ADVERTISEMENT

Cathedral Prep - Notes and Quotes

Does anyone remember the last time that Fort Hill lost by that much at the stadium?

Martinsburg
Yea I remember that one 02' I believe to be exact? Just couldnt remember if there was another one between then and now

That was the year Martinsburg had the QB and WR that went to WVU the following year on scholarship. The WR ended up leaving school or losing his scholarship due to marijuana issues if I recall and the QB ended up being a WR that got some decent playing time in the slot.

I was really hoping he would! Obviously coach was confident. I just wanted to be able to tell someone I saw a high school kicker boot one 57 yards, from the left hash.
Here’s 54 from left hash last year... he’s was officially named an all-American this year. He’s in the top 2 of the entire country if I’m not mistaken

Definitely will effect his kick. When he was just kicking he had time to properly warm-up his leg and mentally prepare. Also, it looked like they were out of sink lining up and getting ready for the fg

It me or is FH getting the plays in late? Consistently breaking the huddle with 9 or 10 seconds on the play clock. Having to use time outs in order not to get a delay of game penalty.

There is this new thing called the expanded playoffs in Maryland of which I elaborated on in the original post. It now allows teams to schedule up without much of a penalty. That is why FH will return the game to Erie. If we did not have this new system FH would never have scheduled ECP in the first place.

My point is that absolutely FH needed to bump up their schedule. A better bump that makes sense would have been against public schools aforementioned like Linganore, Damascus, Oakdale, Middletown, Walkersville, etc. as opposed to competitive private catholic schools. Those options were not available. Only the Cathedral Preps and Calvert Halls of the world were and so FH took it knowing full well what they were getting into.

At the same time playing devil's advocate...now FH knows what it feels like for 85% of the teams they have played the last six years. Putting running clocks on an ungodly amount of teams by halftime. And then we wonder why nobody who is less competitive wants to play FH. Playing someone bigger and better has rarely been a two way street. But again, the new playoffs should alleviate this to a degree. You will see this for most everyone across the board I believe. Just look at the new WestMAC league that includes all sports.
Fairmont sr.. or bluefield... keep them in mind.. say sr is right on par with fh.. imo

The guy cares about his kids and he is emotional about his program. They got their block knocked off last night and he is upset about it. My advice to my old friend is take the focus off the critics and put it on giving credit to his opponent and his team for battling until the end. that's all a post game should sound like anyway. anything more your just opening the door to further criticism, as such that he has been given from many on this forum.
I couldn’t agree more and that’s almost exactly what I told him too

I didn’t hear Coach Appels interview on the radio after the game, but I did hear he was crying about playing this team similar to the speech after the Friendship game. Hope it’s not true, if so he shouldn’t interview after losing lol
It does show very poor sportsmanship that you can't just accept your were out coached, out played, no matter who the opponent was. That is not being a role model for your players. After all these years and the criticisms of these post game loss interviews, you would have thought he'd learned his lesson. This does NOT mean he's a horrible person or bad coach in my opinion, it just shows that he's human and sometimes needs a little humility.

Said this before and I'll say it again. I have never liked the interviews, on ANY level, immediately after the game. The emotions of the game are still too fresh for rational comment. Especially for someone that closely involved in the contest. Appel wears his heart on his sleeve anyway so for him it's just magnified. People wonder why Belecheck gives short, testy answers.

It does show very poor sportsmanship that you can't just accept your were out coached, out played, no matter who the opponent was. That is not being a role model for your players. After all these years and the criticisms of these post game loss interviews, you would have thought he'd learned his lesson. This does NOT mean he's a horrible person or bad coach in my opinion, it just shows that he's human and sometimes needs a little humility.
It has nothing to do with poor sportsmanship. It has everything to do with being competitive and feeling for your kids

It has nothing to do with poor sportsmanship. It has everything to do with being competitive and feeling for your kids
Whining in public is never about being competitive. And you cant say its about feeling for the kids when he's gone after them during the interviews.
You wont be excommunicated from FH for not thinking Appel is the second coming.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Whining in public is never about being competitive. And you cant say its about feeling for the kids when he's gone after them during the interviews.
onering you and i both know it's like talking to a brick wall with some of these people. i'm a fh fan till the end, but i can see when he goes too far or does something that isn't cool, and just admit it...i still think he's all around one of the best coaches the city has ever seen.
those who try to constantly make excuses for him are the ones to blame for him continuing this behavior. if they would, as you say, realize they won't be excommunicated and actually think for themselves instead of following the herd, they could actually help him by not condoning the behavior.

onering you and i both know it's like talking to a brick wall with some of these people. i'm a fh fan till the end, but i can see when he goes too far or does something that isn't cool, and just admit it...i still think he's all around one of the best coaches the city has ever seen.
those who try to constantly make excuses for him are the ones to blame for him continuing this behavior. if they would, as you say, realize they won't be excommunicated and actually think for themselves instead of following the herd, they could actually help him by not condoning the behavior.
And that's all people are trying to say... no one is accusing him of being the anti-Christ or that it even makes him a bad coach, but any criticism gets met with attacks... outside of the call to go for two in the finals against Dunbar when kicking would have sealed the game no one has said more than the ever-repeated, "FH should probably throw more often" in criticism of his X's and O's

You win with class, you lose with class... losing with class doesn't mean you like losing.

More noise from people who are either jealous or have no clue about the work that goes in to running such a successful program

And that's all people are trying to say... no one is accusing him of being the anti-Christ or that it even makes him a bad coach, but any criticism gets met with attacks... outside of the call to go for two in the finals against Dunbar when kicking would have sealed the game no one has said more than the ever-repeated, "FH should probably throw more often" in criticism of his X's and O's

You win with class, you lose with class... losing with class doesn't mean you like losing.

Compassion and volatility are sometimes confused: in Appel's case, his volatility is simply excused. It is as though the long paradigm shift to FH was all his doing. As the schools shrunk to 1A and it took fewer and fewer parents moving and shifting their kids to FH, Appel was given credit for establishing a Mecca: he was actually the beneficiary of it.

Is Appel a good coach? Well sure. Could he run a program at a higher level where you had to have a balanced offense to win.... haven't seen that talent displayed yet: perchance his best fit would be working with O and D lines at a small college, while managing the weight room.

And... this whole genius aura about being up in the booth versus down on the field with his team.... ugh, what the hell is he really accomplishing at this level. How did it help him out last Thursday? It didn't and it doesn't. I think it's just another manifestation of self. All he needs is a fedora to complete the image.

When Appel accuses folks of being FH haters.... ugh.... guy... maybe it's just you.

Last edited:
I was very disappointed in not seeing any adjustments made on both sides of the ball. The pass was working on offense and FH didn't stick with it. Defensively to the untrained eye it looked like FH got shredded. To me it looked more like the defense wasn't put in a position to succeed rather than not succeeding. 2 easy adjustments that may have not stopped their offense but could have atleast slowed it down, would have been to use 2 safties for pass support. Also, I can't understand why FH's best cover corner wasn't playing on their best receiver?

Compassion and volatility are sometimes confused: in Appel's case, his volatility is simply excused. It is as though the long paradigm shift to FH was all his doing. As the schools shrunk to 1A and it took fewer and fewer parents moving and shifting their kids to FH, Appel was given credit for establishing a Mecca: he was actually the beneficiary of it.

Is Appel a good coach? Well sure. Could he run a program at a higher level where you had to have a balanced offense to win.... haven't seen that talent displayed yet: perchance his best fit would be working with O and D lines at a small college, while managing the weight room.

And... this whole genius aura about being up in the booth versus down on the field with his team.... ugh, what the hell is he really accomplishing at this level. How did it help him out last Thursday? It didn't and it doesn't. I think it's just another manifestation of self. All he needs is a fedora to complete the image.

When Appel accuses folks of being FH haters.... ugh.... guy... maybe it's just you.
Actually him not being on the field has accomplished a lot. He can see the whole field, make the calls and adjustments that need to be made pre play and he doesn’t get 15 yard penalties for yelling standing in booth that he would in the field.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I was very disappointed in not seeing any adjustments made on both sides of the ball. The pass was working on offense and FH didn't stick with it. Defensively to the untrained eye it looked like FH got shredded. To me it looked more like the defense wasn't put in a position to succeed rather than not succeeding. 2 easy adjustments that may have not stopped their offense but could have atleast slowed it down, would have been to use 2 safties for pass support. Also, I can't understand why FH's best cover corner wasn't playing on their best receiver?
That was one of the few halftime adjustments that they made. They put brevan on #35 and moved the other corner to cover #9. Prep QB proceeded to continued to pick on the corner that was now covering #9.

That was one of the few halftime adjustments that they made. They put brevan on #35 and moved the other corner to cover #9. Prep QB proceeded to continued to pick on the corner that was now covering #9.

I didn't see this adjustment made at all. I may be wrong but from watching the game live and watching the replay all I see is Brevan on #35 the whole game while #9 torches the defense pass play after pass play..

See. This is constructive and good points. This is the kind of criticism that’s fair. I think what peeve a lot of people including the coach is the personal stuff that comes his way.

Actually him not being on the field has accomplished a lot. He can see the whole field, make the calls and adjustments that need to be made pre play and he doesn’t get 15 yard penalties for yelling standing in booth that he would in the field.

Well, I can understand him being up in a booth to prevent his volatility from getting 15 yard penalties. As far as the other stuff, he isn't facing complex offenses and he doesn't have a complex defense to change to even he were facing a complex offense.

I didn't see this adjustment made at all. I may be wrong but from watching the game live and watching the replay all I see is Brevan on #35 the whole game while #9 torches the defense pass play after pass play..
#35 torched them in the first. FH made an adjustment to put brevan on him but had to take him off of #9.

Lack of ability to rush the passer hurt them badly

#35 torched them in the first. FH made an adjustment to put brevan on him but had to take him off of #9.

Please go to commercial video services and watch the replay.. Stubbs was on #35 from start to finish. There was no adjustment from the very first Cathedral possession Stubbs was on #35. Unless I'm watching a different FH/Cathedral Prep game.

See. This is constructive and good points. This is the kind of criticism that’s fair. I think what peeve a lot of people including the coach is the personal stuff that comes his way.

stuff that comes his way...

...is a response to the actions of the coach.

At the very least I would have put a little cushion between the receiver and DB after they had just torched me deep over and over.

Tight bump and run with zero pressure is a complete recipe for disaster, which it was. Never got out of it. Not once. I could hear Helmick screaming from the stands to back off the receiver. 5 seconds later 70 yard TD.

Reactions: bigsavage
At the very least I would have put a little cushion between the receiver and DB after they had just torched me deep over and over.

Tight bump and run with zero pressure is a complete recipe for disaster, which it was. Never got out of it. Not once.

Totally agree..

Tight bump and run with zero pressure is a complete recipe for disaster, which it was. Never got out of it. Not once. I could hear Helmick screaming from the stands to back off the receiver. 5 seconds later 70 yard TD.

But da coach had already radioed in from da booth tight bump and run cause he can see it all....

Actually him not being on the field has accomplished a lot. He can see the whole field, make the calls and adjustments that need to be made pre play - hbpass2

I love the X and O discussion. Nothing personal that's what all fans do even with NFL coaches.

The defensive game plan for FH was fine at first. It was the inability to adjust once they realized this team could crush them throwing. FH did try different personnel but none of that mattered given what coaches were asking the FH kids to do. MucH like the one dimensional offense the defense obviously is limited with their schemes. They don't have a blitz package, never seen them run zone, they live and die with the same scheme. Watching the Saints run a slot blitz last night to beat da Cowboys left me wondering how hard it to teach 17 year old kids this.

FH couldon't beat CP regardless. They had too many athletes. But the coaching grade defensively for FH this game gets a big fat F. I would not say McKenney leaving hurt because he didnt call the coverage . The hope is they learned from the loss just like they did the last time they lost Keyser. Although that was more personnel changes.

FH Kids cannot cover receivers like that. Yet alone put them in tight man with zero pressure all day and BOOM! Maybe coaches felt it didn't matter as they could not beat this team anyway. It's the same mentality I saw at Friendship. So Appel is the coach I want. He just has shortcomings like every good coach and know it all armchair QB like me. Yes he is human. Still very thankful he is the FH coach.

FH pass defense is sacking the qb, they weren’t getting the sacks. Have they ever played good pass defense? Usually they get to the qb

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT