ADVERTISEMENT

BW

Looks like BW won't be ducking too many challenges as they are taking on Oak Hill this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
Cole Anthony the #1 player in the 2019 class transferred to Oak Hill for his senior year. They think Oak Hill has a real good chance of winning the National Title this year

SCHEDULE
Date Opponent Result
12/1TBA Georgetown Prep
Morgan Wotton Classic at Bishop O'Connell HS
Preview Game
12/76:00p Bishop Shanahan
State College High School Tip Off Tournament
Preview Game
12/8TBA TBA
State College High School Tip Off Tournament
12/117:30p Mercersburg Academy
Bishop Walsh High School, Main Gym
Preview Game
12/187:30p @ Southern
Southern Garrett Co High School, Main Gym
Preview Game
12/207:00p Mountain Ridge
Preview Game
12/23TBA Abraham Lincoln
West Chester, PA
Preview Game
12/27TBA TBA
Slam Dunk To The Beach - Lewes, Delaware
12/28TBA TBA
12/29TBA TBA
1/56:45p Tucker County
Preview Game
1/77:30p @ Allegany
Allegany High School, Main Gym
Preview Game
1/117:15p TBA
Rock The Ribbon at Rock Bride HS, VA
1/127:30p Calvary Christian Academy
Preview Game
1/217:30p @ Hampshire
Hampshire High School, Gym
Preview Game
1/246:00p Johnstown Christian
Preview Game
1/287:30p @ Fort Hill
Fort Hill High School, Main Gym
Preview Game
1/31TBA TBA
Bob Kirk Invitational at Bishop Walsh HS
2/1TBA TBA
2/2TBA TBA
2/47:30p Northern
Preview Game
2/67:30p Goretti
Preview Game
2/87:30p Fort Hill
Preview Game
2/146:00p Frankfort
Preview Game
2/156:30p @ Johnstown Christian Preview Game
2/197:30p @ Keyser Preview Game
2/227:30p @ Lighthouse Christian Academy Preview Game
2/28TBA TBA
MD Private School Championship
3/7TBA TBA
Alhambra Catholic Invitational Tournament
3/8TBA TBA
3/9TBA TBA

Reactions: otnorot
Looks like this is the schedule for this year, find a few games a little head scratching but a nice mix of local schools and challenges on the road at several tournaments. Looking forward to seeing who they bring in for the Bob Kirk tournament. Little disappointed in the lack of tip notch home games but hopefully that changes in the next year or two. Should also note the schedule is from Maxpreps so take it with a grain of salt

After seeing some of them play, I will say they will be competitive in the ACIT. They have 2 guys around 6'10, one from Turkey and one Finland, both are unbelievable how they handle the ball and all around play. The most impressive part is they are awesime ppl. I saw the players working with kids and they are great people. The coach is an awesome person as well. The BW tournament the first week of February has a team from Kansas and a team from Utah coming. There will be at least 17 players in the tournament that's listed in the ESPN top 150 players

Last edited:
They have a guard from Arkansas and a player that already signed with VA Tech. The BW tournament the first weekend in February will be good to see

Reactions: loco09
Yavuz Gultekin committed to VA Tech last week. Seniors Callum Baker and Oliver Nkamhoua also have D1 offers. The team from Kansas coming to the tournament is probably Sunrise Christian, they played in the St James tournament last year, they are legit. Honestly there will probably be more talent at the Bob Kirk tournament in February than the ACIT just because they have the ability to invite any team they want.

Yes it is Sunrise. If I hear the names of the schools I will know them a guy told me the teams I can only remember the states they are from. I believe the other school in the tournament is from Philadelphia

Looks like some of the other teams are Wasatch Academy from Utah and LaLumiere from Indiana who were at the ACIT a few years back.

Yes, you are right, those are the teams. Looking at their schedule FH is the only school that plays them twice. The others play them 1 time.

I hope it doesn't, but this whole experiment will probably end badly.

Rhetorical question to think of: How does a top-notch, soon to be BCL (Balt Catholic League) basketball program lead to more students other than the 8-12 on the basketball team?

Also, I've heard the radio station is going to broadcast their games. Imagine that broadcast of BW playing Calvary or Lighthouse.

WTF is BW doing playing all these local and AMAC teams? That is embarrasing. Cannot believe the locals agreed to it. Does BW just want to thump its chest to say look at all these kids from all over the world beating these local kids whose tallest player is 6'1?

I expected nothing less from a Catholic domimated private school. Have no problem with what BW is trYing to do. Go play others who do the same. What a crock of manure.

they play like 7 local games, it will help with gate money for all of the Schools involved.
It doesn't hurt the local Schools at all as everyone makes the playoffs.
Basketball Season for Maryland public Schools is a waste of time anyways, you can go 0-20 and make the playoffs, usually playing just locals does the Teams up here any good as when they get down state and play better competition and athletes it usually goes very bad, to me this could only help them along the way.

they play like 7 local games, it will help with gate money for all of the Schools involved.
Basketball Season for Maryland public Schools is a waste of time anyways, you can go 0-20 and make the playoffs, usually playing just locals does the Teams up here any good as when they get down state and play better competition and athletes it usually goes very bad, to me this could only help them along the way.
So then basketball season is even more of a waste for private schools that have no playoffs.

Brian,
They are playing National Competition. Addition to the schedule above they are going to National Monument Hoopfest on Dec. 16 and on January 19th they are going to NYC to play. It's been mentioned they are playing Oak Hill Academy and the BW tournament is loaded. They play National Powerhouses. I don't think they wanted to remove teams that were already scheduled. If the local teams want to play them then why not. I am sure they will not try to embarrass anyone. The coach seems to be a great guy.

Neutral,

You are right, it may not increase the number of students, but it may. With Nike paying for everything that has to do with BW basketball. The school does not have to put any money out towards bb. They will be making money with ppl attending the games. The BW tournament is 3 days at the school. The school will make money on the gate as well as concessions. Many of the games throughout the year will get large crowds and the gate money as well as concession will goto the school. Also, it's good for the area. When ppl come to watch them play they eat, get gas, etc in Cumberland. There have been many D1 coaches visiting BW including the Georgetown Head Coach just last week.

One Ring,

There is a MD Independent Tournament at the end of the year, Feb. 28 - March 2, which is basically a MD private school playoff championship. Correct wins losses throughout are basically meaningless except for recruiting, rankings, tournament championships etc.

No BW is playing 11 local schools. An entire AMAC Schedule plus the local Christian schools. That is embarrassing.

Why would any recruit want to come here to play those teams 11 times? As I have said before, BW football never played local football teams the last 12 years they had a program. Why not, they had no playoff? Because they didn't want to see their kids be demolished. Get it?

WTF is BW doing playing all these local and AMAC teams? That is embarrasing. Cannot believe the locals agreed to it. Does BW just want to thump its chest to say look at all these kids from all over the world beating these local kids whose tallest player is 6'1?

I expected nothing less from a Catholic domimated private school. Have no problem with what BW is trYing to do. Go play others who do the same. What a crock of manure.

Before you soil yourself at your desk, the schedule was already determined at the local level with games down state and even in PA added more recently.

This is the last year the local schools will play them. Kind of a “yea we will play but this is it.” I don’t think it’s a thumping of the chest as it’s more of a schedule filler so next year they can try and join the BCL.

What’s the funniest thing is last year BW created the SSMAC - small schools mountain athletic conference or whichever.

No BW is playing 11 local schools. An entire AMAC Schedule plus the local Christian schools. That is embarrassing.

Why would any recruit want to come here to play those teams 11 times? As I have said before, BW football never played local football teams the last 12 years they had a program. Why not, they had no playoff? Because they didn't want to see their kids be demolished. Get it?

so they play 11 local Teams? who cares? it's basketball in Cumberland, what is the difference if you lose to Bishop Walsh by 50 or to Dunbar?
This will bring money to these local Schools, the Gym will be packed for these games, there will be more people at the BW vs FH and BW vs Alco games then Alco vs FH this year.
Get Demolished? Football is a little different when there is 40-60 kids compared to 15 this is Basketball there will be 10-12 kids on both teams.
The kids came here to be a part of a program and it's just starting, Nike is paying for it and all of the local Schools will benefit from it with money and like I stated before it won't hurt them for their playoffs like it would in football.
"An entire AMAC Schedule plus the local Christian schools. That is embarrassing. "
Who's supposed to be Embarrassed? a Local School playing another local School that just so happens to bring kids in that will be playing D1 Basketball?

People complain that this school recruits and that school recruits, well yeah it's a Private School and that's what they do, Nobody forces the Public Schools to play them but they are smart because it will bring them MONEY$$$$$$ that's what makes sports these days at every level. Now once in a great while maybe a good local kid will get to play at Walsh as well and get some actual exposure instead of 1 game a year when they were good enough to make it to the State Semi-Finals.

I for one can't wait to see this Team play this season.....

Reactions: Redwhite90
so they play 11 local Teams? who cares? it's basketball in Cumberland, what is the difference if you lose to Bishop Walsh by 50 or to Dunbar?
This will bring money to these local Schools, the Gym will be packed for these games, there will be more people at the BW vs FH and BW vs Alco games then Alco vs FH this year.
Get Demolished? Football is a little different when there is 40-60 kids compared to 15 this is Basketball there will be 10-12 kids on both teams.
The kids came here to be a part of a program and it's just starting, Nike is paying for it and all of the local Schools will benefit from it with money and like I stated before it won't hurt them for their playoffs like it would in football.
"An entire AMAC Schedule plus the local Christian schools. That is embarrassing. "
Who's supposed to be Embarrassed? a Local School playing another local School that just so happens to bring kids in that will be playing D1 Basketball?

People complain that this school recruits and that school recruits, well yeah it's a Private School and that's what they do, Nobody forces the Public Schools to play them but they are smart because it will bring them MONEY$$$$$$ that's what makes sports these days at every level. Now once in a great while maybe a good local kid will get to play at Walsh as well and get some actual exposure instead of 1 game a year when they were good enough to make it to the State Semi-Finals.

I for one can't wait to see this Team play this season.....

The only money coming in is what the BW players get paid for coming here. Aint no money coming in to the public schools. The gym will not be packed anymore than FH beating the tar out of Silver Oak at a footall game. If this were a money maker Hancock would be scheduling Mount St. Joes in hoops. I don't miND going to see BW play another pay-for-play team but to see them play Keyser and Frankfort and FH and Calvary and Northern - seriously? I can see a few local games but 11 of them is BS.

That's a great ad for WCBC. Tune in tonight as the mighty ranked Nike bought Spartans from around the globe take on the Northern Huskies. LOL. That's hidious.

BW had decent football teams. They never played the local schools the last 12 years. The gate money would have been better, no playoffs. It's the same thing.

Just because you want to see local area teams like FH get beat by 80 points in a hoops game vs. a pay-for-play private school doesn't mean others do. That gym will be empty. I hope it is.

11 Local contests? Lighthouse Christian? Seriously?

Last edited:
Reactions: OneRing
The only money coming in is what the BW players get paid for coming here. Aint no money coming in to the public schools. The gym will not be packed anymore than FH beating the tar out of Silver Oak at a footall game. If this were a money maker Hancock would be scheduling Mount St. Joes in hoops. I don't miND going to see BW play another pay-for-play team but to see them play Keyser and Frankfort and FH and Calvary and Northern - seriously? I can see a few local games but 11 of them is BS.

That's a great ad for WCBC. Tune in tonight as the mighty ranked Nike bought Spartans from around the globe take on the Northern Huskies. LOL. That's hidious.

BW had decent football teams. They never played the local schools the last 12 years. The gate money would have been better, no playoffs. It's the same thing.

Gotta agree with Brian. Maybe the gates rise a little at the public schools because of curiosity, but the BW games will not have more people than the Alco-FH game. They won't be competitive enough.

It's sad to see you're still whining like a little bitch.. lol

Reactions: BoyznBlue
They also added another tournament. The "More Than Basketball Invitational" in DC on December 15th. They play Archbishop Carroll from the WCAC. It should be a good match-up. Carroll's record is never great because they have to play DM, PVI, STJ, Gonzaga, O'Connell and McNamara twice a year, but they have a good team and size.

Since the thread got sidetracked a little into the schedule debate as we have seen with FH football for the last 10 years I'll add my 2 cents on the whole situation. I am a little biased as I went to BW and really want to see this succeed. As to the first question from yesterday as to how it helps the school and enrollment well that is quite simple. It doesn't directly. Nobody is going to say im sending my kid to BW because they have a good basketball team. What it does do is bring attention to the school, brings money from tickets, concessions, sponsorships, clinics, etc That money in turn gets put back into the coffers to help with facilities, faculty, curriculum, student aid, etc which does attract new students. The maker space at BW is a great example of a school adapting for the new generation. Honestly BW should have gone this route a decade ago.

As far as the schedule goes, I see both sides, BW dropped larger schools in football bc they couldn't compete and the same argument could be made for the small local schools now in basketball. However, if a few local schools each year want to play and take on a challenge for 1 game who cares, public schools all make the playoffs, it gives them a look at an athletic team they dont play against otherwise until Dunbar in the state tourney. This will probably be the last year BW plays that many local schools and that's fine, i said before it doesn't make much sense for either side other than travel. Last thing BW wants to do is damage relationships with local schools for other sports bc some adult got mad about losing. As stated above the schedule for this year was probably already made before the new coach got here with the local games and it would have been a burden to cancel all of those for both sides to come up with replacements. Although not as tough as with football. Maybe one day it grows to BW having an Elite team and a Varsity team with varsity playing the locals and the other being the travel team. I would like a city series to continue, just one game against each. Two thirds of BW's schedule is against out of town private schools and that will probably increase in the next couple years. I think the local schools will really get up to play BW this year, I look forward to basketball season for the first time in a while.

Last edited:
I don't understand what the complaint is. How is this different from Alco and FH playing Silver Oak and Capitol Christian?
Well I believe you are proving a point...people like bigsavage (and many, many others) are not going to spend time and money to see Silver Oak football games. So I would assume for the same reasons they won't spend time or money to see BW basketball blow outs. They gyms will not be packed, they will be empty. So this whole "great gate money" theory I don't see when it comes to beating local teams by 50-80 points. And that is what the scores will be seeing how bad area basketball has become.

I agree with that Todd to a degree, I think the casual basketball fan may be drawn to a few games, especially the tournament, however, I do agree ain't nobody driving to Romney to see BW beat Hampshire by 75. City games will be well attended but they usually always are anyway. The tournament will do more for ticket sales for BW than playing any of the local teams.

Since the thread got sidetracked a little into the schedule debate as we have seen with FH football for the last 10 years I'll add my 2 cents on the whole situation. I am a little biased as I went to BW and really want to see this succeed. As to the first question from yesterday as to how it helps the school and enrollment well that is quite simple. It doesn't directly. Nobody is going to say im sending my kid to BW because they have a good basketball team. What it does do is bring attention to the school, brings money from tickets, concessions, sponsorships, clinics, etc That money in turn gets put back into the coffers to help with facilities, faculty, curriculum, student aid, etc which does attract new students. The maker space at BW is a great example of a school adapting for the new generation. Honestly BW should have gone this route a decade ago.

As far as the schedule goes, I see both sides, BW dropped larger schools in football bc they couldn't compete and the same argument could be made for the small local schools now in basketball. However, if a few local schools each year want to play and take on a challenge for 1 game who cares, public schools all make the playoffs, it gives them a look at an athletic team they dont play against otherwise until Dunbar in the state tourney. This will probably be the last year BW plays that many local schools and that's fine, i said before it doesn't make much sense for either side other than travel. Last thing BW wants to do is damage relationships with local schools for other sports bc some adult got mad about losing. As stated above the schedule for this year was probably already made before the new coach got here with the local games and it would have been a burden to cancel all of those for both sides to come up with replacements. Although not as tough as with football. Maybe one day it grows to BW having an Elite team and a Varsity team with varsity playing the locals and the other being the travel team. I would like a city series to continue, just one game against each. Two thirds of BW's schedule is against out of town private schools and that will probably increase in the next couple years. I think the local schools will really get up to play BW this year, I look forward to basketball season for the first time in a while.

I have so many questions with this set up. First, why didn't BW start a 2nd basketball team for this season? I keep hearing it will come to that...BW having two teams (a traveling team and a local team). It's very easy to organize, a church league youth team can do it. And a reason I ask is, what becomes of the local kid now at BW who does want to play basketball this year? There is no place for that kid. Does he enroll at Alco, FH or Mtn Ridge? I would have thought it could have very easily been done already for this year. In fact, they could still organize one now this last week in October.

Also, is BW fielding a freshman or JV team this season?

I agree that BW was wise to drop local teams in football after the program started to fall back in the mid-90s, they were getting blown out and demoralized. I would say the same to the basketball teams that choose to play BW now. To say all the local schools that want to take on a challenge with BW basketball who cares, well that is not a challenge. It will be a complete massacre. Area hoops is as low as I ever remember from a competitive standpoint. The guys I know that ref these games have told me the competition level is the worst in area history by a landslide. BW will literally beat everyone like 120-23. I don't see how that is good for either side. It will be like watching BW at the ACIT in 2017 where they lost to DeMatha 100-26 and to Paul VI 90-26. I don't think that challenge was beneficial for BW basketball. In fact, it was after those results that I starting hearing rumblings of BW dropping basketball all together or at least dropping out of their long standing ACIT tradition. I don't wish that on local schools that are already struggling.

So I am going to agree, playing 10 or 11 local teams was a massive stretch even in this being BW's first team trying this Nike Elite status move with D1 recruits from all over the globe. Again, I personally would have started a local team to go along with the travel team for this season. If part of this goal was to promote BW as a school and increase interest and enrollment, having that 2nd basketball team so locals can be a part of it would be a huge step in the process. They could even move kids from team to team for a game or two and let them participate. Kids would love it and give them a feeling like they were contributing to BW basketball hands on. I hope BW moves to this type of set up fast. Otherwise, drop the local schools next year.

Also, it's a good thing private schools do not operate under Title IX restrictions where equal money is spent on both sides of the gender equation.

Last edited:
It's really not that common to do the multiple team thing, as far as I know none of the BCL or WCAC have multiple varsity teams, if BW goes that route and I have no inside knowledge of it the reason it probably wasn't done this year is logistics with the timing of everything trying to get the program off the ground. As for your other questions, they are valid and something I can't answer. I assume they will have at least a JV team

It's really not that common to do the multiple team thing, as far as I know none of the BCL or WCAC have multiple varsity teams, if BW goes that route and I have no inside knowledge of it the reason it probably wasn't done this year is logistics with the timing of everything trying to get the program off the ground. As for your other questions, they are valid and something I can't answer. I assume they will have at least a JV team
I appreciate your feedback and forthright answers. It doesn't seem common to see schools with multiple varsity teams. Although I don't think the BCL or WCAC are playing the entire 1A North in basketball games. Maybe they are and I am unaware. It's just weird to see things like Hampshire and Calvary Christian and a bevy of teams like them on on a BCL schedule. As you said, it's a first year BW thing so I get that.

But after thinking about it, having that 2nd basketball team full of locals would be a GREAT school builder for a place like BW. What a unique situation that would be where the locals play and work along side with the big recruits. A great story that would make, putting BW on another level in my book.

Yes, BW does have a JV team. I heard from BW athletic department that the coach will not cut a player, if they want to play. They lost a lot of seniors last year and the numbers would be very low

Well I believe you are proving a point...people like bigsavage (and many, many others) are not going to spend time and money to see Silver Oak football games. So I would assume for the same reasons they won't spend time or money to see BW basketball blow outs. They gyms will not be packed, they will be empty. So this whole "great gate money" theory I don't see when it comes to beating local teams by 50-80 points. And that is what the scores will be seeing how bad area basketball has become.

I think you're way off on this one. Other than the ACIT I haven't been to a BW game in probably 10 years but I already have the Dec 1st game on my calendar. And barring conflicts with my son's b-ball schedule I'm going to the NYC tournament and the tournament in DC I mentioned previously.

We can re-visit this thread in December but I can guarantee the Southern game on 12/18 will be packed. The Alco game and both FH games will be SRO. The football blowout games don't draw as well because the Wing T isn't an exciting brand of offense for people to watch. Even in blow-outs the BW second team is going to be jumping out of the gym.

I think you're way off on this one. Other than the ACIT I haven't been to a BW game in probably 10 years but I already have the Dec 1st game on my calendar. And barring conflicts with my son's b-ball schedule I'm going to the NYC tournament and the tournament in DC I mentioned previously.

We can re-visit this thread in December but I can guarantee the Southern game on 12/18 will be packed. The Alco game and both FH games will be SRO. The football blowout games don't draw as well because the Wing T isn't an exciting brand of offense for people to watch. Even in blow-outs the BW second team is going to be jumping out of the gym.

Well yea, you are talking about a game in NYC versus other schools who recruit. Not sure if you want to drive to see BW play in Romney or Accident.

Southern games are already SRO, including the girls many times. You can't get a seat in Oakland when Alco goes there. I know many who were turned away last year. City games have not been SRO, but they have a pretty full gym. Those football games actually have more people in attendance, the stadium seating is just 100 times larger. Smash mouth football, never throwing the ball, has never been an issue for fan attendance the last 75 years in Cumberland.

Last edited:
I learned more watching Coach Prete Saturday doing a 2 hour camp for kids, then I learned playing my entire high school career. He is good.

It's sad to see you're still whining like a little bitch.. lol

Sad, yes.. but standard.

Moving on from Coach Brian who as always just whines and adds no value to the board...

I did get to talk with BW Principal Ray Kiddy a couple months back, and he briefly described that he was completely redeveloping the BW basketball program. Which I have zero interest in because I think the NBA should be on BravoTV and not ESPN, but it was really cool to hear how he's going about it.
We all know how much BW has dropped in every measurable category over the past 20+ years, so Ray found a niche here and is working to regain some relevancy for their school. Like a lot of people on the board here, I don't see how it benefits any other area schools, but if it helps BW, good for them.

Reactions: bigsavage
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT