are using their subs. Should backups in basketball miss shots on purpose, or batters swing and miss on purpose. What's more embarrassing to a team. Last year FH v Southern playoff game FH won something like 74-0. FH started wholesale substitutions midway through the 2nd quarter. If you are a fan, coach, or player at Southern how would really have felt if FH started taking a knee at that point. I believe that would be more embarrassing, and very unsportsmanlike to treat a team that way. In my opinion, never tell a backup to not play.

Reactions: Dwj21 and Tony54
Playing devil’s advocate here, but I don’t sell this Alco team short. If they can control the line on offense, they have a chance.

Slim, but a chance. Shoot, they may even lead at some point.

28-17 Sentinels

Reactions: Tony54
Someone read something wrong we did not say they should take a knee, I clearly said, a team should continue playing full with back-ups and not try to just kill the clock. WesternMD quoted someone who said FH will win 70-5 they will take a knee at the end for a safety. I think WesternMD was making fun of that comment by saying FH will never take a knee. Then he said how they hurried with time running out and tried to punch one more in at the JV game. No one said anything in the likes of someone should take a knee. There is clearly a difference in running your offense and playing hard and running a hurrying up to get one more score with time running out. I think that is what he was saying.

Reactions: ravemwp
I think FH ppl even questioned in last weeks varsity game why the starters were still in with the game in hand, rather than giving players playing time. Especially when the opposing team pulled starters.

Here we go. All this comes up now a couple days before homecoming. Let the excuses begin.

On the subject of taking a knee. No coach in his right mind can put a sub into the game and tell them not to play hard.
Theses kids show up every day for practice and bust their ass too.

Let’s face it. life isn’t fair and everybody doesn’t get a trophy in real life.
lol… I brought this up before a few times. If you scroll down and look at a post this summer during 7on7 I posted Deshaun Brown who was the best player for the Braddock Warriors may be the starting qb this upcoming season for FH.

I think FH ppl even questioned in last weeks varsity game why the starters were still in with the game in hand, rather than giving players playing time. Especially when the opposing team pulled starters.
If I remember correctly FH had many backups in that final drive. Brown, and Bender were in but most of the carries went to Ross, who they are still trying to up to full speed after coming back from injury.

Someone read something wrong we did not say they should take a knee, I clearly said, a team should continue playing full with back-ups and not try to just kill the clock. WesternMD quoted someone who said FH will win 70-5 they will take a knee at the end for a safety. I think WesternMD was making fun of that comment by saying FH will never take a knee. Then he said how they hurried with time running out and tried to punch one more in at the JV game. No one said anything in the likes of someone should take a knee. There is clearly a difference in running your offense and playing hard and running a hurrying up to get one more score with time running out. I think that is what he was saying.
I wasn't quoting your post. I was simply agreeing with it. Let the backups play. But also wondering why the onus is always put on the teams winning to slow things down, while the team losing continues to play as normal. It happens at every level. I watched a pro team losing 38-0 in the 4th quarter throw the ball all over the field with their starters on the field. I just question why.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
One thing I do like about Alkire and his current coaching staff. He doesn't seem to want to embarrass other teams purposely, unlike some previous staffs. Over the past 2 years he has enough depth to substitute freely, and take his foot off the gas. I believe he would like his whole FH program at all levels operate that way.

lol… I brought this up before a few times. If you scroll down and look at a post this summer during 7on7 I posted Deshaun Brown who was the best player for the Braddock Warriors may be the starting qb this upcoming season for FH.
I remember reading that post. He has really improved as the season progressed. I thought as the level of competition rose that his play might falter. I was wrong, yet I still believe that Noah House is the best QB on their roster.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Playing devil’s advocate here, but I don’t sell this Alco team short. If they can control the line on offense, they have a chance.

28-17 Sentinels
Is there one school on their schedule that is on par with FH? Did they play a schedule that forced them to get better, change, adjust. Was their anything about beating Northern or Keyser that was so impressive that is on par with FH beating Wadsworth or New Oxford? Anything can happen and I wouldn't be shocked, but realistically is it talent and coaching that gives them a chance or just the emotion of Homecoming.

Is there one school on their schedule that is on par with FH? Did they play a schedule that forced them to get better, change, adjust. Was their anything about beating Northern or Keyser that was so impressive that is on par with FH beating Wadsworth or New Oxford? Anything can happen and I wouldn't be shocked, but realistically is it talent and coaching that gives them a chance or just the emotion of Homecoming.
I think only the emotion of the 17 Alco seniors gives them a punchers chance. FH talent, depth, schedule, and coaching gives them the big edge. Although never underestimate the heart of one last chance.

Last edited:
It’s Homecoming. Throw out the books.

My senior year, .500 FH lost to Alco by only 6-0. That Camper team went on to win state.

Not expecting an upset, but who knows?

Let's not overlook the fact that kids need video and stats to promote themselves should they have aspirations of playing at the next level. As I watch things play out, it seems FH tries to spread the wealth when they can and offer opportunities for numerous players to capitalize. If you're astute, you may even notice a certain player being featured on an entire drive, but that player will only have minimal opportunities the remainder of the game.
Anyway, it's never wrong to help promote your players by getting them in positions to be successful. BUT, I have witnessed a few occasions that seemed unnecessary and unsportsmanlike. Nobody is perfect. People get caught up in the moment

FH take a knee? Like the JV team trying to punch in another TD on the game's final play the other night? Up 42-7, instead of showing sportsmanship, they rushed to the line of scrimmage with under ten seconds left and quick snapped the ball. Fate denied them as the kid fumbled at the goal line. Of course, college coaches like Michigan's Harbaugh and Penn State's Franklin are terrible role models, always trying to run up the score instead of taking a knee. Whatever happened to teaching young men sportsmanship and class? I guess I am just of a different generation.
FH- Alco is a different beast. Blue wants to talk shit then they'll get what they deserve. I so can't wait for Saturday!

28-17 Sentinels
They aren't controlling either line of scrimmage.

College is 100 percent completely different. Even in college rarely if ever will you see them rush with time running out to push another score in. The sad part is the FH JV team is made of kids that came up in the Allegany Feeder system. They played for Braddock then switched schools this year. FH Varsity the QB and RB/DB played for Braddock which is blue, both decided to go to FH rather than Alco. FH is not a regular 1A school pulling students from both sides. Warriors best players went from Braddock to FH. There should be no expectation for Alco to compete with that. FH should truthfully be able to beat Alco by 50 in football JV and Varsity. How many 1A schools in MD are getting the best players from all feeder schools in the City?
They get very few players from the blue side. Less than 5% I would bet. Unless you have hard facts as to what % of players on FH should be Alco then don't use it as an excuse.

Also, let's not forget all the players Alco has gotten from the red side over the years and also from outside of Cumberland.

Last edited:
I dont have a problem when an opponent has emptied the bench and with 30 seconds left those kids are trying to put up another score.

But I don't like starters in late when the game is already over based on injury intelligence. I'm usually like why is Daniels still carrying the ball when it's 28-0 in the 4th and he has already logged 25 carries (see Briar Woods). I said the same when I see Williams at safety with 2 minutes left and Alco is beating Keyser by 30 points. You could hear both FH and Alco fans asking the same at those games.

Sometimes I think coaches at all levels need an armchair QB on the head phones to point out the obvious about 3 times a game. Coaches get caught up in the game and don't always see the simple obvious things.

I would have to agree ,unless you have been to the school and understand how it works Dunbar and two other schools it might be three now it’s been a while since I’ve been in school drawl from the same building with approximately 2000 or more kids to think of it as the mall And what used to be sears JCPenney’s Bon Ton and Walmart now each kid could pick what school they wanted to go to and build a power house, it’s a little different here, but that’s just my opinion , you had to transfer in time so you could play the following year which I don’t even know if that’s a thing anymore but I do you get where you’re coming from. And I understand why people get mad and with the water down playoffs it is very easy for one school to run away with it each and every year but it is completely different how it used to be and this is the world we live in.. I’m just glad fh has been doing good. I’m happy to finally see alco and mountain ridge coming on strong. Me personally doesn’t matter even if I graduate from forthill if one of our three local teams is playing in the ship I’m rooting for them 110% of the time. Why the hell would we want a school from another district to beat up on Alco county? That’s a bigggg Hell no for me. And why the hell would you want a blow out win every game. Beats me.

FH take a knee? Like the JV team trying to punch in another TD on the game's final play the other night? Up 42-7, instead of showing sportsmanship, they rushed to the line of scrimmage with under ten seconds left and quick snapped the ball. Fate denied them as the kid fumbled at the goal line. Of course, college coaches like Michigan's Harbaugh and Penn State's Franklin are terrible role models, always trying to run up the score instead of taking a knee. Whatever happened to teaching young men sportsmanship and class? I guess I am just of a different generation.
Should FH start taking knees now?

• Haha
Reactions: Waggle Pass
One only has to look to the spring of each year as to one more reason why FH is consistently successful…and…

Reactions: Dwj21
Keys from the first qtr what I saw to turn the game quickly. Alco 4 and very short they hand the ball off instead of qb sneak. FH third and about 25, Alco leaves a receiver wide open. First qtr Alco passes the ball 1 time for about a 30 yard gain, only chance is to throw the ball good qb good receivers and they don’t use them. Alco defense has no idea what is going on. This Allegany team could perform better and give FH a better game without coaches

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT