ADVERTISEMENT

Cathedral Prep - Notes and Quotes

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Reality check tonight. The big concern for Big Red since day 1 in 2019 has been defense with 11 new faces plugged in. The Erie Cathedral Prep (ECP) offense bombed FH through the sky with eerie precision. Talking to the ECP head coach after the game I made the remark that his QB was dropping dimes on those deep post routes being run by their gifted receivers. He remarked back that was the best his QB has ever played. It was a tough situation for FH. They just don't have the bodies to match up one on one in tight man coverage especially when a QB of this caliber has all day to throw the ball. I don't think he was sacked or even hurried one time tonight until the subs came in. Throw after throw 30, 40, 70 yards deep looked easy. ECP scored 7 touchdowns. The first 6 of them were through the air. There was nothing FH players or coaches could do to stop it. Sure, they might have tried different coverage or different personnel but it would not have mattered. ECP was just too good throwing the ball for FH to have a chance. The mismatches on the receivers combined with a total lack of pass rush was impossible to overcome.

Other than that aspect FH didn't really do so bad. It looked like we might get a good game when FH scored with about 50 seconds left in the 2nd quarter to cut the game to 27-14. But about 40 seconds and 3 long passes later, ECP went to the locker room with another touchdown to pretty much slam the door on a comeback hope.

Again, on the defensive side for FH they started 8 underclassmen tonight. The Sentinels had two sophomores and a junior starting in the secondary. Two of them had never started a varsity football game. This just was not the best time nor the best team to get that honor. In due respect to those young men, there was nobody on the FH sideline they could have plugged in and changed the outcome.

After talking to a few FH coaches after the game, they as well as I all felt this team was a few notches better than the Florida team that came here. They had better line play and a better defense. Much quicker and bigger up front. Much better coached. Much better depth. The scary part is that the ECP head coach, and a couple of their fans, have told me on a few occasions that ECP is going to be really good the next couple of years. This is not a series that is really beneficial to FH in that regards. I think most everybody in Cumberland is much happier to see FH play better competition. But in my mind they are probably better off taking on a Linganore or Damascus type public school team if they are to match up with somebody on a higher level. The bottom line is that Cathedral Prep is a private school that competes toe-to-toe with other nationally ranked private schools who win state championships in Ohio at the Division I highest level. The good news is that I did not sense in the least any pressure or massive disappointment from our coaches in regards to the loss or the sweating out the playoff scenario now. So, so refreshing. And I was told FH had kids crying after the loss, which I love to see in regards to the human spirit of competition.

Can FH get better from a game like this? I don't know how they can't get better. It's obvious they have a long way to go defensively. I would not be surprised if we see a few kids get pushed on the offensive line and now have to fight more for their starting role. Too many linemen not blocking someone. Or too many cover men not covering somebody. It's one thing to get beat. It's another to just not block or cover someone. The problem is that these next 5 games FH is easily a 4-8 touchdown favorite. They won't likely get tested again until way late in the season or even deep into the playoff run. But then again, I guess that is why you play the games. On top of that, none of the remaining opponents have a passing arsenal or even use the pass much if at all. If I could play armchair QB it would just be the same story, different year. Throw the ball more against these out manned opponents. King has a nice touch when given the opportunity. But that is not what FH does. I get it.

This ECP game is a reminder that FH is a 1A public school. That is where they belong despite dominating it. They have 340 males in the school. They do not recruit. They do not have a bunch of transfers. They have built a winning culture where their students just want to participate and be a part of it. No more, no less.

Closing...one of my favorite quotes from this game I shared with the radio and TV folks in the pregame press box. When I was trying to put this game together in early August, Coach Appel was complaining about this team being exceptional and we should not have to compete with really good private schools, etc. I had Coach Mischler doing the same to me like, you guys run that wing T, I don't have enough linemen for you guys, etc., etc. When I went back to Coach Appel to tell him, "I think their coach is fearful of playing Fort Hill." Coach Appel replied, "That's why he is a good coach!!!"

Anyway, it was good to be at home finally despite having to get up tomorrow for a Friday work day. Now it's on the road yet again next Friday.

Last edited:
The problem is that these next 5 games FH is easily a 4-8 touchdown favorite. They won't likely get tested again until way late in the season or even deep into the playoff run.

That's (one of) the double-edged sword with scheduling these games... everybody wants to see them, and they are great tests and learning experiences, but you aren't going to schedule one week 7 or 8 now with the new nine-game format for fear of "getting beat up" by a physical team going into Homecoming (well, that use to be a concern for FH; not so much now) or the playoffs. But you play one in the first half of the season, and by the time you have to face something like that again 8 games later you run the risk losing what you gained from it.

I agree that another notch down from that level is where FH should aim to find an opponent. Of course it seems that the closer a team is to FH's level, the less they actually want to play FH. At least for teams outside the area.

The problem is that these next 5 games FH is easily a 4-8 touchdown favorite. They won't likely get tested again until way late in the season or even deep into the playoff run.

That's (one of) the double-edged sword with scheduling these games... everybody wants to see them, and they are great tests and learning experiences, but you aren't going to schedule one week 7 or 8 now with the new nine-game format for fear of "getting beat up" by a physical team going into Homecoming (well, that use to be a concern for FH; not so much now) or the playoffs. But you play one in the first half of the season, and by the time you have to face something like that again 8 games later you run the risk losing what you gained from it.

I agree that another notch down from that level is where FH should aim to find an opponent. Of course it seems that the closer a team is to FH's level, the less they actually want to play FH. At least for teams outside the area.

I would agree with the exception that injuries happen when they happen. I am not a believer that the better the opponent, the more apt you are to getting kids banged up. I have seen FH players drop like flies playing Mountain Ridge and Silver Oak.

I would agree with the exception that injuries happen when they happen. I am not a believer that the better the opponent, the more apt you are to getting kids banged up. I have seen FH players drop like flies playing Mountain Ridge and Silver Oak.
Oh, I agree for the most part. I wasn't talking about injuries so much as just getting worn down by a physical opponent. You can win a game by 3 touchdowns, but a team can still be made to pay for every yard. Hell, I bet you there are plenty of ECP players that are beat up and it was a 5-score difference. That's the way FH plays.

It's always been Allegany, so it doesn't matter, but I'd be damned if I'd want to schedule FH as an opponent in the final week of the regular season even if they were down. You get hit and you get hit often. Those Allegany first round loses to teams they should have beat had something to do with what FH does to teams when they play them. I wouldn't want to play Keyser for the same reason.

There were a couple years that Allegany had to play those types of games with Southern the week before Homecoming that didn't do them any favors.

It's like Apollo Creed's manager said in Rocky II, "He's all wrong for us, baby. I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man kept coming after you. Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

I don't need no teams like that late in my schedule lol.

That comment about the 2017 team is right on target. They were flat when they came out and they were not the same team as they were mid season. Fort Hill typically gets better and better as the season wears on.

Reactions: Blueandgold45
Agreed this team is out of FH's league but be that as it may, I would hope FH would honor the contract and make the trip to Erie next year. One of the complaints against FH's program (from the haters as Coach Apple calls them) going back decades is that when they get dominated, they drop that team (Friendship Academy as a recent example, Martinsburg an often used example by FH critics). FH fans get upset when local teams like Frankfort drop FH after getting shellacked by 40+ points in consecutive years. Alco has lost to FH by 30+ points how many times over the past two decades? Yet they keep playing them. No one likes to get their butts whopped year in and year out and FH now knows how it feels but they need to honor the contract even if they have no chance of winning the game next year. Sadly, I have a feeling they will find a reason not to make the trip to Erie next year and that's too bad. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Agreed this team is out of FH's league but be that as it may, I would hope FH would honor the contract and make the trip to Erie next year. One of the complaints against FH's program (from the haters as Coach Apple calls them) going back decades is that when they get dominated, they drop that team (Friendship Academy as a recent example, Martinsburg an often used example by FH critics). FH fans get upset when local teams like Frankfort drop FH after getting shellacked by 40+ points in consecutive years. Alco has lost to FH by 30+ points how many times over the past two decades? Yet they keep playing them. No one likes to get their butts whopped year in and year out and FH now knows how it feels but they need to honor the contract even if they have no chance of winning the game next year. Sadly, I have a feeling they will find a reason not to make the trip to Erie next year and that's too bad. I hope I'm wrong about that.
I hope that they honor the deal, but if they don't then I understand. If Prep really is going to be 5 TD's better than FH on a year in year out basis there is little reason for FH to play them

Reality check tonight. The big concern for Big Red since day 1 in 2019 has been defense with 11 new faces plugged in. The Erie Cathedral Prep (ECP) offense torched FH through the sky with eerie precision. Talking to the ECP head coach after the game I made the remark that his QB was dropping dimes on those deep post routes being run by their gifted receivers. He remarked back that was the best his QB has ever played. It was a tough situation for FH. They just don't have the bodies to match up one on one in tight man coverage especially when a QB of this caliber has all day to throw the ball. I don't think he was sacked or even hurried one time tonight until the subs came in. Throw after throw 30, 40, 70 yards deep looked easy. ECP scored 7 touchdowns. The first 6 of them were through the air. There was nothing FH players or coaches could do to stop it. Sure, they might have tried different coverage or different personnel but it would not have mattered. ECP was just too good throwing the ball for FH to have a chance. The mismatches on the receivers combined with a total lack of pass rush was impossible to overcome.

Other than that aspect FH didn't really do so bad. It looked like we might get a good game when FH scored with about 50 seconds left in the 2nd quarter to cut the game to 27-14. But about 40 seconds and 3 long passes later, ECP went to the locker room with another touchdown to pretty much slam the door on a comeback hope.

Again, on the defensive side for FH they started 8 underclassmen tonight. The Sentinels had two sophomores and a junior starting in the secondary. Two of them had never started a varsity football game. This just was not the best time nor the best team to get that honor. In due respect to those young men, there was nobody on the FH sideline they could have plugged in and changed the outcome.

After talking to a few FH coaches after the game, they as well as I all felt this team was a few notches better than the Florida team that came here. They had better line play and a better defense. Much quicker and bigger up front. Much better coached. Much better depth. The scary part is that the ECP head coach, and a couple of their fans, have told me on a few occasions that ECP is going to be really good the next couple of years. This is not a series that is really beneficial to FH in that regards. I think most everybody in Cumberland is much happier to see FH play better competition. But in my mind they are probably better off taking on a Linganore or Damascus type public school team if they are to match up with somebody on a higher level. The bottom line is that Cathedral Prep is a private school that competes toe-to-toe with other nationally ranked private schools who win state championships in Ohio at the Division I highest level. The good news is that I did not sense in the least any pressure or massive disappointment from our coaches in regards to the loss or the sweating out the playoff scenario now. So, so refreshing. And I was told FH had kids crying after the loss, which I love to see in regards to the human spirit of competition.

Can FH get better from a game like this? I don't know how they can't get better. It's obvious they have a long way to go defensively. I would not be surprised if we see a few kids get pushed on the offensive line and now have to fight more for their starting role. Too many linemen not blocking someone. Or too many cover men not covering somebody. It's one thing to get beat. It's another to just not block or cover someone. The problem is that these next 5 games FH is easily a 4-8 touchdown favorite. They won't likely get tested again until way late in the season or even deep into the playoff run. But then again, I guess that is why you play the games. On top of that, none of the remaining opponents have a passing arsenal or even use the pass much if at all. If I could play armchair QB it would just be the same story, different year. Throw the ball more against these out manned opponents. King has a nice touch when given the opportunity. But that is not what FH does. I get it.

This ECP game is a reminder that FH is a 1A public school. That is where they belong despite dominating it. They have 340 males in the school. They do not recruit. They do not have a bunch of transfers. They have built a winning culture where their students just want to participate and be a part of it. No more, no less.

Closing...one of my favorite quotes from this game I shared with the radio and TV folks in the pregame press box. When I was trying to put this game together in early August, Coach Appel was complaining about this team being exceptional and we should not have to compete with really good private schools, etc. I had Coach Mischler doing the same to me like, you guys run that wing T, I don't have enough linemen for you guys, etc., etc. When I went back to Coach Appel to tell him, "I think their coach is fearful of playing Fort Hill." Coach Appel replied, "That's why he is a good coach!!!"

Anyway, it was good to be at home finally despite having to get up tomorrow for a Friday work day. Now it's on the road yet again next Friday.
Fort Hill was a few shifts on offense away in the first half from keeping this game competitive. The dropped pass in the endzone, the field goal(looked tipped but I'm not sure), maybe calling another pass on that first drive. However, that defense did not look ready to play in the slightest in my eyes. Now I dont know if it was because the Prep kids were that far outside their realm of talent or whatever, but the whole team looked a little flat to start. No pass rush and no coverage is a bad mixture.

I didn’t get to catch this game, but seeing that the defense is young and the secondary rather untested coming in, not to mention how Morgantown scorched FH on big plays a few weeks back indicating issues, this defeat is going to help the team in the long run. No quit with this crew, top to bottom.

I didn’t hear Coach Appels interview on the radio after the game, but I did hear he was crying about playing this team similar to the speech after the Friendship game. Hope it’s not true, if so he shouldn’t interview after losing lol

The guy cares about his kids and he is emotional about his program. They got their block knocked off last night and he is upset about it. My advice to my old friend is take the focus off the critics and put it on giving credit to his opponent and his team for battling until the end. that's all a post game should sound like anyway. anything more your just opening the door to further criticism, as such that he has been given from many on this forum.

I didn’t hear Coach Appels interview on the radio after the game, but I did hear he was crying about playing this team similar to the speech after the Friendship game. Hope it’s not true, if so he shouldn’t interview after losing lol

Thats not how I heard it. He did make a comment to the tune of people liking to see FH lose, so they were at least happy tonight. (I'm paraphrasing)

Reactions: cumbfanatic
The guy cares about his kids and he is emotional about his program. They got their block knocked off last night and he is upset about it. My advice to my old friend is take the focus off the critics and put it on giving credit to his opponent and his team for battling until the end. that's all a post game should sound like anyway. anything more your just opening the door to further criticism, as such that he has been given from many on this forum.

The guy cares about his kids and he is emotional about his program.

I have pretty much found that folks who care about kids, generally care about kids in general. Hell... every selfish, self-centered coach I ever met cared about his program and how his kids performed.

When a coach believes that every local school should line up and get beaten by three scores while having an emotional meltdown over having to face a similar fate.... well, what at issue isn't caring about kids.... it's caring about one's self, one's record as a coach.

.... And, any criticism of the coach's program makes one a hater because it's all personal. It's all about the coach.

It shouldn't be. What I saw last night was the FH team playing their hearts out to the bitter end. You should praise your team, praise the other team and thank them for making the long trip. Everything short of that is personal.... All-about-me as the coach bullshit.

Reactions: OneRing

"Going back decades," yet you name one team in the last decade. FH did drop Martinsburg back in 06, but then picked them back up in 2010 and 2011 for an honored home and home contract. What other teams has FH consistently dropped?

Thats not how I heard it. He did make a comment to the tune of people liking to see FH lose, so they were at least happy tonight. (I'm paraphrasing)

As though all the local teams he beats the shit out of should like losing to FH all the time. Something like that needed to be said??? Quite a bitter tone. "At least their happy..." or some such. Geez.... Low fuggin' rent that.

its a contract. you honor it. its that simple. if they don't honor it, that's BS.

If you read Appel's comments in the newspaper this morning, and Todd H's comments above: "The scary part is that the ECP head coach, and a couple of their fans, have told me that ECP is going to be really good the next couple of years. This is not a series that is really beneficial to FH in that regards." There's no way FH is going to Erie next year to lose by 50.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
If you read Appel's comments in the newspaper this morning, and Todd H's comments above: "The scary part is that the ECP head coach, and a couple of their fans, have told me that ECP is going to be really good the next couple of years. This is not a series that is really beneficial to FH in that regards." There's no way FH is going to Erie next year to lose by 50.

At least ECP put the brakes on. In almost every possession they could have thrown a bomb for a touchdown on the first snap.

I totally agree they could have really made it allot worse. FH just doesn't have a good defense at all. As for going to Erie next year if they try to weasel out then shame on them.
When FH the defense finds its groove and FH goes to Annapolis for another shot at a state title posters like you will be the first to say how great their defense is and how the defense is what has made the difference through their playoff run. They played a great offensive team. The sky is not falling on the fort hill defense

"Going back decades," yet you name one team in the last decade. FH did drop Martinsburg back in 06, but then picked them back up in 2010 and 2011 for an honored home and home contract. What other teams has FH consistently dropped?
2009 and 2010*

When FH the defense finds its groove and FH goes to Annapolis for another shot at a state title posters like you will be the first to say how great their defense is and how the defense is what has made the difference through their playoff run. They played a great offensive team. The sky is not falling on the fort hill defense
We arent really going to know about the defense because they arent going to be playing any quality competition until semis. I'm not sure how this D will look

There is this new thing called the expanded playoffs in Maryland of which I elaborated on in the original post. It now allows teams to schedule up without much of a penalty. That is why FH will return the game to Erie. If we did not have this new system FH would never have scheduled ECP in the first place.

My point is that absolutely FH needed to bump up their schedule. A better bump that makes sense would have been against public schools aforementioned like Linganore, Damascus, Oakdale, Middletown, Walkersville, etc. as opposed to competitive private catholic schools. Those options were not available. Only the Cathedral Preps and Calvert Halls of the world were and so FH took it knowing full well what they were getting into.

At the same time playing devil's advocate...now FH knows what it feels like for 85% of the teams they have played the last six years. Putting running clocks on an ungodly amount of teams by halftime. And then we wonder why nobody who is less competitive wants to play FH. Playing someone bigger and better has rarely been a two way street. But again, the new playoffs should alleviate this to a degree. You will see this for most everyone across the board I believe. Just look at the new WestMAC league that includes all sports.

Last edited:
I've been to every game this season they are not a good defensive football team if they get better then great i really hope they do because right now they are bad. Offense is solid defense needs allot of work. By the way its week 4 i wouldn't talk about Annapolis till maybe say week 12

Reactions: towpath94
I've been to every game this season they are not a good defensive football team if they get better then great i really hope they do because right now they are bad. Offense is solid defense needs allot of work. By the way its week 4 i wouldn't talk about Annapolis till maybe say week 12
I said the same exact thing about the FH offense last year this same exact time. It was atrocious. Let's hope the same thing happens. Maybe Southern or Alco can accuse FH of using wire taps to intercept their play calls.

I hope you are right This was a humbling experience. They were a better team in every phase. If you use it to better yourself then I'm okay with it. If you stick to what you do because it works 90% of the time and refuse to grow then you are wasting your time.
I saw in the qb what some have said is a tremendous upside. Didn't see it the first three games but saw it last night. There is no reason why they can't build on what he did and the next time you need a passing game it will be there.
If you go back to 0 passes or 1 or 2, then you aren't preparing for the game down the road that you will need it.
A thought on the qb being the kicker. If you really are going to expect him to kick a 50 yarder, or more, call timeout, let the kid warm up on the sideline like most kickers are doing the whole time the offense has the ball. You can't expect him to just run a play and then the next play kick it further than a lot of pro kickers can. .

I hope you are right This was a humbling experience. They were a better team in every phase. If you use it to better yourself then I'm okay with it. If you stick to what you do because it works 90% of the time and refuse to grow then you are wasting your time.
I saw in the qb what some have said is a tremendous upside. Didn't see it the first three games but saw it last night. There is no reason why they can't build on what he did and the next time you need a passing game it will be there.
If you go back to 0 passes or 1 or 2, then you aren't preparing for the game down the road that you will need it.
A thought on the qb being the kicker. If you really are going to expect him to kick a 50 yarder, or more, call timeout, let the kid warm up on the sideline like most kickers are doing the whole time the offense has the ball. You can't expect him to just run a play and then the next play kick it further than a lot of pro kickers can. .

I was shocked FH lined up for a 57 yard field goal. Most NFL teams would question that distance, but it seemed like there was no hesitation from the FH staff.

With what is going at TJ right now, I anticipate most of the Frederick County schools to have an unanticipated open date next year and possibly for a few years following. It would be great to see Fort Hill get on to some of the Frederick County schedules. I think it would be beneficial for all parties.

FH must not break this contract. Winning is important and the goal, but losing is part of any sport and part of life. Honor is important. Make the trip, play hard, play fair and have no regrets.

It’s good that some kids were crying; most competitive people have been in that situation and emotional at some point in sports. There will be more difficult and more important situations for each of those players to deal with throughout life and this adds to their character.

I don’t remember having a close relationship to Coach Calhoun or do I remember any of his players during my time having one, but besides the classic halftime locker room rants that he gave when he was pissed off that fired us up, I do remember the speech he gave during the week of the Dematha matchup and prior to that Week 9 game. At that point, we were just upset by Southern 8-6 and and the playoffs looked slim even if we beat Allegany at Homecoming.

Calhoun basically said: Look, we are going lose this game and will not make the playoffs no matter what we do against Alco, we blew with the Southern game, but go out there and have fun playing this caliber of team. Go out there, have fun, play hard. That has always stuck with me. Players still felt the pressure, at least one player threw up before the game because of nerves and others were anxious but did not admit it, but the anvil was lifted from the team. It wasn’t that expectations were less, we were still expected to execute, but whatever happens, happens. We went out and played Dematha toe-to-toe, put up more offense than they did and played them hard. If we did not shoot ourselves in the foot twice with turnovers the game could have come down until the last few minutes. We lost by 18 points but we were never out of it until the 4th Qtr.

Side note: It turned out that during Friday night before Homecoming an upset or a few upsets down state occurred and beating Alco got us the 8th seed. We went on to lose in the State Title game but when I talk to old team mates from that year, one of the best memories was playing the big private school that we knew would were going to lose to.

Last edited:
The head coach at Cathedral Prep was very complimentary of the fans, the pride, the atmosphere and the location. He legit stated they loved the trip and would even consider returning here for the rematch next year.

Reactions: papride1
Yea I remember that one 02' I believe to be exact? Just couldnt remember if there was another one between then and now
Don't believe so. 45-14 at Martinsburg about 10 years ago. And then blown to bits at Keyser back in what '12?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT