ADVERTISEMENT

BW

BW will not be on the level of DM, they are a legit top 25 team nationally, but will they be in the same area as most of the better privates in the DMV, yes, they could very well lose all three games in the ACIT next year but they will have the players to compete in those games. IMO the amount of talent brought in for a new program has been impressive, winning breeds long-term success, if they win games, put guys in college, and the coach sticks around long enough, they could build something really nice. I honestly didn't think it would happen so fast with bringing top notch guys in. I hope people will go check out some games this winter, it will be great for local basketball fans

I agree with everything you're saying except DM will be a Top 10 team nationally. Their 7-1 center will only be a junior this year.

Loco09 or has anyone else heard of any more players. I heard from a good source they have 9 transfer players they brought in

Loco09 or has anyone else heard of any more players. I heard from a good source they have 9 transfer players they brought in
Just FYI I have no inside info I just took some interest in this and have been able to find out a good bit. From what I have seen they have at least 8 coming in. 7 of which have been more or less confirmed. Players confirmed through the team's twitter are:

Yavuz Gultekin Sr G/F
Jalen Miller So G
Jordan Miller Sr G
Anthony Torelli Sr G
Callum Baker Sr G
Bendji Pierre So F
Patrick Strite Jr G/F
David Okoye So F (not confirmed)

Cumberland Times-News

CUMBERLAND — Bishop Walsh School officials will hold a forum at 1812 Brewery on Friday to discuss a new five-year plan for the school.

The forum will be from 7 to 10 p.m. with featured speakers to include school Principal Ray Kiddy; Jim Zamagias, academic dean; Ron Nowaczyk, Frostburg State University president; and Brian Mullaney, BW class of 1980.

An information packet about the event says it is to "discuss the positive changes occurring at Bishop Walsh School with interested alumni, city and county officials, and the residents of Allegany, Mineral and Garrett counties. In addition, a five-year plan and its projected impact on the school, community and region will be discussed."

Established in 1966, the Roman Catholic K-12 school is located on Haystack Mountain. Bishop Walsh officials will take questions about the future academic and athletic progress of the school.

"The plan is dealing with enrollment and retainment," said Kiddy. "We excited about the plan and future of the school."

He said Bishop Walsh, with an enrollment of 335, is hoping to achieve an enrollment of about 370 students.

"We want to be careful," Kiddy said. "Our parents like small classroom sizes."

Kiddy said the forum will be informative.

"We are going to discuss the support coming from the Archdiocese of Baltimore," he said. "We have been progressive with our academics. We want to continue that. We have 11 Advanced Placement courses and we co-op with Allegany College of Maryland and we want to extend that to Frostburg State University.

"Our supporters also would like to see a 40-bed dormitory at the school. It would be privatized. We want to develop our athletics to a higher level."

The school hired basketball coach Dan Prete in May. He previously coached at St. James in Hagerstown and Montrose Christian in Rockville. He has coached 40 Division I scholarship athletes and five NBA players and also has a Nike contract to assist with several summer basketball camps.

Glenn Cross, a 1968 BW graduate, is the school's major gift officer. He played football, basketball and baseball at BW and went on to be a football coach.

"The basketball program is going to put us on the map. We are very excited about the basketball program and what Dan Prete will bring. He recruits against Harvard and Brown and he has a good handle of those type things. We will recruit from around the world."

Cross said he thinks the school is headed in a positive direction.

"It's a way to increase enrollment and a way to put us back on the map athletically and academically," he said. "We are doing a lot of good things.

"Anytime you change, people become alerted to it," Cross said. "People want to know what is going to happen and we want to let them know. We want to be completely transparent. We have not forgotten about Cumberland.

"The standards at BW are great and we are going to add a few things to keep it moving forward. Our academic program is wonderful; our scores are above national and Maryland levels."

Follow staff writer Greg Larry on Twitter @GregLarryCTN.

Reactions: cumbfanatic

From that picture it looks like BW also has picked up Wilson Ramabu (top left) who played last year at St.James as well, he will be a junior.

Also saw Yavuz Gultekin just picked up an offer from Georgetown as well.

7 good solid players. Wilson Ramabu had a good season last year as a sophomore. Most of these guys play above the rim. Can the all area team have 5 players from the same team lol

Last edited:
7 good solid players. Wilson Ramabu had a good season last year as a sophomore. Most of these guys play above the rim. Can the all area team have 5 players from the same team lol
I would think they won't play any area Teams and therefore they won't even include them in the selections.
I can't wait to see the Schedule...

The only games i've seen confirmed is a game with St. James and of course the ACIT, it will definitely be interesting to see who they can schedule without being in a league, i'd expect a tournament or two plus probably some DC area private schools, maybe some BCL teams like Goretti outside of that who knows. It will be interesting to see how other schools in the area feel about it and how the community supports it, the recruiting wont really be a negative for other area schools as these arent local players and theres no playoff implications so I hope people get excited for it.

I thought this year they would play the schedule BW already had and add some tournaments and a few more big games. Coach Prete had some bad blood with Goretti last year, so it will be interesting.

I thought this year they would play the schedule BW already had and add some tournaments and a few more big games. Coach Prete had some bad blood with Goretti last year, so it will be interesting.
Its possible but I just can't see Northern, Paw Paw, Calvary, Mountain Ridge, Keyser, etc lining up against a team with at least 3 D1 players voluntarily, this was all done early enough to get a schedule in place but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mishmash kind of schedule this first year

Why didn't BW play Alco or FH in baseball the past few years?
They didnt play a full varsity schedule the last year or two, not sure if it was strictly a numbers issue or a combination with just a lack of being competitive.

Yep, it looks like they are setting the roster up nicely to be competitive long term.

Looks like a similar talent level to what St. James had the last couple years.

Are these kids going to live with host families like minor league players do? Are their families moving here? How is BW pulling this off? Just curious.

"Old German, post: 40197, member: 7244"]Are these kids going to live with host families like minor league players do? Are their families moving here? How is BW pulling this off? Just curious."

The coach is sponsored by Nike. Nike is paying for a lot of BW basketball. BW has a plan to build dormitories for students to live in. This will make money for the school and benefit the community

Looks like a similar talent level to what St. James had the last couple years.
Probably similar yes. Right now there are 3 players with D1 offers and a few more potential D1 players in the future. They wont be a Top 25 quality team but they should be very good and at least competitive with some of the big boys.

There is a kid from Allegany that is planning on playing for BW.

The talent is similar to what St. James had, but this team has more talent

From what I can tell there are 13 players on the team which should be about it, probably one or two more at the end of the bench

Yavuz Gultekin Sr G/F
Jalen Miller So G
Jordan Miller Sr G
Anthony Torelli Sr G
Callum Baker Sr G
Bendji Pierre So F
Patrick Strite Jr G/F
David Okoye So F
Joey Okoye So G/F
Caleb Furr Jr F
Wilson Ramabu Jr F
Olivier Nkamhoua Sr F
Arnold Janeczek Sr G (was at BW last year as well)

No word on a schedule yet but it looks like BW might be involved with the IPSL which includes St James, Goretti, and Mercersburg Academy

Add Marcus Helton a dominate versatile 6'8 forward to the list
Marcus Helton runs the DMV Elite website, his tweets was referring to Olivier Nkamhoua. But yes they have some nice guys in the 6-5 to 6-8 range. No true post player but the game has really shifted away from that anyway.

Since it is now official and he has been working out with them for some time Jamison Fazzalore is the kid from Alco that will be playing bb at BW. He had a big summer playing ball in Frederick. His twin brother is staying at Alco

Last edited:
Reactions: loco09
Confirmed during the extra long Allegany pregame show yesterday, WCBC will be broadcasting all of BWs games this upcoming season.

Reactions: camper21502
WCBC had Bishop Walsh's Principal on the radio and he said this yr. BW had a 16% student increase with a total of 90 new students. He also confirmed Alco and Northern will each play them once in basketball this season. He didn't mention the other area schools.

Even taking out the basketball transfers to add ~75 new students is great for the school, even half of that would have been good really. Good that Alco will play them, gives BW a local city game and gives Alco a test to help them build for the talent they might see if they make it to College Park. Will be interesting if FH follows suit or if they just say no to a game, wouldn't blame them if they did. Not really sure why Northern would play them but kudos for taking on a challenge.

BW should schedule in Basketball
Huntington Prep from Huntington, WV
Teays Valley Prep from Charleston, WV
Beckley Prep from Beckley, WV
Wesylan Christian from KY

Probably the best move for him. I'm sure he's a fine player but he probably saw the writing on the wall that playing time was going to be hard to come by. If he's good enough to play at the next level someone will find him from his AAU and high school performance.

Probably the best move for him. I'm sure he's a fine player but he probably saw the writing on the wall that playing time was going to be hard to come by. If he's good enough to play at the next level someone will find him from his AAU and high school performance.
Did this kid or was it his brother who played for Alco last year?

His twin brother played for Alco. Jamison didn't play. He is going play this year. They both played Summer ball in Frederick and did well. They are big boys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT